Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2007-08 fan wishlist

Posted by RichH 
2007-08 fan wishlist
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 02:49PM

OK, we're having fun squeezing the life out of our regular and new punchlines and shaking out the PO'ed fair-weather angry-ites. Thought I'd attempt some sort of rational discussion. (I know, I know...what am I smoking?)

Here's a list of things I'd like to see happen next season to improve the Cornell hockey experience from the fan's point of view, student and townie alike. These have nothing to do with the product on the ice, otherwise I'd just start the perennial "let's recruit a blue-chip sniper" debate. Some of these will be petty and selfish, I know, but it is just an online message board. What else are they to be used for?

1) Fix/replace All-Access.
Most obvious one. Enough has been written here about it. We all know it. After the experience of the Duke lax webcast with ACC Select...we now know a quality product & model is not only possible, but is in use now. Most of us would gladly pay for a reliable service. I'd prefer it to be internal to the university, but if a league-wide service like ACC Select exists, why not try an ECAC or Ivy League branded subscription service? CSTV is too bloated and difficult in its current form.

2) Go back to old starting times.
There's a fairly large number of people with jobs who attend games. The start times for games were 7:30 on Fridays, 7:00 on Saturdays. Maybe that's too difficult to remember. With the universal 7:00 start times, I've found myself hitting snags in sneaking out of the office, traffic delays, etc. that I get there late. For the Dartmouth game in Hanover, the start time was pushed back to 7:30 due to an afternoon women's game. It may have only been 30 minutes, but I found that extra time to be a luxury. Gives people time to fight traffic, get into town, find parking, and/or maybe have a bite to eat before heading to to the arena. Games will still end by 9:45.

3) Put the games on a real radio station
Related to my driving into town on Friday nights during games. WHCU is forced to cut their power at dusk. It'd be nice to be able to pick up the games further than 5 miles outside of Ithaca city limits. There was a time when the games were on WVBR, and I could listen in from the Rochester area. Going to and from homecoming this year, I was able to pull in Colgate hockey radio broadcasts for a good 2 hours of my drive. Doesn't Eagle Broadcasting own just about every radio station in Ithaca anyway? Syracuse sports blankets central NY on I100; there's no reason why CU Hockey can't get on a station with more power than a lightbulb.

4) Intermission entertainment.
Dave's costumes and a beach ball are the best we can do? Bring back the skating bears, the pee-wee hockey, figure skaters, the puck-shooting contests (That plywood board is back there somewhere). Anything, so I'm not tempted to read what inane txt message the girl in front of me is sending. OMG lol!!!!11

5) Full stands for warmups.
(Wheee, hypocrisy, given my guilt in #2) Hey kids! Want to know when the best time for taunting is? Try showing up at Lynah an hour early. Back in the day, a full student section was the norm, and it was fun, it was intimidating, and it actually helped make the anticipation for the game that much greater. It also gets the creativity juices flowing, and just maybe you could get under the skin of that giant, no-talent defensman earlier than normal. That's one thing that made going to Lynah feel more like an event. The student sections have been great and loud the last few years, with the exception of the first 5 minutes of the game, when they are still empty.

6) Student/usher Détente
Get to know your usher. Most of them aren't power-hungry nazis, honest. They're just given marching orders. If you took the time to talk to them at least so they'd know your face and that you aren't some little snot-nosed punk, and maybe give a little leeway. It goes the opposite way. Ushers: not all students are "up to no-good."

7) Fire Andy.
Seriously. Rainbows will appear. Roses will bloom. Give it a try.

Re: 2007-08 fan wishlist
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2007 07:11PM

As far as intermission entertainment goes, I'd settle for just having someone in the helmet-with-the-blast-shield-down trying to get to the Subway banner on the ice again. And I can't believe that Cornell can't find anyone in the Ithaca community who is a decent skater and is willing to wear the suit. I miss the striptease by the bears, too. (Wow, there's a sentence I never thought I'd say.)

I loved how some people on Facebook were bragging--not just happy but bragging--that the beanie hat usher's hat was stolen. Real classy, guys. Way to go. rolleyes Yes, détente would be nice.

One thing I'd like to see as a fan is to have the two groups of students cheering and clapping in sync. I know we bitch about this a lot here, but it's actually not that hard to accomplish. For anything involving clapping at least, the trick is to not just rely on listening for audio cues, but to also watch the townie sections and see how they're clapping.

Posted by: fullofgas (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2007 08:10PM

Cheering synchronicity aside, I'd wish for players staying four years (at least) and allowing our boys to become the fully realized team that they can be!

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2007 11:32PM

Slow down the cheers especially "It's all your fault - It's all your fault - It's all your fault"

But like I said before this doesn't begin with the crowd. It begins with the drummer who has to regulate the beats when we count up the goals.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2007 11:54PM

Oat
Slow down the cheers especially "It's all your fault - It's all your fault - It's all your fault"

But like I said before this doesn't begin with the crowd. It begins with the drummer who has to regulate the beats when we count up the goals.

The beats when we count up the goals are done to the same tempo as "Davy," and always have been (at least in the twenty years I know as "always";). Do you want 'em to slow down "Davy"?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2007 11:59PM

Beeeej
Oat

The beats when we count up the goals are done to the same tempo as "Davy," and always have been (at least in the twenty years I know as "always";). Do you want 'em to slow down "Davy"?

Not only that, but I always thought part of the speed was the frenzy following a goal... the thing would speed up on its own, trust me.

Re: 2007-08 fan wishlist - Duke showed the way
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 01:09AM

Right on about moving past the CSTV webcast fiasco. Seeing the Duke / ACC lax webcast was an eye-opener, with multiple camera angles (no heads in the way on any of them), an announcer dedicated to the Webcast (not the radio voiceover), and instant replays. See, it can be done right.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: March 27, 2007 01:27AM

[joke]
all the cornell players that are ready to move on to higher levels of hockey to do so...
[/joke]

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 02:45AM

1. To expand on Rich's suggestion...how about having the student sections full a little earlier than 5 minutes into the first period, let alone during warmups.

2. More than 1 goal for Tyler Mugford (and not ENGs either)...come on, he deserves it.

3. Topher wearing the C, and Seminoff wearing the A, although I'll admit this is hard to judge from a fan's perspective since we know little about the leadership abilities of players in the locker room, during practice, etc.

4. Concession stand pizza that doesn't suck.

5. A fan penalty box for the first idiot at each game to yell "see ya asshole, you lose" or "shooooooot it! stop passing!"

6. Something other than "Section O Sucks" or "Safety School" for visiting fans. I heard very little in the way of creative cheering aimed at opposing fans this year. I was waiting for the "Potsdam White Trash" five clap, but it never happened. Then again, Tech's fans seemed a bit more sedate than usual this year...but they still deserved it ;)

7. To never ever hear again an advertisement for flu shots at Gannett that mentioned "It's all your fault" and "sieve". I'm amazed Arthur was even able to read that all the way through whout cracking...the man's got talent.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 27, 2007 10:49AM

sah67
Are they moving Lynah out of Ithaca? If not, by the time the good pizza arrives from Brooklyn, it will also suck.

Friends don't let friends eat sports facility pizza.

Posted by: Rich S (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 11:30AM

I believe that the game times are standard for all ECAC teams. It's unlikely that cornell alone could make the change to 7 30 pm.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 11:38AM

ugarte
sah67
Are they moving Lynah out of Ithaca? If not, by the time the good pizza arrives from Brooklyn, it will also suck.

Why in the world would you eat rink food at a home game?

Date: March 27, 2007 11:38AM

Rich S
I believe that the game times are standard for all ECAC teams. It's unlikely that cornell alone could make the change to 7 30 pm.

Right, I understand that. I meant a league-wide change, as I referenced a road game. Sorry for the confusion.

Another correction, the Cornell games were broadcast on Q-104 (now Q-Country) when I could listen to them in Rochester. I don't remember what years they were on WVBR.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 11:44AM by RichH.

Posted by: Rich S (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 11:43AM

I'd definitely be in favor of that change and I know a lot of other fans who would agree.

Is that determined by agreement of the ADs or by Steve Hagwell?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 12:10PM

KeithK
ugarte
sah67

Maybe you're late getting into town and don't want to wait until after the game to eat something?

Posted by: sah67 (128.253.207.---)
Date: March 27, 2007 01:06PM

ugarte
sah67

Pizza Aroma or Ginos are not perfect, but would be much better stand-ins for real NYC pizza than any of the mass-market Pizza Johns/Papa Hut dogfood they shell out at sports facilities. Then again, small restaurants like those would pretty much have to cease all normal business operations to supply sporting events with pizza.

KeithK

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Those times being, as Josh alluded to, rushing back to Ithaca from out-of-town to catch a game without having eaten for the previous 24 hours. I won't make that mistake again (the rink pizza part, not the not-eating-for-24-hours part)

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 01:44PM

sah67
7. To never ever hear again an advertisement for flu shots at Gannett that mentioned "It's all your fault" and "sieve". I'm amazed Arthur was even able to read that all the way through whout cracking...the man's got talent.

Say wha?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 27, 2007 02:22PM

sah67
KeithK

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Those times being, as Josh alluded to, rushing back to Ithaca from out-of-town to catch a game without having eaten for the previous 24 hours. I won't make that mistake again (the rink pizza part, not the not-eating-for-24-hours part)
I've gone to hockey games hungry many, many times. I've always chosen food after the game when in Ithaca (esp. Hot Truck). I've occasionally stooped to rink food on the road and generally regretted it.

Date: March 27, 2007 02:25PM

French Rage
sah67

Say wha?

During one of the homestands (maybe Yale/Brown?), Arthur read an advertisement from Gannett that had such gems as "Hey Lynah Faithful, don't want to be a sieve for germs? Then come to Gannett for your flu shot, otherwise it's all your fault." I'm probably paraphrasing badly here, but you get the point...it was frightening.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 02:29PM

ugarte
sah67

Why can't the hotelies bid on the rink food concession and the engineers on setting up a webcast and appropriate backhaul capabilities? Engineering? Even BOCES would be an improvement over CSTV.

Date: March 27, 2007 02:31PM

KeithK
sah67
KeithK

I've gone to hockey games hungry many, many times. I've always chosen food after the game when in Ithaca (esp. Hot Truck). I've occasionally stooped to rink food on the road and generally regretted it.

Jerk. Now I'll have to consider myself a facetimer n00b because I ate rink pizza.

And of all the post-game options, you choose Hot Truck? :-O
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 02:32PM by sah67.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 02:36PM

sah67
French Rage
sah67

Say wha?

During one of the homestands (maybe Yale/Brown?), Arthur read an advertisement from Gannett that had such gems as "Hey Lynah Faithful, don't want to be a sieve for germs? Then come to Gannett for your flu shot, otherwise it's all your fault." I'm probably paraphrasing badly here, but you get the point...it was frightening.

There's something cornily awesome about that.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: March 27, 2007 02:40PM

sah67
Jerk. Now I'll have to consider myself a facetimer n00b because I ate rink pizza.

Typical.

Maybe Hot Truck has gone downhill since Bob retired. I haven't had enough of a sample to be sure. But Hot Truck is flat out my favorite food experience at Cornell. Thinking about a double PMP, heavy, soprano makes my mouth water. Especially when it's approaching lunch time.

Given the options that were around during my tenure on the Hill (pretty much all of the 90's) I find it pretty much mind boggling that anyone wouldn't put Hot Truck at the top of the list for late night fare. But maybe times have changed.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 02:41PM

But I think the best way to improve the fan's experience is to recruit a blue-chip sniper.

Date: March 27, 2007 02:48PM

KeithK
sah67

Typical.

Maybe Hot Truck has gone downhill since Bob retired. I haven't had enough of a sample to be sure. But Hot Truck is flat out my favorite food experience at Cornell. Thinking about a double PMP, heavy, soprano makes my mouth water. Especially when it's approaching lunch time.

Given the options that were around during my tenure on the Hill (pretty much all of the 90's) I find it pretty much mind boggling that anyone wouldn't put Hot Truck at the top of the list for late night fare. But maybe times have changed.

Maxies is great.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2007 02:52PM

It might have taken a very slight slip, but no, it hasn't really gone downhill. It's still the best late night fare (and often any time fare) in town.

Date: March 27, 2007 02:54PM

sah67
French Rage
sah67

Say wha?

It was Colgate, I'm pretty sure.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2007 03:37PM

sah67
French Rage
sah67

Say wha?

I'd noticed Gannett was trying to tie its services to hockey. Here's a popular poster from the fall: [www.gannett.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 27, 2007 04:39PM

Y'all are making me hungry. Bastards.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2007 05:59PM

sah67

Hot Truck is a post-Dunbars-last-call food option, and in that case you'll want to have had some corn nuggets at the ChariotNines pre-game to tide you over.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 27, 2007 06:14PM

KeithK

Most always, yes...food after games. This is probably something else to add to my list. More post-game dining options:

Places I know of that are adequate for that post-game nosh: Applebee's, Chili's, Wings Over Ithaca, Olivia, all the diners in the area, Hot Truck, Shortstop, DP Dough.

Those are the ones that usually come to mind to me. Others may have found something I don't think of (viva?). I tend to avoid the chains when in Ithaca. But basically it has to be a restaurant whose kitchen is still open after 10 pm. I tried once to find something by the commons, but on a Friday night, places like the Ale House are pretty much in weekend bar mode and only have a very limited appetizer menu.

Anyway, a nod to Olivia...even if you think it to be pretentious and overpriced, they advertise at Lynah and even offer a post hockey game special of 1/2 off their burger, which is pretty tasty. I'm fine taking my business to places that choose to cater to my schedule and interests. More places should have "post-game" specials and stay open later on game nights, is all I'm saying.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 06:16PM by RichH.

Date: March 27, 2007 06:24PM

Corn nuggets are overrated.

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 06:56PM

Rich S
I'd definitely be in favor of that change and I know a lot of other fans who would agree.

I would imagine it has something to do with travelling. It's a long ride from Boston to Ithaca after a 7:00 pm hockey game. Starting at 7:30 pm would just make the ride end even later. But they could have the Friday game start at 7:30 pm so the student - athletes could leave campus later and have more time for classes...**]

Date: March 27, 2007 07:32PM

RichH
KeithK

Those are the ones that usually come to mind to me. Others may have found something I don't think of (viva?).

I mentioned Maxies a few posts up not just because of the good food, but because they have their full menu available till midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, and till 11 on all other days.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 07:33PM by sah67.

Date: March 27, 2007 07:33PM

Josh '99

Blasphemy!

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 07:34PM

sah67
Josh '99

Blasphemy!
Lemmingry!

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: March 27, 2007 09:11PM

finchphil

Rich S

I would imagine it has something to do with travelling. It's a long ride from Boston to Ithaca after a 7:00 pm hockey game. Starting at 7:30 pm would just make the ride end even later. But they could have the Friday game start at 7:30 pm so the student - athletes could leave campus later and have more time for classes...**]

athletes go to class???

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2007 09:52PM

Josh '99

You're wrong. I make all my friends try them when I find them down here.

Date: March 27, 2007 09:54PM

Dpperk29
finchphil

Rich S

athletes go to class???

People schedule class on Fridays???

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 10:58PM

Dpperk29
athletes go to class???

At Cornell, some of them do.

Liz '05

Just because it's scheduled doesn't mean you have to go B-]

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2007 11:29PM

Did anyone notice that the bear suits were replaced at the end of '05? We had the fashion design department create them rather than the theater department and they came out very well. Very well means that the heads didn't fall off if you tipped it more than a few degrees. It also meant that small children didn't wet themselves when the bear approached. An added bonus was the fans installed in the heads for cooling. The old suits would get hot. I think they were worn on the ice for 1 game in 05-06, and they haven't been to hockey since. It's a shame.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2007 12:10AM

mtmack25
Did anyone notice that the bear suits were replaced at the end of '05? We had the fashion design department create them rather than the theater department and they came out very well. Very well means that the heads didn't fall off if you tipped it more than a few degrees. It also meant that small children didn't wet themselves when the bear approached. An added bonus was the fans installed in the heads for cooling. The old suits would get hot. I think they were worn on the ice for 1 game in 05-06, and they haven't been to hockey since. It's a shame.

Yes, some of us who have seen them at other games noticed the new bear heads. Much more kid friendly, definitely...and fuzzy. And IMO, better than the one before it (introduced in the late '90s) that had such a sloping, flat head that it looked more like a badger.

I think they were only worn on the ice last year because publicity photos needed to be taken.

For comparison, here are the bears I've known:
late '80s - late '90s:
late '90s - mid '00s:
current: [www.playboy.com]

(note url of last address may not jibe with work filters, but there's nothing dirty there...just a fully-clothed mascot profile, honest. The story even addresses his absence at hockey games)

And as a bonus, googling for these led to this 1920s era picture:
[www.archives.upenn.edu]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 12:13AM by RichH.

Date: March 28, 2007 01:11AM

I find that URL offensive. :-(:-}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 06:58AM by jtwcornell91.

Date: March 28, 2007 07:12AM

The guy in the bear suit
I tried to skate at the ice rink once, but I kept falling and was doing a terrible job. I tried to throw out candy, but the fans threw it back at me. They had to clean the ice and the hockey team got a penalty for it. It was a depressing moment, and now I have to stay off the hockey rink during games.

I don't remember this penalty at all. In which game did this happen?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 28, 2007 08:39AM

finchphil

Rich S

I think the suggestion is to move Friday games back to 7:30 where they were prior to the 2000 season. Friday nights (or saturday mornings) teams only have to go ithaca-hamilton, princeton-hamden, new haven-providence, hanover-cambridge, troy-schenectady, or canton-potsdam. None of those trips are so long as to burden anyone with an extra half an hour. Pushing the games to 7:30 would also allow fans to avoid some of the rush hour mess in albany/boston/new haven when trying to make it by 6:22 for warmups.

Date: March 28, 2007 12:49PM

ebilmes
Dpperk29
athletes go to class???

At Cornell, some of them do.

Liz '05

Just because it's scheduled doesn't mean you have to go B-]
Athletes generally don't go to class on the Friday before a road weekend. Or at least the hockey team doesn't. The team typically leaves on Thursday afternoon. Short trips like Colgate may be an exception.

Date: March 28, 2007 01:36PM

Josh '99

I'll sure miss that Josh fellow. Struck down in the prime of his life... awful.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 28, 2007 01:43PM

All that happened when I fell on the ice in the bear suit was that the Pep Band started chanting, "The bear drives a cab!" Then someone else had to go and ruin it, apparently.

Funny, the guy who followed me as the Marching Band's PA announcer also ruined things. Curious...

- Steve Worona

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:53AM

RichH
Most obvious one. Enough has been written here about it. We all know it. After the experience of the Duke lax webcast with ACC Select...we now know a quality product & model is not only possible, but is in use now. Most of us would gladly pay for a reliable service. I'd prefer it to be internal to the university, but if a league-wide service like ACC Select exists, why not try an ECAC or Ivy League branded subscription service? CSTV is too bloated and difficult in its current form.
I might be the only one to disagree with this one. What home games I couldn't get to, I was able to catch on All-Access and never had any problems with it, and I've never had any issues with any of the archived games, either. I agree CSTV's customer (dis)service sucks, but honestly, anyone with an intermediate knowledge of computers should be able to figure out any bugs with the system. The few times that it didn't work for me were on my end (connection issues, mostly). It's improved a lot over the last six months - multiple camera angles, graphics, etc. I'd rather have Jason on anyway - at least you know he knows what he's talking about. Besides, I think it's funny that people point to the ACC Select and call that a good broadcast - meanwhile, over at Laxpower.com, they're ripping it to shreads. It just goes to show that no matter what format they go with, someone's ultimately going to be unhappy with it. I will say that it would be good to see some type of all-inclusive Ivy package that includes football, hoops, and lacrosse. And in talking with some of the rink folks about the video, they're prevented from doing multiple camera angles due to fire codes. The all-access broadcast uses just one less camera than when TV comes in, only losing the camera behind K, I think it is. I guess my thought with this one is be careful what you wish for - it could always be worse. I actually prefer the CSTV system to the one most of the other Ivy schools are using.

There's a fairly large number of people with jobs who attend games. The start times for games were 7:30 on Fridays, 7:00 on Saturdays. Maybe that's too difficult to remember. With the universal 7:00 start times, I've found myself hitting snags in sneaking out of the office, traffic delays, etc. that I get there late. For the Dartmouth game in Hanover, the start time was pushed back to 7:30 due to an afternoon women's game. It may have only been 30 minutes, but I found that extra time to be a luxury. Gives people time to fight traffic, get into town, find parking, and/or maybe have a bite to eat before heading to to the arena. Games will still end by 9:45.
I prefer the 7 pm start. Gives me more than enough time to leave work, grab a bite to eat (and not at McDonalds or Burger King), and still get to the rink as warmups are starting. Then again, I'm also proactive and take a change of clothes with me to the office on game nights. Also, it gives more time to hit the bars after the game to celebrate the wins. Don't ever discount that extra half hour of bar time...

My adds...
- more games on TV - and not just on Time Warner. There's MSG, SNY, Fox Sports, and we can't get on any of them??
- (since it's a wish list, I'm allowed to wish!) a new arena to watch games in. :-) Seriously, a lot of the problems we as fans have are a direct result of the old barn. The ushers assume many things, probably because they can't see exactly who's doing what. All-access is limited with camera positions because the rink wasn't built 50 years ago with webcasts in mind. I think you can build a new facility with much of the same charm as the older one - look at the baseball building craze for that. Actually, let me amend this to me winning the lottery so I can donate the winnings for a new barn, since that's the only way this will happen.
- a cease-fire on the Andy and athletics-bashing. I know he's not the most popular figure around here, but there are several items that athletics has done to benefit the hockey program and to make the fans happy. He's made a long-term committment to Schafer (not that I'm thrilled, but I know I'm in the minority, and that's fine with me), they went ahead with the rink renovations, knowing the majority of fans would rather keep Lynah than have a new facility, and (in spite of it being yet another popular fan-bashing point), put in the higher glass. Why's that a good thing? Because the alternative to the higher glass was netting all the way around the rink. Given your choice of the two, which would you rather have? Really, talk with some of the folks over there, and not just when you've got something you want to gripe about. Let them know if they're doing something that you like, not just bashing them when they screw up. Everyone screws up at their jobs... it's just not everyone has an internet message board bashing them when they do (and, since I know it'll inevitably be coming again, no, I do not work in athletics. I've just taken the time to get to know some of the people who work over there, and really, they're not evil incarnate).

Date: March 29, 2007 07:32AM

bandrews37
I prefer the 7 pm start. Gives me more than enough time to leave work, grab a bite to eat (and not at McDonalds or Burger King), and still get to the rink as warmups are starting. Then again, I'm also proactive and take a change of clothes with me to the office on game nights. Also, it gives more time to hit the bars after the game to celebrate the wins. Don't ever discount that extra half hour of bar time...

Just out of curiosity, where do you work? (At least, what geographic area of Ithaca?) And what time do you typically get out of work on Fridays?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 08:26AM

bandrews37
I might be the only one to disagree with this one. What home games I couldn't get to, I was able to catch on All-Access and never had any problems with it,

Well, I only bought All Access for 1 month (this month) and have so far watched/listened to 3 events. One, the lax game last weekend, was entirely MIA. The other 2 - the Q games - were fine, although I missed the first period of the first one because my account, which was working fine earlier in the day, now would let me log in and then tell me I couldn't access anything.

However, there's one big thing you're missing. The reason I only had AA for one month (and have canceled so it will lapse in a couple weeks), is because AA may work okay, so long as you meet their very specific system specs. IE and Windows (and XP and above only, right?). I, like a decent number of people on here, have a Mac. I was able to (pay to) watch the away Dartmouth game through their system. I was able to watch the Notre Dame neutral site game through the alternate service Cornell tried out. I was able to (pay to) watch the Duke lax game through playonsports.

(Btw, my girlfriend has a Dell, so that's how I was able to watch, but I only relented for the playoffs. I'm not going to pay someone who doesn't want to bother to support me.)

In fact, basically every other streaming video service I've seen offers video through a standard WMP 9 plug-in format. Only AA decides to use such fancy flash and animation and graphics that only Microsofts blessed platforms can view it.

That may make sense from a business standpoint based on marketshare, but from a university standpoint, it is not a good idea to push away a whole section of alumni. Especially when a university like Cornell has a distinct Mac history.

Even MSNBC.com, who used to make their free video playable only on IE on Windows, gave that up because they realized its trivial to let anyone view it. Couldn't AA at least provide an alternative set of links available through an HTML page that load in a WMP plug-in? Nah, that makes too much sense.

Date: March 29, 2007 09:02AM

In particular, last year's Cornell video feed worked just fine under Linux.

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: March 29, 2007 09:04AM

bandrews37
I might be the only one to disagree with this one. What home games I couldn't get to, I was able to catch on All-Access and never had any problems with it, and I've never had any issues with any of the archived games, either. I agree CSTV's customer (dis)service sucks, but honestly, anyone with an intermediate knowledge of computers should be able to figure out any bugs with the system. The few times that it didn't work for me were on my end (connection issues, mostly). It's improved a lot over the last six months - multiple camera angles, graphics, etc. I'd rather have Jason on anyway - at least you know he knows what he's talking about. Besides, I think it's funny that people point to the ACC Select and call that a good broadcast - meanwhile, over at Laxpower.com, they're ripping it to shreads.

Here's the thing, All-Access the last two years has been a lot like playing a lousy round of golf but finishing with a birdie on 18. As you walk off the course you think, "that wasn't so bad. I can do this." In reality that doesn't change the fact you just put up a big number for the day and improvements throughout the year shouldn't excuse AA for all its shortcomings. I'm on a mac right now so I can't check some old archived games that I never got to see (because they never got archived properly) to challenge your point that they're all there as far as you know. I do recall having a miserable time during football season with webcasts starting late and cutting out. And not once was it "on my end" unless it was a user end problem for everyone on here. Why has AA tried to reinvent the wheel two years running? Both years the service has been an abomination during football season and into hockey season but by playoff time they have replays and a considerably more consistent product? I'm glad athletics is investigating other options because while you keep saying over and over that the other products suck just as much, the only product I've seen with consistent failures to even provide content is AA (and it's not just here on eLynah, check out other AA schools' boards or search USCHO). In the end I'm not looking for a tv quality HD broadcast with mike emerick every week (sorry, bill). All I want is the piece of mind that if I buy this product I will get what I'm paying for: video of home games with the radio broadcast, radio for road games and prompt and accurate archiving. I want to know that if I make time on 7pm on a saturday, I'll be able to see the game and if I have to watch it at 7am the next morning instead, it will be there for me.

As for ACC Select, I don't think people on laxpower are ripping the service so much as the individual schools' varied levels of production quality. As I understand it, each school is left to their own devices to provide the content and the quality is variable. Most of the complaints I've seen have been of the announcer is dumb/camera angles bad variety which they bitch about with respect to CSTV broadcasts too. It's not "why isn't this working at all" like we get with AA.

bandrews37
[/quote]

I'd rather be able to get to the game on time and lose half an hour at the bars than miss the first period but get to hear about it for an extra half an hour later. Plenty of season ticket holders don't live in Ithaca and even among those who do, plenty of people work until 6 giving them hardly enough time to eat and get to the game for warmups at 6:22.

bandrews37
My adds...
- more games on TV - and not just on Time Warner. There's MSG, SNY, Fox Sports, and we can't get on any of them??

Unless the university shows the same dedication to athletics promotion that the Q does and starts paying for the time or the ECAC gets its act together as a league, it ain't happening. Not that it wouldn't be great exposure...

bandrews37
- a cease-fire on the Andy and athletics-bashing. I know he's not the most popular figure around here, but there are several items that athletics has done to benefit the hockey program and to make the fans happy. He's made a long-term committment to Schafer (not that I'm thrilled, but I know I'm in the minority, and that's fine with me), they went ahead with the rink renovations, knowing the majority of fans would rather keep Lynah than have a new facility, and (in spite of it being yet another popular fan-bashing point), put in the higher glass. Why's that a good thing? Because the alternative to the higher glass was netting all the way around the rink. Given your choice of the two, which would you rather have? Really, talk with some of the folks over there, and not just when you've got something you want to gripe about. Let them know if they're doing something that you like, not just bashing them when they screw up. Everyone screws up at their jobs... it's just not everyone has an internet message board bashing them when they do (and, since I know it'll inevitably be coming again, no, I do not work in athletics. I've just taken the time to get to know some of the people who work over there, and really, they're not evil incarnate).

First on the higher glass. Does it suck for the fan whose seat has a newly obstructed view? Sure. I really don't care though. As I see it the higher glass is at least in part due to the fact that with the new benches it's harder to bank the puck off the glass and down the ice without putting it in a bench. More glass allows more room to get the puck out.

I'm not ready to forgive andy for being an ass just because he gave schafer an extension and didn't stop the lynah renovations. And I'm not ready to forgive athletics for its annual mismanaging of the ticket line, the whole boondoggle over students paying for football, lax, etc., or the fact that few administrators seem capable or willing to carry on a civilized conversation with students or alumni.

As for what I'd add:
-At least a couple basketball/hockey saturday doubleheaders (I know it's tough for hoops league games because our travel partner is a solid 4 hrs away, but it can at least happen for columbia or an OOC game)
-the return of the phone to start "your mom called"
-a logo (NOT huggy bear) painted at center ice)
-a(or 2 or 3 or 4) sound beating(s) of harvard for the first time since March 2005
-here's some wishful thinking... returning the remote control sieve to it's older form where it actually called out what the guy was doing (including replacing the rhythmic "skate skate skate" with actually saying it on each stride)
-whatever the webcast is, let it be usable on any platform
-student bus to the colgate game
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 09:30AM by Chris '03.

Date: March 29, 2007 09:19AM

Maybe we wouldn't bash the Athletic Department so much if they hadn't been treating fans like shit since at least 2002:

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: March 29, 2007 09:28AM

jtwcornell91
Maybe we wouldn't bash the Athletic Department so much if they hadn't been treating fans like shit since at least 2002:

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

I didn't buy in that year because I was still in Ithaca, but this quote cracks me up:
Big Red Athletics
In addition to live audio broadcasts of currently available sports, you will also have access to weekly coach's shows, press conferences, video highlights, practice or post-game clips and more.

Date: March 29, 2007 11:02AM

I want Columbia to start a D-I hockey team so that I can see a game in New York City every year.

Date: March 29, 2007 12:29PM

bandrews37
... and .. put in the higher glass. Why's that a good thing? Because the alternative to the higher glass was netting all the way around the rink. Given your choice of the two, which would you rather have?
Well, since this is a wish list I'd go for a third option. How about having the state legislature pass changes to liability rules that would explicitly prevent someone from suing over injuries as a spectator at a sporting event. It should be as the back of the ticket claims. Sit in the stands where pucks can go flying and watch at your own risk. That way we can have low glass and no netting at the same time!

(Honestly, I'm not trying to hijack this thread into a political discussion. Let's not get into this argument!)
bandrews37
I've just taken the time to get to know some of the people who work over there, and really, they're not evil incarnate
Nah, they're not evil incarnate. The folks in charge simply seem dedicated to changing the Cornell hockey experience in ways that (IMO) make it worse. Their priorities aren't aligned with those of the fans (or at least of the majority of the posters here). On top of that they have acted petty and spiteful on a number of occasions (e.g. Age and press passes). I'll gladly stop bashing the AD when they deserve better treatment, but I just haven't seen it very often.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 01:23PM

KeithK
bandrews37
... and .. put in the higher glass. Why's that a good thing? Because the alternative to the higher glass was netting all the way around the rink. Given your choice of the two, which would you rather have?
Well, since this is a wish list I'd go for a third option. How about having the state legislature pass changes to liability rules that would explicitly prevent someone from suing over injuries as a spectator at a sporting event. It should be as the back of the ticket claims. Sit in the stands where pucks can go flying and watch at your own risk. That way we can have low glass and no netting at the same time!

(Honestly, I'm not trying to hijack this thread into a political discussion. Let's not get into this argument!)
Meaning you can say your piece and we can't respond? So you get the last, and only, word on this subject? I know that's not what you meant, but once you open a subject, you can't expect everyone to just sit back and say nothing.

There are many wonderful, and justifiable, reasons to have glass around the rink. I may not want to start listing the reasons why I think government, and other "higher" powers, have a role to play in maintaining a healthy and productive society, but they do exist. However, first and foremost is the presence of free speech.

There, how's that for not responding?screwy

Date: March 29, 2007 02:42PM

KeithK

I don't think you'd find hardly anyone who would disagree with you. Its entirely logical that Cornell shouldn't be fault when you get hit with a puck while you voluntarily attend a sporting event. The higher glass is reasonable, and the net at the end of the ice, but please, no more.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:45PM

Ben Rocky 04
The higher glass is reasonable, and the net at the end of the ice, but please, no more.
I disagree: I don't want the netting in front of G. I pay attention to the game. If you don't, then you take a greater risk of being on the receiving end of a slapshot. Your problem. :-D

Kyle

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:47PM

krose
Ben Rocky 04
The higher glass is reasonable, and the net at the end of the ice, but please, no more.
I disagree: I don't want the netting in front of G. I pay attention to the game. If you don't, then you take a greater risk of being on the receiving end of a slapshot. Your problem. :-D

Kyle

In reality, many people who have been paying attention have gotten injured by pucks coming up behind the net. Pucks travel at some pretty high velocities on shots, and it can be hard to judge where they are actually doing. If you put your hands up to protect your face, you can end up with broken bones or bad bruises on your hands. On the sides its a different story as most pucks are traveling rather slowly and you could probably catch it without hurting yourself.

Date: March 29, 2007 02:58PM

Ben Rocky 04
KeithK

I don't think you'd find hardly anyone who would disagree with you. Its entirely logical that Cornell shouldn't be fault when you get hit with a puck while you voluntarily attend a sporting event. The higher glass is reasonable, and the net at the end of the ice, but please, no more.
In fact, why have the glass at all! (In other words, at least one person disagrees.)

Date: March 29, 2007 03:20PM

ugarte
Ben Rocky 04
I don't think you'd find hardly anyone
In fact, why have the glass at all! (In other words, at least one person disagrees.)

I said hardly anyone. Also, without any glass wouldn't the game stop like three times as often because the puck left the rink? Wouldn't it also mean the players could be easily checked into the crowd, possibly injuring themselves, the crowd, and damaging their equipment?

If you were being sarcastic, forgive me, and use italics next time.

Date: March 29, 2007 04:22PM

Ben Rocky '04
If you were being sarcastic, forgive me, and use italics next time.
Yeah, I'm going to make sure that you understand me a top priority.

Date: March 29, 2007 04:26PM

Jacob '06
krose
Ben Rocky 04

In reality, many people who have been paying attention have gotten injured by pucks coming up behind the net.
I understand that. That's why I said "greater risk". I'm willing to take the lesser risk that comes with paying attention. I spent a year behind the net in G and I fucking hate it.

Kyle

Date: March 29, 2007 04:31PM

If any of you think there's any chance of the net at the end of the rink coming down after that girl died in Columbus a few years ago, you're crazy. It's not just about Cornell not wanting to get sued, it's about Cornell not wanting something like that happening in their building, and I don't blame them at all.

Date: March 29, 2007 04:46PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Meaning you can say your piece and we can't respond? So you get the last, and only, word on this subject? I know that's not what you meant, but once you open a subject, you can't expect everyone to just sit back and say nothing.
I was just apologizing in advance for hijacking the thread, since I know folks around here can't resist arguing about it (and some of the usual suspects have already posted :-)). Also saying that I won't respond with a substantive post defending my wish.

Of course, if y'all want to sit back and just take my word as gospel I'd be OK with that too. :-D.

Date: March 29, 2007 04:50PM

Josh '99
If any of you think there's any chance of the net at the end of the rink coming down after that girl died in Columbus a few years ago, you're crazy.
I also never said that I thought there was any chance. (Don't they teach reading comprehension anymore?) I am simply pining, because it's the off season and we have nothing more useful to do.

Kyle

Date: March 29, 2007 04:53PM

krose
Josh '99
If any of you think there's any chance of the net at the end of the rink coming down after that girl died in Columbus a few years ago, you're crazy.
I also never said that I thought there was any chance. (Don't they teach reading comprehension anymore?) I am simply pining, because it's the off season and we have nothing more useful to do.
Sorry, you're right - I forgot that this was a wishlist and suggestions didn't have to be realistic. coffee

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:22PM

ugarte
I want Columbia to start a D-I hockey team so that I can see a game in New York City every year.

Well, since we're dreaming, I want Penn to start their team again, so I can see a game in Philly.

Date: March 29, 2007 06:32PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

Well, since we're dreaming, I want Penn to start their team again, so I can see a game in Philly.

If I remember correctly, Penn's campus master plan has them demolishing Class of '23 rink, so I think hockey is out of the picture, permanently. Personally, I'd like to see Lehigh, Bucknell or Lafayette start D1 teams, as they'd probably join ECAC (one Patriot team is already in our conference, but USMA and Holy Cross are in Atlantic...). If Navy went D1, they'd end up as Atlantic, but at least there'd be a D1 team closer to DC than Princeton.

Date: March 29, 2007 07:09PM

Josh '99
If any of you think there's any chance of the net at the end of the rink coming down after that girl died in Columbus a few years ago, you're crazy. It's not just about Cornell not wanting to get sued, it's about Cornell not wanting something like that happening in their building, and I don't blame them at all.

And you're a lawyer so you're automatically right. banana

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 10:45PM

Josh '99
It already has happened at Lynah. One male student killed by a puck in the stands. Substantial settlement. Seems to me it was late 1970's.

Responding to other posts...

Just be alert? KcKee, Leneveu, Dryden, and the rest didn't stop every puck. You won't do better.

But as someone pointed out, that doesn't mean we can't dream about a perfect world where we could put ourselves in as much danger as we chose and never get hurt. I go back far enough that I remember attending games as a kid before there was any glass at all on the sides (and only chain link fence at the ends that sometimes came loose). And, yes, the players sometimes landed in our laps, or at least it felt that way.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 11:21PM

RichH

Has anyone heard anymore about this? I thought I had heard that the contract with All-Access was being terminated at the end of the academic year. Granted quality did get better at the end, but the problems were too numerous to overcome that. Would it be worth writing a few nicely-worded letters to Athletics reminding them of the problems with football, hockey and lacrosse?

RichH

I agree and I'm not driving to any of the games! That extra half hour makes a big difference. When I was at Cornell, game times were at 7:30 and no matter how hard I tried, I rarely managed to get off campus before 6. The times I did, I got caught in the 15-20 minutes of traffic (sitting at campus stop signs/crosswalks) that happens when all the staff leaves at 5 pm (it is the same thing here at Purdue). I would definitely like that 30 minutes back because I still cannot manage to leave work much before 6 pm (something about that 60-90 minutes after people are gone; it is quiet and good for concentrating).

The townies pay quite a bit for their tickets, and I assume a good number of them have families/kids/pets that need to be fetched and fed. I'm sure they would also appreciate an extra 30 minutes to do that.

RichH
6) Student/usher Détente
Get to know your usher. Most of them aren't power-hungry nazis, honest. They're just given marching orders. If you took the time to talk to them at least so they'd know your face and that you aren't some little snot-nosed punk, and maybe give a little leeway. It goes the opposite way. Ushers: not all students are "up to no-good."

Here, here. The ushers working in the mid to late 90's in Section D were very nice. A smile, a "Hello" and a few kind words go a long way. It helped that they knew us when we needed to smuggle visiting friends into our row who didn't have "D" tickets.

RichH
7) Fire Andy.

Gee, maybe that is why there are so many rainbows in Hawaii, no Andy! But I always thought the roses were due to the April Showers.:-}

Date: March 30, 2007 05:57AM

Rita
RichH
7) Fire Andy.

Gee, maybe that is why there are so many rainbows in Hawaii, no Andy! But I always thought the roses were due to the April Showers.:-}

But April in Ithaca always has two weeks of sun for Cornell Days...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 12:45PM

Ben Rocky '04
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

If I remember correctly, Penn's campus master plan has them demolishing Class of '23 rink, so I think hockey is out of the picture, permanently. Personally, I'd like to see Lehigh, Bucknell or Lafayette start D1 teams, as they'd probably join ECAC (one Patriot team is already in our conference, but USMA and Holy Cross are in Atlantic...). If Navy went D1, they'd end up as Atlantic, but at least there'd be a D1 team closer to DC than Princeton.

I like that even better, since I live in Allentown. banana

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2007 09:26AM

I wish for an intelligible cowbell player.

Liz '05
Rita
RichH
7) Fire Andy.

But April in Ithaca always has two weeks of sun for Cornell Days...

I agree with bandrews concerning the Athletics bashing and Andy firing. During his tenure, we've replaced Penn as the perenial Ivy wrestling champ and Princeton in lacrosse. Wrestling earned 4th place in nationals a couple of years ago with a national champion (Lee). Our successes in track (men and women) are at near mythical proportions. Women's volleyball, lacrosse and softball are now serious programs, very important for school image concerning Title IX. (yes, administrators outside of athletics DO to care about that.)

During his tenure I believe we have gone from being among the worst performing Ivy schools in terms of annual Ivy League championships to among the best. Some may poo-poo Ivy championships as insignificant, but it's a relevant measure of success against peers with the same athletic and academic priorities. Had this trend gone the other way, the Andy-bashers would have a solid case. Ask the Yale or Columbia AD how they feel about their dismal Ivy records during the past 5 to 10 years.

Now for sure, nobody gets everything right all the time. But to be fair, what seems like high priorities to us from our narrow viewpoint probably looks different to an AD of one of the nation's largest (under-funded!) athletics AND physical education programs. You'll find few ADs with a better attendance record at both home and away contests. He might not get everything right (in our view), but our programs are solid, and he's the guy in charge for the past 8 years. In the big picture, I believe he's doing a good job.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 11:58PM

I think a major reason people are upset is that many of the things we criticize Andy and his regime for would not damage the positive steps CU Athletics have taken under his watch. For example, having a more reliable program for alumni and students alike to watch and follow their teams would be positive for all of the programs at Cornell, not just hockey and lacrosse. Take it for what you will, but I don't think many of the bashers here feel like everything that has gone on has been negative. We simply feel that positive steps could be made in several areas that would improve Cornell Athletics as a whole, and hockey too. Please let me know if I am over-generalizing the opinions of our fan-base here.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2007 12:44AM

1) National Championship
2) ECAC Championship
3) ECAC Regular Season Championship
4) Ned Harkness Cup
5) Ivy League Championship

If there is a championship to be won… I want it. Now that’s not being too greedy, is it? Let’s win some championships next year.

Date: April 03, 2007 11:26AM

Doug '08
1) National Championship
2) ECAC Championship
4) Ned Harkness Cup

If there is a championship to be won… I want it. Now that’s not being too greedy, is it? Let’s win some championships next year.

Cornell should strive to win the Beanpot in 2008. :-P

Date: April 03, 2007 11:45AM

Will
Doug '08
1) National Championship
2) ECAC Championship
4) Ned Harkness Cup

We did that in 2002-2003, right?

3-0 vs Hahvahd
2-0 vs BU
1-0 vs BC

Date: April 03, 2007 12:18PM

jtwcornell91
Will
Doug '08
1) National Championship
2) ECAC Championship
4) Ned Harkness Cup

We did that in 2002-2003, right?

3-0 vs Hahvahd
2-0 vs BU
1-0 vs BC

You say that as if we shouldn't try to make it happen again.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 03:08PM

BCrespi
Please let me know if I am over-generalizing the opinions of our fan-base here.
I think the best fit for a generalization of people who want to fire Andy is that they are the people Andy has specifically acted like an asshat towards. He hasn't done that to me, so I'm completely agnostic on him. (Except: All Access is horrible, and to the degree that he's responsible for that, so is he.)

Date: April 03, 2007 04:47PM

Andy's regime certainly has a number of successes during his tenure. But the fact is that very few of those successes have much relevance to me. Take the wrestling program and center. I'm happy in a general sense when Cornell does well in any sport but I wouldn't lose any sleep over a losing wrestling team because it's not my thing.

I tend judge the AD on things that I am interested in. Hockey. Treatment of hockey fans. Audio and video for hockey. Treatment of people I know. Andy has a bunch of failures in these areas. Positives in things that I don't care much about don't outweigh them.

Now I realize that the school will base it's evaluation of the AD and his department on the big picture. But my evaluation is not and doesn't have to be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login