Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Army @ MLax

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Army @ MLax
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 01:19PM

3-1 Cornell after the first quarter
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2006 01:20PM by DeltaOne81.

Re: Army @ MLax
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.77.216.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 01:32PM

Feed seems to have died. Thanks, All Access...

Date: March 11, 2006 01:33PM

Yup :(

Posted by: jhib (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 01:34PM

It's now 5-1 Cornell in the 2nd.

Date: March 11, 2006 01:35PM

Does anyone know how to contact someone at the game (either in the press box or not) to tell them the feed went down? It worked last night.

Anyone know Bill Howard's cell? rolleyes

Date: March 11, 2006 01:44PM

Halftime. Still 5-1.

Date: March 11, 2006 01:44PM

Video back up for the end of the half... "statistical domination for Cornell in the first half"

Date: March 11, 2006 01:50PM

Cornell outshooting them 27-4 and picking up 19 of 29 groundballs.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 02:02PM

Now 7-1

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 02:06PM

8-1. Apparently, Army's Walker isn't playing.

Date: March 11, 2006 02:16PM

9-1 seconds into the 4th

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 02:37PM

13-1 final.

Date: March 11, 2006 02:44PM

Not too much to say, The guys who didn't get a chance to play much previous years have really stepped up and quick. Was only half paying attention for the end of the game, but the faceoff X seems to be our only weakness at the moment.

I'm sure Hillel and company will have much more intelligent comments, but I'm very impressed to far this year. Keep it up, Red!

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 03:09PM

Army isn't a pushover either, right?

Must have been a great game to be at. How often do 1 goal games or shutouts happen in NCAA Lax?

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 03:13PM

RichH
8-1. Apparently, Army's Walker isn't playing.

Walker played the first quarter and left the game limping. He was on the sidelines throughout and was noticeably limping after the game.

Face-offs ended 10-7 in favor of CU. Tommy Schmicker is improving with experience. I believe he took all the face offs but the last which was the first appearance of freshman Pat Kirwan who has been out injured.

Shots were, I think, 47 to 11. Did not hear groundballs.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2006 03:16PM

I just got back to the game and don't have a lot of time for comments (need to get ready for tonight) but I'll say a few words. We absolutely dominated the game. As Delta said I think the faceoff X was our one weakness in the game. Otherwise, we absolutely outplayed Army in every facet. I thought Mitchell and Pittard looked great on attack. I don't think either are as dynamic and talented as Greenghal(sp) but they get the job done. Seibald REALLY impressed me. I know he was touted as Boulukos Jr. but he seems a step quicker and not quite as physically imposing as Joe. He scored a couple of nice goals and made two great plays to break up transition scoring opportunities for Army. McMonagale was there when he need him; I think he had about 2 saves he had no business making. Boulukos took a ton of shots --all off the mark, I think he only got a couple on net. Army didn't really show up (plus they were w/out Walker) whereas we were definitely on our game. This lax team is looking very promising considering all the seniors we lost.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 03:28PM

Scores of note

Hofstra 11, Hopkins 6

Notre Dame 9, North Carolina 7

MD 9, Towson (who lost to Binghamton last week) 6

Posted by: billhoward (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2006 03:44PM

There was only one post season shutout and Cornell has that.

Army wasn't that bad. If the Friday hockey game wasn't as close as the score, this wasn't as unbelievably one-sided as the score seemed. Just one-sided. Cornell D was awesome. They flattened Army attackers who tried for extra step before the shot. McMonagle seemed to will shots to bounce off him. Attack exploited Army weaknesses. Bouloukos took lots of shots; today's game was more ranging fire for later in the season.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 07:20PM

peterg
Is that a very good sign for us, a really bad sign for NC or both? (Or neither?)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:08PM

ugarte
peterg
Is that a very good sign for us, a really bad sign for NC or both? (Or neither?)
Navy simply buried UNC last weekend, so I wouldn't read too much into ND's win.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 04:06PM

peterg
Scores of note

Hofstra 11, Hopkins 6

MD 9, Towson (who lost to Binghamton last week) 6

What happened to hopkins this year?

UVa 7- PU 6 (Sunday)
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.9.233.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 04:11PM

Virginia just won a close game at Princeton.

Of note, the game was played at the football stadium not the lax stadium and Princeton installed field turf there over the winter.

I've always associated H,Y, and P with old football programs and grass football fields. No more I suppose...

Re: UVa 7- PU 6 (Sunday)
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:03AM

Chris '03
Of note, the game was played at the football stadium not the lax stadium and Princeton installed field turf there over the winter.

I've always associated H,Y, and P with old football programs and grass football fields. No more I suppose...

Does anyone who's dealt with FieldTurf want to weigh in on its similarity to natural grass. I wonder if old-timers like me need to re-think our disdainful image of artificial turf as Astroturf (or Tartan Turf) carpets.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:57PM

jtwcornell91
Chris '03

Does anyone who's dealt with FieldTurf want to weigh in on its similarity to natural grass. I wonder if old-timers like me need to re-think our disdainful image of artificial turf as Astroturf (or Tartan Turf) carpets.
The new artificial turf is markedly softer than the old AstroTurf or PolyTurf (Cornell's first rug). It's much closer to grass, it burns less, it causes less stress on knees and ankles. What I don't know if less stress is the same as no stress compared to grass.

Artificial turf fields started as a high-end status symbol. Now it may be grass is the status symbol, and turf fields (note how the "artificial" prefix got dropped) make the most sense for high-wear situations, land-locked areas (college campuses), or stadiums that must be used multiple times a week, used further into the colder/muddier months, not just for five home football games and two major spring lax tournament games. Wouldn't be surprised to see more turf fields at Cornell to take the place of the diminishing alumni fields.

Princeton going to artifcial turf for son-of-Palmer Stadium was intriguing because the 4,000-seat (?) Class of 1952 stadium seemed adequate for most every lacrosse match and certainly for every soccer match. Maybe Princeton lacrosse wanted to be able to play the 2-3 biggest games in son-of-Palmer but didn't wanted to have to acclimate themselves, so now they're playing all lax games there?

It also means Princeton can be a good town/gown neighbor and host HS events there, if it wants to, although Rutgers already does, I believe. That's supposed to be one reason Cornell never thought about moving the West Stands to the edge of the field -- by keepng the running track, they can host regional track events. Although I see there were no lane markings there Saturday, so has Cornell given up on track events there?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:56PM

billhoward
It also means Princeton can be a good town/gown neighbor and host HS events there, if it wants to, although Rutgers already does, I believe. That's supposed to be one reason Cornell never thought about moving the West Stands to the edge of the field -- by keepng the running track, they can host regional track events. Although I see there were no lane markings there Saturday, so has Cornell given up on track events there?
Head up to the far end of alumni field. Sometime around '97 or '98, Cornell built a real track and field complex.

Kyle

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:34PM

krose
billhoward
Head up to the far end of alumni field. Sometime around '97 or '98, Cornell built a real track and field complex.
Kyle
I've seen the track and the soccer pitch inside it. But does that host any regional HS events? It's not a marquee facility. I thought Schoellkopf was still a track facility for big events. Or was it until recently (like last year) but no longer? Is the oval around the Schoellkopf field usable at all for running? Because if not, then next time they redo the field, they should just move it so it's right up against the Crescent. (Don't know what happens to the West Stands, but it's not as if Schoellkopf is full for sports.)

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 08:28AM

billhoward
I've seen the track and the soccer pitch inside it. But does that host any regional HS events? It's not a marquee facility. I thought Schoellkopf was still a track facility for big events. Or was it until recently (like last year) but no longer? Is the oval around the Schoellkopf field usable at all for running? Because if not, then next time they redo the field, they should just move it so it's right up against the Crescent. (Don't know what happens to the West Stands, but it's not as if Schoellkopf is full for sports.)

Bill, I know Barton hosts a lot of regional (indoor) track events. I also know Schoellkopf doesn't quite have a standard-sized track, so while you CAN run around it, it's not a place where you'd want to go to time yourself.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:14AM

jtwcornell91
Chris '03

I work for an architectural firm that specs Field Turf often. It is quite an investment, but reps tell us that there is a projected market of 40-50 new fields annually for at least the next 20 years. I believe there are 2 large suppliers, one of them is A-turf out of Buffalo, and the other I can't quite recall. Cost is $4-$8 / sf, meaning for a typical 80000 foot field, you are looking at a good six figure investment. But, maintenaince is virtually zero.

As far a quality goes, if you watched how it goes in, you would understand what makes it superior immediately. The stuff has a good 8-9 inches of depth to it, with 'blades' of plastic attached at the bottom. They then fill about 4 inches of little plastic pellets that are designed to look and act like soil. These are quite soft, and are free to move around, so you don't get rug burn. It really does feel like grass falling on it, except the pellets stick in your clothes, hair, etc.

Anyway, hope this helps. I finally got to use the phrase 'rugburn' on elynah, fufulling my goal.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:35AM

Liz '05
billhoward
Bill, I know Barton hosts a lot of regional (indoor) track events. I also know Schoellkopf doesn't quite have a standard-sized track, so while you CAN run around it, it's not a place where you'd want to go to time yourself.
Barton at one point hosted the indoor Heps every year unti Dartmouth and some others cried foul. The Schoellkopf track is four laps to the mile, or 440 yards around. Is the new track 400 meters instead? That might be what makes Schoellkopf non-standard going forward.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:40PM

Army isn't a good barometer, especially with Walker hobbled/out, but what's not to like about Cornell?

The offensive middies are scary good. There's still a production drop-off from the first line to the second, but Clayton/Espey/Romero could explode any minute. On the first line, Casey Lewis has been transformed -- like someone flipped his "on" switch. Boulukos is a beast, but he's still scattershot (as Rob noted) and he still runs into doubles too much. Seibald's shooting is all over the place too, but he's born to score. Someone on laxpower wrote that his shot has unorthodox mechanics. It's true -- it's sorta 3/4, which isn't great, but he knows how to use his speed/moves/size to create good shots anyway. He might break Redd's freshman scoring record (31 pts).

I can't remember the last time all three Cornell close defenders had good wheels and good sticks. Much more assertive in loose ball situations and clears; much more aggressive with the body and the stick. Mike Pisco has improved a ton since he was an underclassman. I really like this group, and I feel guilty about saying they'd be a weakness due to lack of depth. We'll see how they hold up against Duke on grass.

Peter already mentioned Schmicker seeming to find himself at the X. Good. He has funky mechanics too, mostly because as a tall guy he doesn't have the classic FOGO bodytype (they usually have their center of gravity about, oh, a foot underground).

I agree with Rob that Pittard is an anchor out there.

I'll say it again:

Cornell.

Is.

Back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 03:41PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 06:49PM

billhoward
Barton at one point hosted the indoor Heps every year unti Dartmouth and some others cried foul. The Schoellkopf track is four laps to the mile, or 440 yards around. Is the new track 400 meters instead? That might be what makes Schoellkopf non-standard going forward.

The new track is indeed 400 meters.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:52PM

Maryland, winners over Duke last week, lost to Bucknell, 7-6, in 2OT tonight. Wild and crazy year so far. Let's hope no upset tomorrow at Schoellkopf.

Posted by: billhoward (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 01:37AM

Hillel Hoffmann
I'll say it again:

Cornell.

Is.

Back.

Do you, too, harbor the silent hope that Cornell hockey and lacrosse might one day before we die pull off a double title?

Might have happened in 1970 if there was an NCAA lax playoff that year, but it didn't start until 1971, and Cornell promptly won the title.

I was even a little juiced to think that in 2003 it could have been a Syracuse / Cornell double in winter sports. That's Upstate Native chauvinism speaking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login