Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros -- December 2006

Alumni in the Pros -- December 2006
Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 09:44AM

It's December now.

A couple of recent Cornell alums connected on the power play to open up scoring in last night's Binghamton/Syracuse matchup, as Vesce netted the goal, assist to Charlie Cook. Binghamton went on to win 4-2.

Elsewhere in the AHL, Ryan O'Byrne and the Hamilton Bulldogs were shut out by the Toronto Marlies, 1-0. LeNeveu watched from the bench as San Antonio was shut out by Omaha, 2-0.

In the ECHL, Greg Hornby continues to be Greg Hornby, racking up 66 penalty minutes in 16 games so far this season for the Victoria Salmon Kings. Gleed is logging in time with the Cincinatti Cyclones, where he is +4 with 1 assist and 26 penalty minutes in 6 games. Hynes and McKee are playing together in Augusta. Hynes is listed as a defenseman and has 5 goals and 7 assists in 19 games played. He is -9 with 49 PIM. Augusta has gone 9-4 with McKee between the pipes despite mediocre numbers from him (0.896 SV%, 3.65 GAA). I'm sure I missed some folks floating around in the ECHL, but...I'm spent.

Re: Alumni in the Pros -- December 2006
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:49AM

Not Cornell Alumni, but very interesting former ECAC news nonetheless: Eric Perrin is back with the Lightning, reuniting with lifelong linemate Martin St. Louis. Even more interesting, they both faced Tim Thomas in Boston this week. Both netted a goal, but Thomas stopped all seven shots in the shootout (including both Keebler Elves) to get the win.

[www.uvm.edu]

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 11:08PM

LeNeveu started for San Antonio tonight and was named third star of the game despite a losing effort in which he gave up 5 goals. Lenny stopped 55 of the 60 shots Chicago sent his way (his Chicago counterpart stopped 18 out of 22 for the W).

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:08AM

Perrin got his seventh of the season tonight - looking quite good for a guy who has battled a long time to get to the NHL.

Yale alum Jeff Hamilton recorded his first NHL hat trick tonight for the Blackhawks who are now 3-0 since Denis Savard took over.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:50AM

Any chance Murray will be back with the Sharks, say, this Thursday?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 02:24AM

Speaking of Chicago, I missed the fading of Stephen Bâby. He is still listed on the roster, but has only played 7 of 23 games. One goal, 2 assists, 16 penalty minutes. They show 6 centers, 7 right wings, and 3 left wings.

Date: December 03, 2006 04:21AM

According to Pierre LeBrun, Pat Quinn said he would consider coaching in college if he can't get a job in the NHL.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:04PM

most of cornell's pro-products are stinking it up in the pros right now. its kind of frustrating as a fan, but it does show how insanely hard it is to make an impact at the next level (that is the AHL, not to mention the NHL)
Lenny was stinking it up, albeit under unfair scrutiny, Doug Murray has barely cracked the Sharks lineup. Moulson is a non factor in Manchester.
Only quiet production from Vesce in Bingo-town and some by Mike Iggulden in Worcester are really the highlights.
Hynes has not regained any luster, and Sasha Pokulok is still sidelined with a concussion. McKee is still behind a goalie logjam in the Ducks org, even pink socks Nathan Marsters is ahead of him in the depth charts. sad.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 01:16PM

Point of order, pink socks was Steve Silverthorn. Marsters used to do this bizarre mask-flip thing as part of his skate-turn-tap-etc. routine.

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 04:04PM

Speaking of which, last night's sieve Mrazek (or is that Mr. Azek?) wore no socks at all. That led to a few fun chants over in section G.burnout

Date: December 03, 2006 04:22PM

dang! you are right, Banshee.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:36PM

RichH
Not Cornell Alumni, but very interesting former ECAC news nonetheless: Eric Perrin is back with the Lightning, reuniting with lifelong linemate Martin St. Louis. Even more interesting, they both faced Tim Thomas in Boston this week. Both netted a goal, but Thomas stopped all seven shots in the shootout (including both Keebler Elves) to get the win.

[www.uvm.edu]
I hated those guys but respected the hell out of them. Well, not Thomas. I just hated him. I'm happy for Perrin and St. Louis.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: December 07, 2006 02:58PM

Murray is on the injured reserve with an upper respiratory infection apparently. That's been posted back on Nov 29th. Think he'd be healthy be now???

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: December 07, 2006 03:09PM

Section A Banshee
Point of order, pink socks was Steve Silverthorn. Marsters used to do this bizarre mask-flip thing as part of his skate-turn-tap-etc. routine.

It really isn't all that "bizarre." I've seen many goalies do exactly the same thing that Marsters did/does. And many don't wear socks although I always did. :-D

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: December 07, 2006 03:51PM

Rich S
Section A Banshee

It really isn't all that "bizarre." I've seen many goalies do exactly the same thing that Marsters did/does. And many don't wear socks although I always did. :-D
Did you wear a mask? That would explain a lot. uhoh

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: December 07, 2006 04:10PM

ugarte
Rich S
Section A Banshee

Not sure what "explanation" you're seeking but yeah I wore a mask. You think I'm older than Jacques Plante? wow

What's your explanation?:-}

Date: December 07, 2006 05:01PM

Rich S
ugarte
Rich S
Section A Banshee

Not sure what "explanation" you're seeking but yeah I wore a mask. You think I'm older than Jacques Plante? wow

What's your explanation?:-}
If you wore a mask? A clumsy OB/GYN.

Good night, folks. Tip your waitresses.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 10:09PM

nut

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 10:29PM

Doug Murray was activated from injured reserve today

Date: December 12, 2006 12:00AM

nshapiro
Doug Murray was activated from injured reserve today

4 shifts and 3:20 time on ice as we start the 3rd.

Date: December 12, 2006 12:01AM

Brian Hayward also got a mention on the Sharks broadcast as they were showing various hockey helmets and showed Brian's from the Shark's first year.

Date: December 12, 2006 12:11AM

Doug almost gets into a fight with the black guy on the Coyotes (anyone know who that is?).

Date: December 12, 2006 01:21AM

French Rage
Doug almost gets into a fight with the black guy on the Coyotes (anyone know who that is?).

Georges Laraque. Murray would have gotten the shit kicked out of him.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 10:48PM

Murray in lineup again tonight vs. Kings. And Coyote's backup Tellquist has given up 4 goals in the first period tonight. Maybe that'll speed Lenny's return.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:06PM

Doug had a nice drive from the blueline on a delayed penalty that brought back memories. He is getting pretty regular shifts tonight.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 01:02AM

The worst part about Pokulok's injury is he's missing out on development time and falling behind the depth chart in Washington. The Caps have a lot of D-prospects... and the D they've already got is young (Morrison - 24; Eminger - 23; Mike Green - 21). Even John Erskine is only 26... and he's played well enough so far to earn a look in the Caps future years.

here's a good blog post about a couple of the other young Hershey d-men development. [dumpnchase.wordpress.com]

Iggulden injured?
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 15, 2006 03:31PM

Does anyone know what's going on with Mike Iggulden? He hasn't played for a few weeks.

Edit: He's back in the lineup tonight. It's his first game since 11/25.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2006 07:37PM by redhair34.

Phoenix to trade Leneveu?
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 15, 2006 06:51PM

[www.azcentral.com]

Coyotes closer on LeNeveu trade
The Phoenix Coyotes are closing in on trading goaltender David LeNeveu. Several teams have inquired about LeNeveu and a trade could happen sometime next week. Phoenix is looking for prospects in any trade for the 23-year old goaltender, who was 2-1 this season with a 3.86 goals against average for the Coyotes before being assigned to the minors.

Re: Phoenix to trade Leneveu?
Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 07:58PM

Good, the sooner he gets to a real team, the better.

Abbotts, Pegs, Downs all Mudbugs
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 09:44PM

[theithacajournal.com]

Date: December 17, 2006 12:57AM

moulson nets a pair adn the GWG aginst worcester and cook and vesce add on a piece in a loss. in th echl, shane hynes is a wing again. and mckee is dooing pooorly.

Shane Hynes
Date: December 21, 2006 09:54AM

hockey's future has some words on Shane Hynes.

Ryan O'Byrne
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 21, 2006 04:37PM

In news relating to players who haven't suffered severe injuries or persecution by great-players-turned-awful-coaches, Ryan O'Byrne has played all 29 of the Hamilton Bulldogs' games this year, with no goals, 4 assists, 57 penalty minutes, and a +4 rating (which isn't terrible, but isn't great since the team has 11 guys with a +6 or better and only 4 with a minus for the year).

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 12:16AM

Went to the Binghamton-Rochester game last weekend, which Rochester won 10-4. Vesce had a goal and an assist, including a nice tip-in, and Cook had a very interesting goal in which he broke in on a partial breakaway, had his shot stopped, and then literally shoved the goalie Anderson into the goal with his stick. I was more amused than the fans around me, who would have probably been executed had they said those things at Lynah.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 09:18PM

Karlmoose
Went to the Binghamton-Rochester game last weekend, which Rochester won 10-4. Vesce had a goal and an assist, including a nice tip-in, and Cook had a very interesting goal in which he broke in on a partial breakaway, had his shot stopped, and then literally shoved the goalie Anderson into the goal with his stick. I was more amused than the fans around me, who would have probably been executed had they said those things at Lynah.

Maybe Mr. Noel wants the fans to turn pro early and go elsewhere.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 10:36PM

billhoward
Karlmoose

Maybe Mr. Noel wants the fans to turn pro early and go elsewhere.

I had understood Karl as saying that the Faithful would've executed the opposing fans for saying those things (whatever they were), but I could be mistaken...

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 02:39PM

Good Article on Mike Rutter who is playing for the Odessa (Tx) Jackalopes.

From the Odessa American:
All of Rutter’s moves have paid off since the first time he laced up skates. A solid junior hockey career afforded him the opportunity to pursue both his passion and matriculate at the same time.
He chose Cornell over Harvard and Princeton, falling in love with the collegiate atmosphere the first time he stepped on the Ithaca, N.Y., campus and walked into Lynah Rink, home of the “Big Red.”
“It was unbelievable,” Rutter said of the low-roofed building that features a horseshoe-shaped seating pattern for just fewer than 4,000 of the most knowledgeable hockey fans.
“I was hooked the minute I walked in. I didn’t want to play anywhere else.”
Cornell hockey coach Mike Schafer knows exactly what Rutter is talking about, having played at Cornell before coming back to in 1995 to coach his alma mater, one year before he recruited Rutter.
Schafer uses Lynah Rink as a major recruiting tool.
“I think that the only thing you can compare it with is Cameron Stadium at Duke,” Schafer said. “The students take up half the horseshoe and they never sit down and they are never quiet for the entire three hours of the game.
“What we saw in Mike was good offensive skills and instincts, things you can’t teach, and good skating speed. Mike was an offensive threat for us and he got better each year and that’s what you want to see. Mike had a great senior year for us and he’s done very well as a professional.”

Here's the entire article
Odessa American Online
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2006 02:45PM by Larry72.

Sasha Pokulok
Date: December 23, 2006 02:40PM

from hockeysfuture.com

Sasha Pokulok, D -- Hershey Bears (AHL)
Height: 6’5, Weight: 230 lbs
2005 Draft, 14th overall

After two respectable seasons at Cornell University, Pokulok decided to forego his remaining NCAA eligibility and turned pro this summer when he signed an entry-level contract with the Caps. Pokulok has only appeared in one game to date, however, as the young defender has been nursing a concussion that he suffered during the opening game of the Bears’ season.

While Pokulok has unfortunately not yet been given the chance to prove why he was the Caps’ first pick in the 2005 NHL draft, he may be cleared to play soon and is likely eager to get back and prove his wares. Concussions can be tricky injuries, and with the Bears already 15 games over .500, there is no real hurry to bring him back until he is fully recovered.

For a 6’5, 230 lb. player, Pokulok is quite agile and is even decent carrying the puck. Although he is a far cry from ever becoming the next Caps’ power-play quarterback, he is however, a decent prospect who may eventually pan out and give Washington some valuable and reliable depth on the blue line -- a third or fourth defender perhaps. He is also not overly physical for someone of his size and ability, and since occasional injuries were a concern while he was at Cornell, the hope is that this is injury is by no means a trend or a testament of his overall durability.

Sharks/Flames 10:00 EST
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2006 09:35PM

For those of you on along the border like I am.

This is the late Hockey Night in Canada game.

ECAC alumni: Tim Thomas playing great for the Bruins in the last few games. Phenomenal in the shut-out against Vancouver a couple of nights ago and rock-solid in tonight's win over Montreal.

Re: Sharks/Flames 10:00 EST
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 10:32PM

cth95
Tim Thomas playing great for the Bruins in the last few games. Phenomenal in the shut-out against Vancouver a couple of nights ago...

...including one of the best theft saves I've ever seen.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Sasha Pokulok
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 11:06PM

The Rancor
from hockeysfuture.com

Sasha Pokulok, D -- Hershey Bears (AHL)
Height: 6’5, Weight: 230 lbs
2005 Draft, 14th overall

After two respectable seasons at Cornell University, Pokulok decided to forego his remaining NCAA eligibility and turned pro this summer when he signed an entry-level contract with the Caps. Pokulok has only appeared in one game to date, however, as the young defender has been nursing a concussion that he suffered during the opening game of the Bears’ season.

While Pokulok has unfortunately not yet been given the chance to prove why he was the Caps’ first pick in the 2005 NHL draft, he may be cleared to play soon and is likely eager to get back and prove his wares. Concussions can be tricky injuries, and with the Bears already 15 games over .500, there is no real hurry to bring him back until he is fully recovered.

For a 6’5, 230 lb. player, Pokulok is quite agile and is even decent carrying the puck. Although he is a far cry from ever becoming the next Caps’ power-play quarterback, he is however, a decent prospect who may eventually pan out and give Washington some valuable and reliable depth on the blue line -- a third or fourth defender perhaps. He is also not overly physical for someone of his size and ability, and since occasional injuries were a concern while he was at Cornell, the hope is that this is injury is by no means a trend or a testament of his overall durability.

Rather faint praise for someone taken as the 14th pick in the draft.

Vesce
Date: December 24, 2006 12:50AM

Vesce gets 17, yes, 17 mins with the misconduct for instigating. Ryan Vesce.

Re: Vesce
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2006 04:31PM

What is that, 10 min misconduct, 5 for fighting, and 2 for roughing?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 04:34PM

most likely.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: December 25, 2006 02:30PM

Liz '05

yep. by the way he had 14 mins of penelty time as a senior,

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 12:29AM

The Rancor
Liz '05

yep. by the way he had 14 mins of penelty time as a senior,
7 penalties. 7 points in the game at Princeton. Fair trade-off, I'd say.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 06:32PM

Not sure how recent this update on McKee is, but it looks like he's been recalled again:

ducksnewsrelease

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: December 28, 2006 08:11PM

Jean-Sebastien Giguere just injured his groin on Tuesday night, so McKee's recall is very recent. He joins Todd Marchant, Andy McDonald, George Parros, and Kent Huskins as ECAC alums on the Ducks.

On an entirely different note, Bob Snow wrote in this week's NHL.com 'On Campus" feature article that Shaun Hannah's first child, Emma Elizabeth, was born two weeks ago.

Date: December 29, 2006 09:51AM

cbuckser
On an entirely different note, Bob Snow wrote in this week's NHL.com 'On Campus" feature article that Shaun Hannah's first child, Emma Elizabeth, was born two weeks ago.
"She is so adorable. She's got her mom's eyes and her dad's height."

That game never happened.

Re: Shane Hynes
Posted by: Steve M (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 02:19AM

The Rancor
hockey's future has some words on Shane Hynes.

Thanks for the link. I'm happy to read that Hynes is playing well. I knew he had a knee injury, but didn't realize he had ACL reconstruction. It's tough surgery to recover from (they drill a hole through the center of your knee and string a graft through it to become your new ACL) as I know from personal experience.

Here's a story about Hynes' selection to the ECHL all-star game.
[oursportscentral.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 02:31AM by Steve M.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 02, 2007 08:40PM

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere else but McKee was sent back to Augusta on Dec. 30th

[www.mightyducks.com]

Posted by: las224 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 09:35AM

LaJollaRed
Not sure how recent this update on McKee is, but it looks like he's been recalled again:

ducksnewsrelease

This article indicates that McKee helped the team to the 2006 Frozen Four. I wish!

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 10:46AM

Doug Murray had an assist last night on the Sharks' ninth goal, a PP goal, as a rebound of Doug's shot was put in by Ryane Clowe. Doug actually started the game, and had two hard shots on goal in the first twenty seconds on which Hasek had to make tough saves. Nevertheless, Doug still only got 6:11 of playing time. Joe Pavelski, from last season's Wisconsin team, also started the game and he notched his sixth goal of the season last night.

Edit: immediately after posting noticed this was the Dec. thread. Didn't notice it at first as it was higher on the list of threads than the January one due to another post an hour ago and I incorrectly assumed it was the most recent. I now see that Doug's game was mentioned on the January thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2007 10:50AM by jkahn.

Date: January 05, 2007 10:57AM

las224
LaJollaRed

ducksnewsrelease

This article indicates that McKee helped the team to the 2006 Frozen Four. I wish!
He did all he could.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login