Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Soccer 2023

Posted by chimpfood 
Cornell Soccer 2023
Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2023 08:07PM

Cornell soccer takes a 1-0 loss to Vermont in the first game of the season. Cornell looked really good in the second half generating a lot of offensive chances but were shut down by the Vermont keeper. The only goal of the game was an unlucky deflection off of our defender but later in the game we had numerous dangerous tackles in our own box that easily could have been called. Definitely not the result you want to see but overall I would call it and encouraging performance. Next is New Hampshire on Monday, if we get a win there I would certainly be satisfied with this road trip, splitting against 2 ranked teams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2023 08:08PM by chimpfood.

Re: Cornell Soccer 2023
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2023 08:11PM

chimpfood
Cornell soccer takes a 1-0 loss to Vermont in the first game of the season. Cornell looked really good in the second half generating a lot of offensive chances but were shut down by the Vermont keeper. The only goal of the game was an unlucky deflection off of our defender but later in the game we had numerous dangerous tackles in our own box that easily could have been called. Definitely not the result you want to see but overall I would call it and encouraging performance. Next is New Hampshire on Monday, if we get a win there I would certainly be satisfied with this road trip, splitting against 2 ranked teams.

Good summary. Tough loss but Cornell outplayed a very good UVM team with two games under its belt. We have great depth at all positions and play an entertaining style of soccer. Much to look forward to.

Date: September 04, 2023 06:11PM

1-0 win at UNH. Todays game was about the opposite of Friday's, we didn’t play our best and got out worked most of the game but came out on top. The results and performance of these first two games bode well for the rest of the season. Let’s stay hot at canisius and UMBC and then stun Syracuse at home.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2023 12:54PM

No Knishes webcast.:-(

Posted by: scoop85 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2023 02:19PM

Al DeFlorio

Per live stats the Big Red leads 3-0 early 2nd half. As one would expect we’re dominating in all statistics.

Date: September 09, 2023 08:26PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Per live stats the Big Red leads 3-0 early 2nd half. As one would expect we’re dominating in all statistics.
4-0 at one point but looks like Canisius scored two against reserves and Smith put starters back in. Final 4-2.

Date: September 12, 2023 10:32PM

Cornell ranked number 25 In todays poll

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2023 07:49AM

chimpfood
Cornell ranked number 25 In todays poll
Vermont #12, UNH #21

Date: September 16, 2023 09:24PM

2-1 loss at UMBC. All goals on penalty kicks. Cornell outshoots 18-6 total and 8-4 on goal. Bizarre where both teams scored penalty kicks at 50:02.

Date: September 16, 2023 10:53PM

Al DeFlorio
2-1 loss at UMBC. All goals on penalty kicks. Cornell outshoots 18-6 total and 8-4 on goal. Bizarre where both teams scored penalty kicks at 50:02.
I wasn’t able to watch but saw that on the live stats and figured it was a mistake, what happened???

Date: September 16, 2023 11:24PM

chimpfood
Al DeFlorio
I wasn’t able to watch but saw that on the live stats and figured it was a mistake, what happened???

UMBC’s 2nd PK actually was a minute or two after Cornell tied it. We fell asleep a bit defensively right after our goal and it cost us the game. Just like UVM we controlled the action but have nothing to show for it.

Date: September 19, 2023 09:21PM

Cornell scores two in the 2nd half to take down #7 ranked and defending National Champion Syracuse 2-1. The win breaks SU’s 20 game unbeaten streak dating back to last October.

Date: September 19, 2023 10:54PM

I’m so pissed that I wasn’t able to watch this game in person or stream it but I’m elated to see a win there. Nice bounce back after falling to umbc and sets us up well going into Ivy League play.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: September 19, 2023 11:01PM

scoop85
Cornell scores two in the 2nd half to take down #7 ranked and defending National Champion Syracuse 2-1. The win breaks SU’s 20 game unbeaten streak dating back to last October.

Since their lax team were too scared to play us last year, we had to beat them in another sport.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2023 12:17AM

Bumped us up to 13 in RPI. A few tough Ivy matches (according to RPI) in Yale, Princeton and Penn all in the top 45. Columbia game is in NYC on 11/4. I may go, especially if the season is good enough for it to have Ivy title or NCAA at-large bid consequences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2023 12:18AM by ugarte.

Date: September 20, 2023 05:02AM

scoop85
Syracuse with one shot on goal. Shots Cornell 18-4. Strong showing.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2023 06:21AM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85

Per Mr. Natural, " Is dis a system?"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 20, 2023 06:31AM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85

Wow. 18 shots is impressive.

Date: September 20, 2023 10:21AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio
scoop85

if i read a postgame quote correctly, i think we hit the frame twice so this really could have been a blowout.

Date: September 20, 2023 11:51AM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio
scoop85

if i read a postgame quote correctly, i think we hit the frame twice so this really could have been a blowout.
The highlights video clearly shows one free kick hitting wood.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2023 04:55PM

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2023 05:12PM

Note the story following Cornell-Syracuse soccer in the Daily Orange's story stack:
College Republicans withdraw request to host Moms for Liberty as SU cancels event Maybe we could send over Ann Coulter.

... I miss the seventies, not so much for the whiff of tear gas lingering from 1969, but everybody had freshmen teams and the Sun in its headlines found room, in Cornell-Syracuse frosh stoies, to use 'Tangerines.' Something to amuse us until 1977 and disco madness.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2023 07:06PM

scoop85

...when their last loss was also to Cornell.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: September 21, 2023 11:37AM

As a former sports editor of The Cornell Sun, it pains me to say this, but the quality of this story is better than any sports story I've seen in the Sun in years. The Syracuse sportswriter actually went to an away game in person, had some good tactical details from the game, and had pertinent quotes both from the coach and one of the players. To make it even more impressive, the article was published at 11:48 p.m. Tuesday, the same night the game was played. Meanwhile, the Sun has yet to publish an article on the game. This is the most recent men's soccer story on its website: [cornellsun.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2023 11:46AM by dbilmes.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: September 21, 2023 12:31PM

dbilmes
As a former sports editor of The Cornell Sun, it pains me to say this, but the quality of this story is better than any sports story I've seen in the Sun in years. The Syracuse sportswriter actually went to an away game in person, had some good tactical details from the game, and had pertinent quotes both from the coach and one of the players. To make it even more impressive, the article was published at 11:48 p.m. Tuesday, the same night the game was played. Meanwhile, the Sun has yet to publish an article on the game. This is the most recent men's soccer story on its website: [cornellsun.com]

Having the Sports Media Center at the Newhouse School of Communications gives them a nice pool of interested and invested talent.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2023 01:19PM

True, but I agree with David. I covered several teams for the Sun in the early 80's, and today's Sun pales in comparison with the work we did.

Date: September 21, 2023 04:21PM

RichH
Having the Sports Media Center at the Newhouse School of Communications gives them a nice pool of interested and invested talent.
A college journalism program can help some people develop their talents. But, sheesh, at Cornell you ought to know how to write, to have an inquisitive nature and have suspicions that press releases don't tell the whole story.

If you have to go to J-School -- sorry, Communications, which can also mean PR -- Syracuse is stepping up in the world.

The Daily Orange soccer story was pretty well done.

Not every editor of every daily/near daily college newspaper really cares about sports. Sometimes it gets shunted aside. I have always argued that if some big city paper needs a "mood of the campus" story after a protest, strike, drug death, student sit-in, you tell the reporter to call the student paper and talk to the sports editor. He or she is better dialed in to what's on the minds of the students.

Bob Costas, the best sportscaster ever (so far), went to Newhouse School. So there is that.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2023 05:25PM

If you click on the "sports" tab on The Sun website, the drop down menu only includes the major sports. Apparently nothing else is important any more. I was on the board of directors of The Sun for 25 years and rarely had a complaint about coverage before the digital age, other than the times that the business manager prevailed and ran a grocery store ad on the back page. When it should be easier to have up-to-date coverage, especially of home games, reporting is worse. I mean really: I live in Denver and I could have written something for the website given the ESPN+ live stream.

Date: September 23, 2023 04:57PM

Tuned in and it's 1-1 at the half v. Harvard. Need to follow up the big W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2023 04:58PM by ugarte.

Date: September 23, 2023 06:01PM

1-1 draw at Harvard, kind of a wacky game with some rain and a lot of fouls. It was Avery back and forth match and both teams seemed to be playing at a similar level. I’m satisfied with the result so long as we beat brown next week at home as we should.

Date: September 23, 2023 06:07PM

chimpfood
1-1 draw at Harvard, kind of a wacky game with some rain and a lot of fouls. It was Avery back and forth match and both teams seemed to be playing at a similar level. I’m satisfied with the result so long as we beat brown next week at home as we should.
honestly thought we were far better. put one off the frame in the second half and had a few other good chances. they had a ton of corner kicks but didn't really come close to converting. disappointing result but the team looks solid.

Date: September 23, 2023 06:42PM

ugarte
chimpfood
honestly thought we were far better. put one off the frame in the second half and had a few other good chances. they had a ton of corner kicks but didn't really come close to converting. disappointing result but the team looks solid.
yeah I see what you’re saying, I just look at it more like “we’re lucky that they didn’t score on any of those corners” instead of “they wasted all of their corners and we still couldn’t get the win”

Date: September 23, 2023 06:48PM

chimpfood
ugarte
chimpfood
yeah I see what you’re saying, I just look at it more like “we’re lucky that they didn’t score on any of those corners” instead of “they wasted all of their corners and we still couldn’t get the win”
yeah for sure. i'll say that they had a lot of corners but not a lot of threats. a lot of taps off our defenders' shins on the touch line nowhere near the goals or corners that led directly to more corners because we were knocking them away. i'd take a rematch if there was an ILT!

Date: September 23, 2023 08:01PM

I was impressed with the Harvard announcers. They knew a lot about Cornell and were quite complimentary of the program.

Date: September 23, 2023 08:21PM

dbilmes
I was impressed with the Harvard announcers. They knew a lot about Cornell and were quite complimentary of the program.
Right

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2023 03:40AM

dbilmes

Don’t Strunk & White recommend utilizing variants of “use” instead of “utilize”? The latter being unnecessarily stuffy and bureaucratic.

Date: September 24, 2023 12:42PM

Swampy
Don’t Strunk & White recommend utilizing variants of “use” instead of “utilize”? The latter being unnecessarily stuffy and bureaucratic.
"Utilize" exists exactly for the reason you cite.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: September 25, 2023 11:38AM

billhoward
Swampy
"Utilize" exists exactly for the reason you cite.
Pol Pot was wrong about glasses, but would have been fine had he stuck to those who use "utilize."

Date: September 30, 2023 04:54PM

1-0 Big Red at the half off a gift goal when the Brown goalie gave it away and we scored on essentially an empty net. Cornell had several other good chances including two off the crossbar, and controlled the play. Brown didn’t have a single dangerous chance.

Date: September 30, 2023 06:01PM

scoop85
1-0 Big Red at the half off a gift goal when the Brown goalie gave it away and we scored on essentially an empty net. Cornell had several other good chances including two off the crossbar, and controlled the play. Brown didn’t have a single dangerous chance.
Game ends 1-1. Can't put weaker teams away.

Date: September 30, 2023 06:31PM

Yep, a tie vs brown that we should have won. From the stands that one bar down shot looked like it went in but you have to beat brown even if you get some calls against you

Date: September 30, 2023 08:16PM

chimpfood
Yep, a tie vs brown that we should have won. From the stands that one bar down shot looked like it went in but you have to beat brown even if you get some calls against you
probably should have gotten a PK in the closing minute too

Date: October 03, 2023 10:06PM

I couldn’t watch the game but a 3-2 win over Albany with 3 of the 5 goals being scored on penalties. We have to start playing better to make a splash in the natty this year. We’ve shown we can play against the big guys but we need to be better at putting away the bad teams.

Date: October 05, 2023 12:26PM

Draws against Harvard and Brown (not to mention a win over a weak Albany team) have knocked Cornell down to 38 in RPI. No bueno, especially with an 0-0-2 conference start. We have to start winning our Ivy games or we're going to be on the outside looking in at the end of the season.

Date: October 07, 2023 05:55PM

Scoreless at the half at Penn

Date: October 07, 2023 06:29PM

1-0 Penn on penalty kick after hand ball inside the box.

Date: October 07, 2023 06:31PM

We've given up way too many PKs recently

Date: October 07, 2023 07:03PM

1-0 final...can't win if you can't score

Date: October 10, 2023 09:33PM

Big Red with a fairly dominant 3-1 win over Colgate tonight.

Date: October 10, 2023 10:48PM

Alex Harris seems like the real deal

Date: October 13, 2023 08:53PM

chimpfood
Alex Harris seems like the real deal
Recruiting video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-214.myvzw.com)
Date: October 14, 2023 04:30PM

Up 2-0 nearing the midpoint of the first half against Princeton. Controlling play.

Date: October 14, 2023 04:55PM

ugarte
Up 2-0 nearing the midpoint of the first half against Princeton. Controlling play.
3-0 late first half

Date: October 15, 2023 10:48AM

Convincing 5-1 win. I don't know if Ka had been injured again this season, but good to see him back--he's a difference maker.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2023 09:46AM

I before E, except after C . . .

Date: October 17, 2023 07:08PM

1-0 over Binghamton at the half

Date: October 17, 2023 07:30PM

ugarte
1-0 over Binghamton at the half
Tied 1-1 second minute of second half.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 17, 2023 07:46PM

George64
I before E, except after C . . .

Learn to spell! Learn to spell!

Date: October 17, 2023 08:19PM

87th minute goal gives Cornell the win.

Date: October 17, 2023 09:00PM

2-1 win vs Binghamton and binghamtons only goal was scored by Ithaca native Cailen Thomas.

Date: October 18, 2023 07:09AM

chimpfood
2-1 win vs Binghamton and binghamtons only goal was scored by Ithaca native Cailen Thomas.
One SOG for Bingo.

Date: October 19, 2023 01:37PM

chimpfood
If you're not going to attend Cornell, at least go to a place where the parents can't show up unannounced in about an hour, and where there's a massively different weather pattern.

Date: October 21, 2023 10:03PM

Pretty dominant win over Dartmouth, keep the wins coming

Date: October 21, 2023 10:56PM

chimpfood
RPI back up to 28 in a 48 team tournament and the Ivy title is back in reach.

Date: October 21, 2023 11:09PM

chimpfood
Cornell 2-0, shots on goal Cornell 10-1.

Date: October 25, 2023 11:06AM

With two weeks remaining, four teams are tied for first in the Ivies with 2-1-2 records. Harvard, Penn and Yale are tied with us for the lead. We host Yale this week and play last-place Columbia to finish the regular season.

Date: October 25, 2023 03:20PM

dbilmes
With two weeks remaining, four teams are tied for first in the Ivies with 2-1-2 records. Harvard, Penn and Yale are tied with us for the lead. We host Yale this week and play last-place Columbia to finish the regular season.
Closing games:
Cornell: Yale      @Columbia
Harvard: Princeton @Dartmouth
Penn   : @Columbia Princeton
Yale   : @Cornell  Brown
Standings:
Cornell  : 2-1-2 8
Harvard  : 2-1-2 8
Penn     : 2-1-2 8
Yale     : 2-1-2 8
Brown    : 1-0-4 7
Dartmouth: 2-2-1 7
Princeton: 1-2-2 5
Columbia : 0-4-1 1

Top four teams make the Ivy tournament, which I think eliminates only Columbia but I'm not going through all the permutations to make sure that a two-win Princeton team can't get frozen out. Cornell closes the season at Columbia and I may have to drag myself up there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2023 03:22PM by ugarte.

Date: October 28, 2023 06:22PM

2-0 loss to Yale; yuck

Date: October 29, 2023 12:50AM

Al DeFlorio
2-0 loss to Yale; yuck
Need to beat Columbia and hope Brown loses to guarantee even making the playoff.

Date: November 04, 2023 10:41AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
2-0 loss to Yale; yuck
Need to beat Columbia and hope Brown loses to guarantee even making the playoff.
If Yale takes an early 2 goal lead I may drag myself up to the Wein Stadium to watch this one.

Date: November 04, 2023 05:55PM

If current results hold Cornell won’t make the Ivy tournament. Gotta cheer for a winner from Yale in the last few mins or a Penn collapse

Date: November 04, 2023 06:05PM

Looks like we’re gonna need a win tonight and a kind selection committee.

Date: November 04, 2023 06:40PM

chimpfood
Looks like we’re gonna need a win tonight and a kind selection committee.
Yep. Brown-Yale finishes in a 0-0 tie and the best we can do is lose a tiebreaker and end up in 5th.

If Penn's two-goal lead holds, Penn will win the Ivy League. If we win we tie Brown in the standings. First tiebreaker is H2H, which was a tie. Second tiebreaker is record vs. top seed. They tied Penn, and we lost.

If Penn slips into a tie with Princeton, there's a 3-way tie for the Ivy title. In the 3-way H2H, the seeds end up Penn-Harvard-Yale and we lose the tiebreaker to Brown the same way.

If Penn blows the lead, and we end up in a 3-way tie for third with Penn and Brown, we still lose the tiebreaker on H2H. Penn (1-0-1) followed by Brown (0-0-2) then us (0-1-1).

5th place in the conference and our current RPI is 37. Beating Columbia will barely help that. Tough road to a wildcard. We have the best RPI in the Ivies but went 2-2-2 against a league that our OOC play says that we should have rolled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2023 06:44PM by ugarte.

Date: November 04, 2023 08:14PM

Well that’ll be the season. Goal with 47 second left called offside. Any team that can’t beat Columbia doesn’t deserve the NCAA tourney though.

Date: November 04, 2023 08:17PM

chimpfood
Well that’ll be the season. Goal with 47 second left called offside. Any team that can’t beat Columbia doesn’t deserve the NCAA tourney though.
oof was just about to type that. 0-0 tie to almost certainly close out a season that should have gone much better. Blah follow up to an incredible '22.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2023 09:19PM

Not only that goal called back for offside, but an earlier goal called onside by the linesman overturned after he and the referee had a lengthy discussion.

Date: November 05, 2023 12:35AM

ugarte
chimpfood
oof was just about to type that. 0-0 tie to almost certainly close out a season that should have gone much better. Blah follow up to an incredible '22.
The tie against Columbia dropped Cornell's RPI to 55. That's a wrap, folks.

Posted by: Local Motion (192.92.157.---)
Date: November 06, 2023 04:27PM

Hey I am not really a soccer guy, but Cornell must have a good program if they beat Syracuse. As a student at Cornell our fraternity would come to Schoellkopf for some big games. Back then Cornell played on the old Astroturf, but today with Field Turf it would be great if soccer came back to Schoellkopf for some of our home games. I was reading six MLS teams currently play on Field Turf. I think the soccer field dimensions are somewhat similar to lacrosse but again I am not a soccer guy and not familiar with the league rules.

Date: November 06, 2023 06:54PM

Local Motion
Hey I am not really a soccer guy, but Cornell must have a good program if they beat Syracuse. As a student at Cornell our fraternity would come to Schoellkopf for some big games. Back then Cornell played on the old Astroturf, but today with Field Turf it would be great if soccer came back to Schoellkopf for some of our home games. I was reading six MLS teams currently play on Field Turf. I think the soccer field dimensions are somewhat similar to lacrosse but again I am not a soccer guy and not familiar with the league rules.
We do have a good team! We lost to Syracuse 1-0 on a late goal in the NCAA tournament last year on their way to winning it and after beating them in the regular season. That's why this year was such a disappointment. We beat UNH (RPI 5) and Syracuse (22) but tied Harvard (108), Brown (105) and Columbia (178) and not only won't qualify for NCAA's, we didn't even finish in the top half of the conference and will miss the ILT.

Date: November 15, 2023 10:36PM

Yale wins the ILT and the Ivies are a one-team conference. Yale got a decent draw, though, with Bryant followed by #14 Hofstra.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login