Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Football @ Columbia

Posted by semsox 
Football @ Columbia
Posted by: semsox (---.bootp.virginia.edu)
Date: November 14, 2014 11:50AM

Who'd have thought this game would be attracting so much media attention?

[fivethirtyeight.com]

Re: Football @ Columbia
Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2014 01:07PM

semsox

[fivethirtyeight.com]

Infamous attraction is more appropriate. I wish the new incoming Cornell President would expect better of Cornell's football program than the current administration seems to have.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2014 01:15PM

There are metrics beyond won-lost. USC leads Cornell on bowl appearances but also on appearances before the NCAA. Who wants that?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 14, 2014 01:29PM

Ken711
semsox

[fivethirtyeight.com]

Infamous attraction is more appropriate. I wish the new incoming Cornell President would expect better of Cornell's football program than the current administration seems to have.

I hope the new president doesn't waste her time worrying about the won/loss record of the global university's I-AA non-playoff eligible perennially non-competitive football program.

Want a better program? Find a way to make playing football in Ithaca attractive to talented athletes who could also play at other Ivy or Patriot league schools. Then raise the pile of money necessary to make that happen. Then give it time to actually work. Location, facilities, and history all seem to cut against Cornell football.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2014 06:36PM

You play to win the game.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2014 08:18AM

CAS
You play to win the game.
Although Columbia could excite its fans losing by less than 8. [www.sportbet.com]

Posted by: dbilmes (73.182.129.---)
Date: November 15, 2014 09:15AM

Doesn't the losing team today wrap up the No. 1 draft pick?

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2014 02:41PM

Geez. We just blew a 21 point lead. To Columbia. Columbia! And as I type this, we fumble the ensuing kickoff back to them. Why do I watch this? Because, as I continue this post, Columbia turns the ball back over to us. The article in the first post of this thread is right.

Date: November 15, 2014 02:44PM

After we take a penalty on first down, we get intercepted. Three turnovers in 4 plays. Ivy League Football...

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: November 15, 2014 03:16PM

...did we really block a PAT and return it for two points?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2014 03:56PM

We still take the dumbest penalties at the worst times. And too often struggle to get off a play within 35 seconds. The last drive of the first half was a prime example. QB stands around trying to figure out what to do for 20 seconds and then someone finally calls time out. Followed shortly by another 20 second delay in getting a play off while the clock is counting down the seconds in the waning seconds of the half.

Punter kicks the bad snap out of the end zone. Kickoff returner watches the kickoff land on the ground and Columbia recovers. Who coaches these guys? At least we didn't send out the punting team without a punter. Or did we?

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2014 04:35PM

Outcome never in doubt!

Re: Football @ Columbia - Cornell 30-27
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-208-69.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2014 04:36PM

Finally, a win for Cornell. Amazing first quarter. we were pushing Columbia all over the field and our defense had not yet started giving up big chunks of yardage. Ultimately, Columbia wound up giving up more big yardage plays.

How many weekends do you see Cornell score a man short goal in overtime, the basketball team start with a victory, and Cornell run back a blocked PAT try for 2 points? [edit add] and win the football game?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 05:26PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2014 09:45PM

This game was hilarious as hell.

Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: November 16, 2014 02:12PM

Cornell vs Columbia game discussed on NPR this morning. Begins at the 3:23 mark.

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2014 11:04PM

At least with the Columbia win we won't match the 1935 team for being winless.

Date: November 17, 2014 12:32AM

Ken711
At least with the Columbia win we won't match the 1935 team for being winless.

Yet, four years later they went undefeated, and won a National Championship....Maybe- Maybe we could... Naaahhh.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2014 05:17AM

Does anyone have video highlights of this game? And the time and inclination to edit them into a video with "Yakkity Sax" as the accompanyng music? :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 17, 2014 04:03PM

The entire final drive by Columbia can (and soon will) be the subject of detailed treatment, but there is no better way to describe the game than to quickly recap Columbia's last play on offense:

After completing a 14 yard pass on 3d and 22, and the clock at a bit over a minute remaining in the fourth quarter, McDonough took the snap and rolled left. Pursued by defenders, he threw the ball away, well out of bounds, in what appeared to be an effort to stop the clock. If you have forgotten where this recap started, it was fourth down. It is probably small consolation that the clock, in fact, did stop on the incomplete pass and/or change of possession.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: November 17, 2014 05:37PM

Thanks to this game being inexplicably broadcast on the ubiquitously available *cough* Fox College Sports Atlantic network, the ILDN video stream was blacked out, thus making the Columbia audio the most convenient option.

And to listen to that broadcast was to gaze into the soul of two tortured on-air announcers who for one shining moment got to play the role of homers. Two people who seemed to relish the opportunity to laud the most remarkably resiliant and talented soon-to-be 0-9 team in history and to finally -- FINALLY have an opponent to tear into for its shoddy play. Every Cornell mistake was met with guffaws and mockery (which, you know...welcome to the party), while every Columbia misfortune was followed by 10 seconds of silence. The color commentator repeated about 10 times that he had never *heard* of a PAT being run back before. It was entertaining and listenable because they were actually good at calling the action.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2014 06:34PM

RichH
The color commentator repeated about 10 times that he had never *heard* of a PAT being run back before.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 18, 2014 02:16PM

RichH
Thanks to this game being inexplicably broadcast on the ubiquitously available *cough* Fox College Sports Atlantic network, the ILDN video stream was blacked out, thus making the Columbia audio the most convenient option.

And to listen to that broadcast was to gaze into the soul of two tortured on-air announcers who for one shining moment got to play the role of homers. Two people who seemed to relish the opportunity to laud the most remarkably resiliant and talented soon-to-be 0-9 team in history and to finally -- FINALLY have an opponent to tear into for its shoddy play. Every Cornell mistake was met with guffaws and mockery (which, you know...welcome to the party), while every Columbia misfortune was followed by 10 seconds of silence. The color commentator repeated about 10 times that he had never *heard* of a PAT being run back before. It was entertaining and listenable because they were actually good at calling the action.
I listened to some of Columbia - Yale while driving a few weeks ago (or whenever it was) and I really liked this crew. It was quality commentary about the game action interspersed with gallows humor about a team that they knew was objectively bad.

Re: Football @ Columbia: Norman Chad's take
Date: November 18, 2014 09:10PM

Coach Slouch knows Columbia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login