Women 2026-27

Started by Weder, June 11, 2026, 12:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weder

Quote from: jtwcornell91 on August 31, 2026, 01:56:04 PMDunno if this deserves its own thread:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-women/article/2026-08-31/2027-womens-frozen-four-dates-changed

They've moved them from Friday/Sunday (March 19/21) to Sunday/Tuesday (March 21/23), ostensibly to allow them to be broadcast on ESPN's "linear channels" which I assume are the ones you have to pay extra for if you don't have cable.  >:(

Linear channels means traditional cable channels. So I'm guessing this means they will probably put the semis on ESPNU or something instead of streaming-only, which is what I think they were the past few seasons.
3/8/96

sah67

#31
Following the WCHA's trial run last year, the NCAA is allowing all women's conferences to "opt in" to a new rule allowing pucks to be played at any height, with no whistles for high sticking (apart from actual penalties). Or, as the NCAA calls it, "unlimited high sticking", which also sounds like some sort of bizarre credit card perk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/1w3s7y4/milewski_the_ncaa_will_allow_womens_hockey/

Weder

No. 3 in ECAC preseason poll (Quinnipiac and Princeton are 1-2).
3/8/96

billchu

For anyone closer to the program than I am, what is the outlook for the women's team for the 2026-2027 season?  The preseason poll says 3rd. 

The issue last year was that the team had only 11 forwards.  The team looked exhausted by the end of the season.  With the nine person class coming in, there are now 14 F, 7 D, and 3 G.  Which of the newcomers are going to have a big impact?  Last year, only Curtis seemed to have a big impact. 

For Cornell to finish in the top three, they will need at least four of the newcomers to really shine.

Next year's incoming class also has nine skaters and is apparently ranked near the top, according to neutral zone.

stereax

Quote from: billchu on October 06, 2026, 03:28:08 PMFor anyone closer to the program than I am, what is the outlook for the women's team for the 2026-2027 season?  The preseason poll says 3rd. 

The issue last year was that the team had only 11 forwards.  The team looked exhausted by the end of the season.  With the nine person class coming in, there are now 14 F, 7 D, and 3 G.  Which of the newcomers are going to have a big impact?  Last year, only Curtis seemed to have a big impact. 

For Cornell to finish in the top three, they will need at least four of the newcomers to really shine.

Next year's incoming class also has nine skaters and is apparently ranked near the top, according to neutral zone.
I think we've got a good shot. I don't particularly know the "most likely to shine" from this class, but scrolling through the roster I see past teams I'm aware of, so that's probably a good sign.
Law '27, Section C denizen, liveblogging from Lynah!
it's ster-e-ax, like stereo

George64

Here's an analysis from a friend who follows the women's team pretty closely:  "I think the key with Doug's teams has always started with defense and I think they missed Rory Guilday last year more than they might like to admit.  For sure, the team will miss Avi Adam up front this year as well as Grace Dwyer on the blue line, but I'm expecting a good year from Lindzi Avar – I think being named co-captain (with Karel Prefontaine) will help her.  Piper Grober, Karel and Rose Dwyer should be a good start on defense and Doug has added some size there with Carly Dann (5'10").  Speaking of size, I'll be interested to see 6'1" Keira Bruen up front.  An issue last year was Bergmann's propensity to give up rebounds, and here, I think, is where the team really missed Guilday and Ashley Messier and their ability to keep the front of the net clear.  Remains to be seen if that gets fixed."

stereax

Thank your friend from us 💜
Law '27, Section C denizen, liveblogging from Lynah!
it's ster-e-ax, like stereo

Weder

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jillian McLaughlin brings to the offense.

For next year's class, Tereza Gildainova is very promising -- has put up huge numbers on a hockey academy team stacked with DI commits and has done well at World Juniors as well.
3/8/96

Weder

Rory Guilday will be doing a meet and greet and giving a talk at Ithaca High School on Oct. 17 while she's in town for the games against Vermont,
3/8/96

billchu

Quote from: Weder on October 07, 2026, 01:04:30 PMI'm looking forward to seeing what Jillian McLaughlin brings to the offense.

For next year's class, Tereza Gildainova is very promising -- has put up huge numbers on a hockey academy team stacked with DI commits and has done well at World Juniors as well.

Yes.  For this year's class, I'm expecting big things from McLaughlin, the Bishop twins, and Carly Dann (who may be the physical presence needed on D to replace Grace Dwyer).  We'll see this weekend.

Next year's class is filthy.  Besides the aforementioned Gildainova, Aurora Matt was on the Canada U18 team and Bria Schilling was on the US U18 team.  Another big defender in Kate Hall from Shattuck...