Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton at Cornell post-game thread

Posted by billhoward 
Princeton at Cornell post-game thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:23PM

[/b]Four point weekend and into a tie for third place with Quinnipiac. (Up by 3 points on fifth-place Dartmouth, which plays Yale Sunday.) Way to go!

Awesome offensive explosion by Cornell in the first two periods. All the more amazing that Cornell is down so many key players. And nice defense by Cornell, especially in the first two periods. Byron Bitz found his scoring touch (2G, 2A, +3). Ray Sawada too (2G, 2A, +4). Cornell has 19 goals in four games, albeit 3, 6, 2 and 8 isn't as useful as say 5-4-5-5.

But still: Cornell was outshot (although Princeton padded its totals with low-percentage, what-the-heck-it-might-catch-a-bounce shots). Cornell gave up a couple of power play goals (3x8 or 3x7 allowed). The team let up in the third period (okay, Cornell was up 8-1).

Way for the seniors to close out their regular-season Lynah careers.

[Edit add:] Looking good for home ice and a first-round bye and with Harvard now in sixth, a possible Cornell-Cantab playoff in Ithaca. (Yale-Dartmouth yet to play Sunday. Yale winning helps our chances of being third/fourth in the ECAC; Dartmouth winning helps our chances of winning the Ivy title (like you think a lot about that one).) Standings below after Saturday's games.

ECACHL     Overall 
  Team         GP  W-L-T Pts. GF-GA     GP  W-L-T GF-GA 
1 St. Lawrence 20 15-4-1 31 68-50     32 19-11-2 100-86 
2 Clarkson     20 12-4-4 28 69-45     32 20-7-5 117-77 
3 CORNELL      20 10-6-4 24 62-47     27 14-9-4 86-66   
  Quinnipiac   20 10-6-4 24 72-55     32 16-11-5 120-87 
5 Dartmouth    19 9-7-3 21 58-56      26 13-10-3 78-75 
6 Harvard      20 8-10-2 18 60-63     27 10-15-2 73-80 
  Princeton    20 8-10-2 18 58-61     27 11-13-3 78-81 
8 Colgate      20 7-10-3 17 51-53     34 13-17-4 89-85 
9 Yale         19 7-11-1 15 50-63     26 10-13-3 69-82 
  Rensselaer   20 5-10-5 15 46-75     32 9-15-8 77-114 
11 Brown       20 5-11-4 14 57-62     27 9-12-6 80-79 
12 Union       20 6-13-1 13 50-71     32 13-16-3 94-108 

Sunday, February 18:
  Dartmouth            at Yale         4:00 pm    
Friday, February 23:
  Brown                at Rensselaer   7:00 pm    
  Yale                 at Union        7:00 pm    
  Colgate              at Harvard      7:00 pm    
  Clarkson             at Princeton    7:00 pm    
  St. Lawrence         at Quinnipiac   7:00 pm    
  Cornell              at Dartmouth    7:30 pm    
Saturday, February 24:
  St. Lawrence         at Princeton    3:30 pm    
  Yale                 at Rensselaer   7:00 pm    
  Brown                at Union        7:00 pm    
  Colgate              at Dartmouth    7:00 pm    
  Cornell              at Harvard      7:00 pm    
  Clarkson             at Quinnipiac   8:00 pm   

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 10:59PM by billhoward.

Re: Princeton at Cornell post-game thread
Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:25PM

You posted before the game ended. Party Foul!

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:27PM

Where was Kennedy?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:30PM

ryeguy
Where was Kennedy?

Hurt last night.

When last night...what period...was it goony?

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:31PM

Clarkson scores with 3 seconds remaining to make it 3-3. In OT now.

Date: February 17, 2007 09:34PM

Over according to WRPI. 3-3- tie.

Date: February 17, 2007 09:35PM

Roy 82

You'll see that's not so when you see the box score with the time-of-game numbers. Hey, I type 55 words per minute.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 09:37PM

Let's hope the Seniors will get an even more glorious send-off (into the Post-Season) at Lynah East a week from today, our "home" away from home.

I will start the call....Rebecca and I will be there, as well as Joanna and Justin B. (fresh back from 2 1/2 years in Africa as Peace Corps volunteers), Kolo and his wife. And Toni M. will drive in from Western MA.

LGR!

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:03PM

Tyler Mugford you rock

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:25PM

This looked more like a WCHA game.

Great night for the seniors. Can't fault the team too much for losing focus up 8-1.

Princeton looked absolutely awful.

Bring on Sucks! But don't overlook Dartmouth on Friday.

Posted by: lhayes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:39PM

billhoward
Looking good for home ice and a first-round bye and with Harvard now in sixth, a possible Cornell-Cantab playoff in Ithaca. (Yale-Dartmouth yet to play Sunday. Yale winning helps our chances of being fourth; Dartmouth winning helps our chances of winning the Ivy title (like you think a lot about that one).)

Here's a scenerio I'd like to avoid:
Losing at Dartmouth next week, and then seeing them again on their ice for the playoffs. Sooooo ...
Let's go Yale!

Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 11:08PM

He was head checked last night, shoul dahve been a 5 minute major, was only a 2 minute. He was back on teh ice 5 or 10 minutes later, but Schafer said it was a precautionary thing to keep him off tonight.

Posted by: sah67 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 11:58PM

billhoward
Yale winning helps our chances of being third/fourth in the ECAC; Dartmouth winning helps our chances of winning the Ivy title (like you think a lot about that one).)

If I'm seeing the standings correctly, a win at Dartmouth clinches a bye for us, regardless of Dartmouth winning or losing against Yale tomorrow.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 11:59PM

ebilmes
Princeton looked absolutely awful.
Sitting in the front row of D behind the Cornell bench, at the end of the game I could read the lips of the Princeton head coach say to Schafer upon handshake, "That wasn't much fun". Frankly, I thought it was!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2007 03:29AM

sah67
If I'm seeing the standings correctly, a win at Dartmouth clinches a bye for us, regardless of Dartmouth winning or losing against Yale tomorrow.

Yes, our magic number with Dartmouth is 3½ (haven't checked the tie-breakers).

[slack.net]
[slack.net]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 04:05AM

ebilmes
But don't overlook Dartmouth on Friday.
Given how much trouble we've had at Dartmouth in recent years, we'd better not!

Date: February 18, 2007 07:21AM

redheadfanatic
He was head checked last night, shoul dahve been a 5 minute major, was only a 2 minute. He was back on teh ice 5 or 10 minutes later, but Schafer said it was a precautionary thing to keep him off tonight.

Right, but my question is, when in the game was he hurt. That is, was the game getting chippy toward the end and someone hit him or was it earlier in the game?

Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 09:18AM

Marty, the hit happened about half way through the 2nd period. It was soon after Cornell killed a penalty. The goon is Q's Jamie Bates.

Date: February 18, 2007 11:19AM

A couple other things...

Did anyone have a good view of what happened on the first Princeton goal? Looked like Troy stopped it under his pad but didn't know where the puck was. Bitz (?) rushed over to try and keep it out of the net, but the Princeton player poked at the puck and pushed it in.

I didn't know Bitz was a soccer player. That 1-0 stickless rush that culminated in his trying to kick in the puck is one of the more bizarre plays I've seen.

I thought Romano's attempt at a last-second goal to end the 8-4 game was a little unsportsmanlike.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 11:25AM

ebilmes
A couple other things...

Did anyone have a good view of what happened on the first Princeton goal? Looked like Troy stopped it under his pad but didn't know where the puck was. Bitz (?) rushed over to try and keep it out of the net, but the Princeton player poked at the puck and pushed it in.[/Q]That's how I saw it.

[Q]I didn't know Bitz was a soccer player. That 1-0 stickless rush that culminated in his trying to kick in the puck is one of the more bizarre plays I've seen.[/Q]Unfortunately it also led to a PU goal. He would have been better off going to the boards and trying to tie it up for a while.

[Q]I thought Romano's attempt at a last-second goal to end the 8-4 game was a little unsportsmanlike.
Agree.

Posted by: Giffy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 11:45AM

Anyone know what happened to Scali? He didn't play at all in the third period.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 01:36PM

ebilmes
I thought Romano's attempt at a last-second goal to end the 8-4 game was a little unsportsmanlike.

I thought the only thing unsportsmanlike was the way Princeton played. They instigated most of the skirmishes and charged Davenport all night.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 01:44PM

ithacat
ebilmes

I thought the only thing unsportsmanlike was the way Princeton played. They instigated most of the skirmishes and charged Davenport all night.
You mean...they were high-class goons. The kind with hyphenated last names.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 02:15PM

billhoward
Roy 82

You'll see that's not so when you see the box score with the time-of-game numbers. Hey, I type 55 words per minute.

I totally buy what you're saying, Bill. I got a call from an old CU roommate late in the 3rd period. My feed of the Princeton broadcast still had it 8-3, but he already knew it was 8-4. It was at least another minute, maybe almost two, before I heard the 4th goal called. And he knew the game had ended well in advance of my hearing it. So, depending on all the variables that go into finally getting the feed to your desktop, quite clearly, individual users will be out-of-synch with one another. My buddy could have easily had time to start a post-game thread, with full knowledge of the outcome, while I was still listening to the final minute.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 02:24PM

Giffy

He got his clock cleaned at 17:03 of the 2nd period, drawing an elbowing penalty on Moore from PU...perhaps he was still seeing stars after this and Schafer sent him to the showers. I was also wondering why he was all cleaned up and in his suit for the seniors ceremony...I hadn't remembered the big elbow.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 03:13PM

sah67
Giffy

He got his clock cleaned at 17:03 of the 2nd period, drawing an elbowing penalty on Moore from PU...perhaps he was still seeing stars after this and Schafer sent him to the showers. I was also wondering why he was all cleaned up and in his suit for the seniors ceremony...I hadn't remembered the big elbow.

I suspect, and hope, that with the lead we had, Coach just decided that we didn't have to have him and it was best just to let him rest.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 03:37PM

For the most part, I thought Princeton showed a decent bit of class given the pounding we gave them. They were bad, but not too bad. I thought Quinnipiac played much dirtier and started a lot more fights after the whistle.

That being said, I'm tired of watching refs call matching minors every time a scuffle breaks out. Once in a while, one team or player is the instigator. There had to be 5 or 6 matching minors called this weekend, and for the most part, we were just defending our goalie or retaliating. Almost all of the fights occured on top of Davenport. That being said, there are times that we pick fights, too. I'm amazed at the amount of trashtalking Mugford can pull off in a single game.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 03:50PM

ebilmes

Eh. Princeton had hung three straight goals on Cornell and was taking liberties with our goalie Under those circumstances, I say keep playing hard until the final whistle. Plus, Romano is clearly obsessed with scoring; we need a guy like that, even if it means he forgets to turn it off when discretion may warrant it.

Date: February 18, 2007 04:10PM

Killer
billhoward
Roy 82

I totally buy what you're saying, Bill. I got a call from an old CU roommate late in the 3rd period. My feed of the Princeton broadcast still had it 8-3, but he already knew it was 8-4. It was at least another minute, maybe almost two, before I heard the 4th goal called. And he knew the game had ended well in advance of my hearing it. So, depending on all the variables that go into finally getting the feed to your desktop, quite clearly, individual users will be out-of-synch with one another. My buddy could have easily had time to start a post-game thread, with full knowledge of the outcome, while I was still listening to the final minute.

Your erstwhile roommate might have way to make a living in Vegas with this kind of hysteresis.

Date: February 18, 2007 04:16PM

The name Mugford sounds more pugilistic than, say, Topher Scott. Maybe the guy's living up or down to preconceived notions.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 05:26PM

billhoward
The name Mugford sounds more pugilistic than, say, Topher Scott.

While watching replays of the goals this morning on all-acess, I caught Jason mentioning while Mugford (from the bench) was jawing with Westgarth, something like "And well, Westgarth is having words with someone on the Cornell bench...and it's, not surprisingly, Tyler Mugford".

I love the kid's aggression...even if he does have a big mouth.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 05:31PM

sah67
I love the kid's aggression...even if he does have a big mouth.
Guess he's not a candidate for the Joe Nieuwendyk Award.whistle

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 10:33PM

sah67
While watching replays of the goals this morning on all-acess, I caught Jason mentioning while Mugford (from the bench) was jawing with Westgarth, something like "And well, Westgarth is having words with someone on the Cornell bench...and it's, not surprisingly, Tyler Mugford".

Westgarth was almost Nickersonian in his thuggery, though he lacked the near-mythic savagery of the Clarksonator.

Date: February 19, 2007 12:12AM

ithacat
sah67

Westgarth was almost Nickersonian in his thuggery, though he lacked the near-mythic savagery of the Clarksonator.

You're just asking for a rebuttal from RichS. Surprised it hasn't crossed the wires yet. Maybe Rich is scanning the message to see if the S-word was posted in white-on-white type, seen only by search engines.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 19, 2007 12:18AM

billhoward
ithacat
sah67

You're just asking for a rebuttal from RichS. Surprised it hasn't crossed the wires yet. Maybe Rich is scanning the message to see if the S-word was posted in white-on-white type, seen only by search engines.

I'll quote someone on the bored's sentiments about the finger dance at cheel (I am too lazy/busy to actually look up who and what exactly was said), it went something like "It's so over the top it's funny."

I laughed...

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:34AM

In case you missed it... When Davenport got taken out(the time his mask came off and he got tangled in the net), who was the first person to come to his defense? That's right, Topher Scott got in on top of the guy and he and Davenport got in some good shots before it was broken up.

Also, anybody see the slap shot from the point he took against Q? I was stunned, until I saw it "miss" wide on the backside and Romano streak in on it. A lot of movement and offensive imagination from the team in the last several games.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:00AM

i also love how Topher dumps the puck along from the blue line and then skates around his man and reliably beats him to the corner to continue play.

and he lines up for checks going into the boards behind the net with guys who easily have 50 pounds on him. he gets knocked back most times, but it seems like he aims at the guy rather than try some shifty move to duck away from him... pretty ballsy.

Posted by: sah67 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:11AM

mtmack25

Also, anybody see the slap shot from the point he took against Q? I was stunned, until I saw it "miss" wide on the backside and Romano streak in on it. A lot of movement and offensive imagination from the team in the last several games.

I was also stunned by Topher's slapper from the point, and started cheering loudly, even thought it didn't come close to going in.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:15AM

I don't believe that it was meant to go in. I think it was a pass to Romano all the way. His accuracy is good enough to put it where he wants it. If he wanted it on net, I believe he would have put it there

Posted by: CTUCK1 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 03:49PM

MUGFORD !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 04:22PM

I think (and hope it continues that) it's a big positive that there appears to be some serious stability with the lines. Not in that Cornell is having the same players consistently jump over the boards together, but that they are consistently playing well together.

I think the last few weeks, where we have been identifying single players as looking awesome, are starting to gel into a team thing. With Greening, Carefoot (when healthy), Kennedy and Barlow putting together a great month or couple of weeks we started taking notice. Now the team seems to be picking up on that level of play. Greening may have lit a fire under that first line for instance, and they really seem to be playing at a high level with each other now. Carefoot was able to jumpstart the play of his line and really got Kennedy going as well, giving Cornell a great two way line. Now the lines in between seem to be picking up play, as McCutcheon-Gallagher-Barlow were buzzing around the net all weekend and Romano-Scott-Milo are always dangerous with their puck control and creativity.

Not to mention the power play, with the additons of Barlow and Salmela seems to be stepping it up a notch (fingers crossed).

Nothing looks better than the ability to roll four good lines at any time of the game when you want to make a run. I think that's a huge key if we are going to see a confident Cornell playoff team like we have been so used to seeing in the past.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 04:49PM

Davenport named ECAC Goaltender of the Week, and Greening is the Rookie of the Week.

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 04:52PM by Avash '05.

Date: February 19, 2007 05:20PM

Avash '05
Davenport named ECAC Goaltender of the Week, and Greening is the Rookie of the Week.

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Greening has played really well for two weeks now. He certainly deserves it.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:42PM

billhoward

Your erstwhile roommate might have way to make a living in Vegas with this kind of hysteresis.

I should call him and see if he already has tomorrow's paper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login