Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CFL team still interested in Kent Austin

Posted by Ken711 
CFL team still interested in Kent Austin
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2011 04:52PM

Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Brendan Taman coaching search:

Taman has not disguised his intent to contact Austin - now the head football coach at Cornell University - after the Ivy League team concludes its season Saturday against the University of Pennsylvania.

[www.edmontonjournal.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 04:53PM by Ken711.

Re: CFL team still interested in Kent Austin
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 10:37PM

Ken711
Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Brendan Taman coaching search:

Taman has not disguised his intent to contact Austin - now the head football coach at Cornell University - after the Ivy League team concludes its season Saturday against the University of Pennsylvania.

[www.edmontonjournal.com]
I hope not. worry

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 10:50PM

I could see him going back to Toronto if anywhere in the CFL next year, Saskatchewan isn't the same team as when he left. Most likely if and when he leaves it is back to Ole Miss at some stage.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 09:40AM

That same story refers to Austin going back as an "unlikely event" and a "miraculous comeback." Doesn't seem like the article's author was giving it much of a possibility.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2011 01:51PM

This. The fact that the Roughriders are interested in him doesn't mean he has any interest in leaving. Austin left a CFL head coaching position by choice to take a SEC assistant coaching position, then left Mississippi by choice to take the Cornell job. I think you have to say that the football program has made progress in his two seasons at Cornell and it seems like we have some really interesting recruits on the way. Why would he take a step back by going back to the CFL?

Date: December 02, 2011 10:34PM

They never end their pursuit, yet another article.

[www.calgaryherald.com]

Date: December 04, 2011 10:36PM

The interestng tidbit to me is the claim that Coach Austin interviewed with Hamilton. Who knows if that's even true -- the interview could have been a polite phone call where Coach Austin said "thanks but no thanks." Still, this story has more legs than I was expecting.

Date: December 06, 2011 08:28PM

And still more talk. CFL team granted permission to talk to Austin. I hope he finally tells them no, if not ugh...

[www.montrealgazette.com]

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2011 08:40PM

Speculation continues (Montreal Gazette).

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 01:03AM

George64
Speculation continues (Montreal Gazette).
>>> "'(Austin) is also busy recruiting student-athletes for next season, but as of now he has said he’s not interested in addressing any rumours,’ [Jeremy] Hartigan said."

Could our sports information director have just said "players" or "students" and left the other part presumed? The NCAA on its own is wearing out the term's welcome. It has the same feel as the Buckeyes who announce themselve on NFL games, "Antoine Winfield, The Ohio State University." (Tim Tebow in comparison is keeping his thing mostly under wraps.)

This would be proper usage by Bob Costas, who can say a lot with the slightest inflection and a glance up at the camera to let you know he's not buying it either:
"Jim Tressel, The Ohio State University"
"Maurice Clarette, The Ohio State University"
"Art Schlicter, The Ohio State University"

Posted by: CAS (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 08:26AM

Today's Montreal Gazette has a story that Kent Austin will remain at Cornell. Which is obviously great news!

Date: December 13, 2011 02:08PM

CAS
Today's Montreal Gazette has a story that Kent Austin will remain at Cornell. Which is obviously great news!

Great news indeed.

Posted by: RichH (---.st.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 13, 2011 02:34PM

Note that the URL of the Gazette story contains the parsing:

"Austin+stays+quiet+Riders+Ticats+coaching+speculation+mounts"

But the headline under that url now reads:

"No CFL return for Austin, sources say"

The latest story on that site is: "Kent Austin return to Roughriders appears unlikely"

I'd feel better if Austin just released a statement saying "No." But we'll take what we can get.

Date: December 13, 2011 04:01PM

We're looking for hidden meanings after we convinced ourselves that Steve Donahue was staying put in Ithaca?

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 13, 2011 04:38PM

billhoward
We're looking for hidden meanings after we convinced ourselves that Steve Donahue was staying put in Ithaca?
Who convinced themselves of this? Is it legal to buy the drugs they were on?

Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 04:48PM

If he is staying he's probably just leveraging this interest into a raise.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 07:30PM

Coach Austin has confirmed, via an email to a Canadian newspaper, that he is remaining at Cornell. LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 07:30PM by CAS.

Date: December 13, 2011 07:51PM

For his part, Austin insisted that money had nothing to do with his decision, dispelling reports he was seeking a lucrative deal with a CFL team.

“Contrary to reports in the media, money was not a factor at all in this decision,” Austin said. “In fact, I have turned down several offers since my arrival at Cornell that would have paid substantially more than I am making here (most recently an offensive co-ordinator position at a BCS school). Since entering the coaching profession, my wife and I have never made a decision based on money alone.”

Read more: [www.leaderpost.com]

Date: December 13, 2011 10:02PM

Ken711
For his part, Austin insisted that money had nothing to do with his decision, dispelling reports he was seeking a lucrative deal with a CFL team. “Contrary to reports in the media, money was not a factor at all in this decision,” Austin said. “In fact, I have turned down several offers since my arrival at Cornell that would have paid substantially more than I am making here (most recently an offensive co-ordinator position at a BCS school). Since entering the coaching profession, my wife and I have never made a decision based on money alone.”
Hear, hear. It's easier to stand on principle as a college coach making $200,000 than a high school teacher who is also the football coach and makes, combined, $55,000. Still, that's good news. Cornell needs its own Pete Carril.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:41PM

Ithaca Journal has much the same news, including:

The Leader-Post reported that Austin would command a salary of around $600,000 a year, which would have made him the highest-paid coach in the CFL and is reportedly more than double his Cornell salary.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:42PM

billhoward
Ken711
For his part, Austin insisted that money had nothing to do with his decision, dispelling reports he was seeking a lucrative deal with a CFL team. “Contrary to reports in the media, money was not a factor at all in this decision,” Austin said. “In fact, I have turned down several offers since my arrival at Cornell that would have paid substantially more than I am making here (most recently an offensive co-ordinator position at a BCS school). Since entering the coaching profession, my wife and I have never made a decision based on money alone.”
Hear, hear. It's easier to stand on principle as a college coach making $200,000 than a high school teacher who is also the football coach and makes, combined, $55,000. Still, that's good news. Cornell needs its own Pete Carril.
I'm not holding my breath on Austin staying in Ithaca long-term (none of us could blame him if he were to fill an eventual opening as the head coach at Mississippi, for example; it's pretty obviously a big step up in the football world, and a guy moving back to his alma mater), I just hope the takes the football team in a good direction while he's here.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 03:01PM

Another nice article about Austin (Canada.com).

Date: December 14, 2011 08:03PM

Josh '99
billhoward
Ken711
I'm not holding my breath on Austin staying in Ithaca long-term (none of us could blame him if he were to fill an eventual opening as the head coach at Mississippi, for example; it's pretty obviously a big step up in the football world, and a guy moving back to his alma mater), I just hope the takes the football team in a good direction while he's here.

I too doubt that Austin retires as the Cornell Head Coach in say 2031, but when you read the stories about him he clearly has a plan in mind that is not driven by the largest paycheck. I plan on enjoying the ride as long as possible.

Date: December 22, 2011 09:58AM

mountainred
I too doubt that Austin retires as the Cornell Head Coach in say 2031, but when you read the stories about him he clearly has a plan in mind that is not driven by the largest paycheck. I plan on enjoying the ride as long as possible.
Good thought. Nothing wrong with Cornell being the Ivy Cradle of Coaches.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 10:29AM

billhoward
mountainred
Good thought. Nothing wrong with Cornell being the Ivy Cradle of Coaches.

Between George Seifert and the legacy of Pop Warner, I'm sure that's something we can spin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login