Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 08:47AM

Good matchup. Would have been a better quarterfinal or semifinal matchup, but okay. We need the balanced attack of the first Princeton game (Pannell's 9 points split nicely among goals and assists is balanced), a great game in goal, and aggressive defensive play that doesn't lead to penalties. Lacrosse Magazine makes the case for either team being able to win and concludes Cornell is the more likely.

(I started this thread because the NCAA lacrosse tournament thread has been hacked.)

Also: [www.pressboxonline.com] predicts Cornell will double Maryland 12-6. But then it also projects two of the eight games will go to OT before (surprise) the favorite wins: Denver over Albany in a 29-goal game, and UNC over Lehigh. Other than Cornell, it projects two upsets: Loyola over Duke by 4 and Towson over TOSU by 2. (Small sample size, but in this story odds of winning seem to be related to which team is closer to Baltimore, our game excepted.) Be nice if a couple prognosticators picked Maryland just so the Terps don't feel they have something else to prove.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 09:44AM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013
Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 09:00AM

Interesting article. Didnt think that some would predict such a large margin of victory for Cornell.

Posted by: Redscore (208.251.135.---)
Date: May 10, 2013 09:16AM

Feels like most people favor Cornell. If one was a pessimist, which i try not to be, this feels to me a bit like the NCAA game against Virginia a couple of years back. Really sucks to meet up like this in the first round and I have nothing but contempt for the NCAA lacrosse selection board. The goal is clearly to spread the sport around and fairness goes out the window. All kinds of crappy computer based logic gets thrown around, and even leaving aside the GIGO rule, the same crappy logic gets ignored selectively to engineer the result that they desire.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 09:24AM

I disagree with the assessment that most people are going Cornell. Almost every single prognostication I've seen has this a one-goal game, and most have Maryland coming out on top. I'll be at the game, and while certainly not going in expecting a win, if this team is going to be the one left standing on Memorial Day (which they certainly are capable of), they're going to have to beat the best along the way, and it starts on Sunday.

Because of the strengths of our team, I tend to think a team like Maryland is actually an ok matchup for us. Regardless of how good their defense or Amato is, I'm very confident in our team being able to hang 10 goals+ on anybody. The teams that scare me more are the ones that can light it up equally as well as us (think UNC, Albany), as it seems our defensive communication and goaltending have been the thing that has let us down the most in our losses. I hope that the team has a sense of the moment and comes out flying. We saw them play about as well as they could on the big stage in the Big City Classic vs. Princeton, so I'm hoping for a repeat of that performance. LGR

Date: May 10, 2013 09:41AM

I think the NCAA selection committe wanted to see Cornell-Maryland play this season, two storied teams, two teams coached by Cornell alums, two teams with a championship drought. Perhaps they figured, with all the parity this season, unexpected upsets, etc., this would be the only way to guarantee it.

Date: May 10, 2013 09:47AM

The threadbare NCAA declares money is an issue thus the overall top seed gets the second-worst team; instead Notre Dame not Syracuse gets 5-8 Detroit. Bus rides where possible in the first rounds.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 12:23PM

Inside Lacrosse staff first-round picks: [insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 01:45PM

If there's one thing that is like crack to most sports media, it's individual stars in team sports. Cornell has someone who is arguably the biggest star in collegiate lacrosse this year. Regardless of whether they've seen them play, every single preview/prediction is going to focus on the "can the Pannell/Mock machine be stopped?" Sure, some will go deeper and analyze the depth and team weaknesses (of which there are several striking ones that we've discussed here), but in the end, everybody wants to write/talk about an electric scoring attack and either consciously or sub-consciously wants to see these guys playing on Memorial Day weekend. Of course they're vulnerable, but if the label of "one of the best ever" is going to be thrown around, that's going to be buried in their heads when making "picks", and they want to see it for themselves.

Frankly, the talk about Maryland being a patient, possession-focused team scares me. Cornell can't score if we don't get the ball, and many of our shots are of the "spectacular" flavor, instead of positional plays and waiting for high-percentage opportunities. That front line seems to take a lot more low-percentage shots, because they simply have the talent to turn low-percentage shots into a higher success rate. The Harvard game showed me that we're willing to take a lot of penalties, too. That will cause nothing but trouble now that we're playing with the big boys.

All that said, I think that all the hype about RP-SM can get into an opponent's head, leaving the door open for our middies to have a nice showing. I actually trust Max VB, Buczek, and English a great deal going into this tournament, and the fact that RP had an explosive game last week only helps. As always, it's not going to be the offense that will cost Cornell. What will cost us is if the defensive corps can't stay disciplined and clean, and if "Bad AJ" shows up instead of "Good AJ."

And for fucks sake, win some face-offs. Please.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 02:08PM by RichH.

Re: Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013 - other 1st round Saturday
Date: May 11, 2013 11:23PM

Saturday 5/11 first round games

UNC 16, Lehigh 7 (Lehigh led 2-1 after one, got blown out in the second and that was all for the Patriot League)
Notre Dame 9, Detroit 7 (Detroit led 5-1 at the half, 7-3 after 3)
Yale 10, Penn State 7 (Penn State 5-1 at the half)
Denver 19, Albany 14 (tied 3-3 after one, the Denver steadily built its lead in the second and and had the final 5-goal margin after three).

Yale was the only lower seed to win. Notre Dame needed a 6-0 fourth quarter to stave off the biggest upset ever (probably ever) in NCAA lax tournament history. This was a 5-9 Detroit team coming in to the game. The season is now over for Lyle Thompson of Albany (4 goals), probably one of two Tewaaraton leaders along with Rob Pannell.

Cornell-Maryland is at 1 pm Sunday. Winner meets the Ohio State - Towson winner (3 pm Sunday). College Park, Md., forecast for Sunday: partly cloudy, 66 degrees. LGR.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2013 11:25PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2013 10:03AM

Notre Dame also needed a bit of help from the officials.

Posted by: Thomas Larson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2013 02:17PM

I believe you mean "the The Ohio State." They're very particular about that "The".

Cornell up 7-4 early third quarter. Looking strong defensively. Fiore with some big saves. Pannell his usual brilliant self. Three goals already and two assists.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 12, 2013 02:21PM

Feels like they should be up more given the face off success and good D/goalie play. We'll see if it comes back to bite them.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 12, 2013 02:34PM

Is there any objective criteria for stall warnings?

Seems like we're running the same offense as in the first half, but now being called for it, perhaps because we're leading and it's later in the game?

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2013 03:04PM

Jordan 04
Is there any objective criteria for stall warnings?
Short answer: no. Rule 6, section 11:
The rule book
SECTION 11. a. It shall be the responsibility of the team in possession to try and create a scoring opportunity.
Exception: If the offensive team has the ball in the attack area and the defensive team is not playing the ball, no stall warning will be issued until either (1) the defensive team attempts to play the ball or (2) the offensive team brings the ball outside the attack area. However, a stall warning may be issued when the offensive team has the ball outside the attack area or below the goal line extended regardless of whether the defensive team is playing the ball.
PENALTY – When a team in possession of the ball in its offensive half of the field is given a stall warning, the team is required to take a shot within 30 seconds. A shot is defined as an attempt to score that is on goal (saved by the goalkeeper, rebound off of the goalkeeper, hits the goal pipe, or goal scored). If the 30 seconds expires without a shot on goal, the ball is awarded to the defensive team.
This is a change from prior years, where the stall warning automatically went on in the final two minutes if the team was leading, as well as when the officials judged it necessary.

Re: Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013 - C16-8
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-192-129.myvzw.com)
Date: May 12, 2013 03:40PM

Great effort by Cornell, which did lots of little things right, plus the face-off margin, plus Maryland making lots of little mistakes that help them stay out of reach. Plus it seemed as if Cornell had more fans in the stadium than Maryland. Somebody forgot to tell Maryland band show up.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 03:42PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (24.229.69.---)
Date: May 12, 2013 08:19PM

I haven't yelled at the TV like that in a while. It was so good to hear Davy played over and over again. banana

43-29 on ground balls. 16 of 26 on faceoffs. And where was that defense all year?

No Maryland schools left in the tournament! Tee hee.

Date: May 12, 2013 09:16PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I haven't yelled at the TV like that in a while. It was so good to hear Davy played over and over again. banana

43-29 on ground balls. 16 of 26 on faceoffs. And where was that defense all year?

No Maryland schools left in the tournament! Tee hee.
The closest Maryland link, and this is about the limit of six degrees, is Jeff's last name. Tee-hee ^2

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2013 09:27PM

The momentum of the game seemed to change after the Pannell goal.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013 - photos
Date: May 13, 2013 01:02AM

Cornell (13-3)    4  2  4  6 -- 16
Maryland (10-4)   1  3  2  2 --  8

What I saw at the game:

Doug Tesoriero was a monster on faceoffs: 15 of 25.

One moment Rob Pannell is held in check ...

... a stutter steep, he's free, and scores 20 seconds after Maryland had pulled to within one, 4-3.

... only the Big Red band showed up. What a surprise.

... Maryland fans bought into the idea that if you neutralize Pannell, then Cornell is beatable (and cheered loudly each time Pannell made a feint toward the net that backed off). Here a double-team shakes Pannell free from the ball ... except ...

... Connor Buczek charges in and maintains the Cornell possession. Cornell won the battle of ground balls 43-29.

Mock and Pannell return the favor and shake the ball loose from Casey Ikeda.

Scary moment: A pass back to goalie AJ Fiore to set up the clear doesn't reach, Maryland pounces, but the Big Red cavalry rides back to help Fiore, and Cornell picks up this ground ball. If Maryland converted, it would have cut Cornell's margin to 8-6 midway through the third period. Instead, Jason Noble legs it upfield and Connor Engish makes it 9-5.

Hustle: Jason Noble returns possession to Cornell after an errant Maryland shot late in the third and Maryland still within striking distance ...

The turning point: Rob Pannell makes it 10-6 with 37 seconds left in the third period. Photo is just before the shot, a turnaround no-look.

Nobody's perfect. Pannell misses this shot. He finishes the day with 4 goals (on 5 shots, the stat sheet says), 3 assists. Mock was 4-0-4; he's now at 52 goals and Pannell at 40.

Goalie AJ Fiore makes 12 saves, allows 8 goals. (This one got by him near side.) Maryland's two goalies allowed 16 goals, made 10 saves.

After Steve Mock scores his 51st goal of 2013 to make it 13-7, Doug Tesoriereo (above) grabs another faceoff, charges the Maryland goal, dishes off to Mock ...

... and Mock stuffs it to make it 14-7. Elapsed time between goals (official scoresheet says): a Cornell record 5 seconds ...

... the celebration begins a bit. The Terps are down by 7 with 6:58 to play.

4 minutes to play, long pole Thomas Keith lets fly to make it 15-7 ...

... and with his first goal celebrates being just 22 back of Matt Donovan (foreground, #30).

Game over, final score 16-8, and Cornell salutes the heavily Cornell contingent among the 2,739 in Byrd Stadium (capacity 54,000).

Can there be anyone happier than Richie Moran, a key player on Maryland's 1959 national championship team, then Cornell's coach and winner of three NCAA titles?

Cornell legends: Moran walks off the field at Byrd Stadium with Rob Pannell and Matt Donovan. They'll be back next Saturday at Byrd Stadium facing the #3 seed, (The) Ohio State University, 16-6 winner over Towson. Maryland was the 5-seed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 02:01AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 05:48AM

Several pre- and post-game articles here from the Baltimore Sun: [www.baltimoresun.com]

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 06:59AM

Al DeFlorio
Several pre- and post-game articles here from the Baltimore Sun: [www.baltimoresun.com]

Any game highlight video out there??

cheer

Got it!!

[www.youtube.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 07:53AM by Johnny 5.

Date: May 13, 2013 08:59AM

A bit surprised by the lopsided score yesterday. Could have been 17-8 since on the last possession, looked like a Cornell player, at point blank range with an open Maryland net, simply held the ball.

One could argue that the Cornell offense really is #1 in the country when you think about a number of games where Cornell purposefully did not score, or a Cornell TO was called to eradicate a Cornell goal when Cornell had a massive blowout lead.

Good to see how Cornell fared against an elite defense. It's been a while since Maryland last gave up that many goals. I think the Ohio State game will be a tougher game than Maryland. Actually glad they are playing tOSU in Maryland; I would imagine that playing on a field where they had success the week before could be a further confidence booster.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 09:52AM

Bill, those photos are amazing, as usual. Thank you again for providing these after the games, they are always of tremendous interest.

That photo of Richie Moran is priceless.

The surface looks like it's studded with silver flecks. Is it artificial?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 09:54AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 11:58AM

Excellent pictures as always, Bill.

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: May 13, 2013 04:47PM

An outstanding photo capture of key moments of the afternoon. Richie with his arms around the guys is a classic! Thank you for posting.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2013 11:49PM

French Rage

Which one? wow

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: May 14, 2013 12:28PM

Trotsky

Yes. Probably it's FieldTurf (tm), which has plastic blades with a bit of gloss which reflects on a bright sunny day. Also zillions of tiny rubber particles that get in your hair. All your hair.uhoh

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2013 01:05PM

TimV
Trotsky

Yes. Probably it's FieldTurf (tm), which has plastic blades with a bit of gloss which reflects on a bright sunny day. Also zillions of tiny rubber particles that get in your hair. All your hair.uhoh
Byrd Stadium has FieldTurf, yes.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:31PM

Swampy
French Rage

Which one? wow

Exactly.

No I'm kidding. I meant the behind the back one. Maryland seemed to lose something in their step after that and the game blew open.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 14, 2013 02:42PM

TimV
Trotsky
When I walk off the field, I'm carrying dozens of rubber granules in each shoe. You start and stop a lot, saying you're playing a high-energy contest, you probably walk off with hundreds. Somebody ought to invent FieldTurf gaiters.

Re: Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013 - more photos
Date: May 14, 2013 02:53PM

Four goals, three assists, and second in the halftime limbo contest for RP3.

Here's the director's cut of photos from the Cornell-Maryland game, which despite the word "cut" always means more photos, not less: billhoward.phanfare.com/cornellsports

Fiore for the defense.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 03:30PM

For those who missed it:

Re: Cornell-Maryland NCAA lax 2013 - Terps fans cheered too soon
Date: May 14, 2013 03:44PM

Notice how Pannell goes back-forth behind the goal. Maryland fans consider this a sign of success. They cheer. They cheer too soon.

Nice on those days when we're the windshield and they're the bug.

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.105.135.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 04:45PM

It certainly seems that Pannell has been letting it all hang out the last few games, as he remarked after the first game against Princeton. As others had commented on during the season, it seemed like he was previously holding back or, worse, had lost a step.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2013 04:45PM

Well that's just a fantastic goal. Any chance we can find some black magic to get him a few more years of eligibility?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 05:26PM

Josh '99
Well that's just a fantastic goal. Any chance we can find some black magic to get him a few more years of eligibility?
For what purpose did we build the country's best animal science department if not for cloning?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 05:27PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 08:03PM

JasonN95
It certainly seems that Pannell has been letting it all hang out the last few games, as he remarked after the first game against Princeton. As others had commented on during the season, it seemed like he was previously holding back or, worse, had lost a step.

Yes. I felt the same thing. This pre-tournament article confirms things. It's a good read:

[blog.syracuse.com]

He decided at the start of the year he would let the Big Red's true seniors run things how they saw fit and adjust his leadership style accordingly. In games, he tried to defer to his teammates as much as he could.

As the season drew to a close, however, head coach Ben DeLuca told Pannell it was time to start asserting himself in the offense. He finally got full confidence back in his injured foot in the week leading up to Cornell's last regular season game, and with the offense again running through him, Pannell and the Big Red feel that he is back to his true form...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 08:06PM by RichH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login