Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cricket World Cup on ESPN+

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Cricket World Cup on ESPN+
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2023 10:39AM

[I forget whether non-Cornell sport go here or in JSID, but I seem to recall there was an NFL thread here once.]

For those of us who have ESPN+ for Cornell hockey, they're showing all the matches of the (50 over) Cricket World Cup from India. Most of the games are day/night matches with a starting time of 4:30am EDT, so there's quite a lot of play to see in the breakfast/morning time.

Hosts India are off to a great start with three convincing wins, including dominant performances against Australia and Pakistan. Defending champions England are in trouble against Afghanistan in their third match at the moment, having already lost to New Zealand in their opener before defeating Bangladesh.

With the news that (20-over) cricket will be an Olympic event in Los Angeles 2028, this is a chance to get some familiarity with the game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Cricket World Cup on ESPN+
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2023 10:20PM

with the time Cricket takes to play.. How do they even get it done in the 2 weeks of the olympics.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 15, 2023 11:30PM

upprdeck
with the time Cricket takes to play.. How do they even get it done in the 2 weeks of the olympics.

As he said, it's "20-over" cricket. An over is 6 balls thrown, so 20 overs is 120 balls bowled per side. Think of it as a baseball game with only 120 pitches thrown to each team.

The version that takes forever is test cricket. That one goes until 9 batters per side are out, no matter how many pitches it takes. And usually, they go through each side twice before declaring a winner.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2023 12:36AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

As he said, it's "20-over" cricket. An over is 6 balls thrown, so 20 overs is 120 balls bowled per side. Think of it as a baseball game with only 120 pitches thrown to each team.

The version that takes forever is test cricket. That one goes until 9 batters per side are out, no matter how many pitches it takes. And usually, they go through each side twice before declaring a winner.

Once, on a visit to a British university, I joined in a game of cricket. The thing I remember most is mid-game we took a break for tea. The chocolate cake was delicious. What a civilized sport!

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: October 16, 2023 11:59AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Is 150 minutes really a game length?

That approaches tolerable.

Date: October 17, 2023 06:24PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Is 150 minutes really a game length?

That approaches tolerable.

The last few years, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB with a silent W, apparently) has been running something called "The Hundred" where each side faces 100 deliveries (just for fun, they're not divided into overs, although effectively the overs are 10 balls each with an optional change of bowlers midway). Part of the idea was to shorten the game further by making each innings 20 balls shorter, but mostly it seems to be different for the sake of being different.

Test cricket really is the most beautiful form of the game, but five days of 6+ hours of play is really a big commitment. It's more like following a pennant race than a single game. For someone who watches test and 50-over cricket, watching Twenty20 feels like eating junk food (sort of like a homerun derby where you're trying to get a big hit on every ball). And The Hundred is actually sponsored by a junk food company.

Date: October 17, 2023 06:27PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Or not, as the case may be. Part of appreciating test cricket is realizing that a draw can be an exciting result. (Nitpick: it's actually 10 batters that have to get out. Each side has 11, and there have to be two batting at any time, so when 10 have been retired, the innings is finished.)

Date: October 17, 2023 07:52PM

jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Or not, as the case may be. Part of appreciating test cricket is realizing that a draw can be an exciting result. (Nitpick: it's actually 10 batters that have to get out. Each side has 11, and there have to be two batting at any time, so when 10 have been retired, the innings is finished.)

My bad. I thought is was 9 of 10 retired.

Oh and to add, if you've ever seen the Caribbean 20-overs tournament, you'd think again about test cricket. I'd love to attend one of those matches.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2023 09:26PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

My bad. I thought is was 9 of 10 retired.

Oh and to add, if you've ever seen the Caribbean 20-overs tournament, you'd think again about test cricket. I'd love to attend one of those matches.

And we all love 3 on 3 hockey. Maybe we could get a junk food company as sponsors for overtime.

Date: October 18, 2023 10:53AM

I gotta say, during the COVID MLB season I realized that, even as a purist who hates every innovation since batting helmets, I could get used to 7-inning games.

3-PA minimum. Pitch clock. 100-games RS.

There is no problem in baseball that can't be solved by less baseball.

Date: October 18, 2023 02:58PM

Trotsky
I gotta say, during the COVID MLB season I realized that, even as a purist who hates every innovation since batting helmets, I could get used to 7-inning games.

I spent my formative teenage years going to amateur baseball games, so I got used to seven innings a long time ago.

Date: October 18, 2023 03:50PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

I spent my formative teenage years going to amateur baseball games, so I got used to seven innings a long time ago.

I watch the Little League World Series every summer. 7-inning games work fine for me. I'm also good with a 10-run rule.

Date: October 18, 2023 04:08PM

But let's eliminate the 3rd and 6th inning, just to make them confused.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login