Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CornellUTube for hockey highlights

Posted by billhoward 
CornellUTube for hockey highlights
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 06:09PM

Cornell should post game highlight clips on cornellbigred.com or youtube or both. We who made the Yale game but not Brown are all dying to see this year's Cornell goal of the decade.

Let's hope Cornell didn't forget to retain highlight clips rights when it negotiated the current webcast deal.

Re: CornellUTube for hockey highlights
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 14, 2007 06:50PM

billhoward
Cornell should post game highlight clips on cornellbigred.com or youtube or both. We who made the Yale game but not Brown are all dying to see this year's Cornell goal of the decade.

Let's hope Cornell didn't forget to retain highlight clips rights when it negotiated the current webcast deal.

We should also have on-demand access for every game ever played online, have immediate instant replay for all videocasts, provide games in HD format and be downloadable to iPod/PSP, and have a "CU-netflix" option where DVDs of each game are automatically overnighted to your house. Oh, and the lax scoreboard on tv shouldn't be a box because it partially blocks the area behind the goal. Did I forget anything?

Oh, right. That whole university education thingy that the team is attached to.

If you wanted to see that goal, you should've driven the extra 2 hours from New Haven and bought a ticket. We didn't have 50 fans in the stands with camcorders, there wasn't a Providence local news camera there, and I'd rather have the coaching staff worried more about the team than making sure we get our sportscenter highlights on youtube.

"Please put Riley's goal on youtube" is the new "PM me for details."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2007 07:04PM by RichH.

Bill you are preaching to the ...
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 06:54PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2007 06:57PM by marty.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2007 06:59PM

On the other hand, Brown did stream the game live. Has anybody who paid for that tried to access whatever archived video may exist?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 07:34PM

RichH
billhoward

If you wanted to see that goal, you should've driven the extra 2 hours from New Haven and bought a ticket. We didn't have 50 fans in the stands with camcorders, there wasn't a Providence local news camera there, and I'd rather have the coaching staff worried more about the team than making sure we get our sportscenter highlights on youtube.

"Please put Riley's goal on youtube" is the new "PM me for details."

Whoa, that's pretty hard, isn't it? Some people just can't get to every game, but they are still interested. I don't think Bill ever suggested Coach take time to do the footwork, that's why you have sports information departments, etc.. I rather think he has a great idea, however I doubt it will come to pass soon. The technology is certainly simple and it would not take a lot of time for a junior level person to do it all from Ithaca. It would take some negotiations with the other schools and their video companies, but it's doable.

So, let's encourage the idea and not kill the messenger. I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy to see it actually happen, would you?

Date: November 14, 2007 07:38PM

>>> "Please put Riley's goal on youtube" is the new "PM me for details."

One of the best lines of 2007-08, and the season is yet young. Thank you.

The minute somebody starts taping games and putting clips on eLynahtube, Gene or similar is going to find fine print on the back of the ticket that expressly forbids video without express written consent of the commissioner. It might, like, you know, incite something we don't want ... like excessive interest in Cornell hockey.

And in reply to Marty, sure, we're preaching to the [took forever to load] ... choir. But this year we've got some game photos up sooner or later after the home games. Too bad David McKee's dad Carl isn't still around. He must have shot 1,000 photos a game. I thought I went nuts buying cameras but he was a serious collector of glass. He'd probably be customer 1 for the pending Canon 200mm f/2.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 07:49PM

RichH
billhoward

We should also have on-demand access for every game ever played online, have immediate instant replay for all videocasts, provide games in HD format and be downloadable to iPod/PSP, and have a "CU-netflix" option where DVDs of each game are automatically overnighted to your house. Oh, and the lax scoreboard on tv shouldn't be a box because it partially blocks the area behind the goal. Did I forget anything?

Oh, right. That whole university education thingy that the team is attached to.

I guess I missed the part where putting clips on the internet detracts from the educational mission of the university.

You don't think there are at least a few aspiring journalists -- maybe even sports journalists -- in the communications department or elsewhere who wouldn't love the opportunity to take part in an expanded sports information and media effort?

Seems that would provide some excellent real-world experience.

Date: November 14, 2007 08:03PM

We could outsource the whole thing to IK. They have a good broadcast journalism department. A friend of a friend actually transferred from Cornell. Not sure whether more jaws dropped on East or South Hill.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 08:29PM

I watched on b2b and it didnt dawn on me to record the game I just figured they archived them.. it turns out they dont and when the goal was scored it was too late to start recording..

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 14, 2007 10:15PM

Jim Hyla
Whoa, that's pretty hard, isn't it?

Of course it was. I think I made a semi-subconscious decision to jump all over the next person who called for the non-existant clip of the goal to be put on YouTube, and it just happened to be Bill, at the end of a really long work day for me. So, a formal apology to him, it really wasn't meant to be personal. (Although because it was him, I could easily name his usual wish-list. :-) ) Also, kudos to bill for getting the humor in really the only line I wanted to get out by replying.

I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy to see it actually happen, would you?

Of course I would. Hell, I played that Kennedy clip about 30 times just today. But I don't want one red and white cent of the Athletics budget going to something like this, if it means taking anything away from what the Athletics Department is there to do: support and provide for the student athletes. Frankly, a fan-oriented video archive is pretty near dead-last on a list of things I would want money and staff time spent on by Cornell Athletics.

Which answer's Jordan's snarky response to my snarkiness. One character: $

Now this can be folded back to the question of a volunteer effort, but don't ask Age what political personalities can do for a lot of volunteer effort on providing something that costs them nada. The clips online right now are completely due to the existence of media coverage as well as the benefit of having a computer savvy and incredibly obsessed fanbase.

So my suggestion? Not pay a contractor. Get the students involved. Slope TV or whatever that was is the closest thing to a campus station, I guess. Maybe some comm. student can get some sort of thesis going in putting in some new-media approach to making this happen. Education and Athletics in a synergistic paradigm! and other trendy business-y catch-words!

Ithaca College doesn't have just a good broadcast journalism department, bill, it has a very good communications program overall. And music. Both I would place over CU's.

There, I was serious for a bit. Now, really...can someone PLEASE put Riley's goal on YouTube already? I'm waiting!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2007 10:28PM by RichH.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2007 10:31PM

upperdeck
I watched on b2b and it didnt dawn on me to record the game I just figured they archived them.. it turns out they dont and when the goal was scored it was too late to start recording..

IAYF!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 10:50AM

Beeeej
upperdeck

IAYF!
I ate your face? Can we PLEASE stop the hemorrhaging acronyms? IANAL is good for a giggle and all, but come on.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 11:09AM

Section A Banshee
Beeeej
upperdeck

IAYF!
I ate your face? Can we PLEASE stop the hemorrhaging acronyms? IANAL is good for a giggle and all, but come on.
Someone doesn't spend enough time on the Cornell game chat. Sieve.

Posted by: redice (---.154.220.28.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 12:25PM

Section A Banshee
IAYF!

Ditto!!

This is a form of communication. If the reader does not understand the acronym, you haven't communicated your point. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Ironic when one considers that acronyms are intended to save time. Hmmmm

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 12:58PM

redice
This is a form of communication. If the reader does not understand the acronym, you haven't communicated your point. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Ironic when one considers that acronyms are intended to save time. Hmmmm
You're right, because without acronyms nobody on Elynah would ever make obscure references only a handful of readers are supposed to get.

I'm going to sit and wait for Greg, Bill, or someone else to bring up the acronym/abbreviation distinction now.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 02:10PM

Jacob 03
redice
You're right, because without acronyms nobody on Elynah would ever make obscure references only a handful of readers are supposed to get.
Jerk.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 02:17PM

ugarte
Jacob 03
redice
Jerk.

Typical. rolleyes

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 02:59PM

Section A Banshee
Beeeej
upperdeck

IAYF!

It wasn't only me. All I could find was "Information at Your Fingertips" which didn't make much sense. :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 04:37PM

"I Am Yeshiva's Finest"

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 04:45PM

ursusminor

It wasn't only me. All I could find was "Information at Your Fingertips" which didn't make much sense. :-D[/quote

Luke, IAYF (I Am Your Father)

Beats me, too.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 08:57PM

Sorry, I have to be nice... I'm a bleeding heart...

"It's All Your Fault"

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2007 01:06AM

DeltaOne81
Sorry, I have to be nice... I'm a bleeding heart...

"It's All Your Fault"

I think Ursaminor might have heard that 6 times when the Big Red was last in Troy. But the result could be different this year. RIP is looking to crawl out of the grave in the not too distant future.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 16, 2007 01:04PM

Luke, IAYF.

starwars

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login