Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU-PU Lacrosse

Posted by Redscore 
CU-PU Lacrosse
Posted by: Redscore (---.axsne.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 03:42PM

Anyone know if the game is on any TV channel? Redcast? PU Sports on line?

Re: CU-PU Lacrosse
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 03:53PM

Redscore
Anyone know if the game is on any TV channel? Redcast? PU Sports on line?

It was noted as being a future broadcast during the Army-Navy game on CBS College Sports.

Unfortunately, my cable company just took that channel away last week scream

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 03:56PM

The Cornell Athletics website says the game will be on CBS College Sports (as does the Princeton Athletics website). There's also a "Listen" link for Redcast if you aren't near a TV that gets CBS College Sports, and if you're really desperate I think you can listen to the Princeton broadcast for free on WPRB.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: April 26, 2011 03:57PM

It's not listed on the Athletics Page as having live video on Redcast. Wierd. They promised all the home games...cry

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 05:15PM

TimV
It's not listed on the Athletics Page as having live video on Redcast. Wierd. They promised all the home games...cry
Didn't this come up in the context of some hockey game this past season, or maybe a lacrosse game? I thought we had concluded that no online video is probably a condition of their contract with CBS College Sports (or whatever other cable channel was part of the previous discussion).

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: April 26, 2011 05:34PM

Josh '99
TimV
Didn't this come up in the context of some hockey game this past season, or maybe a lacrosse game? I thought we had concluded that no online video is probably a condition of their contract with CBS College Sports (or whatever other cable channel was part of the previous discussion).

Yep - True. My post was being done before the one relating CBSC was posted.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 26, 2011 09:18PM

They'll be giving away some free stuff (that got you interested) if people haven't heard.

Cornell Athletics
FREE "BEAT PRINCETON" rally towel for the first 2,000 fans!

***The first 500 Cornell students will also receive a FREE Cornell lacrosse pinney!***
They will be distributed at the student carnival in the parking lot and the student entrance of Schoellkopf.

This is why I go to Cornell sporting events.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 09:50PM

[www.facebook.com]

Big Red men's lacrosse continues their quest for the ninth consecutive Ivy League title when they host long-time rival Princeton at Schoellkopf Field on Saturday, April 30th.

CORNELL STUDENTS ADMITTED FREE!!!! Don't miss out on the Cornell tailgate carnival before the game: 10:30am-12:15pm in the Crescent Lot. Prizes, games, giveaways, music and fun. Bring your own tailgating necessities if you so desire. Located at the top of the grassy slope behind the Crescent.

***The first 500 Cornell students will also receive a FREE Cornell lacrosse pinney!*** They will be distributed at the student carnival in the parking lot and the student entrance of Schoellkopf.

Come out strong for the final game of the regular season and GO BIG RED!

Isnt the spring football game on Saturday too?

They should have started this game later, probably would get better student attendance than at 12:30
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 09:53PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 01:11AM

Ben
They'll be giving away some free stuff (that got you interested) if people haven't heard.

Cornell Athletics

***The first 500 Cornell students will also receive a FREE Cornell lacrosse pinney!***
They will be distributed at the student carnival in the parking lot and the student entrance of Schoellkopf.

What, no free hat?

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 03:16PM

phillysportsfan

They should have started this game later, probably would get better student attendance than at 12:30

I suspect that the start time was dictated by CSB College Sports to fit their schedule.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 08:56PM

Josh '99
Ben

Cornell Athletics

What, no free hat?

Re: CU-PU Lacrosse BOSTON Metro viewing
Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: April 29, 2011 06:09PM

While they never know the numbers for the channels (and I cant remember them either)
I have always had good success in watching the games at Fireflys out in Framingham
Will likely be there tomorrow for a late lunch, and with the Celtics off, Red Sox playing at 7pm and Bruins not starting till 3pm... my guess is I will be able to get it on a decent sized screen at the bar

the bbq isnt bad either

Kevin 'Cornell95'

ps. CBS College Sports should be
613 - DirecTV
152 DiSH Network

Date: April 30, 2011 10:52AM

Let hope this means they wont take PU lightly:

Ithaca Journal
Jack Dudley's biggest contributions to Cornell typically come between game days. The first-line middie and senior co-captain is considered, within the program, as one of the top leaders to come through Cornell during the Tambroni/DeLuca era.

Dudley displayed that penchant Monday after the Big Red opened practice sluggishly.

"I was tired and out of it a little bit, and Jack I guess felt good but he came up and flipped out on us because it was going slow," said junior Rob Pannell, Cornell's other captain. "After that, the freshmen realized and everybody else, if we needed some reassurance, we realized how important this (Princeton) game is. Jack hit pretty much every point: the Boiardi family, Cornell lacrosse, coach DeLuca, Princeton in general. Everything.

"After that, we had a great practice. Maybe one of the better ones we've had this year."

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2011 01:04PM

Princeton audio is not that bad ...

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 30, 2011 01:06PM

ben03
Princeton audio is not that bad ...

AJ is today, however.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.sub-174-252-38.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2011 01:09PM

Both goalies are unconscious
just AJ in a bad way and Fiorito in a good way

Date: April 30, 2011 01:10PM

AJ out, West in.

Has Princton scored inside of 7 yards?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 01:11PM by Jordan 04.

Date: April 30, 2011 01:24PM

okay ... crawling back into the game 6-4 with 1:26 left in the first half.

Date: April 30, 2011 01:33PM

we're out shooting them 25-14, SoG 16-8, GBs 19-10 ... it seems like Fiorito is really on today. here's hoping we can keep the 3-0 run going in the second half

anyone watching have any insights?

Date: April 30, 2011 01:37PM

ben03
we're out shooting them 25-14, SoG 16-8, GBs 19-10 ... it seems like Fiorito is really on today. here's hoping we can keep the 3-0 run going in the second half

anyone watching have any insights?

"Really on" is probably an understatement; he's been pretty dominant on any shot outside of 5 yards, and even some chances from right outside the circle. I'm no lax expert, but I don't think much else needs to be pointed out as a factor in the game other than the respective goalies.

Date: April 30, 2011 01:40PM

It really has been the goalie difference so far
Fiorito has been a brickwall, and while Cornells shot selection could be better he has made a ton of good saves
we have been shhoting low, probably based on a scouting report
when we have scored it has been high, we might need to change it up
He started out with 6 saves on 7 SoG
And ended the half with 12/16

Date: April 30, 2011 01:58PM

Cornell leading now 7-6.

Date: April 30, 2011 01:59PM

7-6 Red ... first lead of the game - coming from 6-1 down. CU making a big push to take control

Date: April 30, 2011 02:00PM

8-6 we're on a roll ...

8-6. 7 unanswered.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Just checked in to livestats to see that Cornell is now up 7-6 after ripping off 3 straight in the 3d.

Edit: And note that I should have refreshed this thread before posting. (Livestats is still lagging for me.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 02:01PM by ugarte.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:04PM

8-6 at the end of 3. And while this isn't part of livestats, the 4th quarter is during naptime so I get to listen!

Date: April 30, 2011 02:07PM

West looking very good in relief
A real luxury having depth at goalie
Like his effort backing up the shot to the end line
But maybe skip the dive, don't want am injury!

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 30, 2011 02:13PM

Harvard is leading Yale 5-4 in the third. If Harvard wins they are the third seed and Yale is the fourth.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 02:14PM by nyc94.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:23PM

8-7 CU, about 4 minutes remaining. PU will have the ball coming out of a timeout.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:29PM

9-7 Big Red as Pannell scores his second with 2:19 to go.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:30PM

Did Princeton really just let Pannell run an iso bball inbounds stack out of that timeout? ??

Date: April 30, 2011 02:34PM

36 seconds remaining, Princeton with an EMO.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:35PM

Ballgame. Cornell 9, Princeton 7.

And the Princeton season is over unless Dartmouth and Yale both win. Yale is currently losing by 2 to Harvard.

Date: April 30, 2011 02:36PM

9-7 CU win ... slow start, solid finish. Now onto ND v. SU this evening

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 02:37PM by ben03.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2011 02:45PM

Nice win. Only real complaint is Fiore. After the first quarter, I think faceoffs were aproximately even, maybe slightly in our favor. The only play Princeton scored on in the second half the second quarter and the second half of the game was on an unsettled off a long rebound of a Fiorito save.

Really glad we don't have to play these guys again. With Fiorito, I think they would be the toughest matchup for us next weekend other than Penn. I don't think we have a goalie controversy yet, but that's the second time this year that West has come in and bailed us out after a poor Fiore performance.

Updates: 9-5 Harvard with 1:40 to go according to livestats.
Hopkins and Loyola tied at 3 with 6 to go in the second on espn3.com and something called ABC2 Sports. I'm assuming that's a local Baltimore channel they're picking up the feed from?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 30, 2011 02:48PM

And with Harvard's win: Princeton's Pride on the Links!

Date: April 30, 2011 03:18PM

A good win after an atrocious start (we defended really poorly and were getting killed on the faceoffs). West did very well in goal when he came in, and pulling it back to two goals at halftime was big. My friends and I taunted the Princeton players after the game, they cursed at us, we laughed. A good afternoon all around.

Date: April 30, 2011 03:24PM

So who starts in goal on Friday?

That was a very scary game, glad we dont have to play them again on Friday. Hopefully this is a good wakeup call and the team realizes they cannot play like this again if they want to win next weekend and beyond
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 03:29PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2011 04:23PM

phillysportsfan
So who starts in goal on Friday?

That was a very scary game, glad we dont have to play them again on Friday. Hopefully this is a good wakeup call and the team realizes they cannot play like this again if they want to win next weekend and beyond

I would imagine Fiore, but he'll be on a short leash

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2011 10:29PM

Ben
A good win after an atrocious start (we defended really poorly and were getting killed on the faceoffs). West did very well in goal when he came in, and pulling it back to two goals at halftime was big. My friends and I taunted the Princeton players after the game, they cursed at us, we laughed. A good afternoon all around.
You taunted the Princeton players? No surprise that they cursed at you.

Date: April 30, 2011 10:35PM

Jim Hyla
Ben
Of course not. We got a reaction, mission accomplished.

I wonder how this game will go over with the voters. Notre Dame losing should make us #1 in the polls, but we didn't look great.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 10:35PM by Ben.

Date: May 01, 2011 12:19AM

Ben
Jim Hyla
Ben
Of course not. We got a reaction, mission accomplished.

I wonder how this game will go over with the voters. Notre Dame losing should make us #1 in the polls, but we didn't look great.
SU is 1, we're 2. As they said on the broadcast, SU was 1 in RPI before their win.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2011 12:23AM

Jim Hyla
Ben

I think the point is, you taunted them "after the game." Your "mission accomplished" is (besides those players thinking of you as assholes,) they will play with increased intensity against us next year just to stick it to us. Not the same as in-game taunts meant to get in their heads and disrupt them during the game. It's childish, classless, and just stupid.

Date: May 01, 2011 01:27AM

TimV
Jim Hyla
Ben

I think the point is, you taunted them "after the game." Your "mission accomplished" is (besides those players thinking of you as assholes,) they will play with increased intensity against us next year just to stick it to us. Not the same as in-game taunts meant to get in their heads and disrupt them during the game. It's childish, classless, and just stupid.
I disagree with your characterization, but I get what you're saying (although I don't think they care all that much). If it was us that got to them and not throwing away a five-goal lead, then we'll have to sit behind the opposition bench in the future.

On a somewhat related note, the lack of atmosphere was disappointing. We must have started "Let's go Red" at least six or seven times, but no one else picked up on it. Except for the drunk girl behind us. (One of the Princeton players shouted back that the crowd sucked, which was a fair point.)

Jim Hyla
SU is 1, we're 2. As they said on the broadcast, SU was 1 in RPI before their win.
I was thinking in terms of the coaches & media polls as well. RPI is...not a great ranking system, to say the least.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 01:38AM by Ben.

Date: May 01, 2011 08:31AM

crowd is never that great for lacrosse, not enough students or not enough students in the same place

Date: May 01, 2011 11:45AM

TimV
Jim Hyla
Ben

Thanks for being more direct than I was. I thought the ? would make my point, but although in person, with emphasis on taunted and an up turn at the ?, it might have, in print it didn't. Maybe, "You taunted the Princeton players?" would have been better.

Re: CU-PU - taunting Princeton
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2011 11:53AM

It's possible the two teams may be closer because of the common bond of the sport than the fans are to the opposing fans (um, I suppose that's obvious) and within the lax community where parents know each other from HS/prep lacrosse, they stick with cheering their own sides, not harassing the opponents. (This is not always true in midget hockey. The game brings out the trailer trash in even cultured parents.)

One exception to fans-as-enemies: I still remember how cordial the Virginia fans were Monday morning at the tailgates in 2009 in Foxborough as we headed into our Little Big Horn showdown with Syracuse. Of course, they'd just suffered a major whipping. And they knew the Brattons were young and great things were in the offing for the Cavaliers, so why worry when the future looked great.

If you KNEW you could affect the outcome of the game with something that was witty or caustic, maybe it's part of a greater support-your-team effort. But razzing a team that gave its all and isn't going to be playing lax for nine more months ... I dunno. Maybe it just gives them more incentive next year.

Once in a while, something caustic is overwhelmingly funny. I think it was the year Ryan Vesce put up 7 points in a 7-0 win at Princeton, 2003. Late in the game as the players settled in for a faceoff and the rink grew quiet (the few Princeton fans had already headed for the exits), a Cornellian yelled out to the Tigers captain, "Hey, [captain], it's nine o'clock, your team sucks, and you can't score." That, I thought, was funny, and so did a lot of the crowd.

Date: May 01, 2011 01:06PM

Jim Hyla
TimV
Jim Hyla
Ben

Thanks for being more direct than I was. I thought the ? would make my point, but although in person, with emphasis on taunted and an up turn at the ?, it might have, in print it didn't. Maybe, "You taunted the Princeton players?" would have been better.
So "season's over" is no longer an acceptable chant at Cornell sporting events? I'll keep that in mind.

Date: May 01, 2011 01:52PM

TimV
... they will play with increased intensity against us next year just to stick it to us....
Not only will the Princeton players not remember the fans in the stands the next time we play them, they've already forgotten.

Re: CU 9-PU 7 Lacrosse postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2011 02:30PM

The Cornell lacrosse team being down by a bunch of goals isn't the same as when the hockey team is down by 2 going into the third. But still I got thinking about the Notre Dame game last May where we fell behind early and how at the time I thought, well, Cornell ought to start its run about now ... or maybe about now ... oops we've only got 7 minutes left. It was an incredible comeback led by the defense, the backup goaltender, an attack that got second shots off rebounds, and all those Princeton turnovers. I wish Pannell had nailed that shot with about 2 minutes to play Saturday to make it a 10-7 game to help mask how how close it was.

Tyler Fiorito did an amazing job for Princeton. 20 saves on 29 shots (69% saves). With somebody else in goal it would've been 14-7, Cornell. It made me wonder why John Galloway of Syracuse is the only goalie on the Tewaaraton watch list of 25 players.

I watched a rebroadcast of the game on CBS College Sports. It felt as if the announcers were calling the game more from Princeton's point of view. The Cornell defense should have gotten more credit for breaking up plays, which too often were described as bad luck for Princeton. Those 10 Princeton turnovers in the fourth quarter were not all self-inflicted. I saw two TV trucks parked by the Schoellkopf Gate - one for the cameras and cables, one for the book of cliches they used. A lot of times the announcers were slow to announce that the turnover was a penalty and then only sometimes remembered to say what the penalty was. There was an awkward moment when Cornell was attacking, a flag went sailing up in the air, Cornell continued the attack, and they said, "We'll have to see which team that penalty was on." I did like, on that delayed call or another, as Pannell started to circle the cage, they said, "He's playing with the house's money right now."

I'm trying to figure out if Syracuse's 11-8 defeat of No. 1 and previously unbeaten Notre Dame was good for us or not as relates to seedings for the NCAA tournament. Should we win the Ivy tournament, would we be pushed lower by a Syracuse win or a Notre Dame win? Our two losses make a 1-seed unlikely (?), but how many teams will be seeded above us? Syracuse? ND? Hopkins (which almost lost Saturday)? The difference between a 2 seed and 3 seed doesn't seem that great.

Box score: [www.cornellbigred.com]
Score by period 1 2 3 4 Total
Princeton       4  2  0  1   7
Cornell         1  3  4  1   9

Shots by period 1   2   3  4  Total
Princeton       10  4   7  9  30
Cornell         10 15  14  6  45

Saves by period 1  2  3  4  Total
Princeton       6  6  6  2  20 <-- unreal 
Cornell         2  0  3  2   7

Date: May 01, 2011 02:46PM

Fiorito was definitely impressive, but I think part of that was due to our shooting. From what I remember, we were shooting around chest height, not by his legs. A good performance, no question, but we could have made it harder for him.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2011 07:23PM

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. My experience, that of my father, and my two sons is otherwise. You and I have disagreed on this before. S' OK - every athlete doesn't react the same way. Just sayin' that some do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 07:28PM by TimV.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2011 08:40PM

ugarte
TimV
... they will play with increased intensity against us next year just to stick it to us....
Not only will the Princeton players not remember the fans in the stands the next time we play them, they've already forgotten.
Maybe so, maybe not. Here's a posting from the laxpower forum by a former Cornell player (from awhile back) after the Princeton game (emphasis his, not mine):

It was great seeing Cornell come from behind and end Princeton's season. I WILL NEVER FORGET that Tierney & Co. were (and I will be diplomatic) "less than gracious" to Richie in his last few years.

Date: May 02, 2011 08:53PM

Al DeFlorio
It was great seeing Cornell come from behind and end Princeton's season. I WILL NEVER FORGET that Tierney & Co. were (and I will be diplomatic) "less than gracious" to Richie in his last few years.
Tierney & Co. are a far cry from "a couple of dinks in the stands."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2011 09:23PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Yes, but the point is that players sometimes do remember.

Date: May 02, 2011 09:43PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Thanks for that generous description. :-|

Date: May 02, 2011 09:46PM

Ben
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sure that they see you as gentleman-scholars and would recognize you on the street.

Date: May 02, 2011 09:57PM

ugarte
Ben
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sure that they see you as gentleman-scholars and would recognize you on the street.
Hahahaha, I'm not offended, that's just a curious way of putting it. I would have expected something more like "jerks."

Date: May 05, 2011 10:18AM

Ben
Jim Hyla
TimV
Jim Hyla
Ben

So "season's over" is no longer an acceptable chant at Cornell sporting events? I'll keep that in mind.
No, I don't have any problem with that during the end of the game. By the way you phrased it, I assumed you taunted individual players that you saw after the game, rather than a cheer to the team. For me that's a step over. Once the game is over, we should all be cordial to each other (exceptions expected).

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 07:40AM

Jim Hyla
Ben
Jim Hyla
TimV
Jim Hyla
Ben

No, I don't have any problem with that during the end of the game. By the way you phrased it, I assumed you taunted individual players that you saw after the game, rather than a cheer to the team. For me that's a step over. Once the game is over, we should all be cordial to each other (exceptions expected).
I agree, the athletes leave it all on the field and so should the fans, particularly as it relates to visiting athletes. As hosts we have the duty and privilege of hospitality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login