Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's Basketball 67 Princeton 59

Posted by mountainred 
Men's Basketball 67 Princeton 59
Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 10:36AM

A nice win for the hoops team deserved a shout out.

I know correlation is not necessarily evidence of causation, but I can't help but think that the Big Red first rate second half (39-30) is at least slightly related to their taking just three three point shots in the half (missed them all). Cornell penetrated at will, though they paid for some of those drives as the Tigers blocked 9 shots. Cornell's pressure really bothered Princeton and the Big Red just looked quicker. That quickness helped on the boards, as Cornell outrebounded the much taller Tigers 42-41.

And this wasn't just a last hurrah by the seniors; 'ski was his usual steady self, but Ferry was way off (0 points). Of the 11 guys who played, 6 were freshman or sophomores and Miller (Fr.), Cancer (Fr.) and Tarwater (Soph.) combined for 39 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks and 3 steals.

The only real downside (and Al be glad you were paying attention to hockey) was that Princeton turned this into a free throw shooting contest for the last 2:30 and Cornell was a painful 8 of 17 at the line. Awful way to end the game.

Re: Men's Basketball 67 Princeton 59
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 10:42AM

mountainred
The only real downside (and Al be glad you were paying attention to hockey) was that Princeton turned this into a free throw shooting contest for the last 2:30 and Cornell was a painful 8 of 17 at the line. Awful way to end the game.
red, I watched every minute of the bball game, including the foul line fiasco. Amazing they could overcome that shooting display. Princeton must still be shaking their heads they couldn't come back at the end given the 8 for 17 at the line.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 02:50PM

Yeah doesnt appear they will fix the foul line issues for the rest of the season which will prevent any lead from being safe. Although most of the free throw problem is Cancer and Princeton seemed to let Cancer get the inbounds at end because they knew he was a terrible free throw shooter.

We have been saying it all year we wish they took less 3's and they finally did in that 2nd half. Disappointing game from Ferry, he chucked his usual bad transition 3 and was real weak on those 2 free throws at the end, missing both, the 2nd one barely hit the front of the rim. They didnt make the free throws at the end of the game but they did grab the key rebounds that could have been the difference in some of those games during that 5 game road stretch. It was also a good surprise to see them not foul much for once, Eitan was in his usual foul trouble but the team fouls were low.

Hopefully tonight they will play a similar game as that 2nd half, rebound, dont foul a lot, and dont shoot so many 3's

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: January 14, 2012 03:35PM

I'd love to figure out what's up with Eitan. He's one of the nicest people I've ever met, but he just can't stop getting into foul trouble. Very odd.

Good performance overall, except the already-mentioned FT shooting. I said to one of my friends during a game last year that we should just spend the off-season at the foul line. I guess we didn't, or it didn't work.

Date: January 14, 2012 06:02PM

interesting stat from Delaney:

Last night was the first time in 43 Bill-Courtney coached games that CU: shot higher FG pct + outRB + more FTA + fewer TOs than opponent.

Date: January 14, 2012 06:26PM

phillysportsfan
Yeah doesnt appear they will fix the foul line issues for the rest of the season which will prevent any lead from being safe. Although most of the free throw problem is Cancer and Princeton seemed to let Cancer get the inbounds at end because they knew he was a terrible free throw shooter.

We have been saying it all year we wish they took less 3's and they finally did in that 2nd half. Disappointing game from Ferry, he chucked his usual bad transition 3 and was real weak on those 2 free throws at the end, missing both, the 2nd one barely hit the front of the rim. They didnt make the free throws at the end of the game but they did grab the key rebounds that could have been the difference in some of those games during that 5 game road stretch. It was also a good surprise to see them not foul much for once, Eitan was in his usual foul trouble but the team fouls were low.

Hopefully tonight they will play a similar game as that 2nd half, rebound, dont foul a lot, and dont shoot so many 3's

I would hope they learned that last night's formula was a good one, but who knows. Penn is backcourt driven, so I hope Eitan can stay on the floor for more than 11 minutes.

The FT shooting was a team effort, no one could make two in a row down the stretch. Eric Taylor was saying that Cancer was a 70% FT shooter in high school and the basket is the same height and the line is the same distance at this level. He must have caught the same bug as Ferry, who shot 80% last year and is under 50% for this year.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 04:54PM

Current Bracketology has Ivy Champ (UPenn) as a 16 seed and Harvard as a 9 seed. Will be interesting to see if Harvard makes it through the conference with 2 losses if the Ivies get 2 teams in the tourney. Highly unlikely in the end, but still fun to watch this year given the hot start.

[espn.go.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 05:27PM

Shonn Miller is Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Cornell freshman forward Shonn Miller (Euclid, Ohio) was fantastic in his first Ivy League weekend, averaging 15.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 1.0 steals while shooting 57 percent from the floor for the Big Red in two starts. In the victory over defending Ivy co-champion Princeton, Miller scored 12 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked three shots while also dishing out an assist and stealing a pass. He answered that with 19 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks against Penn, hitting 8-of-13 shots from the floor.

Date: January 17, 2012 01:26AM

David Harding
Shonn Miller is Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

Cornell freshman forward Shonn Miller (Euclid, Ohio) was fantastic in his first Ivy League weekend, averaging 15.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 1.0 steals while shooting 57 percent from the floor for the Big Red in two starts. In the victory over defending Ivy co-champion Princeton, Miller scored 12 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked three shots while also dishing out an assist and stealing a pass. He answered that with 19 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks against Penn, hitting 8-of-13 shots from the floor.

Definitely a lot to look forward to with Miller, Cancer, Cherry over the next few years, can only hope Bunce and Harmon are as good as advertised

Posted by: dbilmes (69.183.40.---)
Date: January 17, 2012 06:22AM

Does anyone know why our schedule changed this year? For as long as I can remember, we opened our Ivy season with a home-and-home series against Columbia on consecutive Saturdays. This year, we opened with a weekend series against Penn and Princeton. I actually like it better this way, but I was curious as to why the schedule was changed.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 08:33AM

dbilmes
Does anyone know why our schedule changed this year? For as long as I can remember, we opened our Ivy season with a home-and-home series against Columbia on consecutive Saturdays. This year, we opened with a weekend series against Penn and Princeton. I actually like it better this way, but I was curious as to why the schedule was changed.

To accommodate Princeton's exam schedule, apparently.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 17, 2012 11:40AM

Is anyone else going to the Columbia game on Saturday?

Date: January 18, 2012 05:34AM

scoop85
dbilmes

Does anyone here understand why Princeton takes their exams a month after the semester is over besides the fact that they dont want to conform to what probably every other college in this country does? I would hate to have to take exams after winter break, no closure of the semester and you feel the need to have to study everyday on what is supposed to be winter break

Princeton really screwed up the women's basketball schedule, Cornell traveled to Princeton on 1/13 and then has to go back to Penn on 1/29
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 05:37AM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 07:19AM

phillysportsfan
scoop85
dbilmes

Does anyone here understand why Princeton takes their exams a month after the semester is over besides the fact that they dont want to conform to what probably every other college in this country does? I would hate to have to take exams after winter break, no closure of the semester and you feel the need to have to study everyday on what is supposed to be winter break

Princeton really screwed up the women's basketball schedule, Cornell traveled to Princeton on 1/13 and then has to go back to Penn on 1/29
This is exactly how Cornell--and most if not all Ivies except, perhaps, Dartmouth and its quarterly semesters--scheduled semesters and exams back in the 60s. Unlike others, Princeton retains that calendar. Frankly, I preferred it.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 10:33AM

Al DeFlorio
phillysportsfan
scoop85
dbilmes

This is exactly how Cornell--and most if not all Ivies except, perhaps, Dartmouth and its quarterly semesters--scheduled semesters and exams back in the 60s. Unlike others, Princeton retains that calendar. Frankly, I preferred it.

Ditto.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 08:01AM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio
phillysportsfan
scoop85
dbilmes

Ditto.
I never liked it at the time, for exactly the reasons that phillysportsfan said. I never really did work over break, but felt the long break was not good for continuity. However I also never participated under the current plan, and have often wondered whether things seemed, or were, rushed at the end of the semester. I also don't know if I'd like to start school before Labor Day. My memory is poor on this, but I think we started afterwards. True?

Date: January 19, 2012 11:33PM

Things were rushed at the end between finishing up final projects and taking finals but there was closure to the semester immediately. I would have hated to have to deal with having to work over break

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:10AM

Holiday break, back for a bit of class, exams, another break, then spring semester starting late January made sense mostly if you lived nearby, not so good if you were from California. One reason for Cornell's switch in early 1970s was to avoid heating campus for 3-4 of the coldest months. (Except the first oil shock hit in 1973 and I think Cornell shifted a year or two before, so high energy prices weren't the intial trigger.) The Dartmouth quarterly plan still makes more sense since school can start after Labor Day yet you're done before Xmas, you're carring 3-4 not 4-5 courses, you get a spring break longer than a week, and you get to be in Ithaca in the summer when it's nicest. (Dartmouth requires you spend at least one summer semester there.) Quarterly plan also lets you increase enrollment by about 10% without adding more buildings. Not sure how the faculty likes year-round school; they probably have an opinion on it.

But the quarterly system doesn't seem to be catching on and at least one northeast school is switching back from quarterly to semesters.

Do students / alumni under 30 think it odd you have to start school in late August, or is that just the way it's always been?

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:16AM

billhoward
Holiday break, back for a bit of class, exams, another break, then spring semester starting late January made sense mostly if you lived nearby, not so good if you were from California. One reason for Cornell's switch in early 1970s was to avoid heating campus for 3-4 of the coldest months. (Except the first oil shock hit in 1973 and I think Cornell shifted a year or two before, so high energy prices weren't the intial trigger.) The Dartmouth quarterly plan still makes more sense since school can start after Labor Day yet you're done before Xmas, you're carring 3-4 not 4-5 courses, you get a spring break longer than a week, and you get to be in Ithaca in the summer when it's nicest. (Dartmouth requires you spend at least one summer semester there.) Quarterly plan also lets you increase enrollment by about 10% without adding more buildings. Not sure how the faculty likes year-round school; they probably have an opinion on it.

But the quarterly system doesn't seem to be catching on and at least one northeast school is switching back from quarterly to semesters.

Do students / alumni under 30 think it odd you have to start school in late August, or is that just the way it's always been?
Pretty much just the way it's been for us, but I like it. I'd much rather be done my exams and have nothing to worry about over break, unless I choose to take a winter session course.

Date: January 20, 2012 11:52AM

css228
Pretty much just the way it's been for us, but I like it. I'd much rather be done my exams and have nothing to worry about over break, unless I choose to take a winter session course.
A month off lets you do an intersession course right after Christmas. Similarly, with school ending in mid-May, you can take a class or two in May-June and still have summer ahead of you. Some schools even urge you to do that to cut your courseload during the school year. Syracuse suggested to Class of 2015 admits that they take summer courses before starting their actual four years. No, you can't apply the school year tuition toward summer courses.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 10:50PM

billhoward
css228
A month off lets you do an intersession course right after Christmas. Similarly, with school ending in mid-May, you can take a class or two in May-June and still have summer ahead of you. Some schools even urge you to do that to cut your course load during the school year. Syracuse suggested to Class of 2015 admits that they take summer courses before starting their actual four years. No, you can't apply the school year tuition toward summer courses.
There are several Cornell summer courses aimed at rising freshman. [www.sce.cornell.edu]

Date: January 21, 2012 08:00AM

Doesn't (didn't?) Cornell lean on some rising freshmen with special circumstances such as a family with no previous college history, or a HS with a minority of graduates going to college, to use the summer before for a transition-to-Cornell experience. That seems a good thing. Ditto for getting ahead in general. Maybe I read the Syracuse letter wrong when our son showed it to us, but the intent seemed more along the lines of, "Wouldn't it be nice if you could sail through freshmen year taking 12 credits each semester ... 'course, you'll owe us an extra six grand for the summer school courses." There ought to be a discount for time-shifting your coursework.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:54PM

billhoward
Doesn't (didn't?) Cornell lean on some rising freshmen with special circumstances such as a family with no previous college history, or a HS with a minority of graduates going to college, to use the summer before for a transition-to-Cornell experience. That seems a good thing. Ditto for getting ahead in general. Maybe I read the Syracuse letter wrong when our son showed it to us, but the intent seemed more along the lines of, "Wouldn't it be nice if you could sail through freshmen year taking 12 credits each semester ... 'course, you'll owe us an extra six grand for the summer school courses." There ought to be a discount for time-shifting your coursework.

The idea of taking 2 courses before freshman year to cut the load from 10 to 8 courses during the academic year is a good one, if it does not cost extra. It fits in with other policies designed to make the transition easier (no rush in Fall Semester, no cars for frosh, etc.). If faculty members could also teach two courses each per summer as an elected part of their normal teaching duties and then devote a full semester during the academic year to research, it could be win-win.

These days colleges are trying to find revenue everywhere. The Syracuse summer program and most of the courses offered by Cornell seem more oriented to generating income than to helping high-school to college transition.

But students can also game the system. Take 5 courses over two summers for $15K, graduate in 3.5 years, and save half a year in tuition & fees. An ever more cost-effective strategy is to take the summer courses at the local community college or public university while living at home. Your grades will probably be higher than in courses offered at Cornell, and the cost will be much lower. Very few employers or graduate schools will ever care, much less know, that 1/8 of your credits for your Cornell degree were taken elsewhere.

Of course the quality of the courses is another matter. Better not take them in required prerequisites.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 03:13PM

I'm sure it is expensive to take summer classes if you take them at Syracuse but you don't have to. You can save money by taking a few summer classes at a community college or state school in your hometown. I took my ILR writing requirement over the summer at Queens College.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 10:57PM

I'm not starting a thread to say that Cornell can play defense but can't shoot worth a damn. Lost to Columbia tonight in NYC.

Date: January 22, 2012 08:40AM

ugarte
I'm not starting a thread to say that Cornell can play defense but can't shoot worth a damn. Lost to Columbia tonight in NYC.

That's not the whole story. They also can't rebound worth a damn either.

Date: January 22, 2012 08:56PM

ugarte
I'm sure it is expensive to take summer classes if you take them at Syracuse but you don't have to. You can save money by taking a few summer classes at a community college or state school in your hometown. I took my ILR writing requirement over the summer at Queens College.
You may have to. OUr son's college in Virginia says if you want to take, say, intro to macro economics in the May-June quickie semester, it can't be offered by the college at the same time. Let's hope that rule doesn't spread.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2012 08:59PM

And there is at least one endowed college at Cornell that won't accept community college courses taken during the summer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login