Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Ivy League Digital Streaming Service

Posted by scoop85 
New Ivy League Digital Streaming Service
Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:01AM

It looks like the end of Redcast!

Re: New Ivy League Digital Streaming Service
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:07AM

scoop85
It looks like the end of Redcast!

No, sounds like "Son of Redcast." According to the article the programming will come from each University's existing production teams.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 08:49AM

price will be interesting to see.. the ACC does much of its stuff for free, the ivy has huge numbers of kids going to school for free the going rate is about $10 for schools doing it on their own. with the league all in it together does the price become lower?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 11:06AM

upprdeck
price will be interesting to see.. the ACC does much of its stuff for free, the ivy has huge numbers of kids going to school for free the going rate is about $10 for schools doing it on their own. with the league all in it together does the price become lower?
Lower prices? You jest. The Ivy League sees more value since you now can follow your team on the road for no additonal charge, plus see today's exciting Dartmouth-Brown game for who doesn't finish last in Ivy lax. Which means they'll charge more, not less, for the annual package. I bet they're thinking about how $99 and $149 would play. It would be nice if they had a student discount, like half off. My guess is they'd start at ~$100 a year.

Be nice if the consortium imposed minimum quality standards on underperforming schools.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 11:34AM

billhoward
Be nice if the consortium imposed minimum quality standards on underperforming schools video production teams.

FYP.

Date: April 27, 2013 10:20PM

This got past me on first read. Calling it the Ivy League Digital Network seems excessively verbose. There is no Ivy League analog network. They probably realized the eIvy Network with the circled-e would sound too 1990s.

Also waiting to see if some revenue-enhancement twit succeeded in making this self-renewing with the option to follow a rabbit-hole menu tree online to opt out.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2013 12:31PM

billhoward
This got past me on first read. Calling it the Ivy League Digital Network seems excessively verbose. There is no Ivy League analog network. They probably realized the eIvy Network with the circled-e would sound too 1990s.

Also waiting to see if some revenue-enhancement twit succeeded in making this self-renewing with the option to follow a rabbit-hole menu tree online to opt out.
If you called it the "Ivy League Network" the first thing that would come to mind would be a TV network, IMO.

Date: April 28, 2013 01:23PM

Josh '99
billhoward

If you called it the "Ivy League Network" the first thing that would come to mind would be a TV network, IMO.
Josh, that's my point, too, from a different angle. Some day if not today, no difference, between video over the Internet and TV. In the meantime, it's all digital anyway. You'd be laughed out of the office if your secretary (what's that?) came up, interrupted your meeting, and said, "It's Mr. Jensen. He's calling long distance from Los Angeles." Up until about years ago, Motor Trend ended stories with italic lines, "Click here to go the Ford world wide web site," as if their users could not figure how to get there othewise (this was the follow-on to the reader response card in a magazine, where you circled numbers linked to advertisers, mailed it back, and 4 to 8 weeks later, literature arrived). Putting a circled-e in front of a word is sounding archaic now. I may be more older and therefore extra cautious not to use references that date me. I no longer say, "How about that Wham! concert."

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 04:38PM

Josh '99
billhoward

It sounds more like a golf tournament for human resources managers of Wall Street investment banks.

Date: April 28, 2013 05:27PM

"Ivy Network" is also the name of the ad consortium representing Cornell Alumni Magazine, the other Ivies, and a couple other high end college mags that combined put circ over 1 million which is the point where ad buyers take notice. So this is the Ivy Sports Network unless somehow the Ivies sold the rights to a third party and didn't put a limit on length of use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login