Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell football 2023

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous123456 7 
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Cornell football 2023 - upstate NYS football success
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2023 10:21PM

rss77
[www.ithaca.com]

Interesting article on Chad Levitt and the price one pays for playing football
also a lot of reasons in there why his NFL career didn't go as well as payne's. glad that he found someone who cared enough to do the extra work to diagnose and fix the problem.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2023 11:06PM

rss77
[www.ithaca.com]

Scary!

Posted by: Roy 82 (136.226.6.---)
Date: December 18, 2023 06:30PM

David Harding
rss77
[www.ithaca.com]

Scary!

Indeed.

Exciting new coach notwithstanding, I would suggest that Cornell take the bold move of ending its football programs. The casualty toll is too great. And the NCAA knocked the Ivies from the top league anyway.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 18, 2023 09:30PM

Roy 82
David Harding
rss77
[www.ithaca.com]

Scary!

Indeed.

Exciting new coach notwithstanding, I would suggest that Cornell take the bold move of ending its football programs. The casualty toll is too great. And the NCAA knocked the Ivies from the top league anyway.

For a while there after the movie Concussion and CTE in football players being the lead story on the news, I really thought Cornell would end the program. Take being on “the right side of history” as an easy way to get rid of a rotten program you just can’t seem to fix.

Now everyone seems to have forgotten or just agreed not to care that we are watching people wreck their bodies, and in many cases their lives, and football seems as big as ever. I’m guilty of it too.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2023 08:32AM

CU2007
Now everyone seems to have forgotten or just agreed not to care that we are watching people wreck their bodies, and in many cases their lives, and football seems as big as ever. I’m guilty of it too.
Is it?

My impression after the pandemic was everybody was pulling their kids out of football except the derps. The sport dies if there are no more gladiators.

Date: December 19, 2023 09:04AM

Trotsky
CU2007
Is it?

My impression after the pandemic was everybody was pulling their kids out of football except the derps. The sport dies if there are no more gladiators.

I think participation is down for sure except in places where football is religion. TV ratings are excellent again after a brief drop, and the group of people saying they would stop watching for moral reasons seems to have been shouted down. I think it’s probably true that if you grow up with few options, football might be worth the risk. But if you’re a rich suburban kid, it’s probably not.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: December 19, 2023 09:58AM

The Washington Post has an excellent series of articles published this week about the state of high school football. Here is an excerpt from the main story:
While participation is falling almost everywhere, The Post found, boys in the most conservative, poorest states continue to play high school tackle football at higher rates than those in wealthier and more politically liberal areas. The politicization of the concussion crisis is forging deeper divisions between those who support youth football and those who don’t. And while precise data about football’s racial makeup is hard to come by, the demographics appear to be gradually shifting. Among kids and teens, White and Black males are playing tackle football at declining rates, while Hispanic boys increasingly take up the sport. In college, the proportion of White players is declining, and that of Black players rising, at faster rates than national demographic changes.
High-schoolers in states that voted for former president Donald Trump in 2020 played football last year at a rate roughly 1.5 times as high as those in states that went for President Biden, The Post found — a significant divide that also existed a decade ago. But poll results revealed that liberals are increasingly more likely to discourage children from playing football, while conservatives are just about as likely to recommend the sport now as in 2012.
“There seems to be a very disturbing possibility,” said Andrew M. Lindner, associate professor of sociology at Skidmore College who has studied the demographics of football participation, “that who your dad voted for [in the presidential election] could influence your risk for a very serious [football-related] ailment or injury.”

Re: Cornell football 2023
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 19, 2023 10:29AM

At the same time our HS has had far more concussions from soccer than football for many years.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: December 19, 2023 10:45AM

CU2007
the group of people saying they would stop watching for moral reasons seems to have been shouted down
That's never the way these things die, though. They become segregated communities in which they are wildly popular within and not even reviled but just ignored without. Boxing. Cockfighting. Hell, probably Bear Baiting. I'm sure someplace in Yakutsk, right now...

Date: December 19, 2023 11:37AM

upprdeck
At the same time our HS has had far more concussions from soccer than football for many years.

I read somewhere that girls soccer was the 2nd highest concussion rate, behind football. And I think USA Soccer banned headers until age 15 or so because of it - could be wrong there. Most were caused by heading the ball without fully developed neck muscles to support the impact on the head.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.mobility.exede.net)
Date: December 19, 2023 12:24PM

CU2007
upprdeck

I read somewhere that girls soccer was the 2nd highest concussion rate, behind football. And I think USA Soccer banned headers until age 15 or so because of it - could be wrong there. Most were caused by heading the ball without fully developed neck muscles to support the impact on the head.
The collision of your head with the other guy's head isn't such a great thing, either.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-58.myvzw.com)
Date: December 19, 2023 02:28PM

Trotsky
CU2007
the group of people saying they would stop watching for moral reasons seems to have been shouted down
That's never the way these things die, though. They become segregated communities in which they are wildly popular within and not even reviled but just ignored without. Boxing. Cockfighting. Hell, probably Bear Baiting. I'm sure someplace in Yakutsk, right now...

Cornell is known to have prohibited bear cubs on the gridiron and chickens tied to goalposts in the rink.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2023 03:22PM

CU2007
upprdeck

An emerging body of research says girls/women may need to train differently and be treated differently when injured. They may need different not just downsized protective gear. It's not a the-weaker-sex thing.

Posted by: jhib (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 21, 2023 11:30AM

Slippery slope and all, but if football goes for that reason, it's only a matter of time before hockey is next.

Posted by: Local Motion (192.92.157.---)
Date: December 21, 2023 08:55PM

I disagree as football has always been a physical and dangerous game but a lot of fun too. One of my fraternity brothers at Cornell was ROTC and after graduation was an Navy fighter pilot who served in both gulf wars. Very dangerous duty flying off an aircraft carrier and doing missions over both Iraq and Afghanistan. He loved flying in the Navy, but that job was probably far more dangerous than playing football. We all must remember life in general is a risk and no risk no reward. Sitting on the sidelines is not always healthy either. Go Big Red!!!

Page: Previous123456 7 
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login