Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA lacrosse tournament seedings, brackets, etc.

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
NCAA lacrosse tournament seedings, brackets, etc.
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 05:25PM

We'll see tonight at 9pm whether Cornell gets the #2 seed behind Syracuse. Speculation is that the opponent will be Hartford if that's the case.

Syracuse holds graduation in the Dome on Saturday, so their game with [likely] Siena will be Sunday, and ours will be Saturday to allow the same TV crew to do both central NY games.

Re: NCAA lacrosse tournament seedings, brackets, etc.
Date: May 08, 2011 06:46PM

A selection Sunday update on Inside Lacrosse reports that the "numbers" (i.e., RPI, SOS) may be counted more heavily this year than "significant wins." If so, Cornell will be screwed again, as Duke and Virginia are #1 and #2 in SOS and #7 and #5 in RPI. After a year or two of almost sanity, we may be returning to the era where whom you've played is more important than how you've played against them.

[insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 07:03PM

Al DeFlorio
A selection Sunday update on Inside Lacrosse reports that the "numbers" (i.e., RPI, SOS) may be counted more heavily this year than "significant wins." If so, Cornell will be screwed again, as Duke and Virginia are #1 and #2 in SOS and #7 and #5 in RPI. After a year or two of almost sanity, we may be returning to the era where whom you've played is more important than how you've played against them.

[insidelacrosse.com]

We're 2nd in RPI, so that won't screw us. According to laxpower, Duke is 16th in SOS. We're 7th in SOS behind Virginia, Princeton, Syracuse, Notre Dame, UNC, and Penn. Syracuse is already ahead of us, and Penn and UNC are too far behind us to jump us. I suppose it's possible that Notre Dame or Virginia does, but that would only drop us to 4th. A lot of these teams are really close this year, so that would probably only give us a tougher first round and not make much difference after that.

RPI: [www.laxpower.com]
SOS: [www.laxpower.com]

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 07:17PM

Al DeFlorio

[insidelacrosse.com]

of course that's the way it is ... c'mon Al haven't you figured out yet that it's not about how good the teams are - the seeding is completely about how good your athletic dept. is at scheduling. bang:-P
the on-field stuff is just secondary ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 07:18PM by ben03.

Date: May 08, 2011 08:20PM

Ronald '09
Al DeFlorio

We're 2nd in RPI, so that won't screw us. According to laxpower, Duke is 16th in SOS. We're 7th in SOS behind Virginia, Princeton, Syracuse, Notre Dame, UNC, and Penn.
Take a look at laxpower's SOS rankings using the NCAA calculation (top ten opponents only).

[www.laxpower.com]

Date: May 08, 2011 09:13PM

Well unless we fell all the way to 6, we're at least 3rd. Penn is in. I'll keep updating below if anyone is following in here. I put the times and channel next to the higher seed. We got the 2 seed. So all the panic for nothing. I like Bucknell to upset Virginia.

1. Syracuse (Sunday 7:30 ESPNU)
2. Cornell (Saturday 7:30 ESPNU)
3. Hopkins (Saturday noon ESPN2)
4. Notre Dame (Saturday 2:30 ESPNU)
5. Duke (Saturday 5 ESPNU)
6. Denver *Sunday 5:15 ESPNU)
7. Virginia (Sunday 3 ESPNU)
8. UNC (Sunday 1 ESPN)
9. Maryland
10. Bucknell
11. Villanova
12. Delaware
13. Penn
14. Hofstra
15. Hartford
16. Siena
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 09:23PM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:15PM

We're in the opposite bracket from Syracuse, Duke and UNC. SU has to play winner of UNC v Maryland. Lookin good so far.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:20PM

Not to be that guy, but looks like a 2nd round match-up against Virginia is looming

Date: May 08, 2011 09:26PM

OK with me- UVa with no Shamel, a goaltender we've shelled last time we played in the NCAA tournament and this year. Feely shut out
Steele Stanwick last time. I feel goooood.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:27PM

semsox
Not to be that guy, but looks like a 2nd round match-up against Virginia is looming

True, but I don't think any of the other options -- MD, UNC, or even Denver -- would be any more or less favorable.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:28PM

semsox
I'd take that.

Date: May 08, 2011 09:30PM

AND - UVA's wek spot is oh D - no more Ken Claussen. We match up pretty good with them.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:35PM

We need to beat Hartford first. Am I the only one who remembers being scored upon at home during the quarterfinals game by the opponent's goalie on the way to the upset loss????

Date: May 08, 2011 09:42PM

I know Ohio State.
I played Ohio State.
Hartford, sir, is no Ohio State.**]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:42PM

Actually, I think the UVa - Bucknell match might be really interesting. I think Bucknell has a reasonable chance at the upset there.

FWIW, anybody know anthing about Hartford, other than it's the capital of Connecticut? And it's no Ohio State.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 09:47PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: May 08, 2011 09:43PM

Pannell being interviewed on the selection show

Date: May 08, 2011 09:45PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Actually, I think the UVa - Bucknell match might be really interesting. I think Bucknell has a reasonable chance at the upset there.

FWIW, anybody know anthing about Hartford, other than it's the capital of Connecticut?

Well, other than my sister being a Hartford grad, Hartford played a spirirted game against SB yesterday. They have some good offensive skill players, and the FO guy may be the best in the country. But we'll certainly be a heavy favorite

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:46PM

I seem to recall the same sentiment regarding Ohio State. Before they beat us. I am going to assume that the players and coaching staff won't take any team for granted during the month of May.

Date: May 08, 2011 09:48PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

FWIW, anybody know anthing about Hartford, other than it's the capital of Connecticut?

If you say it really fast, it sounds like Harvard. They're called the Hawks, wear red, and have a really good faceoff guy. I think the Rutgers guy (forget his name) is the best faceoff guy in the country though.

I wish they would announce which quarters site we're at. The bracket posted on laxpower says Foxboro, but they also say Hofstra would be going to Foxboro, so I think they just have the quarters randomly on their brackets for now.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 09:50PM

Ronald '09
Jeff Hopkins '82

If you say it really fast, it sounds like Harvard. They're called the Hawks, wear red, and have a really good faceoff guy. I think the Rutgers guy (forget his name) is the best faceoff guy in the country though.

I wish they would announce which quarters site we're at. The bracket posted on laxpower says Foxboro, but they also say Hofstra would be going to Foxboro, so I think they just have the quarters randomly on their brackets for now.

I have been wondering the same thing. The bracket from the NCAA has Cornell playing the early game at Hofstra, assuming they win the first round.

Date: May 08, 2011 09:58PM

kingpin248
Ronald '09
Jeff Hopkins '82

I have been wondering the same thing. The bracket from the NCAA has Cornell playing the early game at Hofstra, assuming they win the first round.

Both sites have the quarters listed in chronological order, just with the first round matchups listed in different orders. If I recall the last few years, one team from each side of the bracket often ends up in the same quarterfinal site, but I guess that doesn't really matter, they just go with what makes sense for each region? The Notre Dame quarter should be at Foxboro, since they and Duke would have to fly to either place anyway. Hopefully we get to go to Hofstra, since that's much closer for me.

EDIT: They just said on ESPNU that our half of the bracket goes to Hofstra. I'm happy with that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 09:59PM by Ronald '09.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 10:00PM

Ronald '09
kingpin248
Ronald '09
Jeff Hopkins '82

Both sites have the quarters listed in chronological order, just with the first round matchups listed in different orders. If I recall the last few years, one team from each side of the bracket often ends up in the same quarterfinal site, but I guess that doesn't really matter, they just go with what makes sense for each region? The Notre Dame quarter should be at Foxboro, since they and DUke would have to fly to either place anyway. Hopefully we get to go to Hofstra, since that's much closer for me.

Me too. And CU now confirms that it will play at Hofstra should it advance.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 08, 2011 10:12PM

Would buying tickets for a possible quarterfinal in Hempstead be bad karma?

Good draw overall. Also nice to be under the lights again and avoid getting sunburned like today.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 10:12PM

Hooray for being in the Hofstra bracket. Now let's get there. Let's Go Red!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 10:24PM

Ronald '09
Well unless we fell all the way to 6, we're at least 3rd. Penn is in. I'll keep updating below if anyone is following in here. I put the times and channel next to the higher seed. We got the 2 seed. So all the panic for nothing. I like Bucknell to upset Virginia.

1. Syracuse (Sunday 7:30 ESPNU)
2. Cornell (Saturday 7:30 ESPNU)
3. Hopkins (Saturday noon ESPN2)
4. Notre Dame (Saturday 2:30 ESPNU)
5. Duke (Saturday 5 ESPNU)
6. Denver *Sunday 5:15 ESPNU)
7. Virginia (Sunday 3 ESPNU)
8. UNC (Sunday 1 ESPN)
9. Maryland
10. Bucknell
11. Villanova
12. Delaware
13. Penn
14. Hofstra
15. Hartford
16. Siena
This must be a typo, where's Princeton?

Oh right. :-D

Re: NCAA lacrosse - Cornell got a good draw
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 10:53PM

Cornell doesn't have to go on the road in round 1. We've gotten screwed that way before.
Cornell isn't seeded for a matchup with #1 on the second weekend. (Last year headed for a Cornell-Syracuse showdown but thank you, Army.)
Any team is capable of an upset, but unless they start calling themselves The University of Hartford, we are okay. Who would you rather see us play? We may not win 50% of the faceoffs, but we showed vs. Yale Friday that we can lose the faceoff battle and still win the game.
If we get past round one, we have a desirable rematch against a Virginia team without Shamel Bratton (Quint again on the show used his line about how Va added by subtracting) and with its best defender out for the year (Ken Clausen, ACL).
... on paper, there are a lot tougher paths to the final four than Cornell has. Sort of like when we saw Bemidji State in our way. <cough>

Date: May 08, 2011 10:56PM

billhoward
Cornell doesn't have to go on the road in round 1. We've gotten screwed that way before.
Cornell isn't seeded for a matchup with #1 on the second weekend. (Last year headed for a Cornell-Syracuse showdown but thank you, Army.)
Any team is capable of an upset, but unless they start calling themselves The University of Hartford, we are okay. Who would you rather see us play? We may not win 50% of the faceoffs, but we showed vs. Yale Friday that we can lose the faceoff battle and still win the game.
If we get past round one, we have a desirable rematch against a Virginia team without Shamel Bratton (Quint again on the show used his line about how Va added by subtracting) and with its best defender out for the year (Ken Clausen, ACL).
... on paper, there are a lot tougher paths to the final four than Cornell has. Sort of like when we saw Bemidji State in our way. <cough>

A couple of corrections -- SU was 2nd seeded last year, not #1 (I think that was UVA), and UVA lost its top defender to injury, but it wasn't Clausen -- he graduated last year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2011 11:02PM

You're right. Matt Lovejoy hurt his shoulder AFTER the Cornell-UVA game. (Clausen does have an ACL tear but that's post-UVa). I'm still glad Army took down Syracuse last year.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 09:54AM

billhoward

I hope Ben has the team watch some "upsets" to get in the right frame of mind.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 11:14AM

Swampy
billhoward

I hope Ben has the team watch some "upsets" to get in the right frame of mind.
The only game that counts is the one next Sat.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 09, 2011 05:07PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Funny you should ask... (Hartford resident over here.)

My story from Saturday was that I was happened to be in a sports bar and was happy to see some lax occupying one of the many TVs. We caught the end of the Fairfield-Denver game (and got to throw a few choice curses at Tierney for old time's sake). When the UHart-Stony Brook game came on, I was pleased to hear the table next to us be very into cheering for the local Hawks. One of the vocal fans boasted to my table, "Hartford's ranked #28 in the country!!" I tried to hide my smirk under my Cornell hat. I had to leave after the 1st half, but UHart won on a goal with 1 second left in regulation. Turns out the bar we were in was where the UHart team watched the selection show last night.

After spending a few minutes on their Athletics site, Hartford's Tim Fallon was the LaxPower All-American Faceoff Specialist last year, leading the nation in both FO% (0.622) and groundballs (131). This year, as a Senior, he's at 0.627 and 158. Rutgers's Chris Mattes has a FO% of 0.635 this year, taking 110 fewer faceoffs than Fallon.

Also, from a brief writeup on their website about their upcoming game at "Schoellkopt Field" (sic), "With 11 wins this season,...the Hawks, who have won four of their last five decisions, surpassed its win total in the last four seasons combined (8)."

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 09:09PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

Funny you should ask... (Hartford resident over here.)

My story from Saturday was that I was happened to be in a sports bar and was happy to see some lax occupying one of the many TVs. We caught the end of the Fairfield-Denver game (and got to throw a few choice curses at Tierney for old time's sake). When the UHart-Stony Brook game came on, I was pleased to hear the table next to us be very into cheering for the local Hawks. One of the vocal fans boasted to my table, "Hartford's ranked #28 in the country!!" I tried to hide my smirk under my Cornell hat. I had to leave after the 1st half, but UHart won on a goal with 1 second left in regulation. Turns out the bar we were in was where the UHart team watched the selection show last night.

After spending a few minutes on their Athletics site, Hartford's Tim Fallon was the LaxPower All-American Faceoff Specialist last year, leading the nation in both FO% (0.622) and groundballs (131). This year, as a Senior, he's at 0.627 and 158. Rutgers's Chris Mattes has a FO% of 0.635 this year, taking 110 fewer faceoffs than Fallon.

Also, from a brief writeup on their website about their upcoming game at "Schoellkopt Field" (sic), "With 11 wins this season,...the Hawks, who have won four of their last five decisions, surpassed its win total in the last four seasons combined (8)."

I know the school's Public Relations office has to make the upcoming match seem as interesting as possible, but I found it a bit funny where the writeup says, "The Big Red, who also captured their first-ever league championship with a 15-6 win over Harvard on Saturday, are currently riding a 10-game win streak."

With all due respect, our lax history is a bit more illustrious than that. The writeup neglects to mention that the Ivy championship tournament is only in its second year, and this is our 24th conference championship. Sigh ....

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: May 10, 2011 03:08PM

was really hoping for an earlier game time in Ithaca
chances of me finding a bar anywhere in MA that will put a lacrosse game on one TV
on a Saturday night when the RedSox/Yankees series is also being televised?

somewhere between zero and nil

Posted by: NancyfromNJ (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 04:13PM

Good Luck!Last spring around this time I saw Dan Roche (Boston WBZ TV sports) at the airport, and after chatting a bit asked if he could get me a Cornell lacrosse score. Even calling back to WBZ TV studios it took more than 15 minutes.

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: May 10, 2011 04:27PM

Cornell95
chances of me finding a bar anywhere in MA that will put a lacrosse game on one TV

Google says you can drive to Hartford from Boston in under 2 hrs.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 10, 2011 06:06PM

Cornell95

Hartford is a 90 minute drive from Boston. This place has tons of TVs and seems to be home-base for UHart lacrosse fans.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 07:38AM

Syracuse Post-Standard article on AJ Fiore.

Date: May 13, 2011 04:46PM

Someone posted a link on laxpower to this lacrosse blog. There are two excellent pieces on this year's Cornell team.

[www.collegecrosse.com]

[www.collegecrosse.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 06:01PM

Al DeFlorio
Someone posted a link on laxpower to this lacrosse blog. There are two excellent pieces on this year's Cornell team.

[www.collegecrosse.com]

[www.collegecrosse.com]
Wow, I don't know if I've ever developed a love-hate relationship for a blog so quickly. Both pieces have more sophisticated analysis than anything I think I've seen elsewhere, but then this:

The worst student ensemble not named "The Johns Hopkins University Pep Band."
WHAT? Boooooooooooooooooooo. cuss

Date: May 13, 2011 08:50PM

Josh '99

Maybe this will make you feel better:

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 13, 2011 10:16PM

College 'Crosse is quite a good site, but it's run (overrun, really) by Syracuse fans. (I was the one who commented on the Band at the bottom of that post.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2011 10:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99

Maybe this will make you feel better:

If that actually happens, it will make me feel much, MUCH better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login