Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA NIL/Subdivision Proposal

Posted by BearLover 
NCAA NIL/Subdivision Proposal
Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-231.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2023 03:55PM

I’m surprised no one has posted about this yet:

[apnews.com]

If something like this comes to pass, I can’t envision Cornell being nationally competitive in sports like hockey/lacrosse/wrestling any longer. Cornell would end up in a lower division with more stringent rules around transfers, spending, etc., plus we’d be recruiting and competing against programs paying salaries to their athletes.

The caveat being that this is only an early proposal which may undergo many changes.

Clearly the proposal seems to be aimed at big time college football and, to a lesser extent, basketball. But none of the reports I’ve read about this proposal mention the effects that the proposal would have on other sports. There would be no more Ivies, or Minnesota-Duluth-type schools, competing for national championships in the less lucrative college sports like hockey.

I’d much rather see football break away from the rest of college sports and do its own thing, rather than the NCAA sacrificing the other sports to solve issues that really only exist in football (and basketball, to a lesser extent).

Curious if others here have different takes on this proposal.

Re: NCAA NIL/Subdivision Proposal
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 04:31PM

The idea is interesting but it also begs the question is what do they do with title ix..

Can they pay fball guys 5 million and not pay the girls Xcross country anything?

It will eliminate sports of all kinds though.. Where are all these schools going to come up with 5-10-20 million do pay these guys and thats only for the major sports?

They will have to reorganize and unionize to make the playing field fare or else it will be 20 teams by the end and all these schools that spent big bucks will have wasted money on 60k arenas where no one goes to watch a game.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2023 04:33PM

read it less like a proposal and more like a threat. it's a way of strangling NIL by making it far more disruptive than the market would make it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2023 04:53PM

If NIL money flows directly from companies/sponsors to athletes, how is Title IX involved?

If the schools try to get their grubby mits on the NIL money, then maybe there'd be university involvement. Why would athletes want to do that? Are individual athletes driven by the common good or more money for me?

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-231.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2023 05:07PM

billhoward
If NIL money flows directly from companies/sponsors to athletes, how is Title IX involved?

If the schools try to get their grubby mits on the NIL money, then maybe there'd be university involvement. Why would athletes want to do that? Are individual athletes driven by the common good or more money for me?
The proposal is about schools paying NIL directly to the athletes. The proposal is also about schools putting money into a fund to pay the athletes. The proposal is not about NIL from companies/sponsors.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-206-225.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2023 05:47PM

Sounds like a discussion where many of us could be in violent agreement as well as disagreement.

Why would Olivia Rodrigo, sorry, Olivia Dunne, want to share her big NIL payout to the LSU gymnasts who are less skilled that her? As well as the LSU gymnasts who are more skilled as gymnasts, less skilled with social media presence?

Football and basketball may have their super-big-time world. Okay, thanks, see ya, Alabama. But will big time schools also be the only ones to win NCAA top-division titles in soccer, hockey, lacrosse?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2023 09:18PM

Weirdly, there is other reporting that the subdivision is just for football (unlike what the above article stated), but to qualify, a school needs to to contribute $30K per every other athlete at the school, which would be subject to Title IX, i.e. it wouldn’t go entirely to football players?

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 07, 2023 11:34PM

Oliva Dunne does not share her NIL money with her teammates, however she has done this: [www.foxbusiness.com]

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: March 13, 2024 10:11AM

A look at NIL and the Ivies from the Washington Post, using Harvard basketball player Malik Mack as the example of a player whose future in the league is uncertain.
Gift link: [wapo.st]

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2024 12:28PM

Weder
A look at NIL and the Ivies from the Washington Post, using Harvard basketball player Malik Mack as the example of a player whose future in the league is uncertain.
Gift link: [wapo.st]

I don’t know about Malik, but if someone offered me $25k at the end of my freshman year (present value $259k) to transfer to, say Stoney Brook, I’d have said goodbye to Ithaca. Of course, I would have had no way of knowing that Ned would begin to transform Cornell hockey to what it is today.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 13, 2024 12:46PM

Would he get 250K is the question?

What number is worth the move in non guaranteed money?

50K 100K 200k 500k

Posted by: Swampy (43.225.189.---)
Date: March 13, 2024 01:25PM

upprdeck
Would he get 250K is the question?

What number is worth the move in non guaranteed money?

50K 100K 200k 500k

Depends on what he intends to do with his Harvard degree. If he intends to play pro basketball or take over his uncle's chain of car dealerships, he should probably switch. If he intends to go to law school, maybe stay. If he intends to be a poet or a high-school teacher, definitely switch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login