Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Above it all

Posted by Greg Berge 
Above it all
Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 06:30PM

Our next game, by the USA Today poll just out:

#1 Maine vs. #3 Cornell

By USCHO:

#2 Maine vs. #3 Cornell

[uscollegehockey.com]

T minus 1 win till Arrival.

Re: Above it all
Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 06:40PM

:-D Praise be!!! :-D

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: December 16, 2002 07:01PM

How disappointing two top-three teams are going head-to-head, and neither will have their top netminder.

Sure, it is great in other ways (congrats again, Lenny and whatshisname from Maine) but Estero would be better if both teams were at full strength.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 08:09PM

But now we at least have an excuse should it not go our way uhoh

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 08:31PM

I hate to think of it as an excuse, even though it may well really be that if we do indeed lose to Maine and it turns out our goaltending was shaky. I like to think of it more as a disappointment, like BRA alluded to, that we can't have our full team there with all its balance of defense, offense, and great goaltending to go up against the impressive Maine team (people keep talking about their speed & offense, but they seem to have a tight defense too and 2 goalies that seem to be among the tops in the nation).

I mean, not only is there a chance for a huge non conference win, it also would be a great addition to the argument that we really aren't the EZAC. Of course, that won't be proved by just one game by Cornell vs. a top team. It's got to be proven by teams at #3-#7 at least getting to a .500 record against the major conferences. But at least a win against an HE powerhouse would be a start.

I'm really looking forward to this matchup, but I have a nagging feeling that we'll lose to Maine in a UHN style game. It won't be a blowout either way, and I dont think anyone is predicting that anyway, but we will probably lose by 1-2 goals and have a sour taste in our mouths about the potential huge win that got away. My (early) prediction: 5-3.

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: December 16, 2002 09:23PM

I hate to be a pessimist, but I think I'm with littleredfan on this. We'll lose in a close game. But I also get the feeling we'll get the chance to redeem ourselves in the NCAA tournament and beat Maine there. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 09:29PM

I'm on the pessimistic side also...

Or maybe I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for seeing the team lose... uhoh

Posted by: nyc94 (---)
Date: December 17, 2002 09:55AM

I'm a little pessimistic as well, especially with a goalie who's total time in net for the year is 0 minutes. But I think we have a chance if the team can keep things under control at the beginning of the game and not fall behind like the New Hampshire game last year or as Harvard did against Maine. Presumably, the coaches have the defense prepared. Also, I think the veteran players are ready for this and won't be even the slightest bit intimated - as I suspect they might have been in last year's NCAAs, if only for the first period.

Posted by: cmoberg (---)
Date: December 17, 2002 09:55AM

I was at the Maine/Harvard game and Maine did not look dominating and that was with Howard in goal. Do not write off our chances. We have speed and a punishing defense, this should position us well against Maine. Harvard did not play the body like we do.

Harvard got LOTS of shots on Maine and Howard played pretty well. Harvard shot low almost all the time. I dont know if this was the scouting report on Howard, but IMHO they should have gone high. And has been said elsewhere, the iron saved Howard on a number of occasions. And the officating was Hockey East (MAINE) biased!!!

Cornell would do well to key on Colin Shields on any Maine power play. He is there prominent cutter and play maker. They play 3 high, 2 low and cut in from the top. Theire power play looks similar to ours.

GO RED!!

Chris Moberg '79

Check the calendar
Posted by: cbuckser (---)
Date: December 17, 2002 11:56AM

Undoubtedly, the December 28 game against Maine is a big game. It would have been fun if both teams were to meet at full strength; however, great holiday-tournament matchups are often affected by WJC participation. That's the nature of the beast.

There is a decent chance that Cornell and Maine will meet again in the NCAA Tournament. The results of that game would matter infinitely more than the results of the game at the Everblades College Classic.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: December 17, 2002 04:52PM

While it isn't the end of the world if we lose in Estero, it does have the potential to be a huge boon if we win. The cascade effect of another win against HE, another win against a TUC, and a head-to-head win against Maine would help us in several ways during the PWR selection and the committee seeding. The name of the game here is to give the "well, they don't count they're just from the ECAC" morons no ammunition, and if Cornell comes out of Estero 7-0-0 in NC games, with wins against OSU, BU, BU, Maine, and either OSU or a currently #16 UMA, that equals no ammunition.

This is the biggest game on the Cornell RS calendar. I know they'll be up for it, and teams often produce incredible emotional efforts when their star is gone. It's there for the taking.

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: December 18, 2002 12:32AM

and WMU WMU. They aren't ranked, but not bad either.

Pessimists leave, now!
Posted by: Alan (65.205.40.---)
Date: December 18, 2002 11:12AM

The game against Maine is pivotal, but not make-or-break! That being said, let me lay down my prediction.

Cornell will win a nailbiter, 3-2. Our skaters have improved over last year. Our defense is the most stifling in the country. We don't lay down a lot of shots on goal, but they are mostly high quality shots with a high percentage going in. We have been having troubles, lately on special teams, but remain one of the best in the country in PP and PK.

Now, for what the pessimists are overlooking. Maine's replacement goalie is Frank Doyle, the number 2 goalie in the nation in GAA at 1.54. But, the teams that he has played are 40-55-14 combined. And, he sees fewer shots-on-goal per game than Lenny (Maine gives up fewer shots to sub-par teams). Yes, he did face WMU and BC, both ties. But, the only teams with current winning percentages that he has faced is Quinnipiac and BC. Maine's bread and butter appears to be their special teams. I'm certain that Schafer is keying up on this and we will have the edge come game time.

I look forward to a great defensive matchup, incredible special teams play, and fantastic skating. The only thing that I am sure of, is that the game will see great players who go to the puck and play the man very hard. This should be an instant classic.

I hope I didn't piss-off any other Cornell fans. Just the way I see it.

Rough 'em up, Rough 'em up, GO CU!

Re: Pessimists leave, now!
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: December 18, 2002 11:17AM

Didn't piss me off, Alan.;-)

Re: Pessimists leave, now!
Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: December 18, 2002 11:23AM

The only reason you pissed me off was that you made me more upset that I won't be there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login