Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men’s Basketball 23-24

Posted by George64 
Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Men’s Basketball 23-24
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2023 09:18AM

Men’s schedule is out. Interestingly, they play Syracuse at the JMA Wireless Dome on December 5. When did it stop being the Carrier Dome? Incidentally, Carrier Corp. was founded by Willis Carrier ‘01.

Re: Men’s Basketball 23-24
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2023 12:25PM

In 1979, Carrier cut a deal with Syracuse, $2.75 million for naming rights in perpetuity. Idiots. Syracuse U has been trying to get out of that ever since. Carrier's Syracuse footprint has been declining and in 2020, the company moved to Palm Beach Gardens. In 2022, Syracuse cut a deal with JMA Wireless for naming rights, 10 years, undisclosed amount. JMA what? It's a wireless networking hardware company, aka John Mezzalingua Associates. It is not a wireless carrier like a Cricket. To clarify (per Wikipedia), "JMA Wireless operates on a software-based XRAN [radio access network] architecture, which integrates processes into a single common server and removes the need for radios and jumpers in Distributed antenna system (DAS) deployment."

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2023 12:25PM

In 1979, Carrier cut a deal with Syracuse, $2.75 million for naming rights in perpetuity. Idiots. Syracuse U has been trying to get out of that ever since. Carrier's Syracuse footprint has been declining and in 2020, the company moved to Palm Beach Gardens. In 2022, Syracuse cut a deal with JMA Wireless for naming rights, 10 years, undisclosed amount. JMA what? It's a wireless networking hardware company, aka John Mezzalingua Associates. It is not a wireless carrier like a Cricket. To clarify (per Wikipedia), "JMA Wireless operates on a software-based XRAN [radio access network] architecture, which integrates processes into a single common server and removes the need for radios and jumpers in Distributed antenna system (DAS) deployment."

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: September 14, 2023 01:52PM

George64
Men’s schedule is out. Interestingly, they play Syracuse at the JMA Wireless Dome on December 5. When did it stop being the Carrier Dome? Incidentally, Carrier Corp. was founded by Willis Carrier ‘01.

1901. My subconscious understanding went first to the more recent ‘01.

Good irony is that the dome only got air conditioning installed the same year Carrier was removed from the name (2022).

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: September 14, 2023 03:05PM

good news is the wireless is gonna be in place by the time cornell gets there in Dec. Wish we had wireless/cell working in lynah one day.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2023 09:18PM

Counted 11 home games and 2 against D 3 teams in Wells and Morrisville. I see that Coach Earl brought in some height and maybe the interior defense will be a little stronger than in past years, Greg Dolan was a "glue guy" on the past couple of editions and we will see who steps up this coming season. Princeton, Yale, and Brown will all be very formidable this coming season.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: October 24, 2023 07:36PM

Cornell is picked third in preseason poll, behind overwhelming favorite Yale and Princeton.

Posted by: mountainred (64.203.142.---)
Date: November 06, 2023 03:22PM

Season Opener tonight at Lehigh. Last year v. the formerly Engineers was maybe the best game the guys played all season.

The pregame notes list Gray, Manon and Noard as starters -- all expected -- but then list Sophomores Nix and Noard as joining them. Does anyone know if Nazir Williams is hurt?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 03:30PM

mountainred
Season Opener tonight at Lehigh. Last year v. the formerly Engineers was maybe the best game the guys played all season.

The pregame notes list Gray, Manon and Noard as starters -- all expected -- but then list Sophomores Nix and Noard as joining them. Does anyone know if Nazir Williams is hurt?
Quite a handicap if Noard has to play two positions.;-)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2023 04:06PM

Al DeFlorio
mountainred

Quite a handicap if Noard has to play two positions.;-)

Putting aside Noard's double billing, I assume if he's not started Williams is injured.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2023 07:38PM

Naz just came in as a sub, no need to worry.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2023 07:52PM

chimpfood
Naz just came in as a sub, no need to worry.

My other thought was Earl would bring him in as an early 6th man for a jump start off the bench. That may well be the case.

Date: November 06, 2023 07:59PM

Season’s only 12 minutes old and I’m already exasperated by Ragland.

Posted by: Mr. Niss (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 08:00PM

scoop85
Season’s only 12 minutes old and I’m already exasperated by Ragland.

That makes two of us!

Date: November 06, 2023 08:08PM

As soon as Manon got foul happy, the defense has not been as good and they've gone down. He has to stay out of trouble this year.

And like last year, their press is weak and gets beat repeatedly.

And once again, we can't shoot free throws.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2023 08:13PM by Mr. Niss.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 08:21PM

Down 5 at the break because Lehigh is shooting at a hoop the size of the Pacific Ocean.

Date: November 06, 2023 08:28PM

ugarte
Down 5 at the break because Lehigh is shooting at a hoop the size of the Pacific Ocean.

Overall, I'd say we've done more to shoot ourselves in the feet than Lehigh has done to be leading this game.

Date: November 06, 2023 08:44PM

The Cornell press is a joke. I wish Brian would stop.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 08:56PM

Let’s not overreact, earl has done a lot for this program and the press is a very important part of this teams identify which is wearing down the other team with a fast paced game. I agree that it has lost its effectiveness later into this game but give it time, it’s a long season.

Date: November 06, 2023 09:02PM

The ease with which other teams break this press is not new. I was at the Yale game at home last year, for example, as just one example (we went from down 13 to winning by 12 going away when we stopped pressing). I understand why they do it. I watched a game or two last year. But when trailing and at risk of a game getting away, against a team that they should be much better than, I'd rather he not press.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2023 09:03PM by Mr. Niss.

Date: November 06, 2023 09:34PM

Nice win considering the team got no minutes from tsang-Hinton, Baldwin, and watson, who I thought would all be important pieces this year. Anybody know what’s up with those guys, whether it was injuries or just healthy scratches? Big props to Noard and okereke for stepping up. Looking forward to the rest of this season!

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 09:34PM

Cornell with some good free throw shooting to secure the win down the stretch 84-78.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 09:46PM

Really helped that Lehigh shot 1-12 from behind the arc in the second half. Nice to steal a win when Williams was not at his best.

Noard only started in one spot, but carried the offense in the first half, so it was kinda like two. Hansen just missed his career high and was clutch in the second half.

But who had AK Okereke playing 25 minutes? Okereke was essentially a walk on, played a whopping six minutes last season, but looked solid.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2023 09:47PM by mountainred.

Date: November 06, 2023 09:49PM

chimpfood
Nice win considering the team got no minutes from tsang-Hinton, Baldwin, and watson, who I thought would all be important pieces this year. Anybody know what’s up with those guys, whether it was injuries or just healthy scratches?

We should find out Wednesday when I would expect everyone who is healthy to log minutes.

Date: November 06, 2023 10:03PM

mountainred
Really helped that Lehigh shot 1-12 from behind the arc in the second half.
I didn't get to watch but it sure seems like some genius upthread figured out why we were losing!

Date: November 07, 2023 12:00PM

What in the world happened to Boothby's 3 point shot? He slipped last year considerably and was 0-3 last night.

Proposal for the future, if the hoops fans are going to be active, that we have "weekend" threads rather than have a basketball thread that stretches forever. Nightmare on mobile.

Good chance I'll be at Rose Hill on Saturday afternoon to watch us play Fordham.

Date: November 07, 2023 12:24PM

ugarte
What in the world happened to Boothby's 3 point shot? He slipped last year considerably and was 0-3 last night.

Proposal for the future, if the hoops fans are going to be active, that we have "weekend" threads rather than have a basketball thread that stretches forever. Nightmare on mobile.

Good chance I'll be at Rose Hill on Saturday afternoon to watch us play Fordham.
Dinner at Dominick's on Arthur Avenue

Date: November 08, 2023 09:54AM

ugarte

Boothby's shooting as a freshman was unsustainable; 49.5% from behind the arc was insane. And he found his stroke in league play last year, 22-46 (don't do the math on his out of conference shooting last year, it's not pretty).

Not going to start a thread over a D3 game, but maybe next weekend? I saw the commentators for the broadcast are new names. Did Barry retire/get replaced?

Date: November 08, 2023 10:53AM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte

Dinner at Dominick's on Arthur Avenue
Something like that. Definitely going to get fresh mozz somewhere. Is anyone else going?

Date: November 08, 2023 05:34PM

mountainred
ugarte

Boothby's shooting as a freshman was unsustainable; 49.5% from behind the arc was insane. And he found his stroke in league play last year, 22-46 (don't do the math on his out of conference shooting last year, it's not pretty).

Not going to start a thread over a D3 game, but maybe next weekend? I saw the commentators for the broadcast are new names. Did Barry retire/get replaced?

Wasn't the discussion about the Lehigh game going 0-3? we didn't play the D-3 game yet.

Date: November 08, 2023 05:54PM

upprdeck
mountainred
ugarte

Wasn't the discussion about the Lehigh game going 0-3? we didn't play the D-3 game yet.
separate points. he was talking about Boothby and then referring to my earlier suggestion of "weekend threads," proposing that we keep the D-III game discussion here instead of giving it its own thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 05:54PM by ugarte.

Date: November 08, 2023 08:49PM

ugarte
upprdeck
mountainred
ugarte

separate points. he was talking about Boothby and then referring to my earlier suggestion of "weekend threads," proposing that we keep the D-III game discussion here instead of giving it its own thread.

Yeah, it made sense to me when I typed it.

No one was hurt while the Cornell won comfortably 107-86. Some random thoughts:

* The defense and ball security were troubling. Surrendering a point a possession and losing the turnover battle to an okay D3 school is a problem.
* The only changes to the first ten guys were that Williams sat out, he's said to be day-to-day, and a bunch of minutes for Fr. Jacob Beccles -- who looked pretty good.
* Max Watson sighting with 6-ish minutes left. Very late for a rotation guy from last year.
* New announcers were nothing great. Very young. I guess Al Michaels started somewhere, but it felt that we were providing training for a recent Newhouse grad.

Date: November 08, 2023 09:08PM

Looks like Baldwin may have torn his acl. He has the standard acl knee brace and crutches, that definitely hurts.

Date: November 08, 2023 09:37PM

chimpfood
Looks like Baldwin may have torn his acl. He has the standard acl knee brace and crutches, that definitely hurts.
Jeff Goodman tweeted the other day he was out for the season for a knee injury: so an ACL tear would make sense.

Date: November 08, 2023 10:49PM

Understand that Barry may be out this season

Date: November 09, 2023 08:16AM

rss77
Understand that Barry may be out this season

Thanks. I hope everything is okay with him.

Date: November 09, 2023 11:28AM

mountainred
* New announcers were nothing great. Very young. I guess Al Michaels started somewhere, but it felt that we were providing training for a recent Newhouse grad.
i thought the same. they could follow the action well but the emotion felt forced and overstated. idk. maybe i'm being harsh. gotta let them grow on me.

Date: November 09, 2023 12:37PM

mountainred
Some random thoughts:

* The defense and ball security were troubling. Surrendering a point a possession and losing the turnover battle to an okay D3 school is a problem.
* The only changes to the first ten guys were that Williams sat out, he's said to be day-to-day, and a bunch of minutes for Fr. Jacob Beccles -- who looked pretty good.
* Max Watson sighting with 6-ish minutes left. Very late for a rotation guy from last year.
with respect to the other thoughts, i'm not concerned with the rotation in the D-III game. let's see what it's like on Saturday.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2023 11:14AM

$25 single-game tickets for Fordham basketball seems...high?

Date: November 10, 2023 11:22AM

That seems to the price for tickets to their games in that gym.

Compared to games at Newman its high but not like going to the Dome or any big time bball games.

Posted by: Weder (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 10, 2023 01:33PM

Was considering going to the game at George Mason next week and you can get in for $10

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2023 04:28PM

Yeah, out of curiosity I looked around at other A10 teams. Most seemed to be $10-15. Columbia is $12 or $13. And it doesn't appear to be a supply/demand issue - their gym holds 3K and attendance last year (per their own boxscores) was anywhere from 500 to 1800 for games I looked at. Oh well, it is what it is - just seemed out of whack to what I would've expected the pricing to be.

Date: November 11, 2023 12:48PM

ugarte
mountainred
Some random thoughts:

with respect to the other thoughts, i'm not concerned with the rotation in the D-III game. let's see what it's like on Saturday.

Sure, today will be more telling, but you have to think Earl likes Beccles since he was running with the regulars starting with the first "line change." I guess we'll see if his PT and Max's were D3 game wonkiness or a sign of how valuable they will be this year.

(I guess we aren't doing a new chain?)

Date: November 11, 2023 01:44PM

Defense is doing great today. Maybe we shouldn’t be saying scrap the press after one game?

Date: November 11, 2023 01:59PM

chimpfood
Defense is doing great today. Maybe we shouldn’t be saying scrap the press after one game?

I don't want to jinx anything, but that was about as good a half of basketball as we can hope to see from our guys. 45-24 good guys.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (150.108.112.---)
Date: November 11, 2023 02:00PM

Yeah Fordham has no answer for it so far. Even half-court ball pressure seems to be flustering them. Gray has been great on D.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-244-147.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2023 02:05PM

pretty good view from the front row (non-VIP) across from our bench and they look great after a shaky first couple of minutes. once they settled in Fordham couldn't do anything at either end.

Rose Hill is worth every penny for a ticket.

Date: November 11, 2023 02:25PM

Fordham’s going to be shooting free throws for 15 minutes.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-244-147.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2023 02:36PM

Jordan 04
Fordham’s going to be shooting free throws for 15 minutes.
and for all the tight calls they've been getting they've taken 5 points of the lead in 8+ minutes

Date: November 11, 2023 02:46PM

Wow the refs are slowing this one down

Date: November 11, 2023 02:47PM

A lot of play-ons from the first half being called as fouls this half. Both ways.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 03:00PM

Refs taking over in the 2nd half. Impressive run from them

Date: November 11, 2023 03:02PM

This is extremely disappointing.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:02PM

Someone needs to explain Guy Ragland to me.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:14PM

When they practice the press, is the other side not practicing how to break it? They’ve looked lost the entire half.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 03:15PM by Jordan 04.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:19PM

Even if they hold on, having a 27-point lead and then little but fouls, turnovers, giving up offensive rebounds, and missed free throws is really really ... bad.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 03:19PM by Mr. Niss.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2023 03:24PM

PHEW,

Date: November 11, 2023 03:24PM

Whew.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:25PM

Great win overall, fordham is a good team. Gotta work on free throws and closing out games but I’ll take that result any day.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:27PM

Now that we can breathe more easily and my nerves have relented ... extremely proud of this team and this coaching staff to beat a solid A-10 team in their gym. I wish they'd learn to play with a lead better, as that was a problem at times last year as well. But you can't ignore opening up a 27-point lead and hanging on after a good team threw everything it could at you.

Part of the problem is that Chris Manon cannot stay out of foul trouble. I know the coaching staff has tried to work on this issue with him. He's their best defender and they need him on the floor late in games like this one.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 03:30PM by Mr. Niss.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:30PM

chimpfood
Great win overall, fordham is a good team. Gotta work on free throws and closing out games but I’ll take that result any day.

Absolutely. Don't forget, the Rams were favored. Even though the Big Red had a 27 point lead at one point (if you watched the broadcast, you may not have known that, I'm not sure it ever came up.)

Also have to work on handling pressure and boxing out. Fordham had 9 offensive rebounds in the second half, felt like more, and forced 12 turnovers in the half.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:35PM

The Almanac had Fordham #8 and George Mason #12 in their pre-season rankings. Cornell will be much better than the two teams Mason has played so far. 2-0 on this swing is not nuts.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-244-145.myvzw.com)
Date: November 12, 2023 12:36AM

Manon has to stop getting cheap hand check fouls. It keeps him off the court and he's easily our most dangerous player.

Our point guards have to keep their heads up during the press. Multiple times Boothby leaked into the frontcourt unguarded but nobody was looking. tbh i don't think they really trust boothby much anymore. they certainly didn't try to get him the ball at all.

negatives aside, that first half was fantastic. naz looked good, noard fights for boards and hits his looks, okereke and nix made some nice plays and gray has real grit.

ragland, man. no touch under the rim and rebounds slip through his hands like he is eating buttered popcorn on the bench.

Re: Men’s Basketball 23-24 - no NCAAs at Syracuse
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-197-197.myvzw.com)
Date: November 12, 2023 04:07PM

Looks as if Syracuse won't be hosting future NCAA tournament basketball games on account of not enough hotel rooms. The on-campus Sheraton and its 235 rooms will be converted to dormitories. This per a brief local story, which says the Sheraton comprises 10% of the local hotel rooms. The Sheraton for tournaments past had been used as housing for out-of-town media. It appears to apply to possible future tournaments beyond 2024. The 2024 regional sites are already chosen and public. (The finals sites are chosen all the way out to 2030.)

It was super nice that the 2010 round of sixteen and Cornell's participation wound up in the then-Carrier Dome.

[www.localsyr.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 05:15PM by billhoward.

Re: Men’s Basketball 23-24 - no NCAAs at Syracuse
Date: November 12, 2023 08:23PM

There is a plan for another hotel but it will leave a hole for a few years until that gets done.

Date: November 13, 2023 09:18PM

Penn beats Villanova, stop sleeping on the Ivy League. Also, how in the world did Penn manage to get Villanova and Kentucky to come to their house this year? I would kill to just get Syracuse to come to Newman once.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: November 13, 2023 09:25PM

chimpfood
Penn beats Villanova, stop sleeping on the Ivy League. Also, how in the world did Penn manage to get Villanova and Kentucky to come to their house this year? I would kill to just get Syracuse to come to Newman once.
According to Wikipedia, the Palestra is "often called the Cathedral of College Basketball." I doubt anyone has ever used those words to describe Newman Arena.

Date: November 14, 2023 12:36AM

chimpfood
i think some coaches follow the Dean Smith model and give their seniors a homecoming game and i wouldn't be surprised if both teams had a philly kid. we have two seniors from brooklyn (Gray and Ervin) and two from commuter new jersey (Manon and Hansen) which would account for the Fordham game and two from Plano (Boothby and Williams) which maybe should have been SMU or Dallas Baptist but a two hour drive to Waco to see your kid get blown out by Baylor isn't the worst way to spend a day. We don't always do it though, so it might be a coincidence.

When I was an undergrad, Binghamton's own King Rice was at UNC and I don't think Binghamton was D-I at the time. Unfortuantely, the game was scheduled for winter break. I didn't remember this but after playing them at Newman in 1991, we played them in Chapel Hill the next two seasons.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: November 14, 2023 10:17AM

chimpfood

Penn-Villanova is a Big 5 game, so those get rotated around all the Philly schools’ home courts. (Though I think at one time all Big 5 games were played at the Palestra?)

Date: November 14, 2023 03:11PM

Weder
chimpfood

Penn-Villanova is a Big 5 game, so those get rotated around all the Philly schools’ home courts. (Though I think at one time all Big 5 games were played at the Palestra?)
I thought Villanova quit the Big 5

Posted by: Weder (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 14, 2023 03:17PM

ugarte
Weder
chimpfood

Nope, and they let Drexel in so now there are six teams in the Bjg 5.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: November 14, 2023 03:59PM

The Palestra is a remarkable place for basketball history. I would compare it to Matthews Arena.

Date: November 14, 2023 08:09PM

Trotsky
The Palestra is a remarkable place for basketball history. I would compare it to Matthews Arena.
They held the EIWA wrestling tournament there last year. Very cool. Different than Rose Hill at Fordham but they share genes.

Date: November 14, 2023 08:17PM

Trotsky

Went to Matthews Saturday night. The wall at the west end is being held up by a forest of girders propped against the outside of the wall. Fans not allowed to sit in the balcony sections against that wall. Not a good sign.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2023 02:05PM

Weder
ugarte
Weder
chimpfood

I think Villanova no longer commits to playing all four other teams in the Big 5, claiming it took up too many NC slots on the schedule

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: November 15, 2023 02:40PM

nshapiro
Weder
ugarte
Weder
chimpfood

I think Villanova no longer commits to playing all four other teams in the Big 5, claiming it took up too many NC slots on the schedule

I think that’s why they switched to a format this year with two three-team groups. Each team plays the other two teams in their group and then one crossover game.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: November 15, 2023 04:05PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

Went to Matthews Saturday night. The wall at the west end is being held up by a forest of girders propped against the outside of the wall. Fans not allowed to sit in the balcony sections against that wall. Not a good sign.

Well they need to refurb it, because other than Gutterson and Appleton it's the most (only) beautiful barn left in the US.

Date: November 15, 2023 05:09PM

Wait Barton is still in use..

Date: November 15, 2023 08:15PM

George Mason up 43-42 at halftime.

Date: November 15, 2023 08:19PM

I thought that was a good first half. Guy had a fantastic first half. I like that version of him better. Naz had a terrible half, which is not like him. I can't believe his second half won't be better. Mason's team looks substantially better than Fordham's to me. Our rebounding really improved as the half went on. And we didn't have many free throws so we couldn't miss many.

Date: November 15, 2023 08:33PM

The first minute of this half reminds me of Kentucky being down 10-2 and Calipari telling them "you gotta be kidding", and Cousins and Wall and the rest of them just out-athleted us. That's what it looks like Mason is trying to do. If we can fend it off they'll tire themselves out.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:01PM

Other than missing an obvious walk on Ragland, the officiating in this game has seemed decidedly one-sided. And not for the good guys.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:13PM

OK this is now ridiculous. An ordinary loose ball foul is a flagrant 1 at a critical juncture. Laughable.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:18PM

Cornell dropping threes and cut it to 1. I think they called a charge right before the commercial break but the announcers seemed to think that Manon fouled out on the play. We'll see!

Date: November 15, 2023 09:18PM

ugarte
Cornell dropping threes and cut it to 1. I think they called a charge right before the commercial break but the announcers seemed to think that Manon fouled out on the play. We'll see!
It was Manon's 5th. Ugh.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:21PM

Their big guy Kelly pushes the defender away on every move in the paint. Not a whistle.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:21PM

Terrible sequence. GM hits the free throws, Naz with a clumsy pass to a cutting Gray, GM scores an easy layup. Hanson throws a dunk off the back rim. Down 5, GM ball with 2:45 left.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:22PM

Mr. Niss
Their big guy Kelly pushes the defender away on every move in the paint. Not a whistle.
That's basketball. Come on, man.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:26PM

Damn. Cut it to 3, fouled out their big man, and they hit a dagger 3 with the shot clock expiring before swiping the ball on a backdoor cut. Down 8 with 1:26 left.

Date: November 15, 2023 09:36PM

ugarte
Damn. Cut it to 3, fouled out their big man, and they hit a dagger 3 with the shot clock expiring before swiping the ball on a backdoor cut. Down 8 with 1:26 left.
90-83 final. They were too tough in the paint and we were sloppy with the ball when we had to rush. Our perimeter game was good though.

Date: November 15, 2023 10:06PM

Kudos to Isaiah Gray. He is a one man clinic on defense. As in past years Cornell struggles to guard near the rim.

Date: November 15, 2023 10:07PM

The Ivy League is looking really good this year, Princeton and penn especially have some big wins. Not too concerned yet because all out of conference games are basically just ramping up to Ivy play but we are certainly going to have to play better than we did tonight if we want to win the Ivy or even make the Ivy League tournament

Date: November 15, 2023 10:35PM

chimpfood
The Ivy League is looking really good this year, Princeton and penn especially have some big wins. Not too concerned yet because all out of conference games are basically just ramping up to Ivy play but we are certainly going to have to play better than we did tonight if we want to win the Ivy or even make the Ivy League tournament
I think this is easily an ILT team tbh but things can go awry. It is a good year for the league, though.

Date: November 15, 2023 10:59PM

Harvard and Yale looking good too.

Date: November 16, 2023 08:49AM

The top 6 Ivy teams (excluding Dartmouth and Columbia) all look solid. Yale and Princeton are likely a cut above, so it appears likely to be a 4-team battle for the the other 2 spots in the Ivy tournament. But a lot of basketball left to be played.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2023 11:04AM

I wonder how much longer they'll keep running out Nix in the starting lineup. He's just not hitting any shots right now.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-197-192.myvzw.com)
Date: November 16, 2023 11:48AM

Re barns: Appleton Arena at St. Lawrence got a refurb in 2020. It's still dark wood seats (photo) for the olde barn feel. But now a spiffy facade, entry concourse, meeting rooms / video rooms on the outside of the concourse. They probably tuned up the bleeping siren to make it even louder. Just the right feel for a school of 2,100.

The new Colgate rink is the benchmark for small schools. I know we all love Lynah to a fault. But Colgate's huge, wide concourse at the top of the bowl allows an extra 500? more? attendees beyond the seating capacity of 2200. And the higher roof allows for better video angles than Lynah affords.

Appleton Arena fall 2023 (capacity 3200):

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: November 16, 2023 01:36PM

billhoward
And the higher roof allows for better video angles than Lynah affords

Low roof crowd noise > high roof video angles every day of the week.

Date: November 16, 2023 02:37PM

considering you could run all the video off remote cameras I dont think High angles are really an issue if you use the right equipment,

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: November 16, 2023 07:21PM

upprdeck
considering you could run all the video off remote cameras I dont think High angles are really an issue if you use the right equipment,

Nevermind that, can we talk about the assault on the senses every venue seems to want? Even the modest & thin video scoreboard I can see in the photo of Appleton is entirely too many blazingly bright photons to completely ruin the setting.

And don’t get me started on the apparent need to have thumping DJs blasting tweeter-tearing music in (nearly) every arena at every stoppage. If ADs want to trim budgets, start by firing the DJs.

At the Cornell-Penn football game, there was a large home band, a larger visiting band, and a half-broken speaker. Guess which of the three was allowed to play most of the time?

Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login