Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Ohio State NIT game - Preview

Posted by Ken711 
Cornell vs Ohio State NIT game - Preview
Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 05:29PM

Tonight’s game marks the ninth all-time meeting with Cornell, but the teams haven’t met since Jan. 24, 1969 when the Buckeyes beat the Big Red 96-78 in Cleveland. Ohio State is 34-18 all-time against the Ivy League. The last time the Buckeyes squared off with a team from the conference was back in the 2007-08 season, when they beat Columbia 68-54 in Columbus as part of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

Cornell enters tonight’s game with a 22-7 record on the season, losing their last game 69-57 to Yale in an Ivy League Tournament Semifinal. The Big Red have an offense that can’t be overlooked, as they rank in the top-20 in the country in scoring, three-pointers made, assists and field goal percentage.

This marks the first time Cornell has participated in the NIT. Their lone appearance in a postseason tournament that wasn’t the NCAA Tournament came at the end of the 2018-19 season when they played in the CIT.

Tonight’s game marks the ninth all-time meeting with Cornell, but the teams haven’t met since Jan. 24, 1969 when the Buckeyes beat the Big Red 96-78 in Cleveland. Ohio State is 34-18 all-time against the Ivy League. The last time the Buckeyes squared off with a team from the conference was back in the 2007-08 season, when they beat Columbia 68-54 in Columbus as part of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

Cornell enters tonight’s game with a 22-7 record on the season, losing their last game 69-57 to Yale in an Ivy League Tournament Semifinal. The Big Red have an offense that can’t be overlooked, as they rank in the top-20 in the country in scoring, three-pointers made, assists and field goal percentage.

This marks the first time Cornell has participated in the NIT. Their lone appearance in a postseason tournament that wasn’t the NCAA Tournament came at the end of the 2018-19 season when they played in the CIT.

[www.landgrantholyland.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 05:30PM by Ken711.

Re: Cornell vs Ohio State NIT game - Preview
Posted by: mike1960 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2024 07:49PM

We are playing pretty well in spite of being outsized out there.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 07:50PM

Any word on why Chris Manon isn't playing?

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2024 07:53PM

dbilmes

He’s on the bench on crutches.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 07:56PM

dbilmes

Before tip they just described it as a foot injury suffered during the Yale game

Date: March 19, 2024 08:09PM

That's our game. Good ball movement, back door cuts.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 08:16PM

Had to stop watching as the early 10 point lead was being whittled down. The early lead was despite getting absolutely destroyed on the boards. We were hitting our shots with nothing but bricks coming from the Buckeyes. By the time I got back to it at halftime, we were down. Now, in the second half, Ohio State is playing with much more purpose on the defensive end and the shots are falling. Not great! We're down 51-44 with 16:50 left. Backdoor cut is our best play right now because without the misdirection they aren't giving us any space to shoot.

I hadn't spotted Manon on the bench and thought he may have pulled himself from the game to protect himself for the portal as a grad transfer. Not happy that he's hurt but I suppose I'm glad that he didn't do that.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:20PM

Keep pushing the ball!!

Date: March 19, 2024 08:23PM

Great string of possessions and Cornell is back up, 57-56 with a little under 14 to go. Backdoor still driving OSU nuts.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:24PM

I'm not sure why The Ohio State isn't throwing in the post every single time.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:34PM

YES!!! Isaiah Gray thunder jam.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 08:36PM by mike1960.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:37PM

Isaiah Gray is playing for the portal. Hammers down a dunk, running the floor, banging against bigger guys. Looks great. 66-64 Cornell with 8 left.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:44PM

Couple of missed shots and OSU is up 5... but Feigen drops a 3. 71-69, OSU - 5:15 remaining.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:46PM

We're fouling a lot. I wonder if we're getting tired.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:49PM

mike1960
We're outsized. Mostly smart fouls imo.

75-74, OSU with ~3:30 left and Cornell will have the ball coming out of a timeout Earl called to resettle the offense.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:51PM

ugarte
mike1960
We're outsized. Mostly smart fouls imo.

75-74, OSU with ~3:30 left and Cornell will have the ball coming out of a timeout Earl called to resettle the offense.

Reach in fouls.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2024 08:52PM

Such a soft call

Date: March 19, 2024 08:53PM

Officiating has not been kind, but we are showing alot of fight

Date: March 19, 2024 08:54PM

semsox

Ya can't get in another player's face in college. They'll call that every time.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:57PM

mike1960
semsox

Like the guy said, he may have been warned after the dunk.

79-76, Cornell ball with 2:08 to play. OSU making it near-impossible to get a 3 off by playing tight on the perimeter.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:57PM

mike1960
semsox

Somehow I doubt the same play made by OSU is resulting in that same call. My comment also wasn't meant to be limited to that play, as OSU has rightfully been playing us very physical given their size/athleticism advantage all game, and we've been getting ticky-tacky stuff called,

Date: March 19, 2024 08:59PM

Huge 3 from Nazr, great defensive possession, driving layup by Gray. Cornell 81-79 with 57.5 left. This is a great game.

Date: March 19, 2024 08:59PM

Another great play by Gray to the hoop on a tough shot off the glass.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:00PM

He called a timeout!

Date: March 19, 2024 09:02PM

Goddamn refs

Date: March 19, 2024 09:03PM

semsox
mike1960
semsox

Somehow I doubt the same play made by OSU is resulting in that same call. My comment also wasn't meant to be limited to that play, as OSU has rightfully been playing us very physical given their size/athleticism advantage all game, and we've been getting ticky-tacky stuff called,

Speculation is not evidence.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:04PM

I wonder how bad we were out rebounded tonight.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 09:08PM by mike1960.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:04PM

Seems like we are incapable of beating power teams, just seems like a mental block honestly.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:06PM

chimpfood
Seems like we are incapable of beating power teams, just seems like a mental block honestly.

I think we played a great game without Manon and being outsized by a lot. We've got a good program going now.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:06PM

mike1960
He called a timeout!
I thought we should have gotten the TO too. Nazir lost the handle on a drive and tried to get the ball back and the ref called a jump ball with possession going the wrong way.

Clutch 3 from Ohio State to go up one, the Nazir Williams turnover, then a long inbounds pass for an easy bucket to go up three. Off a timeout, Isaiah Gray had a clean lane for a dunk but he switched to a layup and missed it with ~15 seconds left. Cornell had to foul but now down 5 with 15 seconds left. Cornell inbounds, inexplicable dribbling, Williams layup. Ohio State long inbounds with 3.7 seconds... foul... Ohio State makes the first and this is over. They hit the second.

Hell of a game but no dice. Cornell falls 88-83.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:09PM

we did not lose this game because of the refs. they didn't even call an unbalanced game. we get a lot of fouls called on us because we play very handsy defense. it was true against columbia and it's even more true against ohio state when we're at a real physical disadvantage. despite that disadvantage we were in it to the final minute. down one when williams dribbled the ball off his own leg and we got the only really poor call against us with the jump ball instead of a timeout.

hell of a season from the most fun team to watch since 2010 by a large margin.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 09:16PM

fouls hurt us a few times because OSU was allowed to climb over us all night.. Cornell commits too many sloppy fouls though.

The key calls were the TECH.. At that point of the game you cant call that unless he gets right into the kids face and screams at him.

The Time out call where the whole team is screaming. The ref looking at the ball needs to look for help sense he is looking at possession and the other refs need to have a talk and decide if he had possession for a second before the tie up.. Thats just bad reffing to not even have the discussion.

I mean the over and back call was pretty bad and yeah we got it back.

The other coach coming out on the floor to complain is a T, but that didnt get called.

The poor 3 pt shooting hurt us once again as they were all pretty wide open 3s in the 2nd half.

OSU is just too big. you give up 1/3 less Off rebounds and you win.

Big play was when we took the lead and the kid who never plays took a bad deep 3 and it went in for OSU. But then we still came back.

Date: March 19, 2024 09:23PM

ugarte
hell of a season from the most fun team to watch since 2010 by a large margin.

Hear hear!

Date: March 19, 2024 09:30PM

I feel like we definitely can pin a chunk of blame on the refs, calls late in the game are much more influential than early ones so it doesn’t matter much if they were impartial early on. Obviously it’s not the only reason we lost but all things considered I thought we played well enough to earn these guys another game, especially considering we didn’t have Manon. This season came to a really disappointing end which hurts bad as it might be a while before the program reaches these heights again over a full season. Next year the goal should be make the Ivy tournament and go from there, and 2026 we should have a great chance of making NCAAs as we host Ivy madness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login