Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2023 end of season honors, postmortems

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell lacrosse 2023 end of season honors, postmortems
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2023 11:20AM

Thread for All-America, Schmeisser Cup (lax defenseman), Tewaarton; transfer portal players.

Tewaarton Award (Tewaaraton site) Winner announced after season ends.
Finalists:
Tucker Dordevic, Georgetown – Grad. Student, Attack
Pat Kavanagh, Notre Dame – Sr., Attack
CJ Kirst, Cornell – Jr., Attack
Brennan O’Neill, Duke – Jr., Attack
Connor Shellenberger, Virginia – Sr., Attack

Schmeisser Award (Wikipedia site)
Previous Cornell winners:
1944 Fred Allner, Jr.
1971 John Burnap
1977, 78 Chris Kane 2x
2007 Mitch Belisle
Gavin Adler is the presumptive 2023 as the only unanimous AA first-team defender.

All-America Team (Media / Inside Lacrosse) (IL story
First Team:
A-Brennan O'Neill, Duke (unanimous)
A-CJ Kirst, Cornell (unanimous less one vote)
A-Pat Kavanagh, Notre Dame
A/M-Matt Campbell, Villanova
M-Sam Handley, Penn (unanimous less one vote)
M-Thomas McConvey, Virginia
FO-Jake Naso, Duke
SSDM-Payton Rezanka, Loyola
SSDM-Chet Comizio, Villanova
LSM-Roy Meyer, Boston U
D-Gavin Adler, Cornell (unanimous)
D-Brett Makar, Maryland
D-Owen Grant, Delaware
G-Liam Entenmann, Notre Dame
Ivies on second team:
A-Coulter Mackesy, Princeton
M-Alexander Vardaro, Princeton
SSDM-Beau Pederson, Princeton
Ivies on third team:
A-Matt Brandau, Yale
SSDM-Piper Bond, Penn

Coach of the Year (USILA 12/22 announcement)
The USILA weekly was a day later than the media poll. The USILA coach of the year should be the Paul Masson award (sell no wine before its time). It's announced after Thanksgiving. Last year should have been Connor Buczek's year (time with modest expectations falls 2 goals short of national title) so instead it went to Maryland's John Tillman (Cornellian) who went 0-4 in title games before winning in 2017 and 2022.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2023 12:09PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2023 end of season honors, postmortems
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2023 02:57PM

billhoward
(unanimous less one vote)
the word for this is penanimous

Posted by: billhoward (---.slic.com)
Date: May 23, 2023 06:55PM

ugarte
billhoward
I checked penanimous and found no definition for it. Mind you, this is on a low-bandwidth Adirondacks library connection. But it ain't there.
Unless one wants to go toe to toe with William F. Buckley trading intricate words, there's little gained using words almost nobody knows. And some people hear a rare word and think, what an A-hole.
You can get away with penultimate, enough people know it, and enough of those who don't have heard it.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: May 24, 2023 12:39AM

billhoward
ugarte
billhoward
I checked penanimous and found no definition for it. Mind you, this is on a low-bandwidth Adirondacks library connection. But it ain't there.
Unless one wants to go toe to toe with William F. Buckley trading intricate words, there's little gained using words almost nobody knows. And some people hear a rare word and think, what an A-hole.
You can get away with penultimate, enough people know it, and enough of those who don't have heard it.

I simply took it as a word-nerd joke.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-204-135.myvzw.com)
Date: May 24, 2023 09:03AM

RichH
billhoward
ugarte
billhoward

ding ding ding

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: May 24, 2023 10:18AM

RichH
billhoward
ugarte
billhoward

OTOH, peninitial is a word and means second place.

paena is Latin for "almost."

I move we make this a word, and I will be referring to Tom Seaver's penperfect game from now on.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2023 12:32PM

billhoward

Before I knew what penultimate meant, I came across antepenultimate in a math proof. I thought the writer was a pedantic jerk.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2023 02:11PM

it really is something to get a lecture about using five dollar words on what i thought was very obviously a made-up word

Date: May 24, 2023 02:12PM

ugarte
it really is something to get a lecture about using five dollar words on what i thought was very obviously a made-up word

That's Cornell, Suzyn.

Posted by: woodpile (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2023 06:27AM

I think that all here would agree with Quint and the other 2 sycophants om ESPN that 1) Corrigan should immediately be conferred with sainthood and 2)
Pat Kavanaugh should now be considered as one of the greatest sports figures in modern history. In an unprecedented display of courage and athletic heroism, he actually (believe it or not) played with a sore hamstring. It was critical that the tv audience be reminded of that approximately 100 times during the broadcast.
Here's to a Cornell return to the tournament next year. Just my 2 cent's advice to Connor B: next time you win the faceoff in OT, call a timeout. Please.

Posted by: mike1960 (193.42.0.---)
Date: June 09, 2023 09:51AM

We went to Europe for the last couple of weeks, and upon return, I find that I still have not completely recovered from the tournament loss.

Question: Did Cornell lose to a Michigan team with inferior talent, and if so, what does that say about the program?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2023 02:24PM

mike1960
We went to Europe for the last couple of weeks, and upon return, I find that I still have not completely recovered from the tournament loss.

Question: Did Cornell lose to a Michigan team with inferior talent, and if so, what does that say about the program?

Based on what I know if lacrosse recruiting, Michigan has been pulling in guys of similar ranking to what we've been bringing in. So I don't think they had inferior talent.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: June 12, 2023 05:36PM

Chase Ierlan is going to be the goalie for Hopkins next season. He ends up playing again for Millman, who recruited him and coached him at Cornell for the start of his career.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 05:37PM by dbilmes.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2023 end of season honors, postmortems - Eamon McEneaney
Date: July 20, 2023 02:24PM

Rip Van Winkle news dep't: Five decades after he played HS lacrosse on Long Island then led Cornell to two of its national titles, two decades after he died in the World Trade Center attack, Eamon McEneaney '77 will be induced into the Nassau HS Hall of Fame. PLayers Bob Rule, Robert Henrickson, Bruce Arena, and coaches Richie Moran and David Pietramala are already there. Sept. 28 event.

[cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2023 10:36PM

Not quite understanding whatever criteria would be used such that five other people associated with the Cornell program would get in before him, but a nice acknowledgement nevertheless

Date: July 28, 2023 04:28PM

semsox
Not quite understanding whatever criteria would be used such that five other people associated with the Cornell program would get in before him, but a nice acknowledgement nevertheless
Perhaps an overweighting of what the people did on Long Island before departing for elsewhere. Or: Eamon McEneaney may have been seen as cocky and if that's so, it didn't rub the sports elders the right way. He did make it into the Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 1993.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2023 04:46PM

billhoward
semsox
Perhaps an overweighting of what the people did on Long Island before departing for elsewhere. Or: Eamon McEneaney may have been seen as cocky and if that's so, it didn't rub the sports elders the right way. He did make it into the Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 1993.

That 4 of the earlier 5 continued their careers as coaches may have had something to do with it. I can't find very much on Robert Henrickson, so he's a bit of a wild card.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2023 08:24PM

Swampy

That 4 of the earlier 5 continued their careers as coaches may have had something to do with it. I can't find very much on Robert Henrickson, so he's a bit of a wild card.

Robert Henrickson ‘78 got his DVM from Cornell in ‘83 and practices in Manhasset, LI.

Posted by: dag14 (98.38.249.---)
Date: July 29, 2023 01:05PM

I know nothing about Eamon's high school lacrosse experience so I am just offering another hypothesis. Perhaps he was a late bloomer so not a star in high school?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2023 01:28PM

dag14
I know nothing about Eamon's high school lacrosse experience so I am just offering another hypothesis. Perhaps he was a late bloomer so not a star in high school?

According to the book “We Showed Baltimore,” Eamon was the most highly sought recruit in the country his senior year, so that’s not the answer.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2023 01:28PM

dag14

According to the book “We Showed Baltimore,” Eamon was the most highly sought recruit in the country his senior year, so that’s not the answer.

Date: July 29, 2023 03:05PM

scoop85
dag14

Thanks for clarifying that. I had no idea. The lack of recognition sooner makes no sense in that case.

Date: July 29, 2023 11:36PM

dag14
McEneaney was a stud (ability, not size) in HS. He played an exhibition game at Cornell I believe at the end of his junior year and lit the place up. His game was all grown up and so was his mouth. He was not understated. But, it ain't braggin' when you can do it.

He also played a bit varsity not lightweight (now sprint) football, he was light even by the 1970s sprint limit of 158 (?) pounds but, senior year, he led Cornell in receiving, second in scoring.

Pound for pound, he was arguably Cornell's best football player. He also won the quote Tewaaraton Trophy as a lax senior, except back then it was the USILA Lt. Raymond Enners Memorial Award. He was Cornell MVP sophomore and senior year, Mike French '76 was MVP in between when French set all sorts of scoring records. Based on the fewer games played then, and only three varsity years, most Cornell records would still be held by those two on a goals, assists, points per game basis.

Those two were in the same league as Rob Pannell and Jeff Teat. Or vice versa. Teat and McEneaney were the same size give or take an inch and 5 pounds, and nobody pushed Eamon around the field.

Date: July 30, 2023 12:13PM

I graduated in 1972 and returned to work at Cornell in summer of 1976 so although I only missed being on campus for 4 years of Cornell lacrosse, unfortunately they were some of the best. If only the Internet had been "invented" 25-30 years sooner!

Date: July 31, 2023 10:48AM

dag14
If only the Internet had been "invented" 25-30 years sooner!

< ARPANET has entered the chat. >

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login