Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell sports injuries to key players

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell sports injuries to key players
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 02:14PM

Of Cornell's greatest athletes, how many have had their careers or seasons ended by injuries? Until Rob Pannell, we've been pretty lucky going back to Ken Dryden and Ed Marinaro, Eamon McEneaney and Mike French, and Max Seibald. Have we lost a Hobey-caliber hockey player in the last decade to anything other than early departure? Maybe in wrestling?

Re: Cornell sports injuries to key players
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2012 02:20PM

In the last decade, perhaps the only example I can think of is George Boiardi, who died in 2004 when his heart stopped after a lacrosse ball impacted on his chest during a game against Binghamton.

The other grievous instance I can think of is Greg Ratushny, Dan's younger brother, who - before he could play a single minute of hockey for Cornell - was killed in a car accident in 1992.

Hockey player Vinnie Auger also redshirted for a year after, IIRC, a back injury.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 02:21PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 08:59AM

This is not a Cornell sports injury, but one that impacted Cornell sports. UVa's Steele Stanwick was plagued by injuries during the 2011 lacrosse season. I would be thrilled if Rob's 2012 season played out the same way.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: March 08, 2012 04:35PM

Chad Levitt broke his arm against Columbia just a few yards shy of breaking (IIRC) the Ivy League rushing record.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 10:03PM

The guy I think of when it comes to great Cornell athletes and tough season-ending injuries is guard Adam Gore, Ivy men's basketball Rookie of the Year in 2006ish (I think he broke Cornell's freshman scoring record). He tore an ACL in one knee early in his sophomore (?) season, then tore an ACL in his other knee early in his senior season. He could've been one of Cornell's best ever.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 11:22PM

Adam is a good call Hillel. Gore was 2006 ROY, tore his ACL late in game one of his sophomore season (opening the door for another great guard, Louis Dale) and was never quite the same. He certainly could have qualified for a fifth year and been part of the 2010 team, but he was so tired of rehab that he moved on with the rest of his life (and opened the door for early PT for Wrobo).

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 12:53AM

And this of course leads to the terrible injury to Khaliq Gant, which ultimately led to the transfer of Jeff Foote.

[www.news.cornell.edu]
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 01:57AM

Hillel Hoffmann
The guy I think of when it comes to great Cornell athletes and tough season-ending injuries is guard Adam Gore, Ivy men's basketball Rookie of the Year in 2006ish (I think he broke Cornell's freshman scoring record). He tore an ACL in one knee early in his sophomore (?) season, then tore an ACL in his other knee early in his senior season. He could've been one of Cornell's best ever.
Thanks. This is the kind of player I was thinking of. Also Chad Levitt. As Cornell approaches its 150th, there'll surely be lists of 150 greatest Cornellians and 150 greatest athletes. I was thinking of athletes who could have been among the 150 but for injury.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: March 09, 2012 07:41AM

billhoward
Hillel Hoffmann
Thanks. This is the kind of player I was thinking of. Also Chad Levitt. As Cornell approaches its 150th, there'll surely be lists of 150 greatest Cornellians and 150 greatest athletes. I was thinking of athletes who could have been among the 150 but for injury.

Errick Peck just this season. Had he played it's unlikely Miller would have received nearly as much PT, and hence no Ivy Rookie of the Year award.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 01:25PM

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but Joe Dragon missed all but 3 games of his freshman year due to a knee injury I think. He went on to lead the team in scoring his sophomore year. Paul Dukovac "fell down the stairs" (if you believe that) his senior year and missed all but 8 games with a broken leg I think, ending his Cornell career. He was a top 4 defenseman his senior year. These are the key injuries from '88-'92 that I remember.

These are not Hobey caliber players obviously but they were key injuries and analogous to the Auger example above. Greg Ratushny's death was awful, so young and such a great family.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 06:11PM

Bruce Cohen '65 missed the 1964 lacrosse season with a leg injury (break?), stayed on for a fifth year in the Mechanical Engineering program to get a B.M.E. instead of a B.S. after four, and was named first-team All-American in 1966. Bruce led the Ivy League in scoring in 1963, 1965, and 1966, and was subsequently elected to the lacrosse hall of fame.

That very much unnoticed and unappreciated 1966 team had two hall-of-famers, Bruce and goalie Butch Hilliard '68. TimV can tell us about Butch, his classmate and teammate, and as good a lacrosse goalie as I have ever seen.banana

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 08:52PM

Al DeFlorio
Bruce Cohen '65 missed the 1964 lacrosse season with a leg injury (break?), stayed on for a fifth year in the Mechanical Engineering program to get a B.M.E. instead of a B.S. after four, and was named first-team All-American in 1966. Bruce led the Ivy League in scoring in 1963, 1965, and 1966, and was subsequently elected to the lacrosse hall of fame.

That very much unnoticed and unappreciated 1966 team had two hall-of-famers, Bruce and goalie Butch Hilliard '68. TimV can tell us about Butch, his classmate and teammate, and as good a lacrosse goalie as I have ever seen.banana

Butch was also an enjineer.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 11:19PM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio

Butch was also an enjineer.
And a damn smart one - had like a 3.9 majoring in Engineering Physics in the days when the average GPA was 2.5 - 2.6. He was my dorm counselor 2nd semester of my freshmen year. A real nice guy and a great goalie. He credited Ned's motivational skills as the reason for the team's success.

Posted by: TimV (---.sub-174-255-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2012 09:43AM

Don't forget the strong bench on those teams.;-);-)

Butch was great not just as a stopper - he was great on the clear. He could put the ball on your ear hole when you were 40 to 50 yards downfield. Lotsa fast breaks.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2012 10:17AM

TimV
Don't forget the strong bench on those teams.;-);-)

Butch was great not just as a stopper - he was great on the clear. He could put the ball on your ear hole when you were 40 to 50 yards downfield. Lotsa fast breaks.
Those clearing passes are what I remember best about Butch. First a save, then off to the races. Lacrosse at its finest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login