Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell's Sprint Football HC stepping down

Posted by Ken711 
Cornell's Sprint Football HC stepping down
Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2024 09:02PM

Re: Cornell's Sprint Football HC stepping down
Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 25, 2024 09:26PM

The entire sprint football program should consider stepping down.

Date: January 25, 2024 10:22PM

Let's see what a new coaching staff can do.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2024 10:23PM by Ken711.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: January 26, 2024 10:05AM

I assume the only reason Cornell still has a sprint football team is due to the fact that there are thousands of sprint football alumni who would be upset if Cornell dropped the program. We could probably say the same thing about the regular football program, too.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 26, 2024 10:12AM

dbilmes
I assume the only reason Cornell still has a sprint football team is due to the fact that there are thousands of sprint football alumni who would be upset if Cornell dropped the program. We could probably say the same thing about the regular football program, too.
Does it cost anything to run? I thought those things were clubs that self-funded? If so, who cares, let 'em wear the C, it's nice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2024 10:12AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 26, 2024 10:13AM

Trotsky
dbilmes
Does it cost anything to run? I thought those things were clubs that self-funded? If so, who cares, let 'em wear the C, it's nice.

Correct, it's self supported.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2024 01:48PM

It's also a good idea -- a form of football that takes into account the inequities when some college mainstream football teams have front lines that average 300 pounds. The most a sprint player can weigh is 178 pounds at weigh-in 4 and 2 days before the match, I believe it is, meaning about 185 maybe 190 after the weigh-in. In 50 years the max weight at weigh-in has gone up 20 pounds.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 26, 2024 02:03PM

"Thank God there is still a sport for middle-sized white boys."

Date: January 26, 2024 02:11PM

Trotsky
Yesterday in Manhattan, we were solicited by a Black guy selling tickets to a comedy club. As I walked past, he said, "We need White boys." I told him, "Look up Colin Jost. He counts as two." Got the guy to laugh. Wasn't as pushy as people selling the double-decker bus tours of Manhattan. Thursday, low 50s, there were people sitting on the exposed upper level. Gad, tourists.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: January 26, 2024 06:14PM

billhoward
Trotsky
Yesterday in Manhattan, we were solicited by a Black guy selling tickets to a comedy club. As I walked past, he said, "We need White boys." I told him, "Look up Colin Jost. He counts as two." Got the guy to laugh. Wasn't as pushy as people selling the double-decker bus tours of Manhattan. Thursday, low 50s, there were people sitting on the exposed upper level. Gad, tourists.

Reclaiming your thread drift championship belt wasn’t really necessary
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2024 06:14PM by RichH.

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-197-198.myvzw.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 06:38PM

Would help they set aside 10-15 admission slots for Sprint also.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:33AM

rss77

No thanks. Too many “reserved” spots as it is. Can’t be giving more away to basically a club sport that very few people care about.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 02:49PM

CU2007
rss77

No thanks. Too many “reserved” spots as it is. Can’t be giving more away to basically a club sport that very few people care about.
seriously. sprint football is almost a big flashing neon "Sue Me For Title IX Violations" sign.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 27, 2024 04:31PM

ugarte
CU2007
rss77

seriously. sprint football is almost a big flashing neon "Sue Me For Title IX Violations" sign.
why? its self funded so it doesnt have the same rules..

Date: January 27, 2024 05:46PM

upprdeck
ugarte
CU2007
rss77

why? its self funded so it doesnt have the same rules..
if that's true, that's true i suppose.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:01PM

Can a team escape the web of Title IX and equal opportunities just b/c the team is self-funded? Many dozens of men's basketball teams could self-fund and ignore Title IX. If they haven't already, somebody may try to litigate it.

Posted by: marty (172.59.177.---)
Date: January 28, 2024 11:44AM

billhoward
Can a team escape the web of Title IX and equal opportunities just b/c the team is self-funded? Many dozens of men's basketball teams could self-fund and ignore Title IX. If they haven't already, somebody may try to litigate it.

Maybe Beeeej will consider this. He can also look forward to a corrolary suit against anyone who addresses him with the wrong number of eeeeeees!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2024 11:34PM

Posted by: Local Motion (38.49.79.---)
Date: February 17, 2024 09:38PM

Why are do so many Cornellians turn their nose up to Sprint Football? I don't see posters being critical of wrestling at Cornell that has multiple weight classifications. Cornell Lightweight crew has been a strong program for many years. Don't get me wrong I love football at all levels, but having 300 lb. linemen is not exactly healthy either. We have a close family friend who was a first team All-Ivy defensive linemen at Cornell and he has struggled with diabetes and other health issues for many years. I think anyone who plays sports at Cornell whether it's varsity lacrosse or fencing deserves credit for their commitment to the university and their sport. Go Big Red!

Posted by: billhoward (185.195.59.---)
Date: February 21, 2024 12:37PM

There's a lot of love for 150 Football, especially among lightweight-football alumni. The action is fabulous. Pound for pound, they put on a better show. The average 21-year-old male weighs 198 pounds, so this is an attainable sport. If you have to weigh in at 178 now for sprint football, your off-season weight could be the 198 average and you could weigh 185, 190, between games.

If there's concern it may be that sprint football at Cornell seemed to languish in recent years: 3-17
2013  2-5
2014  3-4
2015  4-3
2016  2-5
2017  4-3
2018  4-2
2019  1-5
2020  ---  Covid
2021  2-5
2022  1-6 
2023  0-6

Sprint football has a challenge that it's another 50-60 men who don't have a comparable women's sport for gender equalization.

I saw 8-10 games my undergrad years and I recall great football and dark, rainy, sometimes snowy, Friday nights. This is not a good cheap-date night, at least not after Oct. 15. Even in the pressbox (not heated) it was cold.

I'd play sprint football in the Meinig Field house. For punts, I'd use multi-angle cameras to track the implied distance if (when) it hits the roof and that's where the other team gets the ball. Probably could do the same for field goals. Or if it hits the roof, use the cameras to declare the kick good or not.

Anyone for setting up an intercollegiate sprint basketball league? Where the players on court have to average 6 feet, nobody over 6-foot-4.

Date: February 21, 2024 12:59PM

i'm sure it's cool but very few schools play it so i struggle to care. it's not like wrestling where the diversity of weights is built into the format, since all of them wrestle together. i also wouldn't care about short-guy basketball.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 21, 2024 01:49PM

ugarte
i'm sure it's cool but very few schools play it so i struggle to care. it's not like wrestling where the diversity of weights is built into the format, since all of them wrestle together. i also wouldn't care about short-guy basketball.

some schools play JV football as well.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2024 08:27PM

upprdeck
ugarte

Back when the Ivies only let sophomores and up play varsity football, there was also Freshman Football.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 21, 2024 10:41PM

jtwcornell91
upprdeck
ugarte

Back when the Ivies only let sophomores and up play varsity football, there was also Freshman Football.

Not just the Ivy League. Abdul-Jabbar for example played 3 years because Freshmen weren't eligible. I found a piece that said the change was in 1972. It noted Bill Walton couldn't play in 1970-71 shortly after Kareem's Freshman team beat the defending national championship varsity team at UCLA.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2024 10:50PM

jtwcornell91
upprdeck
ugarte

and various other freshman team teams, including basketball and hockey. My freshman year, the frosh b-ball team played Syracuse 4 times, 2 home and 2 away, with the best game being an overtime loss at Barton. Syracuse's team was led by Ernie Austin, who was the star on the only high school team to beat Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's (then Lew Alcindor's) Power Memorial High School team in Alcindor's 4 years there.
The frosh hockey schedule was a lot of Canadian Jr. B teams and teams like the Ithaca College varsity. Most memorable performance for me was watching Carlo Ugolini score 4 goals in 51 seconds against the Jr. B Dixie Beehives.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 22, 2024 07:58AM

ugarte

Short guy basketball is a great comparison

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login