Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Cornell Bears?

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
The Cornell Bears?
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 02:28PM

Fellow Big Red fans-

There is a move underway amongst undergraduates on campus to make the Bear our official mascot, seemingly led by Brian Hughes (BLH34), the current man inside the bear costume who was profiled in Playboy. I don't know about you, but I am against it. First you make the bear the mascot, and next they'll want to make us the Bears instead of the Big Red. I'm not sure of the best path to make the opinion of alumni who like being the Big Red known to the administration, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Below is the text of the SA (student assembly/stupid asshole) resolution regarding the issue that passed unanimously on May 4th:

R.33

R. 33 Resolution Regarding The Creation of a Bear Sculpture Designed to Enhance Pride and Unity on Campus

Whereas, the Student Assembly (S.A.) values efforts to enhance the pride and unity of students, faculty, and staff of Cornell University; and

Whereas, Cornell has a fine tradition of school spirit; and

Whereas, the symbol of the bear is inextricably identified with Cornell University and has been for many decades; and

Whereas, the student body has expressed and embraced much of its proud traditions through its unofficial mascot, the Big Red Bear; and

Whereas, the student body wants to continue to instill pride and unity in our great university by connecting with traditions from our past; and

Whereas, the symbol of the bear is already a popular presence on campus, on the Cornell website, at athletic competitions, and on Cornell apparel celebrating the university; and

Whereas, many great universities throughout the country have created artistic sculptures of their school mascots and symbols; and

Whereas, brown bears still populate the forests of upstate New York, and are appropriate symbols of our local ecological heritage; and

Whereas, recently a lot of attention has been given to the history and tradition of the Big Red Bear, as well as the history of Touchdown I, the original mascot of the football team, since 1915.

Be it therefore resolved, that the student body celebrates this wonderful tradition of the Big Red Bear, and the S.A. seeks to use this tradition to reinvigorate school pride by examining the establishment of a beautiful artistic sculpture to be located in a prominent place on campus (e.g., libe slope, where it would overlook and act as a symbolic guardian of the campus); and

Be it further resolved, that the S.A. commission such a process by establishing an ad-hoc committee, co-chaired by (INSERT CO-CHAIRS HERE), to further examine the creation of a bear sculpture on campus and present a report to the administration with regards to such an undertaking, so that past, present and future generations may enjoy the pride and strength of this great institution personified by this sculpture; and

Be it further resolved, that the committee will ensure that fundraising for this project will be limited to no more than $1000 (or another small amount) per contributor, so that the sculpture of the bear will truly be a “people’s” bear, funded by the community of past, present, and future Cornellians, and not by a single contributor. In this way, everyone in the larger Cornell community will have the opportunity to participate and feel invested in this glorious project; and

Be it further resolved, that if possible, the committee will attempt to ensure that the artist commissioned for the project be an alumnus of Cornell, who has a personal connection to this university; and

Be it further resolved, that the committee be comprised of members of the Cornell administration, faculty, and student body, past and present, to ensure that the artist fulfills the creative vision of the community; and

Be it finally resolved, that the S.A. encourages the administration of Cornell University to incorporate the creation of this wonderful sculpture with the hopes of making the bear the official and legal mascot of Cornell University, and its sports teams, pursuant to the aforementioned committee’s report.

Respectfully Submitted,

Alon Yishai Mass ‘08
Treasurer, Cornell University Class Council of 2008
Member, Student Assembly Appropriations Committee

Brian Luttrell Hughes ‘07
President, Mascot, The Big Red Bears
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 02:29PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Re: The Cornell Bears?
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 02:47PM

oh eew.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 04:03PM

Profiled in Playboy? Anyone want to throw a link to the article? No, really. The article.

PM me the images.

Date: May 18, 2006 04:06PM

The stupid ugly annoying bear in Playboy:

[www.playboy.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 05:40PM

This would really be an outrage. But an organization that could come up with "the spirit of the Red" is capable of anything.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 18, 2006 05:53PM

I love that the picture is of the basketball mascot. yark

ETA: and "Big Red" is the bear's name? screwy

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 05:59PM by jtwcornell91.

Date: May 18, 2006 05:56PM

Yes, if only we had some sort of iconic statue that could represent Cornell and instill spirit and tradition... rolleyes

Isn't there some other team in the league called the Bears?
Date: May 18, 2006 06:05PM

[www.browndailyherald.com]

Re: Isn't there some other team in the league called the Bears?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:07PM

Maybe we could change our color, too. worry

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:36PM

Big Red Bear as a mascot, fine. Big Red Bear as the official bear of Cornell University, the annointed mascot as ordained by the Student Assembly ... um, is the SA any more useful in the 2000s than in the 1980s, 1980s, 1970s, etcetera?

If the bear comes back: I'm all for the bear's striptease after the second period of the final home game at Lynah (um, there will be a Lynah sometime next year?). You're always hoping the bear is somebody hot, as opposed to a person shaped about like the bear costume and sweating profusely.

It depends on the meaning of do.....
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:56PM

Playboy.com: Ladies love the bad boys, or bears in your case. When can students find you cheering on the sidelines?
Big Red: I do all the major sports, like football, hockey, basketball and women's volleyball. I love women's volleyball because I've never seen a game played that well and the girls look good, too.

An invisible bear? Or did he actually show up at some of the games?

Re: It depends on the meaning of do.....
Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 07:16PM

I believe I recall seeing him at one game last year...kind of cruising around the top and coming down the aisles (townie side) to cruise the glass and shake hands with little kids (most of whom, of course, screamed and cried because they were too little and their parents wanted to force them to be by the bear for a picture...but that's a rant I shouldn't start).

Of course, I could be wrong. I remember when two bears used to skate during the intermissions and both strip during the last home game. I remember a few bear fights and some bears who could really skate (and do ice-skating twisty jumps and such). The whole bear thing kind of runs together for me.

I have to say, I kind of miss the intermission bears. It did give something to do during that time. I seem to recall them being banned from being on the ice with the zamboni after one bear didn't see the zamboni coming and caused the zamboni to have to go around.

Re: It depends on the meaning of do.....
Date: May 18, 2006 08:10PM

The skating bears were favorites of ours, too. Miss them every time we visit Lynah.

Re: The Cornell Bears? Noooo.....Cornell Big Red!
Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 09:43PM

We too miss the skating bears in their retro sweaters. The last time we remember seeing the two of them was during the 2004-2005 season. Mascot? YES! Calling us the B**** - NOT! I can't even write it out it sounds so baaaad.

The role of mascot at some schools has been elevated almost to artist or professional. They attract the students, alums and their kids in a nice way, instilling school spirit. During a bad season the mascot (and the pep band) give people good reason to come to the games.

BTW - might it be better to maintain the aura of the character (no stripping)?

Always and forever will Cornell be known as the Big Red ... LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 10:00PM by miniteam8s.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 11:59PM

miniteam8s
The role of mascot at some schools has been elevated almost to artist or professional. They attract the students, alums and their kids in a nice way, instilling school spirit. During a bad season the mascot (and the pep band) give people good reason to come to the games.

But you see, this just sounds a little too much like varsity cheerleaders and other people who have an inflated image of their own importance.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 08:17AM

The bear-on-ice striptease was always tastefully done. Plus the season is a metaphor for one's personal growth at Cornell, and as the end nears, you spread your wings and try a thousand things you hadn't earlier dared.

There is always the possibility we'd find the disrobed bear to be a whorish temptress with illegitmate children (not inside the costume) wearing a North Carolina Central State T-shirt, looking to be banged about by the Zamboni and allegedly hoping for a windfall and publicity, all as explained on FoxNews dot com. Oops, sorry, cross-linked thread.

Date: May 19, 2006 09:46AM

:-D Bill, did you graduate in '70?

Date: May 19, 2006 04:39PM

miniteam8s
BTW - might it be better to maintain the aura of the character (no stripping)?

LGR!

The striptease was a wonderful surprise when our family was entertained by it and we looked forward to it on several occasions in subsequent years. I think that one of the really classy parts of this tradition was that the bears heads only came off if the bear was a senior. I had to have this explained to me and I still smile :-) thinking about it.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 10:14AM

If you want to formalize the mascot, and are a big fan of the striptease, why not go with this? You would save yourself the "tease" and get right down to business. (SFW, by the way. More or less.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 03, 2006 05:07PM

I support having one bear on ice like we did duing my on-campus tenure. Having male and female bears is a nod to political correctness that I won't support.

I'm not sure it was classy, as Marty notes, though. One year, the bear concluded the striptease by mooning the crowd. When he came off he was busted for indecent exposure. Don't know whether he was actually prosecuted.

Frankly the "Big Red Bears" sounds too much like a movie with Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neal (or even worse, Billy Bob Thornton). I hope we never go there.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: June 06, 2006 06:59PM

The only acceptable words to come after "Respectfully Submitted" are "Douglas C. Niedermeyer."

There should be a Student Assembly by-law that mandates that if at any time a referendum held on their proposals determines that 90% of the campus thinks they are wasting their and everybody else's time, then they should immeidately have their hands amputated.

Date: June 06, 2006 08:58PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I'm not sure it was classy, as Marty notes, though.

The "classy" remark referring to the removal of the bear heads only if the bear was a retiring senior. Otherwise our family found it fun/amusing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login