Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: Cornell to name new prez today

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
OT: Cornell to name new prez today
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 11:57AM

According to today's Ithaca Journal, Cornell will announce its new president at 2pm today. Any bets?

[theithacajournal.com]

Re: OT: Cornell to name new prez today
Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 12:00PM

I bet he/she will be tall.

Posted by: chag (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 12:26PM

I've MADE my prediction now, but I'll wait til after 2 to post it. I think My prediction will be more accurate that way. What do you think, artist formerly known as ?
;-)

Posted by: Matthew Miller (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 01:28PM

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you...

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

It will be a woman.
Posted by: jeh25 (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 01:39PM

Or barring a woman, I think it might be an Anbinder.... yark ;-)

Re: It will be a woman.
Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 01:41PM

Why not both? Both Mom ('62) and Aunt Maddy ('60) are highly qualified. :-D

Beeeej

Date: December 14, 2002 02:22PM

Jeffrey Lehman, currently Dean of the University of Michigan's Law School, will be Cornell's 11th President.

[theithacajournal.com]

Beeeej

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: December 14, 2002 02:34PM

Lehman is Cornell '77. He has to have some good memories of Cornell hockey, right? Perhaps bring a fan's vision back to the administration of the program? I think someone should drop him a note about HockeyCam right away. . .

Posted by: Larry72 (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 03:01PM

I was invited to the lunch today where Jeffrey Lehman '77 was officially announced as the 11th President of Cornell. (One of the perks of being Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce.)

At the end of the lunch, current President Rawlings remarked that in addition to all the academic and research greatness of Cornell that was talked about by Jeff in his remarks, Cornell is currently ranked #4 in NCAA Division 1 mens hockey and will have the opportunity to improve that ranking against #2 Maine.

He also mentioned that Jeff's son (a CU freshman) had asked that now that his father was President of Cornell, could he get hockey tickets. He then had Coach Schafer along with Matt and Mark McRrae come up and present Jeff with a pair of CU hockey tickets along with a Cornell hockey puck!! I think we have a couple of new members of the Lynah Faithful!

Larry

Posted by: chag (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 03:17PM

And visions of hockeycams dance in our heads......

Posted by: pat (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 03:17PM

Streaming video of the remarks from the lunch should be up on the web by 6:00 or so Saturday. (Free of charge.)

Date: December 14, 2002 03:21PM

Anyone know if he's from the Lehman Brothers family--Arthur and Herbert?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 03:22PM

[Q]Streaming video of the remarks from the lunch should be up on the web by 6:00 or so Saturday. (Free of charge.)[/Q]
Yeah... for now... we'll see once everyone else is about to move to charging for them... rolleyes

Date: December 14, 2002 03:30PM

Thanks for all of your hard work on the Search Committee, Pat. Nice job on finding a hockey fan. :-))

Beeeej

Posted by: mha (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 03:34PM

It's not so off topic. The news that Rawlings was to step down broke while we were in Lake Placid. I actually posted the "breaking news" bulletin in 14850 Today from the press room at the 1980 Olympic Arena.

A bit better facilities at my disposal to post today's piece.

[today.14850.com]

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 03:48PM

How tall is he?

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 04:49PM

5'6"

Posted by: Hillel (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 04:52PM

Big Red Apple sez: "Lehman is Cornell '77. He has to have some good memories of Cornell hockey, right?"

Hoooooboy, '77 is a fine vintage. Perhaps one of the finest CU sports salmon runs ever. I'm jealous. Not just good memories of another great hockey team (Ivy champs--women too). But think about this: Apart from the ugly football memories of getting fisted by Yale's Spagnola/Pagliaro and the period's numbing hoops malaise, '77 brought Cornell Ivy championships in soccer (badass team), crew (won IRA regatta too), baseball (cracked national top 25?!), and probably others sports that I'm forgetting. Shoot, even fencing, before its recent rude departure, was on fire then, winning the Ivies (and being national runner up a few years before). But most of all you get memories of watching (arguably) the greatest collegiate lacrosse team ever. Imagine two national championships in yer upperclass years. Heavenly.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 05:35PM

Here's his online faculty bio:[cgi2.www.law.umich.edu] . Not much more than already listed. However I hope he rings true to his research papers, such as, "Desperately Seeking a Voice (Symposium: Leadership in Legal Education)". Maybe we can finally get some input with the AD.

Date: December 14, 2002 06:20PM

5'9" on skates.

Beeeej

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 06:51PM

Ok, I know this is even more off topic, but this just came to my attention as I was reading the new Prez press release on www.cornell.edu. Has anyone taken a look at Cornell's home page lately, and compared it to those of the other Ivies? I think that save for perhaps Columbia's, ours is easily the nastiest, disgusting, pathetic excuse for a home page welcoming all the world to our school.

Who controls that home page and why does it stink so bad? (especially given the presence of creative, talented people on campus that could really make it look with the times)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: December 14, 2002 07:13PM

Yeah, there has been discussed amoung the CIT student staff several times. We also submitted feedback and actually got the page improved to something where you could tell what was a link and what wasn't (kinda), and to something where the most obvious graphic on the page wasn't the "donate" one (how sketchy is that?).

Anyway, if you click Contact Cornell on the left, there's a feedback form. If a few people submit similar feedback, they tend to be rsponsive, but do the bear minimum to meet your suggestions.

Date: December 14, 2002 07:17PM

They tend to be very defensive about it, though - many, MANY people wrote in when they first changed the design to suggest that it was overly-simplistic, poorly laid out, and just plain bad. But if you didn't have any specific criticisms, they (justifiably, IMHO) responded with a request for more specific suggestions rather than just "the homepage sucks."

Some people's tastes are different from others (as evidenced by Hunter's love of the new "Whatever" Cornell logo), and so just saying they did a bad job isn't very constructive. They might be very happy with the way it looks.

Beeeej

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 02:58PM

Apart from the ugly football memories

Wasn't Joey Holland scoring touchdowns like crazy then? At least we were still full-fledged Div. 1 at the time, not like the 1-AA insult that was thrown our way in 1982.

Date: December 15, 2002 04:37PM

Syracuse newspaper article [www.syracuse.com] . I wonder where his daughter was undergrad? States his father was Cornellian, who?
I used printer format to get rid of nonsense on their page.

Posted by: JDeafv (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 05:54PM

On the main Cornell website you can watch the video from the luncheon naming the new president. If you start watching at minute 46 you can skip all but the hockey reference and continue watching to the end for a last minute hockey comment ... enjoy.

Date: December 15, 2002 09:23PM

WOW
Is this wonderful or what. Second only to being able to listen to CU hockey, this is what makes the internet so great for me. Now that we have a true, hopefully, hockey fan close to the president-elect, maybe we can solve our problem. :-P

Posted by: Adam '01 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 09:57PM

I know it's great to be the king's son and everything, but why couldn't that kid just wait on line for hockey tickets like everyone else??

Date: December 16, 2002 07:48AM

His father: Leonard Lehman, '49, according to Monday's Ithaca Journal.

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 09:37AM

Adam '01 wrote:[Q]I know it's great to be the king's son and everything, but why couldn't that kid just wait on line for hockey tickets like everyone else??[/Q]
Because he's probably just a facetimer, albeit now a very powerful facetimer. I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I'm betting that's the case.

Posted by: beanmaestro (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 06:19PM

Aw, sheesh. He's a freshman, and we've played seven home games so far? Give the kid a chance to learn the ropes. Or kick his OC around for not telling him where and when the ticket line formed :)

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: December 16, 2002 09:21PM

Slight modification to what I said earlier...apparently, the tickets given to the kid were tickets to the games in Estero in a few weeks. So I don't know if 'facetimer' is a fair label or not. In any case, he's damned lucky to be able to get to see the Big Red, in sunny Florida no less.

Posted by: Roy82 (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 09:24PM

Our new Prez looked mightly respectable and unruffled by Ed Bradley on 60 minutes last night. They were doing a piece on the UMich reverse discrimination lawsuit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login