Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell football 2023

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous12 3 4567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Cornell football 2023
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2023 04:47PM

Broken play, Wang scrambles and fumbles. Oof. Colgate ball.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)

Protect the football, Jameson.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)

Fumble should end it...appropriately.

Date: September 30, 2023 04:55PM

Colgate puts it in - I don't think our linebackers are ever anywhere useful. 28-17.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2023 04:57PM

ugarte
Colgate puts it in - I don't think our linebackers are ever anywhere useful. 28-17.

Losing Stebbins was quite noticeable today. The defense had been so solid the 1st two games, but today against a backup QB and a Colgate offense that had done nothing all year, this was an embarrassment.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:05PM

Good drive going now... and a great inside WR screen for Laboy for the TD. 28-23 pending what I assume will be a 2-pt attempt.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:06PM

scoop85
ugarte

Losing Stebbins was quite noticeable today. The defense had been so solid the 1st two games, but today against a backup QB and a Colgate offense that had done nothing all year, this was an embarrassment.
Oddly, the secondary did a good job of forcing the QB to run... but the line did a terrible job of containing the scrambling or actually getting to the QB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2023 05:07PM by ugarte.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:06PM

ugarte
Good drive going now... and a great inside WR screen for Laboy for the TD. 28-23 pending what I assume will be a 2-pt attempt.
Wang bootleg when he can't find the target for the conversion. 2:29 left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2023 05:08PM by ugarte.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:09PM

No onside kick. Pooch kickoff, Colgate kneels at the 30 and there's some taunting on the outside and #14 takes a swing at someone on Colgate gets a personal foul and ejected. Great work.

Posted by: mike1960 (94.140.9.---)
Date: September 30, 2023 05:14PM

Don't be that guy.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:15PM

4th and 1 for Colgate from the Cornell 46... Cornell uses its last timeout. Decision coming for 'gate... going for it... not going for it. Takes the delay of game and will punt from midfield. Cornell is going to get the ball back for another two minute drill. Big stop for the D to give us a chance.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:16PM

mike1960
Don't be that guy.
great call from the colgate announcer, talking about not jumping offside.

Incredible punt bounces out at the 3.

Date: September 30, 2023 05:18PM

Wang sacked in the end zone, fumbles. I think Wang was actually trying to shuffle an illegal pass to a lineman as he went down. The lineman also doesn't pick it up and Colgate recovers for a game-ending TD instead of a game-ending safety. 35-25 with 1:37 to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2023 05:19PM by ugarte.

Posted by: mike1960 (94.140.9.---)
Date: September 30, 2023 05:20PM

The Cornell announcer is thinking we have a chance.

I am in awe of his optimism.

Date: September 30, 2023 06:03PM

Harvard crushing Holy Cross mid-2nd, 21-7.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2023 06:53PM

Al DeFlorio
Harvard crushing Holy Cross mid-2nd, 21-7.

Cornell will get beat easily by Harvard. And as crazy as it may sound after the Yale win, Cornell could end up 3-7 or at best 4-6. That should signal the end of the Archer era.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2023 10:31PM

Yale absolutely destroyed a 1-3 Morgan State but they lost by 3 to FBS Akron, beat Richmond, lost close games to Albany and Towson. Colgate's punter was one of the difference makers as well as the Colgate offensive line. Cornell also seemed to have missed tackles in the open field. Realize Stebbins is out which hurts but are Henderson and Fletcher out too? Not sure if I understand the running back rotation-Caruthers and Tillman are quicker off the ball IMO-why not go with them? Harvard looks really good.

Date: October 02, 2023 12:34PM

Meant to make point that Harvard coming up that by comparing scores chances against Harvard don't look great but each game is different. Putting out the Morgan State info that Yale put a beatdown on a tough opponent so it shows Cornell is capable of beating an athletic team on a good day. Must say that losing game changers like Kizer and Stebbins definitely and hope to see them back on the field ASAP.

Posted by: Local Motion (192.92.157.---)
Date: October 02, 2023 02:21PM

Tough loss for Cornell, especially the collapse in the fourth quarter.

Hey have you posters heard President Martha Pollack was once again absent during Homecoming? I was talking with one of the Cornell board members who said she was traveling out of town and a bunch of alums were upset. This is not the first time Martha Pollack has missed Homecoming or walked out after the first quarter. We have thousands of alums making the 4-6 hour trip to Ithaca for the one big sports/alumni event all year and she blew it off. Do you think Frank Rhodes would have skipped Homecoming? Where does she think donations for Cornell infrastructure and financial aid come from? Very annoying for loyal alumni to donate to our university and the president skips town.

Posted by: Weder (136.226.48.---)
Date: October 02, 2023 03:03PM

Local Motion
Tough loss for Cornell, especially the collapse in the fourth quarter.

Hey have you posters heard President Martha Pollack was once again absent during Homecoming? I was talking with one of the Cornell board members who said she was traveling out of town and a bunch of alums were upset. This is not the first time Martha Pollack has missed Homecoming or walked out after the first quarter. We have thousands of alums making the 4-6 hour trip to Ithaca for the one big sports/alumni event all year and she blew it off. Do you think Frank Rhodes would have skipped Homecoming? Where does she think donations for Cornell infrastructure and financial aid come from? Very annoying for loyal alumni to donate to our university and the president skips town.

According to her official Instagram, she was getting inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Sciences over the weekend.
[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: October 02, 2023 03:07PM

The AD should be at Homecoming. The President of the university has a lot better things to do.

As long as she sucks off the donors in some other forum and keeps the checks rolling in, she's doing her job.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: October 02, 2023 03:56PM

I'm sure the president of the university spends a lot of time flying around the country and the world hitting up alums to make big donations to Cornell. I would hate to think that whether someone donates to Cornell or not is based upon whether they see the president at Homecoming.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2023 05:35PM

The only significance of the president not attending homecoming is that it indicates she doesn’t care about athletics, which is probably the case for most or all Ivy League presidents. We can argue how much her not caring about sports matters, but other than that, I don’t think the fact she didn’t attend homecoming matters at all.

Posted by: Local Motion (8.9.80.---)
Date: October 02, 2023 07:03PM

I think you miss my point. Andy Noel's budget was cut by about $1MM as soon as Martha Pollack took office. Andy is a nice guy and a good team player, but his hands were tied over the past five years. Even if Andy wanted to hire a new head coach, he didn't even have the funds to hire one. At least Archer knows his way around the system. I also think Ryan Lombardi would have loved to make improvements to the athletic department but his hands are tied too. In terms of Martha Pollack just ask our students as most of them would see her twice in their four years at Cornell .The first time at Orientation and the other at Graduation. In comparison, Frank Rhodes, Hunter Rawlings, and David Skorton were all very visible around campus. I think she's a great computer scientist who would be terrific dean, but not a college president where you need good social and public speaking skills.

I like Nikki Moore the new AD but she's going to have an uphill battle getting anything done on the East Hill and I think most insiders on campus would agree. Go Big Red!

Date: October 03, 2023 10:38AM

BearLover
The only significance of the president not attending homecoming is that it indicates she doesn’t care about athletics, which is probably the case for most or all Ivy League presidents. We can argue how much her not caring about sports matters, but other than that, I don’t think the fact she didn’t attend homecoming matters at all.
Presidents care about athletics in direct proportion to how much athletics brings in $$$.

If you're the President of Alabama or Mississippi, you care about athletics almost to the exclusion of everything else. If you're President of Michigan or UCLA, you care, but it's only one of several things. If you're President of Brown or Cornell you give absolutely zero fucks.

The President of the university is a knob polisher of the donor class. It's the job. At the Ivies that means (1) see the check clears, (2) protect the snob appeal brand. When I earn my first trillion Pollack will be doing my dishes and taking out my trash, and she'll be at Fish N Fowl because that's my condition, bitch, now, boar on the floor! But until then, they don't give a crap and arguably they shouldn't. They are vacuum cleaners for the dandruff of privilege; they are not people.

Date: October 03, 2023 12:50PM

Well that certainly was not the case when I was a student-athlete at Cornell. Frank Rhodes was a regular at many Cornell sports events and he was an advocate for renovating Schoellkopf Field in 1986 and the opening of Bartels Hall in 1990. Frank Rhodes was by far the best fund-raiser and most popular president in the last fifty years on the East Hill.

I guess if the president of Cornell doesn't care about athletics, then why should we alumni continue to post on this website, make financial gifts to athletics, or support our teams??? Meanwhile the other seven Ivy league members continue to upgrade their athletic facilities. For example, Conner Buczek has done a great job coaching Big Red lacrosse, but I can assure you if he keeps up the good work, other NCAA teams will come calling, like the other Lax coaches who have left the East Hill in recent years.

You may want to tour some of the amazing athletic facilities at other Ivy member schools. Even Dartmouth has significantly upgraded their athletic facilities in recent years and like Cornell they are located in a rural setting.

Posted by: big29red (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2023 02:03PM

100% agree! The athletic facilities for both Varsity and non-Varsity athletes are subpar. Every other Ivy has blown by us in terms of their stadiums, fields, and facilities for the general student population. If you ever go to MIT, you would be amazed at what they have and what they offer their students. I just do not understand how this continues, year after year, and we look like a forgotten stepchild. My entire family all went to Cornell (7 of us), and 4 of us were on various athletic teams, it has not really improved a whole lot. The lacrosse team is a perfect example- they need an indoor practice facility, supposedly the money has been raised by friends of Cornell lacrosse, still not built. The University president "can't decide where it should go". Are you kidding me?? That new computer science building is already underway, and they kicked the baseball team far away from campus on Game Farm road. Good luck getting the undergrads to go and cheer on the team. I can assure you that Coach Buczek has already been approached by several other lax programs offering more $$$, but he has stayed out of loyalty, as has his coaches! That will not last for long, can only hope this new AD sees the forest through the trees and puts Athletics on par with our amazing educational opportunities as well as our peer institutions athletic facilities. I can tell you all without a doubt, this hurts recruiting tremendously, and we lose many good athletes to other Ivys. Look at the football team-abysmal record, mediocre coaching staff that is underpaid, playing in half a stadium.

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: October 03, 2023 02:41PM

I have heard that the new indoor recreation & sports bldg is still in the works - they are trying to finish the fundraising. Inflation raised the cost of the facility.

Date: October 03, 2023 03:14PM

Andy Noel wanted the indoor practice facility on campus and Martha Pollack wants to send it two miles down the road. As a former Big Red student-athlete I didn't even have a car until my senior year which I parked behind my fraternity house. I too came from a big Cornell family and my older brother almost didn't graduate because he had too many parking tickets. Cornell has always been a "walkable" campus dating back to when my great Uncle was there in the 1920's. I find it ironic the Cornell admin wants our students walking everywhere which is probably a good thing, but then they push our already limited sports facilities off campus.

The reality is when a Ivy League recruit visits Cornell, especially for sports like football where they walk into our stadium (which is in terrible condition) then that same student-athlete visits Princeton, Harvard, or even Dartmouth it's practically a no-brainer where they are going and it's not the East Hill. The Princeton stadium is incredibly impressive and Dartmouth's is nearly brand new. Meanwhile I have heard Harvard is renovating their stadium and even prior to the renovations the Crimson usually leads the Ivy League in home game attendance. Again, if you're a top Ivy League recruit from places like Florida, Texas, and California some of these kids are playing in 10K plus seat stadiums that are full every Friday night.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2023 03:59PM

Local Motion
Andy Noel wanted the indoor practice facility on campus and Martha Pollack wants to send it two miles down the road. As a former Big Red student-athlete I didn't even have a car until my senior year which I parked behind my fraternity house. I too came from a big Cornell family and my older brother almost didn't graduate because he had too many parking tickets. Cornell has always been a "walkable" campus dating back to when my great Uncle was there in the 1920's. I find it ironic the Cornell admin wants our students walking everywhere which is probably a good thing, but then they push our already limited sports facilities off campus.

The reality is when a Ivy League recruit visits Cornell, especially for sports like football where they walk into our stadium (which is in terrible condition) then that same student-athlete visits Princeton, Harvard, or even Dartmouth it's practically a no-brainer where they are going and it's not the East Hill. The Princeton stadium is incredibly impressive and Dartmouth's is nearly brand new. Meanwhile I have heard Harvard is renovating their stadium and even prior to the renovations the Crimson usually leads the Ivy League in home game attendance. Again, if you're a top Ivy League recruit from places like Florida, Texas, and California some of these kids are playing in 10K plus seat stadiums that are full every Friday night.

The issue is the product, not the buyers. If you have a team that wins, people will come. People will most definitely come.

Date: October 03, 2023 04:15PM

All so true- My frustration lies in the fact that as an alum athlete,I am always hearing how something "can't" be done, as opposed to let"s do it! I'm embarrassed to bring friends to Scheolkopff, where I have many great memories of playing and watching my son play. Martha Pollack unfortunately does not have her finger on the pulse of athletics in a college setting and furthermore, I don't think she really cares either. Ridiculous to push athletics miles off campus, and don't start with Columbia has to do that- we are not in Manhattan/Harlem.

As for the indoor lacrosse/recreation facility, I was told the money is there- however by delaying the decision making as to where it should reside, the cost of building it has risen (Union work at Cornell). That's on Martha- again she could give a shit about athletics. I don't know what the answer is. I have written VP Lombardi and Noel- crickets! Maybe, as others have mentioned, we just stop sending money?

I also feel this is not just a Varsity athletics issue, the entire student body needs better and more available facilities to blow off steam. Maybe, just maybe, there won't be as many drinking incidents on campus as there are now! The University sorely needs a new pool- Teagle is outdated- knock down another outdated facility Helen Newman, and build a multi story facility with a new pool, basketball courts, weight rooms and a top floor cafe, with views of Bebe Lake. Parking underground. I've been to high schools and prep schools with similar and markedly better facilities. God forbid, dip into the endowment, and get it done!

Date: October 03, 2023 04:25PM

The only way to win is to out recruit your rivals- can't do that now in Football, Baseball, and somewhat in Basketball, as well as most of the women's sports sans Hockey. Why- the facilities are subpar for years, and the legacy of losing does not go away. Recruits are constantly looking else where to our Ivy foes, especially in Football. HYP certainly gives more "financial aid", and they take whoever they want. I do find it amazing that Lacrosse, Hockey and Wrestling can remain as competitive as they do-certainly a testament to the respective coaches!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2023 04:25PM by big29red.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwyynyx1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: October 03, 2023 04:47PM

Why should we continue to post on this site?

Um, we look to complain?

Re: Cornell football 2023 - pony somewhere in Colgate pile
Date: October 03, 2023 04:56PM

Good news from Saturday's Colgate / Homecoming game 9/30:

* I think we led more minutes than Colgate. If not, close enough.
* The fireworks were fantastic Friday night.
* The weather was fabulous. We were out three times on the lake Friday to Sunday.
* Attendance almost 13,000 for football, even more for fireworks.
* Colgate player's dad sitting in front of us said Nicki Moore was well-regarded at Colgate.
* One can win in more than one way on game day: "Never Lost a Tailgate." Go Red!
* The Big Red Marching Band (and all the alumni band people Saturday) continue to make parents of the other seven Ivy teams jealous. Our band looks good, plays well, and doesn't do political skits which nobody even understands because the announcer mumbles and how to do you make an extended middle finger when the band only has like nine people on the field?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2023 05:02PM by billhoward.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2023 05:45PM

mike1960
Local Motion

The issue is the product, not the buyers. If you have a team that wins, people will come. People will most definitely come.
I don’t agree. People don’t come to watch Cornell lacrosse, nor Harvard football. Lynah attendance doesn’t seem to oscillate based on recent success.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2023 10:47PM

More bad news for the football team. I heard Jake Stebbins could be out for the season with an ACL injury. Being a 5th year player is football career would be over.

Date: October 04, 2023 10:57AM

If this is for all students then it needs to be on campus. One or two of the Upper Alumni fields would have to give way, or something else would have to come down. It could replace the Schoellkopf Crescent parking lot. Maybe it could go atop the Hoy parking garage (add a few pilings) with a lower level where the Schoellkopf West stands were; BU has one or two fields atop a recently built parking deck. If the Schoellkopf field was moved closer to the Crescent and the former track removed, there'd be quite a bit of room.

Maybe it's time to replace Teagle Hall and its swimming pool.

Putting an all-students fit-rec center a mile or two off campus doesn't make sense. Putting up a field house (indoor field) is a competitive advantage now, in 10 years the lack will be a disadvantage. The president should see herself as part of a continuum of leadership and think about what Cornell wants and needs, not just her personal opinion.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 04, 2023 11:21AM

I thought the current plan was to go where the soccer field is?

havent heard how the synchrotron will like the construction though?

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: October 04, 2023 02:00PM

Believe Cornell was considering two on-campus sites for the new rec center, which would be used by both students & teams.

Date: October 04, 2023 05:33PM

billhoward
If this is for all students then it needs to be on campus. One or two of the Upper Alumni fields would have to give way, or something else would have to come down. It could replace the Schoellkopf Crescent parking lot. Maybe it could go atop the Hoy parking garage (add a few pilings) with a lower level where the Schoellkopf West stands were; BU has one or two fields atop a recently built parking deck. If the Schoellkopf field was moved closer to the Crescent and the former track removed, there'd be quite a bit of room.

Maybe it's time to replace Teagle Hall and its swimming pool.

Putting an all-students fit-rec center a mile or two off campus doesn't make sense. Putting up a field house (indoor field) is a competitive advantage now, in 10 years the lack will be a disadvantage. The president should see herself as part of a continuum of leadership and think about what Cornell wants and needs, not just her personal opinion.

It's past due time.

Date: October 04, 2023 05:34PM

CAS
Believe Cornell was considering two on-campus sites for the new rec center, which would be used by both students & teams.

Any idea where?

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-197-196.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2023 10:39PM

The Colgate fans in front of me booed Nikki Moore as soon as her name was announced. The death of President Garrett hurt the athletic cause as she was pro athletic. Optics matter and a College President should at least show up at sports events time to time. IMO Cornell has been lacking for years in good recreational and intramural indoor spaces.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2023 10:50PM

Ken711
CAS

Any idea where?
This is the most recent master plan. [masterplan.cornell.edu]

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2023 11:05PM

upprdeck
I thought the current plan was to go where the soccer field is?

havent heard how the synchrotron will like the construction though?

The master plan works around the ring.

Date: October 05, 2023 12:21PM

FYI, Cornell is going to ruin your Friday night instead of your Saturday afternoon. [cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: big29red (209.251.241.---)
Date: October 05, 2023 01:21PM

Yes- Cornell has lacked the proper leadership to move both Varsity athletics and general student sporting endeavors forward!

I agree, Beth Garrett would have been awesome. Our current president is MIA when it comes to athletics and the needs of our student athletes, especially in regard to enhancing the facilities needed to win. Our peer institutions are far ahead of us. Hey, at least we have a new spot for the synchrotron!

Date: October 05, 2023 01:43PM

Even as a rabid hockey fan I gotta ask: why should athletics be a priority? If it's a net revenue generator then, fine, use it as an engine to fund legitimate academic pursuits. But if it loses money... fuck it. It's a bauble for a minority of students, usually quite wealthy students, who often don't belong on campus anyway.

Posted by: Iceberg (199.49.20.---)
Date: October 05, 2023 02:59PM

Trotsky
Even as a rabid hockey fan I gotta ask: why should athletics be a priority? If it's a net revenue generator then, fine, use it as an engine to fund legitimate academic pursuits. But if it loses money... fuck it. It's a bauble for a minority of students, usually quite wealthy students, who often don't belong on campus anyway.

Not sure if you're lumping athletics facilities into this, but outdated venues for student, faculty, and staff recreation are definitely unacceptable, especially at a school like Cornell. I remember several months ago a poster here leaving an article about the bad shape of the pool at Teagle. That should never be a story
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2023 03:00PM by Iceberg.

Date: October 05, 2023 05:35PM

The school prides itself on its top notch academics, community programing and alumni outreach-why shouldn't athletics and University wide recreational opportunities, facilities, et al, be held to the same standard? Our peer Ivy's certainly do, including MIT; not even in the league!

I and others are not saying athletics should be a priority, just bring them into the current decade and demonstrate to the students and families that pay exorbitant tuition, that you actually care about their collective well-being outside the academic arena!!

Date: October 05, 2023 09:13PM

I have always believed athletics and physical fitness are just as important in high school and college as academics. For example, one of my former Cornell teammates has been both very successful in the world of finance and today is a scratch golfer. He recently retired and enjoys playing tournament golf around the northeast. It's great to be a 4.0 computer science major, but in life you also have to get along with people. One of the biggest problems we have in the business and professional world is employees who are poor teammates and lack communication skills. For example, we have one guy in our company who is absolutely brilliant but he's a little odd and struggles with the social skills. He doesn't exactly exercise either.

If you're a student-athlete you may need to work harder on the academic side to be successful. On the other hand, if your a brilliant student, you may need to work harder on your physical fitness and people skills. I have a friend who was a track star in college and is now a professor at Harvard. At age 62 she can still run circles around most of her students at Harvard. On the other hand, she had to work very hard on the academic side to be successful. I have heard she is a very popular professor at Harvard.

Isn't that what the Ivy League is all about? After all it's a sports conference and not an academic affiliation.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2023 07:18AM

Trotsky

I'd go a little beyond money-making and say that college sports can make the experience of college better for much of the student body, on the same level as a pleasant campus (aesthetically pleasing buildings, quads you want to spend time on, nice views), good student unions/dining halls, school traditions (songs, a capella concerts, food trucks, whatever), etc. But yes, I'm also not comfortable saying they should be of paramount importance. E.g., I was dismayed at university presidents who decided keeping varsity sports going in 2020-2021 was more important than student health.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 06, 2023 12:40PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

I'd go a little beyond money-making and say that college sports can make the experience of college better for much of the student body, on the same level as a pleasant campus (aesthetically pleasing buildings, quads you want to spend time on, nice views), good student unions/dining halls, school traditions (songs, a capella concerts, food trucks, whatever), etc. But yes, I'm also not comfortable saying they should be of paramount importance. E.g., I was dismayed at university presidents who decided keeping varsity sports going in 2020-2021 was more important than student health.
Agree.Renewing quality faculty tops all.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2023 01:17PM

Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Trotsky

Couldn’t agree more. Currently reading American Prometheus, great to see how many Cornell faculty are considered to be the 20th century’s greatest physicists - Bethe, Feynman, Wilson, as well as alumnus Isidor Rabi.

Date: October 06, 2023 04:36PM

George64
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Trotsky

Couldn’t agree more. Currently reading American Prometheus, great to see how many Cornell faculty are considered to be the 20th century’s greatest physicists - Bethe, Feynman, Wilson, as well as alumnus Isidor Rabi.
Also reading it. Cornell's 20th century reputation was based on world-class faculty, such as: Bethe, Hoffman, Rossiter, Lafeber, Lowi, Bronfenbrenner et al. I'm sure folks here can add others.

Date: October 06, 2023 07:19PM

Carothers?

Date: October 06, 2023 07:30PM

No clock or down and yardage.

Down by two TDs..like at Yale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2023 07:46PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: CAS (146.75.245.---)
Date: October 06, 2023 07:52PM

Announcers said Carothers is injured.

Date: October 06, 2023 07:55PM

CAS

Then Tillman (assuming he’s healthy) should play a lot, as he’s our best back anyway.

Date: October 06, 2023 08:03PM

scoop85
CAS

Then Tillman (assuming he’s healthy) should play a lot, as he’s our best back anyway.
Not from what I saw in New Haven.

Date: October 06, 2023 08:05PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
CAS

Going by last season. But perhaps Carothers has surpassed him.

Anyway, our defense, which started the season looking decent, has fallen apart without Stebbins. Harvard will likely put up 50 on us

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-211.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2023 08:05PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
CAS

TD drive, Pope was impressive and Wang did a great job. Unfortunately this team can't tackle at all and Harvard flew back down the field. 21-7 H.

Date: October 06, 2023 08:24PM

Some good looks on the reply drive but the team ran out of time. Kennedy hits a fire drill FG from 43 as a running clock expires.

21-10 at the half.

Date: October 06, 2023 09:05PM

Defense in shambles. One stop, but Harvard flies down the field on the second drive of the half. 28-10.

Date: October 06, 2023 09:17PM

Another solid drive led by Wang and he finished it himself with a 4 yard TD. 28-17.

Date: October 06, 2023 09:31PM

Trade 3 and out, Harvard QB games a handoff and runs straight up the middlefor a 58 yard TD run. He's got to have 150 yards on the ground.

Cornell blocks its econd PAT of the game. 34-17.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: October 06, 2023 09:35PM

Zero response to that guy all night. How do we not have our fastest defensive back “spying” him?

Date: October 06, 2023 09:47PM

Scersk '97
Zero response to that guy all night. How do we not have our fastest defensive back “spying” him?
Broke off another big run before throwing a dime for yet another TD. I decided that was enough before the PAT so it was 40-17 when I bailed.

Date: October 06, 2023 09:52PM

No worries, Cornell will end up 8-2 or is that 2-8. :-D

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: October 06, 2023 09:57PM

ugarte
Scersk '97
Broke off another big run before throwing a dime for yet another TD. I decided that was enough before the PAT so it was 40-17 when I bailed.

I very, very rarely bail on a game. This night is the exception that proves the rule.

Date: October 06, 2023 10:53PM

Superior speed and athleticism on Harvard's part proves the difference. Not sure what is going with secondary-several blown coverages during the Harvard game.

Date: October 07, 2023 08:57AM

Has anybody without cable tried to watch Cornell football on ESPN+? I tried and it told me to go to espn.com/activate to log in with my cable provider. I think I was already logged in to my ESPN account on the Roku (I have the soon-to-be-expensive Disney+ bundle), since I was able to watch cricket highlights afterwards.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2023 09:18AM

jtwcornell91
Has anybody without cable tried to watch Cornell football on ESPN+? I tried and it told me to go to espn.com/activate to log in with my cable provider. I think I was already logged in to my ESPN account on the Roku (I have the soon-to-be-expensive Disney+ bundle), since I was able to watch cricket highlights afterwards.

Just a guess, but could it have been because last night’s game was on ESPN2? I don’t think those games are included with ESPN+, so that’s probably why they wanted the cable login to steam it.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: October 07, 2023 10:46AM

Weder
jtwcornell91

Just a guess, but could it have been because last night’s game was on ESPN2? I don’t think those games are included with ESPN+, so that’s probably why they wanted the cable login to steam it.

This seems correct to me.

Date: October 07, 2023 11:17AM

Chris '03
Weder
jtwcornell91

I no longer have cable, but streamed the first three quarters on ESPN+, part of my Disney+ package. Spectrum in Rochester is my internet provider.

Date: October 07, 2023 11:51AM

George64
Chris '03
Weder
jtwcornell91

I no longer have cable, but streamed the first three quarters on ESPN+, part of my Disney+ package. Spectrum in Rochester is my internet provider.

Hmm, I'm in Rochester with Greenlight, but I thought ESPN restrictions were based on cable subscriptions, not ISPs. Of course, I didn't try too hard given the score that was listed next to the game...

Date: October 07, 2023 12:36PM

jtwcornell91
George64
Chris '03
Weder
jtwcornell91

Hmm, I'm in Rochester with Greenlight, but I thought ESPN restrictions were based on cable subscriptions, not ISPs. Of course, I didn't try too hard given the score that was listed next to the game...
I also have Roku. The ISP doesn't matter, as long as they carry ESPN. Weder is correct that ESPN/2/U games require a cable login while ESPN+ games need an ESPN subscription (or Disney/Hulu bundle). Roku can process either password but the ESPN app will make you input both via Roku eventually.

Scersk '97
ugarte
Scersk '97

I very, very rarely bail on a game. This night is the exception that proves the rule.
I wasn't even planning to watch as much as I did tbh but eventually I did decide that I couldn't keep watching the middle of the field open up like the Nile for the Israelites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 12:38PM by ugarte.

Date: October 07, 2023 06:05PM

I watched the game with some friends who had us over for the evening. It was great having Cornell football on ESPN2 and I enjoy night games. Sadly once again Cornell was blown out on national TV. Our offense played pretty well, but the defense just got run over by the Harvard QB. It seems every time I attend a Cornell football game or watch the game on television we always lose. Cornell is a great university, but I am tired of our team always being at of the bottom of the Ivy League.

Date: October 07, 2023 09:04PM

Yes it was an espn2 game not an espn+ game. You need an ESPN acct to view it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 11:00AM

Al DeFlorio
George64
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Trotsky

Also reading it. Cornell's 20th century reputation was based on world-class faculty, such as: Bethe, Hoffman, Rossiter, Lafeber, Lowi, Bronfenbrenner et al. I'm sure folks here can add others.

Nabokov, Becker, Mommsen, Ammons, Feynman, Malinowski, Rawls.

Date: October 09, 2023 11:32AM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
George64
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Trotsky

this is the worst offensive line i've ever seen. archer has to go.

Date: October 09, 2023 12:01PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
George64
Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Trotsky

I was going to add Salpeter if we broadened the original list to Astrophysics. Of course Sagan was a large part of inspiring me to go to Cornell (at least 11-year-old me). A lot of Cornell's major planetary science contributions came in the late 20th and early 21st centuries, so probably a later time period than people are thinking of.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 04:24PM

ugarte
I wasn't even planning to watch as much as I did tbh but eventually I did decide that I couldn't keep watching the middle of the field open up like the Nile for the Israelites.
Good one. I thought maybe it was the Suez Canal. And us fans were aboard the Costa Concordia.

Date: October 09, 2023 04:43PM

Not a good weekend for the Bills, either. OTOH, on alternativing weekends, the Bills could win the Super Bowl. But not if you have to play 3-4 games to get there.

Date: October 09, 2023 05:44PM

billhoward
Not a good weekend for the Bills, either. OTOH, on alternativing weekends, the Bills could win the Super Bowl. But not if you have to play 3-4 games to get there.

The Bills play the Giants next, so there's an easy win there.

Date: October 10, 2023 05:18PM

This could be the year the Bills get to the Super Bowl in search of an unprecedented 0-5 record.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 10, 2023 05:51PM

billhoward
This could be the year the Bills get to the Super Bowl in search of an unprecedented 0-5 record.

As long as they lose to the Eagles, I'm good with it.

Date: October 10, 2023 07:50PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
There was a big Cornell alumni event, CALC, the weekend of the Eagles' victory, and it was kinda icky to see the light poles had been greased up to avoid revelers injuring themselves.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: October 10, 2023 08:57PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
There was a big Cornell alumni event, CALC, the weekend of the Eagles' victory, and it was kinda icky to see the light poles had been greased up to avoid revelers injuring themselves.

A Philly tradition: [billypenn.com]

Date: October 10, 2023 11:03PM

Cornell-Penn football is an old tradition and I don't think they grease up anything for that weekend.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: October 11, 2023 12:26AM

billhoward
Cornell-Penn football is an old tradition and I don't think they grease up anything for that weekend.

Beating us so often while piling up championships we only dreamt of became so commonplace there was no longer any excitement for them. Maybe they greased some palms to get out of being our “traditional rival” so they could try to associate with the likes of Old Nassau for the final weekend instead. Left us to forge that meaningful “Empire Cup” or whatever with that powerhouse Columbia.

Posted by: Local Motion (192.34.178.---)
Date: October 11, 2023 09:45AM

I think they should play the Empire Cup (Cornell vs. Columbia) game in New York City every year, last game of the season similar to the old Cornell vs. Penn game in Philly over Thanksgiving. But host it the weekend before Thanksgiving as they do now, as doing it on Turkey Day makes it complicated for many families. When they play the game in Ithaca the weather is usually cold and very few fans show up, where NYC is a good ten degrees warmer and November is a great time to be in Manhattan. Last year we had a nice Cornell crowd for the Columbia game in the City. I think if the game was properly promoted with a huge contingent of Cornell & Columbia alums living in the NY Metro area they could sell out Kraft Field every November, similar to the Harvard vs. Yale or Lehigh vs. Lafayette rival games. It would also help recruiting and fundraising for both Cornell and Columbia football programs. This plays well with Cornell's new Tech Campus and Medical School in the City it's practically a home game for the Big Red. Follow up with the Big Apple Classic hockey game the next week, it's a win-win all the way around.

Date: October 11, 2023 10:02AM

Local Motion
I think they should play the Empire Cup (Cornell vs. Columbia) game in New York City every year, last game of the season similar to the old Cornell vs. Penn game in Philly over Thanksgiving. But host it the weekend before Thanksgiving as they do now, as doing it on Turkey Day makes it complicated for many families. When they play the game in Ithaca the weather is usually cold and very few fans show up, where NYC is a good ten degrees warmer and November is a great time to be in Manhattan. Last year we had a nice Cornell crowd for the Columbia game in the City. I think if the game was properly promoted with a huge contingent of Cornell & Columbia alums living in the NY Metro area they could sell out Kraft Field every November, similar to the Harvard vs. Yale or Lehigh vs. Lafayette rival games. It would also help recruiting and fundraising for both Cornell and Columbia football programs. This plays well with Cornell's new Tech Campus and Medical School in the City it's practically a home game for the Big Red. Follow up with the Big Apple Classic hockey game the next week, it's a win-win all the way around.

Interesting idea. I hope it’s explored thoroughly.

Posted by: Local Motion (192.34.178.---)
Date: October 11, 2023 02:55PM

Right now at Cornell the only well attended game we have is Homecoming and the crowds are usually gone for the remainder of the home games, but then again we have not even challenged for an Ivy League title since 1999.

I think Harvard and Yale have a huge recruiting advantage with "The Game", which they should as both schools have done a great job promoting that rivalry for many years. My thought is having the Cornell vs. Columbia game in NYC as the last game every year would be kind of like our own bowl game (Empire Cup) and give the rivalry more significance. Plus November is a great time of year to visit Manhattan with all the great shows, holiday decorations, and awesome restaurants. Last year my wife and I stayed in a nice hotel in Manhattan near Central Park. I got up in the morning and had a nice run in the park, then we took the subway north to Columbia (Kraft Field) had a tailgate with some friends and enjoyed the game. Then we met up with some family for dinner in the Big Apple after the game. It was so much fun!!! Meanwhile it's not like NYC alums are going to travel to Ithaca in late November.

Date: October 11, 2023 03:03PM

What is the ease of travel for the alumni of hard/yale for the game vs any alumni of cornell?
What number of alumni live within a 30-60 min drive of the game?

For Cornell I cnat imagine its even close to 10% live within 2-3 hrs drive.

Date: October 11, 2023 03:41PM

harvard and yale do not have a huge recruiting advantage for "the game," they have a huge recruiting advantage because they are harvard and yale.

Date: October 11, 2023 04:08PM

Playing Cornell vs. Columbia football, now the season-ender, every year in NYC has disadvantages:
* Every year is a home game for Columbia
* Every year since 2017, Cornell has played ice hockey at Madison Square Garden on Thanksgiving Saturday, BU on odd years, someone else also distinguished on even years, UConn in 2022. When Cornell classes want to do pre-game events, there's competition between the football tailgate vs. the hockey classes receptions a week later in MSG-adjacent bars. Our class does one not but not two most years, and usually it's hockey. That might change if football was more competitive.

Date: October 11, 2023 04:17PM

To put a nicer spin on season-ending partners, in our lifetime there's a good chance a Penn-Princeton matchup would determine the Ivy title (or knock one into / out of contention) while a Cornell-Columbia matchup clarifies who's sixth, seventh or eighth.

IvY Titles Since the Formal Ivy League (1956)
College	        Titles* Last 
Dartmouth	20	2021
Penn	        18	2016
Harvard	        17	2015
Yale	        17	2022
Princeton	13	2021
Brown	         4	2008
Cornell	         3	1990
Columbia	 1	1961
* Includes ties

Re: Cornell football 2023 - Bucknell 10/14
Date: October 11, 2023 04:37PM

Bucknell   1-4  0-2 Patriot League
@Cornell   2-2  1-1 Ivy League 
1 pm, Schoellkopf, 10/14/23, weather likely 55, rainy
Cornell should have a decent chance. Home game for Cornell, and Bucknell gives up lots of points: 38 to JMU (38-3), 37 to Penn (L37-21), 56 to Lafayette (56-22), 55 to #12 Holy Cross (55-27). Lone win 21-13 in week 2 at home over VMI. Except for the first game, the, ah, Buckies, no, not 'Nells, ah, the Bison, have scored 21-27 points.

Date: October 11, 2023 05:01PM

billhoward
To put a nicer spin on season-ending partners, in our lifetime there's a good chance a Penn-Princeton matchup would determine the Ivy title (or knock one into / out of contention) while a Cornell-Columbia matchup clarifies who's sixth, seventh or eighth.

IvY Titles Since the Formal Ivy League (1956)
College	        Titles* Last 
Dartmouth	20	2021
Penn	        18	2016
Harvard	        17	2015
Yale	        17	2022
Princeton	13	2021
Brown	         4	2008
Cornell	         3	1990
Columbia	 1	1961
* Includes ties

I hate title ties. Has anybody gone back and resolved all the ties with a decent tie breaker, or is it up to me?

(Whaddya wanna bet when it's done we lose all 3 titles?)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2023 05:02PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 11, 2023 05:03PM

ugarte
harvard and yale do not have a huge recruiting advantage for "the game," they have a huge recruiting advantage because they are harvard and yale.
Just have Cornell play Columbia at Madison Square Garden.

Page: Previous12 3 4567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login