Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red-White Scrimmage

Posted by Trotsky 
Red-White Scrimmage
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:12AM

Not that there is any reason why it should be, but is there any A/V coverage of tomorrow night's game?

Re: Red-White Scrimmage
Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 02:56PM

Trotsky
Not that there is any reason why it should be, but is there any A/V coverage of tomorrow night's game?

I don't believe there was last year, but don't quote me on that. I don't see anything on the cornellbigred.com site either, but I figure they've gotta get an announcement up soon about the new webcast system as the exhibiton games are right around the corner, and York was viewable last year if I remember correctly.

Speaking of the red/white game though, does anyone remember how the goalie situation worked last year with 3 goalies...did DiLeo get any ice time, or was it just a Scrivenport battle?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 02:58PM by sah67.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 04:04PM

Last year all 3 goalies split ice time and even rotated between the teams as they needed.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 04:48PM

grizzdan24
Last year all 3 goalies split ice time and even rotated between the teams as they needed.
I think that's been the typical over the years when there have been three healthy goalies at the red/white.

Report?
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 09:48PM

Any comments or thoughts for those of us who couldn't be at Lynah tonight? Score? How did Scrivenport/the freshmen look? Not that the red/white game is necessarily a great barometer for how the team will play when it counts, but just curious.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 10:34PM

Team looked very rough around the edges, as is usual for the red white game. There didn't seem to be any distinct lines or defensive pairings, as Schafer mixed them up all game it seemed. Contrary to years past, the teams were fairly balanced and play got physical along the boards at times. Of all the newcomers, I must say Mike Devin impressed me the most with his hockey sense and seemed to be skating with a lot of confidence as well.

They played two "periods" which were broken up into smaller segments of PP, 4 on 4, etc. A shootout followed, with every player getting a shot at goaltenders who rotated teams. Interestingly, it was the freshmen and club players who did most of the scoring here, which Schafer seemed to get a kick out of.

The crowd was embarrassingly quiet, I'd say less than 50 students showed up, most of whom were content to sit on their hands.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: October 13, 2007 10:37PM

How'd Nash look?

Doug '08
Team looked very rough around the edges, as is usual for the red white game. There didn't seem to be any distinct lines or defensive pairings, as Schafer mixed them up all game it seemed. Contrary to years past, the teams were fairly balanced and play got physical along the boards at times. Of all the newcomers, I must say Mike Devin impressed me the most with his hockey sense and seemed to be skating with a lot of confidence as well.

They played two "periods" which were broken up into smaller segments of PP, 4 on 4, etc. A shootout followed, with every player getting a shot at goaltenders who rotated teams. Interestingly, it was the freshmen and club players who did most of the scoring here, which Schafer seemed to get a kick out of.

The crowd was embarrassingly quiet, I'd say less than 50 students showed up, most of whom were content to sit on their hands.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 10:41PM

calgARI '07
How'd Nash look?

Pretty good, he was sitting in the press box. innocent

Date: October 13, 2007 10:50PM

Some of my impressions from tonight's game:

-I agree with Doug, Mike Devin looked very good tonight. He has a good wrist /snap shot from the point and consistently put it on net. That should help the PP this season if he gets some playing time.

-Riley Nash didn't seem to have much intensity. Even his penalty shot at the end seemed lackluster. Think Sasha Pokulok's sophomore season.

-Mike Kennedy looked very good. He also had some good strong wrist shots from the point that again were on net.

-Not sure why Chris Fontas was playing D today, but with only 7 healthy D on the roster, he could have been getting a look as an emergency fill-in from the coaches.

-Last thing, both Red and White struggled to clear the puck from the zone when playing 5-on-5. That seemed to be a problem last year that led to a uncharacteristic turn-over goals. Hopefully that doesn't continue this year.

-I agree with Schafer's comments on the athletics website, the intensity was pretty good for an opening scrimmage.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 11:01PM

JDeafv
-Riley Nash didn't seem to have much intensity. Even his penalty shot at the end seemed lackluster. Think Sasha Pokulok's sophomore season.

worry

Date: October 13, 2007 11:14PM

I was not impressed by Nash either. He didn't seem to have the faintest idea what to do on his PP shift, and 5 on 5 he seemed hesitant to get too involved in the action, especially along the boards. As we all know, he could really benefit from bulking up. He did show flashes of his stick skills on one possession when he was carrying it into the zone, although the play was bitter-sweet as his line mate was clearly offsides (no call by the ref). He missed his penalty shot, making one stick fake and then switching to the backhand where he wasn't able to get much on a flick up at a well-positioned goaltender (DiLeo I believe). What impressed me the most about his game were his hands.

Brendon on the otherhand, as JDeafv mentioned, spent the game in the pressbox and chatting with Ken Dryden.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 11:25PM

Doug '08
Brendon on the otherhand, as JDeafv mentioned, spent the game in the pressbox and chatting with Ken Dryden.

Not a bad way to spend an evening.

It sounds they achieved all the Red-White should achieve: no injuries.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 12:07AM

Trotsky
It sounds they achieved all the Red-White should achieve: no injuries.
And no brawls like 2 years ago!

On a side note, I thought the most impressive player on the ice tonight was the club player Joe McDonald.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 03:32AM

Did any one else think that Barlow was particuarly impressive tonight? He showed some really impressive stick skills, and was just generally more assertive in the offensive zone than I've seen him in years past. I wonder if he's teasing us or if he's due to breakout.

I thought that Greening looked strong as well, which is not that suprising considering the way he finished last season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2007 03:37AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 09:46AM

JDeafv
Time to panic. This must be why the western schools let us have him.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 10:43AM

evilnaturedrobot
Did any one else think that Barlow was particuarly impressive tonight? He showed some really impressive stick skills, and was just generally more assertive in the offensive zone than I've seen him in years past. I wonder if he's teasing us or if he's due to breakout.

I thought that Greening looked strong as well, which is not that suprising considering the way he finished last season.

I also thought Barlow stood out...Mugford too. The surprise for me was Jordan Berk (#16), who played well and with intensity.

Date: October 14, 2007 06:51PM

I agree, Barlow did show more stick handling skills than he's showed in previous seasons.

Date: October 14, 2007 09:30PM

Doug '08

Dryden actually spent the second time block (seems silling to call it a period) signing autographs and shaking hands at the extreme right of section A. Meeting him was a thrill, and he was everybit as nice and well spoken as his reputation would imply.

Date: October 14, 2007 10:17PM

evilnaturedrobot
Doug '08

Dryden actually spent the second time block (seems silling to call it a period) signing autographs and shaking hands at the extreme right of section A. Meeting him was a thrill, and he was everybit as nice and well spoken as his reputation would imply.

He took the time to have a genuine conversation with every single person that approached him, endless patience. Being around him was such a humbling experiance for everyone, he is such an incredible human being. What an honor to meet him, and many of the other legends from the Harkness Era as well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2007 10:19PM by Doug '08.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 09:07AM

Looks like the Ithaca Journal has a couple of articles about the Red/White game. Well, an article and a half:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.73.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2007 02:58PM

I, too, was not impressed with Riley Nash. I suspect he's still feeling his way along toward the faster game that is NCAA hockey. We'll see a different Riley Nash in coming weeks.

Jordan Berk looks like a player who will see significant time on the blueline.

-Ned Harkness

Re: Report?
Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: October 15, 2007 11:10PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned the presence of Huggy Bear painted at center-ice. yark

Date: October 15, 2007 11:26PM

RichH
Surprised nobody has mentioned the presence of Huggy Bear painted at center-ice. yark

Yeah, it's a bad logo whether it's on the ice or vibrating on the website.

What I don't get is why have it at all? Do any of our sports teams actually use it on their uniforms?

Date: October 15, 2007 11:34PM

Can't say I care for the logo. Either a simple "C" or nothing at all would suffice.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2007 12:50AM

That bear was disgusting, agreed. How about that new ECAC logo, eh?

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 10:26AM

imafrshmn
How about that new ECAC logo, eh?

Not bad, actually. Simple, unobtrusive, yet the bold font makes it readable...it looks good on the ice. I definitely like it more than the "Saturn Ring" logo. I would be remiss in my duties as Crotchety Old Fart if I neglected to say that I miss the hokiness of the old torch logo:

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 04:39PM

RichH
I miss the hokiness of the old torch logo:

Bleh. Looks like it was designed at Clarkson.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.moore.clarkson.edu)
Date: October 16, 2007 04:48PM

ugarte
RichH

that logo has just the right ratio of Green and Gold:Red and White

Posted by: DL (116.76.33.---)
Date: October 22, 2007 12:37AM

Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

I'd say the same about the new logo.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2007 02:19AM

Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

It has the right ratio of cool and classy to fashionable and bland.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.247.72-86.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 04:17AM

jtwcornell91
Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

Traitor.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.moore.clarkson.edu)
Date: October 23, 2007 08:57AM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

Traitor.

I've been called far worse. I was expecting some sort of slur about north country hicks or inbreeding...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 10:42AM by Dpperk29.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2007 10:28AM

Soon enough.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 10:54AM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

Traitor.

Oh, for the love of Pete Tufford. When the logo started getting stuck on the jerseys, each school in the leage had it with the color scheme of their school.

There, happy?

PS: I write this knowing full well that it is typical ugarte I happen to be replying to and that he's not serious. More replying to Clarkson-ites taking ownership of a color scheme they didn't even have a monopoly of back in the day. And it's YELLOW. :-D :-D
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 10:59AM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:14AM

RichH
ugarte
jtwcornell91
Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

Traitor.

Oh, for the love of Pete Tufford. When the logo started getting stuck on the jerseys, each school in the leage had it with the color scheme of their school.

There, happy?

PS: I write this knowing full well that it is typical ugarte I happen to be replying to and that he's not serious. More replying to Clarkson-ites taking ownership of a color scheme they didn't even have a monopoly of back in the day. And it's YELLOW. :-D :-D

Didn't either Clarkson or UVM not actually use the unchanged logo, even though they conceivably could have?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 11:50AM

RichH
Subway owns Clarkson.

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 01:08PM

Josh '99
RichH
Subway owns Clarkson.

Clarkson's Clarky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.247.72-86.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:37PM

Dpperk29
ugarte
jtwcornell91
Dpperk29
ugarte
RichH

Traitor.

I've been called far worse. I was expecting some sort of slur about north country hicks or inbreeding...
I wasn't talkin' to you.

Turncoat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login