Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's Basketball 22-23

Posted by rss77 
Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Men's Basketball 22-23
Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 01:05PM

I'll be at the Palestra later for what hopefully is a bounce back game. Should be a good time regardless

Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 04:03PM

This team is special, I think they have it in them

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 06:50PM

If Penn was actually hitting freethrows, they'd have a bigger lead right now. Most of their 3's have gone in

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 06:51PM

Slow start but Cornell came back, then gave the lead up. Down 2 at the half but tbh they look like the better team and should be able to pull away. Nazir Williams injury really hurts this team because his motion opens up the floor for the shooters. Boothby's stroke seems gone and he can't get himself open. Surprised at how little Manon is playing today but he's got 2 fouls. Dolan with 18 at the half.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2023 06:52PM by ugarte.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 08:23PM

Frustrating weekend. In both games the defense struggled to get stops and got pounded on the boards. Earl's strategy is understandable as Cornell is a bit undersized up and all the cards are put on a gambling trap defense to create steals but if teams are able to pass out of the traps as both Princeton and Penn did it creates open 3s and opportunities around the hoop. Also Penn seemed to be getting loose balls on their offensive end. Curran, the so-called color analyst on the Penn broadcasts, is one of the worst homers on the Ivy circuit IMO. Eyes on the prize-finish in the top 4 still in reach.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:42PM

both games played out late with inability to make any 3s when it mattered and Fts not going their way.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:49PM

Get in the top 4. It really doesn’t matter which spot it is. Probably have to go through both P’s anyway.

Date: February 04, 2023 09:53PM

rss77
Curran, the so-called color analyst on the Penn broadcasts, is one of the worst homers on the Ivy circuit IMO.
I didn't think so. He was hard on the refs but thought they were calling a terrible game both ways. I thought the Penn crew was one of the best local crews I've heard calling any sport. *Highly* complimentary of Cornell, team and individuals.

Nazir, where are you!? Still think they'll right the ship. This is a very, very good team and the P/P weekends are done. Yale and Harvard rematches loom very large and we can't lose any of the other 3.

Posted by: mountainred (---.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:00AM

This is hardly the first Cornell hoops team to go o-fer on the P/P trip. 8-6 almost certainly gets you in the ILT, and that means winning at Brown, and at home v. Columbia and Dartmouth. ILT is very much in play, and it's not like the #1 seed brings it to Newman.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:24AM

mountainred
This is hardly the first Cornell hoops team to go o-fer on the P/P trip. 8-6 almost certainly gets you in the ILT, and that means winning at Brown, and at home v. Columbia and Dartmouth. ILT is very much in play, and it's not like the #1 seed brings it to Newman.
Brown just won at Harvard. Not a gimme in Pizzitola.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 09:31AM

[ivyleague.com] shows men's Ivy tournament March 11,12
but [ivyleague.com] shows March 10,11 (and puts the whammy on Cornell/Yale/Princeton)

Anybody know which is correct?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2023 09:35AM by nshapiro.

Date: February 06, 2023 10:17AM

I would say it has to be fri-sat.. they are trying to stop sunday games before march madness and the thing starts on tues as well so if an ivy played in one of those games even less time to get ready.

Date: February 06, 2023 11:25AM

big thanks to cornell's web folks

Date: February 10, 2023 01:39PM

Cornell at Brown tomorrow

lose and as tight as the standings are it becomes Dicy.. gonna be a tie breaker it would seem someplace by the end.

Prince over Dartmouth helps us
Yale over Columbia not a big deal but Columbia winning would help keep Yale in site.
Penn - Harvard. Harvard winning means at worst we stay in the top 4. But a Harard loss also means one less time stays in play.

we can end up 2-3-4-5 after tomorrow..

3 homes games left and vs the bottom 3 teams.. Still a good chance the 3 homes are enough to get us to the playoff.

Posted by: mountainred (64.203.142.---)
Date: February 11, 2023 01:43PM

upprdeck
Cornell at Brown tomorrow

lose and as tight as the standings are it becomes Dicy.. gonna be a tie breaker it would seem someplace by the end.

Prince over Dartmouth helps us
Yale over Columbia not a big deal but Columbia winning would help keep Yale in site.
Penn - Harvard. Harvard winning means at worst we stay in the top 4. But a Harard loss also means one less time stays in play.

we can end up 2-3-4-5 after tomorrow..

3 homes games left and vs the bottom 3 teams.. Still a good chance the 3 homes are enough to get us to the playoff.

I still can't wrap my head around Harvard being 7th, they have way too much talent. Winning at Brown would be huge, but they are playing well. 5 wins in their last 7, with only losses at Yale and in Ithaca.

Really hope to see Nazir back.

Technically, the Big Red could wake up tomorrow in a tie for second, but I just can't see Columbia finishing a sweep of Yale.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 11, 2023 02:33PM

This absolutely blows

Date: February 11, 2023 02:50PM

chimpfood
This absolutely blows
Whatever magic this team had has vanished.

Date: February 11, 2023 02:53PM

This is the worst half of basketball this team has played all season.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 11, 2023 02:55PM

They entire half was painful to watch. Last few games our shots just haven’t been falling like they did before

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-214.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2023 03:14PM

chimpfood
They entire half was painful to watch. Last few games our shots just haven’t been falling like they did before
honestly thought there was a problem with the rim in Princeton but tbh Boothby has lost his stroke and Ragland had way too much leeway to bomb off the back iron. it seems clear to me that Williams is much more important to the team than just his numbers.

Date: February 11, 2023 03:34PM

IMHO, in the Harvard, Penn and Princeton losses, it was the defense that really let them down. You score 80+ in an Ivy game, you take it and you should win. But you can't let up 90.

Ragland shoots way, way too much. You can't lead the team in 3's taken and make under 30% of them. Boothby though has found his stroke in league play (He did stink OOC). Would you believe that coming into today he was hitting 58% of his threes in league play (best in the league)?

Brown is just vastly better today. Tip of the hat to Coach Martin and the Bears.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-214.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2023 05:33PM

mountainred
IMHO, in the Harvard, Penn and Princeton losses, it was the defense that really let them down.
agreed. can't close out shooters and when they try they leave wide open cuts to the basket. I watched the first 5 minutes of the second half and turned it off because it was sad.

Date: February 12, 2023 08:50AM

the stretch in the first where they had 3 charges called turned the game and the lead exploded after that

Date: February 14, 2023 12:40PM

ugarte
mountainred
IMHO, in the Harvard, Penn and Princeton losses, it was the defense that really let them down.
agreed. can't close out shooters and when they try they leave wide open cuts to the basket. I watched the first 5 minutes of the second half and turned it off because it was sad.

Opponents are hitting 56.8 % of their shots inside the arc. That is horrid, like bottom 10 in the country bad. Cornell's offense was outpacing this problem with lots of 3s and lots of forced turnovers for most of the season, but as of late our league opponents are doing a good job of finding the open man and making us pay.

If Cornell wins its 3 remaining home game -- not a certainty by any stretch -- they should make the ILT since Brown still has the P and P trip to make plus a game with Yale. But the margin for error is now microscopic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 08:54AM by mountainred.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 01:57PM

mountainred
ugarte
mountainred

Opponents are hitting 56.8 % of their shots inside the arc. That is horrid, like bottom 10 in the country bad. Cornell's offense was outpacing this problem with lots of 3s and lots of forced turnovers, for most of the season but as of late our league opponents are doing a good job of finding the open man and making us pay.

If Cornell wins its 3 remaining home game -- not a certainty by any stretch -- they should make the ILT since Brown still has the P and P trip to make plus a game with Yale. But the margin for error is now microscopic.

They've lost their mojo and I don't seem them getting it back. Teams obviously found a way on film to exploit the Cornell defense.

Posted by: toddlose (---.sub-174-211-162.myvzw.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 03:54PM

Ken711
mountainred
ugarte
mountainred

Opponents are hitting 56.8 % of their shots inside the arc. That is horrid, like bottom 10 in the country bad. Cornell's offense was outpacing this problem with lots of 3s and lots of forced turnovers, for most of the season but as of late our league opponents are doing a good job of finding the open man and making us pay.

They've lost their mojo and I don't seem them getting it back. Teams obviously found a way on film to exploit the Cornell defense.

I, unfortunately, agree with ken. I pray that I’m wrong tho.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:31PM

Offense gets headlines, defense wins championships

Date: February 15, 2023 09:04AM

toddlose
Ken711
mountainred
ugarte
mountainred

Mojo changes fast in sports and the Brown disaster makes everything look worse. They've played better at home. Honestly, nothing would surprise me out of the last four games.

Date: February 15, 2023 09:11AM

toddlose
Ken711
mountainred
ugarte
mountainred

The Basketball-u site posted a widget that lets you see who makes the ILT. If every game ends as predicted, Cornell is still the three seed. Have to hope the Brown game was an outlier.

Date: February 15, 2023 11:11AM

mountainred
toddlose
Ken711
mountainred
ugarte
mountainred

The Basketball-u site posted a widget that lets you see who makes the ILT. If every game ends as predicted, Cornell is still the three seed. Have to hope the Brown game was an outlier.
has us as the 4 seed even with a loss to Harvard, which is also nice, I guess. still going to be worried and you can't stop me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 07:57PM by ugarte.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 01:50PM

Ken711
Cornell won 5,4, 4 and 3 games my four years on campus. True, those years are so long ago, dunking wasn't legal. The Sweet Sixteen season spoiled me. That we finish in the top four just makes us think we have a shot to make the NCAAs. Could happen. Maybe.

It does sound with the players Brian Earl recruited, we should do a bit better.

Date: February 17, 2023 08:40PM

back and forth game and cornell blew a late lead to go to OT (and blew the last possession so badly that Dartmouth got the last shot but rimmed it out). OT was all Cornell, though - scored the first 12 points, IIRC. Big Red go to 6-5.

Meanwhile
Penn (6-4) is beating Yale (7-3) by 2 with 4:59 left
Princeton (7-3) is beating Brown (6-4) by 13 early in the second half.
Harvard (3-7) blowing out Columbia, and we play H tomorrow.

Date: February 17, 2023 09:36PM

Cornell wins tomorrow to get to 7-5

Penn/brown would mean either all 3 tied or Cornell in 4th

Princ/yale Princeton win could make a 4 way tie for 2nd.

Date: February 17, 2023 09:41PM

Penn hangs on, Princeton rolls.

Remaining
Princeton 8-3  Yale/@Harvard/Penn
Yale      7-4  @Princeton/Cornell/@Brown
Penn      7-4  Brown/Dartmouth/@Princeton
Cornell   6-5  Harvard/@Yale/Columbia
Brown     6-5  @Penn/@Columbia/Yale
Dartmouth 5-6  @Columbia/@Penn/Harvard
Harvard   4-7  @Cornell/Princeton/@Dartmouth
Columbia  1-10 Dartmouth/Brown/@Cornell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2023 09:55PM by ugarte.

Date: February 17, 2023 09:59PM

Penn loses to brown/Dart beats Prince ends up 8-5
Cornell beats Yale/Columbia 8-5 loses to Harvard
Dartmouth wins out 8/5
Yale beats Princ loses to Cornell/Brown 8-5
Brown beats Brown/Yale loses to Columbia 8-5

5 way tie for 2nd is still in play

Date: February 18, 2023 11:18AM

Last night Cornell won the turnover battle by 8, yet somehow had 5 fewer points off turnovers. Not sure I've ever seen that before. And because Manon started in place of Boothby, Cornell had just 5 bench points out of the total of 95. Boothby, Ragland and Watson were all shutout. I'm sure all that means something, but I have no idea what.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-247-184.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2023 11:38AM

The key is the return of williams. Slots everyone in the right place. Shorten the bench? Based on last night, maybe?

Date: February 18, 2023 12:03PM

Today will make or break our postseason hopes as a loss on the road vs Yale and a win at home vs Columbia are all but guarantees at this point.

Date: February 18, 2023 12:25PM

chimpfood
Today will make or break our postseason hopes as a loss on the road vs Yale and a win at home vs Columbia are all but guarantees at this point.
take hasn't been consistent enough for that but also... kinda, yeah

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2023 08:32PM

upprdeck
Cornell wins tomorrow to get to 7-5

Penn/brown would mean either all 3 tied or Cornell in 4th

Princ/yale Princeton win could make a 4 way tie for 2nd.

Will that ship sailed along with whatever mojo the team had this last of the season.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2023 08:45PM

Harvard shot 28% from 3 and 50% for the game. We shot 25% from 3 and 33% for the game. We took 10 more 3's than Harvard, but that's the math. Disappointing game

Posted by: mountainred (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2023 08:53PM

Looks like I chose a good one to miss. You aren’t beating many teams if you miss two of every three shots.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2023 06:29PM

So what is the realistic path to the playoffs for us now?

Date: February 23, 2023 07:02PM

cornell beats Columbia

but if we dont win both we want Yale to win out cause we have a win over them and Penn so we would beat Brown in tiebreakers

Harvard to not win out because they beat us h2h twice if the ivies use that as the first tiebreaker?

Date: February 25, 2023 06:00PM

So for the Ivy tourney, it looks like:
Win, win - in
Lose, win - in only if Yale beats Brown next weekend
Win, lose - same as above
Lose, lose - out

Date: February 25, 2023 06:12PM

win tongith and we get 2 shots next week. Lose tongith and we need some help But yale would be playing for the IVY title so a little help there.

Date: February 25, 2023 08:31PM

At some point shots have to start falling… right?

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.50.---)
Date: February 25, 2023 08:41PM

Pretty brutal second half. Cornell is still the 4 seed with a win v. Columbia and a Brown loss to Yale. As Upperdeck says, Yale will be playing for the top seed and the chance to avoid Penn/Princeton, so there is something.

Not that I see this team winning a game at the ILT right now.

Date: February 25, 2023 09:44PM

mountainred
Pretty brutal second half. Cornell is still the 4 seed with a win v. Columbia and a Brown loss to Yale. As Upperdeck says, Yale will be playing for the top seed and the chance to avoid Penn/Princeton, so there is something.

Not that I see this team winning a game at the ILT right now.

Seem to have really fallen off after the hot start. Wasn’t someone important hurt? Is he back/expected back?

Date: February 25, 2023 09:57PM

Max was hurt but he’s been back the past few games and back to his high scoring ways. I’m still very hopeful for our chances as Columbia should be an easy win and if any team can pull off upsets it’s this one.

Date: February 25, 2023 10:59PM

Mojo for this team was long gone. Looking to next season and some taller front court players being brought in.

Date: February 26, 2023 01:02PM

Strangely, the final games next weekend are not all at the same time. So Cornell will need to win at 2PM and then huddle around a TV and root for Yale at 7:30PM

Date: February 27, 2023 02:52PM

chimpfood
Max was hurt but he’s been back the past few games and back to his high scoring ways. I’m still very hopeful for our chances as Columbia should be an easy win and if any team can pull off upsets it’s this one.

Nazir missed two or three games, but he's back. I don' think there has been a meaningful injury other that his.

I'm not sure there are easy wins for this team right now, but they should beat the Lions at home. And if they don't, they really don't belong in the ILT.

I know Ken calls it mojo, but the defense went from so-so to bad with the losses at Harvard, Penn and Princeton. Then the offense went from elite to mediocre in the last couple of losses.

One thing is that the rotation seems to have shrunk; lots of guys still play, but only seven logged 10+ minutes at Yale. And that includes Josh Baldwin who may one day be a huge part of the team, but right now he's an overmatched freshman.

As recently as last year there were two off-off-Broadway post-season tournaments that wanted you to pony up to play. But the Basketball Classic gave up after they spent last March getting turned turned by the likes of UMBC and Merrimack. Earlier this season, there was a CBI bracketology page (who would bother, I ask even though I read the page) that had us listed, but no Ivy is currently listed. I have to think the school has better uses for $50K.

Date: March 03, 2023 06:08PM

Yale plays for first no matter what happens.

not sure of the tie breaker rules but normal convention of head 2 head and such would work out going down the standings..

Yale wins
Penn wins

tied h2h, both split with Princeton so 4th/5th/6th place team matters

If Cornell wins cornell split with penn and yale
Brown lost to both twice
dart split both.
Yale lost all 4

So Col beating Yale in game 1 makes Penn the champ

I must have got lost somewhere though, I dont think that can happen . but too lazy to go back and look.

Yale since the Cornell loss has only lost 1 game and playing the best of anyone.

Date: March 03, 2023 07:19PM

upprdeck
Yale since the Cornell loss has only lost 1 game and playing the best of anyone.
Cause and effect? Yale's been playing better since the release of the DiSantis book. Has anybody read it?

Posted by: RichH (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 03, 2023 10:07PM

billhoward
upprdeck
Cause and effect? Yale's been playing better since the release of the DiSantis book. Has anybody read it?

Nick wrote a book? He’s only a freshman!

Re: Men's Basketball 22-23 - Columbia
Date: March 04, 2023 02:25PM

I switched from Ohio State lacrosse to the Columbia game. First thing I saw, Cornell missed a long three-pointer, like the baskbetall fans grumble about. But halfway through the first half, Cornell has more than doubled Columbia, 30-14, with four threes. Make that six, if I heard the announcers. 40-20 late in the half. Reduced to 40-34, uh-oh, and 45-39 at the half. Yikes. 21-5 Columbia run.

Final: Cornell 87-73.

Chris Manon had a highlight reel steal at midcourt and dunk with about 9:00 to play in the first half.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2023 03:55PM by billhoward.

Date: March 04, 2023 02:57PM

When it was 40-18, I was thinking Columbia didn't really want to be there was just playing out the string. Then they go on a 16-0 run where the Big Red looked every bit as bad as that run looks.

Date: March 04, 2023 03:03PM

can they hang on after that ending

Date: March 04, 2023 03:10PM

Col. cut it to 4 and Cornell goes on 16-3 run

Date: March 04, 2023 03:18PM

Let’s go Yale!! Do they have anything significant to play for after the results of these early games?

Date: March 04, 2023 03:23PM

CU2007
Let’s go Yale!! Do they have anything significant to play for after the results of these early games?
First place, I believe.

Date: March 04, 2023 03:33PM

Al DeFlorio
CU2007
First place, I believe.

Yep. If they win, they get us and, I think, at least an NIT bid. If they lose, they get Penn.

Date: March 04, 2023 03:36PM

Other than that absolutely brutal 4 minute stretch late in the first half, this game has been largely non-competitive.

Date: March 04, 2023 08:09PM

Yale jumped out early and gave most of it back up 4 late in the first

Date: March 04, 2023 08:21PM

Yale blows the whole 13 pt lead and scores 3 pts the last 6 min to now trails with 7 secs in the first half
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2023 08:21PM by upprdeck.

Date: March 04, 2023 09:40PM

upprdeck
Yale blows the whole 13 pt lead and scores 3 pts the last 6 min to now trails with 7 secs in the first half

Yale wins 84-75.

Date: March 04, 2023 09:42PM

yale played well the 2nd half and did a nice job down the stretch. Brown was happy swapping 2s for FTs I guess

Date: March 04, 2023 10:00PM

(1) Yale vs (4) Cornell, 11AM Saturday
(2)Princeton vs (3) Penn, 1:30PM Saturday

Championship, Sunday at Noon

Date: March 04, 2023 10:01PM

guess they couldt get access to the gym after lunch

Date: March 04, 2023 10:10PM

upprdeck

True. On the plus side, with the big conferences mostly starting later in the day, and the games on national tv (ESPNU), we might get a lot of eyeballs. Guess that’s a positive.

Date: March 04, 2023 10:15PM

at least its over before the Lax game ends and the Hockey game starts.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.50.---)
Date: March 05, 2023 08:24AM

CU2007
upprdeck

True. On the plus side, with the big conferences mostly starting later in the day, and the games on national tv (ESPNU), we might get a lot of eyeballs. Guess that’s a positive.

This is clearly made for TV scheduling and the Ivies are completely buried by the attention on the power conferences.

As far as our guys, they closed so poorly -- and yesterday was more about Columbia being a bad team than Cornell tuning bouncing back -- it sure looks like a one and done. But we have a better chance than Brown right now, which I guess counts for something.

Date: March 05, 2023 09:31AM

I dont think they have played a complete game Since Jan.. Thats hard to see changing, but there is hope.

Date: March 06, 2023 01:22PM

upprdeck
I dont think they have played a complete game Since Jan.. Thats hard to see changing, but there is hope.

No disagreement from me, but we still have a "chip and a chair."

Yale looks like the team we thought they were before the season started (i.e., the best team in the league). Hard to believe they were 1-3 in the league at one point.

Date: March 07, 2023 06:38PM

Ivy League All-Ivy Awards.

Greg Dolan, Cornell (Sr., G – Williamsville, N.Y.) 2nd Team All-Ivy
Nazir Williams, Cornell (So., G – Nyack, N.Y.) Honorable Mention

[ivyleague.com]

Date: March 11, 2023 10:26AM

Is this the day the team plays back to its potential from 2 months ago?

Date: March 11, 2023 10:51AM

upprdeck
Is this the day the team plays back to its potential from 2 months ago?

You have to hope so, but there is no real reason to think it will be.

Posted by: Mr. Niss (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2023 11:21AM

Good start. Tied and not shooting the lights out. I've been trying to determine if the last month was bad because Naz got hurt and we shot terribly or if we got figured out. The game against Columbia made me think that the latter is not the case. The fact that Yale did not come out and immediately open an 8-10 point lead while we haven't shot well from outside has me optimistic that we have a shot. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.

Date: March 11, 2023 11:32AM

the first half the year we seemed to always have that spurt where we could make 3s. its been a struggle the last 10-15 games..

Date: March 11, 2023 11:36AM

I guess I jinxed it.

When Guy is the only guy (no pun intended) making threes, things are not going according to plan.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 11:37AM by Mr. Niss.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2023 11:39AM

Yale is a sound team and plays terrific defense. We’re playing hard and doing some good things, be we have to knock down some shots to stay in this

Date: March 11, 2023 11:47AM

Just when it appeared the game might be slipping away, nice job to cut it to 3 at the half. We have a pulse.

Date: March 11, 2023 11:49AM

scoop85
Yale is a sound team and plays terrific defense. We’re playing hard and doing some good things, be we have to knock down some shots to stay in this

Could have been a lot worse, but shooting under 40% almost certainly won't get it done. Not sure where this team's shooting touch went.

Date: March 11, 2023 11:50AM

I thought Cornell did a good job of getting some wide open looks but didnt make them.. then we attacked the rim and couldnt get calls while Yale took a bunch of bad shots and got rewarded with some bad bounce rebounds, buried several 3s in a row and got 2-3 marginal calls in drives to the basket.

Hanging around is all you can ask and hope we go on the 3-4- in a row streak.

Date: March 11, 2023 12:02PM

upprdeck
I thought Cornell did a good job of getting some wide open looks but didnt make them.. then we attacked the rim and couldnt get calls while Yale took a bunch of bad shots and got rewarded with some bad bounce rebounds, buried several 3s in a row and got 2-3 marginal calls in drives to the basket.

Hanging around is all you can ask and hope we go on the 3-4- in a row streak.

Best synopsis of the half. They can't win missing wide open looks, free throws, and overcome some dubious officiating.

Date: March 11, 2023 12:04PM

aaaaaaand not the start to the second half one would have hoped for

Date: March 11, 2023 12:16PM

*If* we can hang around, and if we can make a free throw, Yale racking up the fouls early may be consequential.

Date: March 11, 2023 01:53PM

Cant expect many wins shooting 33% and the othe team shoots 60% from 3.

Date: March 11, 2023 02:10PM

upprdeck
Cant expect many wins shooting 33% and the othe team shoots 60% from 3.

Earl has done a great job squeezing decent results out of his team, but today highlighted that there’s still a talent gap between Cornell and the top of the league. The recruits coming in seem decent, but don’t look to be at the level of Yale’s guys. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Posted by: nyc94 (32.215.192.---)
Date: March 12, 2023 02:07PM

Princeton defeats Yale 74-65

Posted by: RichH (104.28.133.---)
Date: March 12, 2023 02:23PM

nyc94

NCAA Tournament bids:

Penn 24
Princeton 26
Field 28

The Ivy website used to have a nice history section, now it’s just littered with promos and the phrase “Ivy Madness,” which *barf*

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 05:47PM

nyc94

Clearly driven by the ghost of Pete Carril
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2023 05:47PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2023 04:52PM

IMO we are very fortunate to have Brian Earl as the head basketball coach and he got the most mileage out of the talent. Hoping that Imegwu the 6 foot 9 from Blair Academy commit will help the interior defense. Through the latter half of the season the Red struggled to get stops on defense and the opposing teams' shooting percentage was usually above 50%. Have not looked at the stats but Cornell's 3 point shooting percentage seemed to fall off also. I am sure the coaching staff wants to firm up the interior defense but that weakness extends back to when Courtney was coaching. Cornell cannot seem to recruit the quality bigs that Yale, Princeton, and Brown have. Dolan is a big loss but much of the talent returns. Again Kudos to Coach Earl and his staff.

Date: March 16, 2023 08:10PM

15th ranked Princeton 59 beat 2nd ranked Arizona 55 in NCAA playoff bracket game today.

Date: March 16, 2023 08:15PM

Cornell needs to find a forward than can make plays other than make a 3. the PU bigs took the ball to the hoop vs Ariz.

Date: March 16, 2023 09:20PM

I fear Princeton making a continued run in the tournament could mean their coach Mitch Henderson gets offered a higher level opening, and Brian Earl, a Princeton grad leaves Cornell to take his place.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2023 08:53AM

Ken711
I fear Princeton making a continued run in the tournament could mean their coach Mitch Henderson gets offered a higher level opening, and Brian Earl, a Princeton grad leaves Cornell to take his place.

That scenario sounds all too plausible, and I bet one win in this tournament is enough for Princeton's coach to get serious interest from other schools. If Earl goes to Princeton we'll have to watch Earl vs Donohue in the Princeton/Penn games.

Date: March 17, 2023 09:42AM

I would think that he would need to make 3-4x his cornell money to be even in costs in NJ.. maybe he likes this lifestyle up here??

Date: March 17, 2023 10:59AM

upprdeck
I would think that he would need to make 3-4x his cornell money to be even in costs in NJ.. maybe he likes this lifestyle up here??

The opportunity to coach at your alma mater and the prestige of the Princeton name in recruiting may be too much to turn down if offered a chance, regardless of the salary. Anyway, I hope he stays and can build a strong team at Cornell.

Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login