Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men’s Basketball 23-24

Posted by George64 
Page: Previous123 4 567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Men’s Basketball 23-24
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:38PM

backdoor hansen to feigen was nice to get the lead back to 14

Posted by: mike1960 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:38PM

Yes, sir.

Posted by: Mr. Niss (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:39PM

Love Sean Hansen. Dunks and then ultra-cognizant of the situation is immediately in front of the inbounder with his hands up, no dancing or yelling, just defense.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 03:40PM by Mr. Niss.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:40PM

Mr. Niss
Love Sean Hansen. Dunks and then ultra-cognizant of the situation is immediately in front of the inbounder with his hands up, no dancing of yelling, just defense.

He's playing really good basketball.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:40PM

Thank you Princeton for that airball 3-point attempt from just inside midcourt and then Cornell's return dunk to keep the lead well above 10.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:42PM

Big man stop dribbling.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:42PM

Guy. What are you doing.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:43PM

What a great possession, mainly by Chris Manon. This may be the best game I've seen him play. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:44PM

Dagger.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:46PM

Feeling better now that it's +20 with 2:33 to play? We made some mistakes, but Princeton also tried those long 3-pointers.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:49PM

Who could have predicted this. Great win!!

Date: January 27, 2024 03:51PM

Interesting schedule coming up. We go on the road for three, including Harvard and then Yale. Then come home for four in a row and at Penn and then at Princeton. You can form your own opinions about the various permutations.

Date: January 27, 2024 03:54PM

The home win over Princeton was a fair possibility. But by 16 points, 83-67. Whoa!

Date: January 27, 2024 03:59PM

Cornell did a nice job of figuring out where they could be successful on offense, and they scored some points. Discipline kind of frayed with some questionable shots in the second half. On defense, there's a lot of reaching and sometimes little help on the ball. The full court press looked like it surprised them, and they didn't have a good answer right away. But all's well that ends well.

I have no comment about the officiating.

Date: January 27, 2024 04:02PM

great day. statement game. really hard to imagine missing the ILT and that's kind of what you want from a team that can't earn at at-large. also, ILT is in New York. sweeeeeeet.

Date: January 27, 2024 04:14PM

mike1960
Cornell did a nice job of figuring out where they could be successful on offense, and they scored some points. Discipline kind of frayed with some questionable shots in the second half. On defense, there's a lot of reaching and sometimes little help on the ball. The full court press looked like it surprised them, and they didn't have a good answer right away. But all's well that ends well.

I have no comment about the officiating.

The lead never got below 10. Sure, the second half wasn't ideal, and I was sharting my pants about the lead potentially being whittled away, but it didn't happen, as seems to happen in every other basketball game, college and pro. So, all in all, IMO they did great in the second half, even if there are a few things to try to clean up. This is the best win we've had in I don't know how long ... I'm sure there have been a couple since beating Temple and Wisconsin, but that's my reference point and I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 04:25PM

What a statement, great crowd and a great win. A comfortable win when getting railed by the refs all game against a team as good as Princeton is very impressive. Not to mention we didn’t have grey, one of our better players imo. We shut down lee aside from the fact that he himself had more free throws than our entire team.

Date: January 27, 2024 04:26PM

Mr. Niss

The lead never got below 10. Sure, the second half wasn't ideal, and I was sharting my pants about the lead potentially being whittled away, but it didn't happen, as seems to happen in every other basketball game, college and pro. So, all in all, IMO they did great in the second half, even if there are a few things to try to clean up. This is the best win we've had in I don't know how long ... I'm sure there have been a couple since beating Temple and Wisconsin, but that's my reference point and I'm sticking with it.

You are right! I should add they did a really good job on the boards. Love to see those box outs. Also Nazir Williams was 4/4 on three-point shots, and 8/11 on field goals. I say let him keep shooting threes until he misses!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 04:43PM

Kudos to Brian Earl and his staff for building this team with guys who were, by and large, unheralded recruits with few if any other D1 offers. And how about walk-on AK Okereke who scored 12 points today? He fills an important roll on the team and is getting better each game.

While an Ivy League title is a long way off, it will be nice to see Cornell listed in this week’s Joe Lunardi braketology (although we and Yale are both 4-0 in the league, I’m pretty sure our better overall record will give us he nod).

Meanwhile, the Penn faithful are calling for Donahue’s scalp after the Quakers lost at Columbia to fall to 1-3 in the league. I thought he’d thrive back at Penn, but so far he hasn’t recaptured the magic of his remarkable stretch at Cornell. And he may be running out of time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 04:46PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 06:18PM

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-197-192.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:04PM

Wasn't it our old friend, Big Red Fan (Of the late, lamented Cornell Basketball Blog) who said Zach Spiker, the current Drexel coach, was partially responsible while serving as an Assistant to Donahue.

Posted by: tycho (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 09:59PM

Wow. Really should've set a reminder and a block of time for this one. A 30-5 run is remarkable. I'm going to have to go back and watch in full. Will next have a chance to avenge men's hockey in Hanover Friday night.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:05PM

scoop85
Kudos to Brian Earl and his staff for building this team with guys who were, by and large, unheralded recruits with few if any other D1 offers. And how about walk-on AK Okereke who scored 12 points today? He fills an important roll on the team and is getting better each game.

While an Ivy League title is a long way off, it will be nice to see Cornell listed in this week’s Joe Lunardi braketology (although we and Yale are both 4-0 in the league, I’m pretty sure our better overall record will give us he nod).

Meanwhile, the Penn faithful are calling for Donahue’s scalp after the Quakers lost at Columbia to fall to 1-3 in the league. I thought he’d thrive back at Penn, but so far he hasn’t recaptured the magic of his remarkable stretch at Cornell. And he may be running out of time.
Maybe Donahue's looking for a return gig at Cornell. If Brian Earl continues to be overly successful with a team of unheralded recruits, somebody's going to wave $750K-plus in his face. Maybe he bides his time for a return job at Princeton but as HC. He was patient, a decade as assistant coach for the Tigers.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:54PM

billhoward
scoop85

Maybe Donahue's looking for a return gig at Cornell. If Brian Earl continues to be overly successful with a team of unheralded recruits, somebody's going to wave $750K-plus in his face. Maybe he bides his time for a return job at Princeton but as HC. He was patient, a decade as assistant coach for the Tigers.
I don't think Princeton is dissatisfied in the least with who they have - and he's a Tiger alum too. If Earl's getting taken from us he's getting liftoff from the Ivies. I hope he sticks around, though.

Date: January 28, 2024 10:14AM

- we moved up only 9 in Ken Pom with the win but Princeton fell like 15 spots -- we should have swapped spots*

- I legitimately felt Brian Earl should have been considered for coach of the year votes for the season coming out of Covid, when we were picked to be second-to-last in the Ivies and he implemented this run-and-gun style and had us in the Ivy tournament. He's a great coach and I am surprised no big program has given him a look yet. We are lucky to have had him as long as we have.

- I did not know that AK Okereke was a walk-on. I didn't know that walk-on was even still a thing except for a kid to sit at the end of the bench, get a few minutes in the last game of the year, score and have the place go nuts. Wow.

- Naz did not look right to start the season. I've thought he was (or would be) the best player on the team since he was a freshman. After the game, Brian was interviewed and mentioned a host of health issues with which Naz has had to deal since last year. I was not aware of the extent. He finally seems healthy, and it shows.

- Jacob Beccles has been impressive and might be our future.

- I cannot believe Chris Manon didn't have an opportunity at a more prominent program. I can't recall us ever having a player with his athletic ability.

- I hope some of the seniors who still have a Covid year of eligibility play a fifth year somewhere notable.

(* I'm joking, but was hoping to be better than 101)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 10:16AM by Mr. Niss.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 11:23AM

Mr. Niss
I did not know that AK Okereke was a walk-on. I didn't know that walk-on was even still a thing except for a kid to sit at the end of the bench, get a few minutes in the last game of the year, score and have the place go nuts. Wow.

As I recall, back in the Donahue era, Louis Dale was a walk-on. Whittman was under-recruited because of an injury his senior year and Jeff Foote transferred from St. Bonaventure where he had been a walk-on. They got Cornell to the Sweet-sixteen and Donahue to BC, where he flopped.

That said, I hope Nicki Moore offers Earl a substantial contract extension.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 28, 2024 11:54AM

well since Cornell has no scholies arent they all really walkons in some way?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 12:05PM

upprdeck
well since Cornell has no scholies arent they all really walkons in some way?
Think the difference is that Dale recruited himself by sending a video to Cornell. Foote's mother recruited him for Cornell. So Donahue, in a way, was presented with two of his big three studs on a platter.

Date: January 28, 2024 12:40PM

Mr. Niss
- we moved up only 9 in Ken Pom with the win but Princeton fell like 15 spots -- we should have swapped spots*

- I legitimately felt Brian Earl should have been considered for coach of the year votes for the season coming out of Covid, when we were picked to be second-to-last in the Ivies and he implemented this run-and-gun style and had us in the Ivy tournament. He's a great coach and I am surprised no big program has given him a look yet. We are lucky to have had him as long as we have.

- I did not know that AK Okereke was a walk-on. I didn't know that walk-on was even still a thing except for a kid to sit at the end of the bench, get a few minutes in the last game of the year, score and have the place go nuts. Wow.

- Naz did not look right to start the season. I've thought he was (or would be) the best player on the team since he was a freshman. After the game, Brian was interviewed and mentioned a host of health issues with which Naz has had to deal since last year. I was not aware of the extent. He finally seems healthy, and it shows.

- Jacob Beccles has been impressive and might be our future.

- I cannot believe Chris Manon didn't have an opportunity at a more prominent program. I can't recall us ever having a player with his athletic ability.

- I hope some of the seniors who still have a Covid year of eligibility play a fifth year somewhere notable.

(* I'm joking, but was hoping to be better than 101)

Article from Okereke’s HS days. COVID seems to have put a damper on his recruiting. But he sure can play.

Date: January 28, 2024 01:12PM

I’m surprised he wasn’t recruited just for being 6 foot 7 and 235 pounds of muscle.

Date: January 28, 2024 01:29PM

chimpfood
I’m surprised he wasn’t recruited just for being 6 foot 7 and 235 pounds of muscle.

Yeah, so many quality players are missed by college coaching staffs. Look at a guy like Ja Morant (putting aside his personal issues), whose dynamic talent was overlooked by all the power schools.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 02:00PM

George64
Mr. Niss
I did not know that AK Okereke was a walk-on. I didn't know that walk-on was even still a thing except for a kid to sit at the end of the bench, get a few minutes in the last game of the year, score and have the place go nuts. Wow.

As I recall, back in the Donahue era, Louis Dale was a walk-on. Whittman was under-recruited because of an injury his senior year and Jeff Foote transferred from St. Bonaventure where he had been a walk-on. They got Cornell to the Sweet-sixteen and Donahue to BC, where he flopped.

That said, I hope Nicki Moore offers Earl a substantial contract extension.

I hope the Cornell AD does as well.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 02:20PM

Mr. Niss

Shonn Miller comes to mind, but that's about it. Love the way he plays

Date: January 28, 2024 03:01PM

George64

As I recall, back in the Donahue era, Louis Dale was a walk-on...
Dale wasn't a walk-on; he was an under-recruited gift who marketed himself to Donohue as a dynamic but 5'9 guard with an Ivy academic profile. I also don't think Foote was a walk-on for the Bonnies, he just wasn't getting much playing time and was apparently miserable.

Date: January 28, 2024 03:30PM

Mr. Niss
I cannot believe Chris Manon didn't have an opportunity at a more prominent program. I can't recall us ever having a player with his athletic ability.

Not only is he a terrific player, but he seems to thoroughly enjoys himself. His enthusiasm is infectious, sort of the Jack O’Leary of the hardwood.

Date: January 28, 2024 03:31PM

ugarte
George64

Dale wasn't a walk-on; he was an under-recruited gift who marketed himself to Donohue as a dynamic but 5'9 guard with an Ivy academic profile. I also don't think Foote was a walk-on for the Bonnies, he just wasn't getting much playing time and was apparently miserable.

What you say about Dale is correct, but Foote was in fact a walk on for the Bonnies.

Posted by: CAS (104.28.58.---)
Date: January 28, 2024 03:36PM

Nice that AK was also his HS valedictorian.

Date: January 28, 2024 04:34PM

scoop85
ugarte
George64

What you say about Dale is correct, but Foote was in fact a walk on for the Bonnies.
wow. can't believe i missed that at the time. thx.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 29, 2024 03:59PM

We got two coaches poll votes! We should really appreciate how far the program has come with Brian earl, but hopefully this is just the beginning.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: January 29, 2024 04:51PM

From Zach Spiker and James Jones no doubt.

Date: January 29, 2024 05:14PM

arugula
From Zach Spiker and James Jones no doubt.

I'm going with Scott Drew because Baylor is corrupt and they'll do anything to make their program look better.

And thank you all for the other responses. Totally forgot about Shonn Miller. And Bill Courtney, who apparently is an assistant at Miami. Who knew. The years have become a blur. I remember watching games in Barton 40 years ago better than I remember what I saw last season, let alone 10 seasons ago. By the way, last week the Brown guys mentioned Brown winning the Ivy in '86, which is a season that always stayed with me. If I remember correctly, it was quite a battle down the stretch with us and another team (Penn?).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2024 05:24PM by Mr. Niss.

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-197-195.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2024 05:44PM

Let's not forget that Dave Bliss, a Cornell grad, got Baylor in a ton of trouble when he was head coach. Drew had to clean up his mess when he was appointed head coach. Not sure if the documentary they did on Bliss a number of years ago they did on Showtime Sports is still available.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: February 02, 2024 07:28PM

Cornell opened game against Dartmouth on a 19-0 run over the first 10 minutes of the game. Hopefully, they can keep Dartmouth from crawling back into the game.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-244-146.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2024 07:44PM

dbilmes
Cornell opened game against Dartmouth on a 19-0 run over the first 10 minutes of the game. Hopefully, they can keep Dartmouth from crawling back into the game.
27-21 at the half. moderately annoying!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2024 07:49PM

Bah-sketball.

Date: February 02, 2024 08:10PM

From 19-0 to 34-35.worry

Offense has become stsgnant.

Date: February 02, 2024 08:16PM

Al DeFlorio
From 19-0 to 34-35.worry

Offense has become stsgnant.

Not going to like this loss after that start.

Date: February 02, 2024 08:46PM

Me watching that first Ragland 3 with ~2 min left: No no no no no no YES!
Me watching that second Ragland 3 with ~2 min left: No no no no no no NO

Date: February 02, 2024 08:52PM

Cornell escapes with a 56-53 win.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-244-146.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2024 08:56PM

Ken711
Cornell escapes with a 56-53 win.
really clean defense on the last Dartmouth possession to force a terrible, awkward three at the buzzer.

Date: February 02, 2024 09:43PM

Only watched the end because of a hockey game but we can’t keep letting bad teams hang with us. Nevertheless, I definitely won’t complain much about a 5-0 start in the Ivy League.

Date: February 02, 2024 09:45PM

After a hot start, I thought it was well in hand! Glad we got it done.

Date: February 02, 2024 10:36PM

Bigger news is that Princeton went on the road and lost to Yale as well.

So next weeks Yale game becomes even bigger, now that they both have a 2 game lead over Princeton

Date: February 02, 2024 11:41PM

upprdeck
Bigger news is that Princeton went on the road and lost to Yale as well.

So next weeks Yale game becomes even bigger, now that they both have a 2 game lead over Princeton

The way things seem to be going, getting the #1 seed will be huge for whoever, as that team won't have to play one of Princeton-Yale-us in the first game.

Date: February 03, 2024 09:23AM

We were lucky to win after shooting 6-for-31 on 3-pointers. Kudos to Cornell, though,, for pulling out a win on a night when it played poorly. As the ex-Dartmouth coach who was doing the ESPN-plus commentary kept saying toward the end of the game, Cornell knows how to pull out close games, as evidenced by its record. If we play like this against Yale next week, though, we'll get blown out. Yale's 7-foot center keeps getting better and better. I watched a few minutes of Yale-Princeton game and it was a raucous atmosphere at Payne Whitney with a packed house making lots of noise. That's going to be a tough environment for any road team.

Date: February 03, 2024 10:32AM

I thought from the posts that we had lost.

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-197-193.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2024 10:55AM

Harvard won't be easy tonight as they have good big man in Agjibor along with Chisom Opara and the freshman guard Malik Mack. They lack quality depth which should help Cornell

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: February 03, 2024 10:58AM

Trotsky

True about a lot of game-chatter in the “Other Sports” forum. I swear given the grousing during lax season, I’m sometimes surprised when I find we won 16-7.

Date: February 03, 2024 12:08PM

RichH
Trotsky

True about a lot of game-chatter in the “Other Sports” forum. I swear given the grousing during lax season, I’m sometimes surprised when I find we won 16-7.
to be fair to this thread, the posts went from "it's 19-0 Cornell" to "It's 27-21 Cornell" to "we're losing somehow" to "whew! we escaped," so having the in-game posts imply that we might lose is an accurate representation of the game. 1 point was not the largest deficit of the game; Dartmouth was up 8 with 8:30 left.

Date: February 03, 2024 12:28PM

rss77
Harvard won't be easy tonight as they have good big man in Agjibor along with Chisom Opara and the freshman guard Malik Mack. They lack quality depth which should help Cornell

Going into the weekend, I was very concerned about the Harvard game. But what happened last night might have been the best thing that could have happened going into tonight's game.

Date: February 03, 2024 12:29PM

ugarte
RichH
Trotsky

to be fair to this thread, the posts went from "it's 19-0 Cornell" to "It's 27-21 Cornell" to "we're losing somehow" to "whew! we escaped," so having the in-game posts imply that we might lose is an accurate representation of the game. 1 point was not the largest deficit of the game; Dartmouth was up 8 with 8:30 left.

When you realize that Dartmouth outscored us something like 44-19 at one point ... I don't even know how to complete that thought.

Date: February 03, 2024 07:40PM

Man we are such a streaky team (which is quite an understatement, I know). But I love this team like I've never loved a woman.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2024 08:45PM by Mr. Niss.

Date: February 03, 2024 08:48PM

This is a really likable team. I'm still not sure if they have the "it" factor that I thought the Wittman/Dale/Foote teams had even early on in that run, but definitely the best Cornell team since 2010.

Date: February 03, 2024 08:52PM

Nice to see a good bounce-back from the near-debacle at Dartmouth. Hopefully, we can give Yale a good game next Saturday.

Date: February 03, 2024 09:07PM

Nice road win by the Big Red. The first away weekend road sweep since 2019. Yale beat Penn 74-58, with their 7' center leading the way with 24 points. He's going to be force in the Ivy League as he's only a sophomore.

Date: February 03, 2024 09:13PM

Cornell's first win at Harvard since 2019. The last time Cornell was 6-0 in Ivy League was 2010. Also, Cornell's 10 road wins are tied for most in the NCAA.

Date: February 03, 2024 09:54PM

Great win, can’t wait for the Yale game next week. 6-0 vs 6-0. Hoping to get some votes in the AP poll this week.

Date: February 03, 2024 11:58PM

chimpfood
Great win, can’t wait for the Yale game next week. 6-0 vs 6-0. Hoping to get some votes in the AP poll this week.
can't tell if i can go yet but... tempting

Date: February 04, 2024 05:26AM

ugarte
RichH
Trotsky

Wanna say I was not being critical of the posts -- they were good information. I was saying I literally someone how missed that we had won, until I saw the "escaped" post and I exhaled.

I don't think people were grousing (I am on Mets reddit; I know grousing). I think people watching just registered shock at the turnaround.

Date: February 04, 2024 02:34PM

I don't understand Ken Pom, in particular how Yale is ranked so much ahead of us at 15-6 while we're 17-3. They've beaten nobody but Princeton. The have a couple of terrible losses. Their games against top teams aren't any better than ours.

Date: February 04, 2024 04:41PM

and we lead the ncaa in road wins dont we?

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.218.---)
Date: February 04, 2024 04:56PM

Mr. Niss
I don't understand Ken Pom, in particular how Yale is ranked so much ahead of us at 15-6 while we're 17-3. They've beaten nobody but Princeton. The have a couple of terrible losses. Their games against top teams aren't any better than ours.

Basketball version of Quint Kessenich?

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2024 05:09PM

Is there a world where Cornell continues winning but stumbles in say the Ivy League title game and gets an at large to the dance? I don’t know enough about college hoops but have always heard the Ivy League is, and always will be, a one bid league.

Date: February 04, 2024 05:35PM

CU2007
Is there a world where Cornell continues winning but stumbles in say the Ivy League title game and gets an at large to the dance? I don’t know enough about college hoops but have always heard the Ivy League is, and always will be, a one bid league.

Perhaps if we go 14-0 in the regular season and lose in the final. But even that may be a stretch, since we won’t have any quad 1 wins.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2024 10:32PM

Mr. Niss
might be margin of victory; i think it measures by possession not just ultimate result.

Posted by: mountainred (64.203.142.---)
Date: February 05, 2024 10:22AM

ugarte
Mr. Niss
might be margin of victory; i think it measures by possession not just ultimate result.

It's a lot of factors and, yes, KenPom is based on per possession numbers. Keep in mind, Yale started ahead of Cornell by 60 spots, so Cornell has closed the gap. Lately, Yale's 8 game win streak hasn't had any particularly close finals, while Cornell has had two one possession wins in its 7 game win streak. Cornell's schedule hasn't held up as well as anticipated, so while Yale has some bad losses, they have some better out of conference wins (LM, Santa Clara). And Ken's model still gives the side eye to Cornell's defense.

Personally, I think KenPom is great, but worrying about ranking discrepancies of 20-30 places will drive you crazy. Twenty data points (games) just isn't enough to expect precision.

Date: February 05, 2024 10:59AM

mountainred
ugarte
Mr. Niss

It's a lot of factors and, yes, KenPom is based on per possession numbers. Keep in mind, Yale started ahead of Cornell by 60 spots, so Cornell has closed the gap. Lately, Yale's 8 game win streak hasn't had any particularly close finals, while Cornell has had two one possession wins in its 7 game win streak. Cornell's schedule hasn't held up as well as anticipated, so while Yale has some bad losses, they have some better out of conference wins (LM, Santa Clara). And Ken's model still gives the side eye to Cornell's defense.

Personally, I think KenPom is great, but worrying about ranking discrepancies of 20-30 places will drive you crazy. Twenty data points (games) just isn't enough to expect precision.

Just win.

Date: February 05, 2024 12:34PM

mike1960
mountainred
ugarte
Mr. Niss

Just win.

Well, yeah. If you want to dream, CBS has Cornell as a #13 seed playing Clemson.

Date: February 05, 2024 01:14PM

Assuming the Ivy autobid?

Posted by: Mr. Niss (208.215.20.---)
Date: February 05, 2024 01:15PM

CU2007

Funny you mention this -- before the Cornell-Princeton game, there was talk somewhere (I think it might have been on ESPN) about *Princeton* being an at large team in this exact scenario, running the Ivy table and then losing in the championship game. But they have a much better out-of-conference resume.

Posted by: Mr. Niss (208.215.20.---)
Date: February 05, 2024 01:16PM

mountainred
mike1960
mountainred
ugarte
Mr. Niss

Just win.

Well, yeah. If you want to dream, CBS has Cornell as a #13 seed playing Clemson.

I just saw Lunardi has us as a 14 (aq) vs Iowa State. I think 14 is fair for us should we be the team that emerges, and I say that as someone who (with Jay Bilas) is not over us getting a 12 in 2010. His rant about how we should have gotten the 5 seed in that group allows me to die in peace.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2024 01:17PM by Mr. Niss.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-208.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2024 01:23PM

Mr. Niss
mountainred
mike1960
mountainred
ugarte
Mr. Niss

Just win.

I just saw Lunardi has us as a 14 (aq) vs Iowa State. I think 14 is fair for us should we be the team that emerges, and I say that as someone who (with Jay Bilas) is not over us getting a 12 in 2010. His rant about how we should have gotten the 5 seed in that group allows me to die in peace.
We were a 13 last week as AQ before almost bottling the Dartmouth game.While 13 is sometimes an at-large, we were still behind Boise St., 12-seed/last team in.

Date: February 05, 2024 01:42PM

If they win out and lose the last Game there is a slight chance of an At large bid.

Date: February 05, 2024 02:03PM

upprdeck
If they win out and lose the last Game there is a slight chance of an At large bid.
very slight. our SOS going forward isn't great since our best opponents (2-3 games v Yale, 1-2 games v Princeton including at least one loss) are fringe at-large candidates as well. Syracuse being ranked on par with Yale and GMU being roughly on par with us are our two best non-Ivy opponents and they are both losses. I assume we have to win the ILT but also assume we are very good NIT candidates if we finish second.

Date: February 05, 2024 02:28PM

upprdeck

Talking about winning out with 8 games left?

Date: February 05, 2024 02:34PM

mike1960
upprdeck

Talking about winning out with 8 games left?
well, if we don't win out until the ILT final, there is zero chance.

Date: February 05, 2024 02:39PM

If they win out. they may be ranked be default and that buys some good will regardless of SOS and NET and stuff

Posted by: CAS (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: February 05, 2024 03:15PM

Playoffs? Cornell beat Brown &
Dartmouth on the road by a combined 4 points. Let’s see what happens at Yale.

Date: February 05, 2024 03:41PM

CAS
Playoffs? Cornell beat Brown &
Dartmouth on the road by a combined 4 points. Let’s see what happens at Yale.

When you give a team 38Fts it gets hard to win vs Brown
Then vs Dart we shoot 31 3's and make 6.

Both things we need to avoid as often as we can.

Date: February 05, 2024 03:57PM

No votes in the polls this week. I certainly don’t think that we’re a top 25 team in the country but it’s a bit confusing to lose our coaches poll votes after winning two on the road this week.

Date: February 05, 2024 04:15PM

chimpfood
No votes in the polls this week. I certainly don’t think that we’re a top 25 team in the country but it’s a bit confusing to lose our coaches poll votes after winning two on the road this week.
one of them was a white-knuckler against Dartmouth. makes sense to me, if the voter was someone actually paying attention to us.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 06, 2024 03:42AM

ugarte
chimpfood
one of them was a white-knuckler against Dartmouth. makes sense to me, if the voter was someone actually paying attention to us.

Maybe it was an “atta boy” courtesy vote and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-197-193.myvzw.com)
Date: February 06, 2024 09:39AM

Cornell ranked 9th in College Insider mid-major rankings. Princeton 5th and Yale at 17

Date: February 06, 2024 09:59AM

CU2007

Maybe it was an “atta boy” courtesy vote and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield - "We Don't Get No Respect!"

Date: February 06, 2024 12:31PM

ugarte
upprdeck
very slight. our SOS going forward isn't great since our best opponents (2-3 games v Yale, 1-2 games v Princeton including at least one loss) are fringe at-large candidates as well. Syracuse being ranked on par with Yale and GMU being roughly on par with us are our two best non-Ivy opponents and they are both losses. I assume we have to win the ILT but also assume we are very good NIT candidates if we finish second.

It is probably safe to think "win the ILT or bust." Our best out of conference wins are Colgate and Monmouth or Fordham; I just don't see that getting us in over a power conference team. Along those lines, the NCAA "tweaked" the NIT this offseason. Conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament no longer get an automatic bid to the NIT. Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams from each of the big six conferences (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC) a bid. So, there are just 20 open slots for an Ivy, and, yes, the power six conferences can send even more to the NIT. Wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA just uses their new all-purpose metric, the NET ranking, where Cornell sits 80th as I type this.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2024 12:44PM

If hypothetically Cornell did run the table until it lost the Ivy final, we would be 26-4. In my eyes, that would certainly make us deserving of the NCAA tournament. When your record is that good, the fact you don’t have any wins over top teams shouldn’t be disqualifying. Winning 87% of your games is extremely difficult. In that scenario we would also be nationally ranked. I think we’d get an at-large bid. This is obviously all hypothetical and is very unlikely to occur.

Date: February 06, 2024 04:31PM

FYI, the ILT is at Columbia and buying all-session tickets is a pain in the ass online. The online system doesn't filter out tickets that are no longer available for all sessions, so you keep getting "sorry, try again" messages. I ultimately wrote to their box office and ordered by phone. (lionstickets@columbia.edu)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2024 04:40PM by ugarte.

Date: February 07, 2024 08:29AM

How do they choose the ILT location? Does it rotate?

Date: February 07, 2024 08:36AM

Yeah it rotates. Cornell is scheduled to host next year but I’m also seeing that this year was supposed to be at brown so it seems like there could be a change.

Posted by: nyc94 (32.215.192.---)
Date: February 07, 2024 08:36AM

Trotsky
How do they choose the ILT location? Does it rotate?

Yes but they have already deviated from the preannounced schedule. This year was supposed to be Brown but will be at Columbia. Cornell is supposed to host in 2025.

“The future of the rotation remains under continuous evaluation.”
[ivyhoopsonline.com]

Page: Previous123 4 567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login