Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Florida Hockey Classic (Estero) roll call

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
Florida Hockey Classic (Estero) roll call
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 12:16PM

23 days out seems like as good a time as any to start. See you folks there. Who else?

Re: Florida Hockey Classic (Estero) roll call
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: December 06, 2006 12:38PM

Me and the Pumpkin!!

Pumpkin, aka my 5 year old nephew McClean, who did actually turn into "a pumpkin" and fell asleep in the 2nd period of game #2 both nights. Here's hoping he stays awake for both games or I may need help carrying to the car.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 01:56PM

I'm in which is bad news considering they have never won any of the first three times I've been.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2006 02:15PM

I've only missed one so far; don't see why I should let moving to Europe stop me. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ebilmes (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2006 02:26PM

The two of us will be there again.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 03:14PM

I'll be there... for both games this year, finally.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 06:31PM

Me! Though my flight is such that it looks like I'll probably miss half of the WMU-Maine game. (Interesting that UNH-Cornell gets top billing, despite the later start time, on USCHO's schedule page.)

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2006 08:49PM

I'll be there

Posted by: Rob NH (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 11:31PM

Not definite yet, but highly likely. Am rooting for Cornell the first day, despite being a UNH season ticket holder (makes up for me cheering for UNH in Buffalo).

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 11:42PM

Am rooting for Cornell the first day, despite being a UNH season ticket holder (makes up for me cheering for UNH in Buffalo).

No, it doesn't ;-)

Date: December 07, 2006 02:17AM

Liz '05
Me! Though my flight is such that it looks like I'll probably miss half of the WMU-Maine game. (Interesting that UNH-Cornell gets top billing, despite the later start time, on USCHO's schedule page.)

Well, the "marquee game" is often the late game at a four-team tournament.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 08:27AM

Maybe you'll break your record of futility. We're not going this year and Cornell always wins when we attend. We're going to miss it. The venue is first class and the crowd, at least first day, is pretty good.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2006 12:24PM

billhoward
Maybe you'll break your record of futility. We're not going this year and Cornell always wins when we attend. We're going to miss it. The venue is first class and the crowd, at least first day, is pretty good.

We'll miss the photography you did last year.

Date: December 07, 2006 01:01PM

reilly83

Am rooting for Cornell the first day, despite being a UNH season ticket holder (makes up for me cheering for UNH in Buffalo).

No, it doesn't ;-)
If it's any consolation, I was, and still am, on your side when it comes to the highstick decision in that game.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 07, 2006 01:13PM

Rob NH
reilly83

No, it doesn't ;-)
If it's any consolation, I was, and still am, on your side when it comes to the highstick decision in that game.
If you've got a time machine and some pull with Don Adam then yes, it would help. Otherwise, not so much...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 03:54PM

I caved when I found a good deal on a flight. I'll be there.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 07, 2006 04:06PM

Em and I will be there. I'll be in my white Cornell jersey (fake-style, i.e. PSP), with '03' on the back. She'll likely be in her Red Koronis Cornell jersey.

Please stop by and say hi, there's many of you who I've had lovely conversations with that I've never met :). I don't know where are seats are as I plan on buying on game day, but I plan on making my way to the largest gathering of Cornell fans.

Btw, I have flight, hotel, and car all set. Any suggestions on things to do? We'll be there for a couple days before and a day and a half afterwards. I'm consider the Everglades, a day in Tampa maybe, etc. Anyone who's been before care to recommend any must-see or must-do touristy (or non-touristy) things?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2006 06:18PM

Not that it really matters, but it looks like the seats given to the Cornell ticket office this year are in the 114 corner. I think we'd been in the 118 corner for the past couple years.

UHN is also having some sort of alumni reception at the rink, so maybe they'll be in the corner we usually have.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2006 09:24PM

Rob NH

Actually, it is. And to tell the truth, I have a warm spot in my heart for UHN fans - when we aren't playing each other. We met some friendly, knowledgable UNH townies at a doughnut shop near the arena at the 2002 regionals in Worcester. Fond memories, despite the outcome of the second game.

And BTW, nice winning streak.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 11:21PM

Yes.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2006 03:51PM

Peer pressure is a helluva motivator. I'm in.

Date: December 09, 2006 08:42PM

RichH

And the size of the band doubles...

Date: December 09, 2006 08:46PM

jtwcornell91
RichH

And the size of the band doubles...
All we need now is the trumpet part to Rocky.

Date: December 09, 2006 10:29PM

reilly83
Actually, it is. And to tell the truth, I have a warm spot in my heart for UHN fans - when we aren't playing each other. We met some friendly, knowledgable UNH townies at a doughnut shop near the arena at the 2002 regionals in Worcester. Fond memories, despite the outcome of the second game.
Well, like I posted on USCHO, try not to be too mean to the section of UNH students making the trip down, I've been slowly molding them in to members of the faithful. Don't be surprised to hear them shouting "RED!" during the anthem and joining in the singing of "Oh, Canada". :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2006 10:31PM by Rob NH.

Posted by: jkahn (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 03:24PM

I'll be there both nights (plus Marea K.). Just ordered tickets thru the Cornell box office - not that I expect a sell out, but since I've got family commitments on the other coast and will miss the WMU-Maine game the first night, I just felt more comfortable knowing I would have tickets in hand.
See y'all there.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:35PM

I'm trying to finagle my way there. If someone has a cheap hotel to recommend that'd probably push my attendance into the "definite" column.

Date: December 11, 2006 10:19PM

Jacob 03
I'm trying to finagle my way there. If someone has a cheap hotel to recommend that'd probably push my attendance into the "definite" column.
Staying at the Crestwood Suites in Fort Myers, 89.99 a night, about 10 miles from the airport and 10 miles from the arena. Room on the floor available if you're that desperate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2006 10:58PM by Rob NH.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 08:27AM

Jacob 03

You could try Priceline. If anyone still has any rooms left at this date, they're probably willing to let them go at reasonable prices. Then again, that's a definite 'if' in Florida between XMas and New Years.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 02:00AM

Thanks for the hotel tips, Rob and Fred. I'll see you at the games.

Re: Florida Hockey Classic (Estero) roll call - Priceline tips
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 08:18AM

DeltaOne81
Jacob 03

You could try Priceline. If anyone still has any rooms left at this date, they're probably willing to let them go at reasonable prices. Then again, that's a definite 'if' in Florida between XMas and New Years.
A friend who did a book on Priceline shopping said:
- First time you log on (ever) Priceline may give you a better deal, sort of a first-time discount. That was so in the past, at least.
- Because you can't resubmit the exact same bid twice: First pass through an area, make it as small a geographic swath as possible with a lot of restrictions, then if your bid is rejected you can widen the area search while also increasing your bid a few dollars. Of course, this works better for NYC or Las Vegas than Estero, Fla.

Date: December 13, 2006 11:45AM

billhoward
A friend who did a book on Priceline shopping said:
- First time you log on (ever) Priceline may give you a better deal, sort of a first-time discount. That was so in the past, at least.

Not sure I buy it. There's a ton of factors that go into it - style of hotel, how busy the area is that particular weekend, how close it is to your travel time. That's why I can usually get great deals in Albany in March a week in advance (plenty of empty rooms that they'd like to sell for something rather than sit empty), but Florida in late December was tougher. I could see someone mistaking a little bit of luck for some "first bid" discount.

- Because you can't resubmit the exact same bid twice: First pass through an area, make it as small a geographic swath as possible with a lot of restrictions, then if your bid is rejected you can widen the area search while also increasing your bid a few dollars. Of course, this works better for NYC or Las Vegas than Estero, Fla.

Well, you *can* submit the same bid twice, but not within 3 days. In fact, you can't even submit the same bid with a higher price twice, within 3 days. Meaning you can't just bid... $40... $41... $42, etc.

So yes, start with a narrow scope of areas and a fairly high star rating. Then you can start adding areas and lowering your star requirements.

And, I beg to differ, it works fine in Estero/Ft Myers. You are presented with the following areas: South Ft Myers & RSW Airport, Ft Myers Beach, Ft Myers, Bonita Springs, Gateway to the Islands, Sanibel and Captiva Islands, Naples (maybe too far), and Marco Island (probably too far). So that's 8 areas 5 star levels, for 13 different bids maximum... and then wait 3 days and do 13 more.

P.S. I'm also not sure I completely buy that you can't submit the same bid twice - at least by logging out and coming back, rather than following the 'try again' links. But I've never really proved it.

Date: December 13, 2006 12:16PM

DeltaOne81
So that's 8 areas 5 star levels, for 13 different bids maximum...

Shouldn't that be 8*5=40 rather than 8+5=13?

Date: December 13, 2006 12:36PM

jtwcornell91
DeltaOne81
So that's 8 areas 5 star levels, for 13 different bids maximum...

Shouldn't that be 8*5=40 rather than 8+5=13?

I thought about that for a minute before I wrote it. No.

Once you add an area, or go down in star, you can't return back (at least not if you follow the 'try again' link). So you *can't* do:

Area 1 at each star level
and then
Area 1 & 2 at each star level
etc.

Because you've if you've already gone down to 1 star, you can't go back up when you add area 2.

You have 7 different adding areas to do, and 4 different downward star moves to do. Plus the original bid, is actually 12. So 12, but not 40.

Posted by: las224 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 14, 2006 02:44PM

And... I'm coming! Just booked my flight, Newark direct to Sarasota and direct back from Dec 29 to Jan 2, all for a grand total of $229 with tax (yay specials). Gives me a nice little vacation on the beach in addition to getting to see the hockey games! Wow, I'm excited :) Let's go red!!!

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 06:54PM

So does anyone have a PepBand CD they can hand deliver to the DJ so they can play Davy? Two years ago I think Grant mailed one down and I emailed Craig Brush to alert him to the issue, and none of that seemed to help.

Date: December 14, 2006 08:22PM

jkahn
So does anyone have a PepBand CD they can hand deliver to the DJ so they can play Davy? Two years ago I think Grant mailed one down and I emailed Craig Brush to alert him to the issue, and none of that seemed to help.
As of right now we'll have two trombones there to play Davy. They didn't play over the three-person pepband playing Davy last year, so I doubt they'd do it this year.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2006 09:10PM

I don't know where my actual CD is, but I have the songs on my computer and could burn a copy to give to the DJ if people want me to?

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 09:15PM

Section A Banshee
jkahn
As of right now we'll have two trombones there to play Davy. They didn't play over the three-person pepband playing Davy last year, so I doubt they'd do it this year.
That's great. Last year I was only there for day two, and you guys were only at day one, so I missed it.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.76.54.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 09:16PM

If we have two bones, I don't think we'll need the recording. From what I vividly remember at the Red-White scrimmage, the bones can be plenty loud when they need to be. Plus, like Banshee said, they didn't compete with the "band" last year.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 11:14PM

Section A Banshee
jkahn

Yeah. And both of us are plenty loud. Whether or not I have the stamina at this advanced age to do two games remains to be seen.

I have both Pep Band CDs and a Marching Band CD which I'll bring as well.

Date: December 27, 2006 11:10PM

ebilmes
Not that it really matters, but it looks like the seats given to the Cornell ticket office this year are in the 114 corner. I think we'd been in the 118 corner for the past couple years.

UHN is also having some sort of alumni reception at the rink, so maybe they'll be in the corner we usually have.
The tickets I got off of my UNH buddies were in section 103. Presume they were bought through the UNH box office.

Re: Florida Hockey Classic (Estero) .. PS
Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: January 04, 2007 09:16PM

A belated postscript to the Everblades Tourney (I think it was originally called the Florida Everblades College Hockey Classic, Yeah, that is what my 2003 tourney T-shirt says.) ...

My nephew and I had a great time at the games and thanks to everyone who answered his questions and helped keep him amused :). BTW, my nephew had a short cat nap during the 2nd period of the Cornell-UNH game, but otherwise stayed awake for the games.

It was great seeing people from previous tourneys and meeting other members of the Lynah Faithful. Thanks again to Lauren and Rich for bringing their trombones and doing an awesome job as our Pep Band!! I hope the cowbell has forgiven Ari for leaving her (?) behind *and* for hooking up with that NH cowbell:-P.

I'm having a hard time getting a read on our team this year. I really do hope that they fix the PK soon. They probably need a bit more offensive firepower, especially if we do not get more production from the PP units. We do not seem to be quite strong enough defensively to play with a team of sharp shooters like Maine, and if our PP isn't producing, we really can get into a hole.

However, our team is young and showed some flashes of offense and it will be a lot of fun, with some anxious moments mixed in, watching this team mature. I'm optimistically looking forward to a good second half of the season.

Let's Go Red!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login