Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy Football to Set Limits on Full-Contact Practices

Posted by nyc94 
Ivy Football to Set Limits on Full-Contact Practices
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 19, 2011 11:25PM

[www.nytimes.com]

"The Ivy League will announce on Wednesday that, in an effort to minimize head injuries among its football players, it will sharply reduce the number of allowable full-contact practices teams can hold."

"According to the new rules, teams will be able to hold only two full-contact practices per week during the season, compared with a maximum of five under N.C.A.A. guidelines. On the other days of the week, practices cannot include contact or live tackles, and no player may be “taken to the ground.”"

Re: Ivy Football to Set Limits on Full-Contact Practices
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 02:38PM

I'm not trying to get into an argument about concussions and head injuries in general, but doesn't this seem like a fairly extreme change? You're cutting full speed practice time by 60%. I would assume that most teams use all of the practice time they were allotted.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2011 09:11PM

KeithK
I'm not trying to get into an argument about concussions and head injuries in general, but doesn't this seem like a fairly extreme change? You're cutting full speed practice time by 60%. I would assume that most teams use all of the practice time they were allotted.

Apparently the coaches were kept apprised of the rules discussion and based upon comments from some coaches it won't have a big impact on their practices.

Princeton coach Bob Surace said the new rules would not cause him to change much, noting he usually had two full-contact practices a week and didn't have two contact sessions during two-a-days in the preseason.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.inet6.dpw.com)
Date: July 21, 2011 04:28PM

Looks like President Skorton was a driving force behind the move.

[www.news.cornell.edu]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 04:28PM by amerks127.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: July 21, 2011 05:48PM

KeithK
Apparently Steve Spurrier already does this. If Steve Spurrier can run an SEC team on this practice schedule, there can't be too much of a competitive disadvantage. There is a hugh machismo disadvantage, though - ask Bart Scott.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: July 22, 2011 02:44AM

ugarte
KeithK
Apparently Steve Spurrier already does this. If Steve Spurrier can run an SEC team on this practice schedule, there can't be too much of a competitive disadvantage. There is a hugh machismo disadvantage, though - ask Bart Scott.
Spurrier's record at USC is 44-33, and 1-4 in bowl games. The 44 wins of course include the requisite 2+ SEC lay-ups per year against the likes of Furman, South Carolina State, Wofford, Middle Tennessee, etc, so against true BCS competition he's right around .500. While this is actually great strides for South Carolina, it only shows how low the program was when he started - USC is certainly not among the "elite" SEC teams (yet)...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 22, 2011 04:43PM

Apparently this isn't as much of a change from current practice as it sounds on paper.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 06:45PM

KeithK
Apparently this isn't as much of a change from current practice as it sounds on paper.

It's not.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: July 22, 2011 08:45PM

KeithK

I printed it out on paper and it didn't make a sound. :-D

(Sorry. It is the off season and I am itchin' for a scuffle.)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2011 03:27PM

Robb
ugarte
KeithK
Spurrier's record at USC is 44-33, and 1-4 in bowl games. The 44 wins of course include the requisite 2+ SEC lay-ups per year against the likes of Furman, South Carolina State, Wofford, Middle Tennessee, etc, so against true BCS competition he's right around .500. While this is actually great strides for South Carolina, it only shows how low the program was when he started - USC is certainly not among the "elite" SEC teams (yet)...
That's all I'm saying. Steve Spurrier wouldn't voluntarily screw himself. If he chose to do this it is probably because he thinks laying off during the week gives him an advantage come Saturday. Or maybe he cares about the health of the kids. Sounds crazy but it might be true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login