Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU-SU Lacrosse Tonight

Posted by Jim Hyla 
CU-SU Lacrosse Tonight
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:56AM

Syracuse Post-Standard article on the game.

Re: CU-SU Lacrosse Tonight
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:09AM

Good article. Can't say I like the picture, tho.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:09AM

Hard to believe that the seniors could be 0-5 vs. SU given all the program's recent success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 10:31AM by Chris '03.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:26AM

This page at Time Warner Sports seems to indicate the game will be streamed live: [www.twcs.tv]

Check the lower right side of the web page for a link.

Here's another link: [www.twcs.tv]

Can't tell if there's a fee involved, as there is with Syracuse's All-Access webcast. If using Syracuse's All-Access, your Cornell All-Access log-on should work, but I suspect there's an additional per game fee required.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 10:05AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Good article. Can't say I like the picture, tho.
[clear]
The Post-Standard's Steven Cannerelli is the guy who I believe did the awesome photo shoot of Cornell basketball and fans last year or the year before. He deserves to be at a better and bigger paper. With newspaper revenues down by almost half in the past decade, the reward for excellence is being able to keep your job.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 10:30AM

your CU account will not work on the su SITe... however the cornellbigred site shows the game as part of the package for video tonight.

Date: April 12, 2011 11:00AM

upprdeck
your CU account will not work on the su SITe... however the cornellbigred site shows the game as part of the package for video tonight.
Dunno. I was able to log in with my CU ID and password yesterday (both are All-Access), but, of course, the game wasn't on. I would expect a per-game charge as I'm not a subscriber to the Syracuse events. Doesn't matter if RedCast will have video, of course.

Date: April 12, 2011 01:18PM

Al DeFlorio
This page at Time Warner Sports seems to indicate the game will be streamed live: [www.twcs.tv]

Check the lower right side of the web page for a link.

Here's another link: [www.twcs.tv]

Can't tell if there's a fee involved, as there is with Syracuse's All-Access webcast. If using Syracuse's All-Access, your Cornell All-Access log-on should work, but I suspect there's an additional per game fee required.
Since I've always watched on TV, I haven't tried it, but I think you need to be TWCNY cable and roadrunner subscriber to get it. I'll be interested if anyone tries tonight. If it's Redcast, I guess they'd use the TW feed.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 04:14PM

I have accts in both systems and its never let me in with the others information. both show the game as being on video.. I know the SU feed is the TW feed,

Posted by: tretiak (---.chem.ucsb.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:18PM

3-0 Red early.

Date: April 12, 2011 07:18PM

3-0 Cornell mid-first

Posted by: Robb (12.144.248.---)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:19PM

Poo. Hotel wireless is not fast enough for video, but I'm enjoying listening to my classmate Tom and whoever the PBP guy is.

Date: April 12, 2011 07:30PM

5-1 after one

5-1 Cornell end of first. Pannell has three assists already.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)

Great first quarter, Cornell up 5-1 from a late goal by Mock.

Shots 14-3

Date: April 12, 2011 08:02PM

7-2 at the half; shots 22-7

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:09PM

Oh nooooo! They have us right where they want us!!!panic

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:14PM

TimV

Who amongst us doesn't have that exact thought on their minds (ah, the lament of a paranoid sports fan)

Date: April 12, 2011 08:18PM

scoop85
TimV

Who amongst us doesn't have that exact thought on their minds (ah, the lament of a paranoid sports fan)
Not me. Prepared for anything from another epic collapse to a much-needed signature win against a top team....

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 08:30PM

scoop85
TimV

Two quick goals by Orange cuts it to 7-4, but Lang answers. 8-4, 9 mins to go in third.

Date: April 12, 2011 08:32PM

Gotta stop giving 'em EMOs.

Date: April 12, 2011 08:37PM

10-4 and the announcers are really starting to cry

Date: April 12, 2011 08:43PM

tretiak
10-4 and the announcers are really starting to cry
About what? Refs, etc or SU's play?

Date: April 12, 2011 08:49PM

SU's play - just blatant Syracuse homerism. Every time Cornell scores it sounds like Cornell collectively kicked their dog. 10-5 11:45 left

Date: April 12, 2011 08:54PM

We might be playing too cautiously.

Date: April 12, 2011 09:00PM

We might be playing too cautiously.

Agreed. This is the worst quarter Cornell's played tonight. 10-6 4:30 left.

Re: CU 11-SU 6 Lacrosse
Date: April 12, 2011 09:15PM

Incredible game for Cornell. [edit add:] It feels as if Cornell was very aware of how its fourth quarter lead collapsed vs. Syracuse Memorial Day 2009. No doubts today about whether DeLuca was ready to step in and lead.

The victory made slightly sweeter hearing the Syracuse announcers wimper such as complaining about how unfair, how unnecessary it was for Cornell fans to chant "Overrated." I think their remark was that Syracuse was properly rated and Cornell should be rated just above them.

Assuming Cornell wins out in the RS and Ivy tournament (remember that as of today Princeton is not even guaranteed a spot in the four-team tournament), the NCAA will have to get creative in sticking Cornell with a crappy seeding.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 09:38PM by billhoward.

11-6 final. Huge win. Loud overrated chant heard in the Dome. Someone please put the Syracuse announcers on suicide watch.

Posted by: Ben (---.redrover.cornell.edu)

Needless to say, a great win. (Now I'm even more annoyed that I couldn't make the trip up there.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 09:15PM by Ben.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:47PM

Great win, need to close the season out strong now.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 11:30PM

tretiak

SU's play - just blatant Syracuse homerism. Every time Cornell scores it sounds like Cornell collectively kicked their dog. 10-5 11:45 left
I thought that they tried to be objective despite being obviously Syracuse fans. They continually praised Cornell's man-to-man defense and Lang. And they referred to Pannell often as the best player in the country. While they were down on Syracuse's play today, they mentioned that they felt Syracuse wasn't that great in many close wins earlier this year. They did say say they thought that if Syracuse had another 30 minutes, the result wouldn't be any different - Cornell was just much better. The color guy said that he votes in the media poll and said he'd have Cornell at #1 next week.

Date: April 13, 2011 06:43AM

jkahn
tretiak

I thought that they tried to be objective despite being obviously Syracuse fans. They continually praised Cornell's man-to-man defense and Lang. And they referred to Pannell often as the best player in the country. While they were down on Syracuse's play today, they mentioned that they felt Syracuse wasn't that great in many close wins earlier this year. They did say say they thought that if Syracuse had another 30 minutes, the result wouldn't be any different - Cornell was just much better. The color guy said that he votes in the media poll and said he'd have Cornell at #1 next week.
The announcers gave a stab a balance and then, like the Orange on the field, retreated into something less than excellence. By building up Cornell they were saying a great Syracuse team was beaten by a greater team, on this day. They lamented the absence of their best defender, and fair enough, since our broadcast crew in early March mentioned how the absence of Max Feely may have been a difference in the 11-9 (attn Syracuse: two-goal difference, not five) loss to Army. Then at another point they played what-if and said, lookee how Cornell's defense totally shut down the best of the Syracuse attack, and imagine if the best Syracuse defender, John Lade, had played, and since Pannell had half the offense (3G, 3A, missed open net in the final minute - good thing it wasn't a one-goal game at the time) one could reasonably expect it would've been a close game. They clung to that thought as a drowning man to a piece of driftwood.

Makes you realize how dinky little Ithaca still supports a high quality broadcast crew for hockey, lax, and other sports. Our guys tell the Cornell side but you could tune in from Hanover, NH, or Princeton, and still a get a very fair sense of both sides of a game.

Assuming the color guy has a vote and not just a metaphorical "Cornell gets my vote," well, fair enough, but I think Notre Dame really ought to be No. 1 and probably will be. They haven't played just pushovers. I wouldn't mind us at #2 but I'd really prefer us at #2 in the seedings. And for seedings, that loss to Army that has been losing to the likes of Buckness, that's gonna hurt. Say, did I tell you how Max Feely was out and if he wasn't it woulda been a whole different game?

Date: April 13, 2011 06:59AM

Comprehensive post-game write-up here on Inside Lacrosse: [games.insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: dbilmes (72.10.101.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 08:09AM

As a former sports editor of The Daily Sun, I'm disappointed that there is no mention of the game this morning in either the print or online version of the paper. cryApparently, the Sun sports staff no longer knows how to write on deadline. Syracuse is only an hour away, and there's no excuse for not covering it and having a story in today's paper.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 08:14AM

dbilmes
As a former sports editor of The Daily Sun, I'm disappointed that there is no mention of the game this morning in either the print or online version of the paper. cryApparently, the Sun sports staff no longer knows how to write on deadline. Syracuse is only an hour away, and there's no excuse for not covering it and having a story in today's paper.

And bump the lead story on the 46th-ranked tennis team? Are you nuts??

Date: April 13, 2011 08:27AM

Al DeFlorio
Comprehensive post-game write-up here on Inside Lacrosse: [games.insidelacrosse.com]

And Syracuse Post-Standard article here.

Date: April 13, 2011 08:34AM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio

And Syracuse Post-Standard article here.
The Dave Rahme video and Syracuse post-game press conference video are also on that page.

Date: April 13, 2011 08:43AM

dbilmes
The Sun a while back chose to split coverage of weekend events into Monday and Tuesday coverage. Most dailies choose to run larger sports sections on weekends and Mondays and it's unfortunate the Sun Sports Editor lobbying wiht the Editor-in-Chief / Managing Editor don't also give over more space on Monday. I believe some college editors come to college newspapers out of a belief the paper is a lever to change the world, as opposed to a place to see how your teams performed and do the crossword. To not cover the Syracuse game, arguably the most important sports event this year outside of the women's NCAA hockey title run and the wrestling team at the nationals, was not in the best interest of the readers.

David, I'm sure you know there's a Sun editor / alumni reunion event this Friday at the Cornell Club. For the first time in years, I can't make it. You go, and raise the issue in the round-robin of introductions that Sun den mother Stan Chess '69 calls for. The feedback may be painful but important. You might note there was room for this story, which leads the Sun's web page today: "Parent Support for Cornell Child Care Center Rises."

Posted by: dag14 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 13, 2011 10:43AM

I, too, was shocked and disappointed in the Sun's lack of coverage. While I am a strong supporter of all of Cornell's sports teams, bumping a column and eliminating an atsy rowing picture on the back page would have provdided the column inches necessary to accomodate lacrosse coverage on the back page. And we need "off the grid" -- which I assume serves as Tuesday sports "filler" more than we need timely coverage of the Syracuse lacrosse game? I don't think the featured 4 baseball players would be upset....

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:03AM

billhoward
jkahn
tretiak

The announcers gave a stab a balance and then, like the Orange on the field, retreated into something less than excellence. By building up Cornell they were saying a great Syracuse team was beaten by a greater team, on this day. They lamented the absence of their best defender, and fair enough, since our broadcast crew in early March mentioned how the absence of Max Feely may have been a difference in the 11-9 (attn Syracuse: two-goal difference, not five) loss to Army. Then at another point they played what-if and said, lookee how Cornell's defense totally shut down the best of the Syracuse attack, and imagine if the best Syracuse defender, John Lade, had played, and since Pannell had half the offense (3G, 3A, missed open net in the final minute - good thing it wasn't a one-goal game at the time) one could reasonably expect it would've been a close game. They clung to that thought as a drowning man to a piece of driftwood.
I didn't see the game or hear the call but I have to say... that sounds like a pretty reasonable analysis from the SU broadcast team. Unreasonable analysis is calling Cornell lucky or whining about the refs. Saying that a top 5 team currently kicking your team's ass is "great" hardly seems like a backdoor way of complimenting your own squad. Wondering if your top defenseman would have made a game closer is rational.

My armchair analysis of your own report of the SU crew is that they called a fair game and slanted their coverage towards their expected audience: fans of the Orange.

Edit: One more thing. Fuck yeah, Big Red!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 11:04AM by ugarte.

Date: April 13, 2011 01:23PM

I agree with bill that they tried and then went back to being homers. Three things that annoyed me:

Unreasonable analysis is calling Cornell lucky

To the announcers, Fiore's good saves were due to luck. On the other hand, Galloway was a great goalie making great saves. Just give credit to both goalies.

Saying that a top 5 team currently kicking your team's ass is "great" hardly seems like a backdoor way of complimenting your own squad.

The "I would vote Cornell #1" statement was made while the same announcer was bitching about the overrated chant and how that was unfair to Syracuse. I've never heard an announcer get that bent out of shape over a harmless chant.

3. Several times I had to watch the Cornell players celebrate to realize it was a goal. When Syracuse scored, I thought I was listening to Hawk Harrelson (YESSSSSSSS! SYRACUSE SCORES! AND IT'S 6-2! AMIDON WANTS THAT BALL!)

Posted by: snert1288 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 13, 2011 01:52PM

I completely agree with you that the lacrosse game deserved better coverage, however, the Daily Sun did cover the game today on page 16. It was a small article, but it is better than nothing.

Posted by: Robb (130.76.221.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 02:20PM

snert1288
I completely agree with you that the lacrosse game deserved better coverage, however, the Daily Sun did cover the game today on page 16. It was a small article, but it is better than nothing.

Really? If it were nothing, I could at least let it slide thinking that perhaps they couldn't get the story in by the print deadline. Since they managed to get a small article in, it seems even more egregious not to have a back page story when Cornell's #2 (or is that wrestling now?) signature sport dismantles an undefeated, consensus #1, local and historical rival on its own turf.

Date: April 13, 2011 02:30PM

Press run for an under 30,000-circ paper can be done in an hour, sometime after last call, and still be delivered by 6 a.m.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 02:39PM

If you go to Syracuse's athletics site and open All Access, both team's post-game press conferences are available for free. (Btw, Syracuse's All Access doesn't mess around; the same night the game was available in the archive along with a highlight package).

Posted by: dag14 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 13, 2011 03:14PM

Wow. I read/scanned the entire print edition and didn't even see the article tucked in next to a couple of huge ads on page 16.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 13, 2011 03:43PM

billhoward
Press run for an under 30,000-circ paper can be done in an hour, sometime after last call, and still be delivered by 6 a.m.
Worse IMO is that it doesn't appear to be in any obvious place on the website. Frankly, I'm surprised college-aged people still read the OnDeadTree edition, but for the story not to be in an obvious place on the website is inexcusable.

Overrated Chant
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2011 06:51PM

tretiak
Loud overrated chant heard in the Dome.

I really don't like it. It diminishes the magnitude of our accomplishment and starts a fire in the Cuse players that will burn hotter if we meet in the playoffs.

From The Syracuse.com piece:

Guadagnolo’s late turnover had nothing to do with the outcome other than give a Cornell student section a chance to unload on the home team.

“That’s OK,” SU attackman JoJo Marasco said. “It’s some motivation for us. We needed a loss in the past couple of years to wake us up. We’ll see how we respond.”

Whether the chant awakens a sleeping giant remains to be seen. This much is certain, though: SU is a wounded giant.

Yeah, I'm an old fart. Not as old as Al, though.cuss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 07:03PM by TimV.

Date: April 13, 2011 09:48PM

Tim, players have to expect to hear the "over-rated" chant. What they'll remember is a newspaper clip day-of-game where some player talks cocky or talks trash. I don't see Cornell players doing that. Unless Kevin Garnett just matriculated.

And what else can Syracuse say better than "we needed a loss to wake us up" as if it was all part of the plan.

Re: Overrated Chant
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:50PM

TimV
tretiak
Loud overrated chant heard in the Dome.

I really don't like it. It diminishes the magnitude of our accomplishment
Bah. What it means is "you are ranked higher than us because people are dumb."

Date: April 14, 2011 12:35AM

Yeah but the chant did what it was supposed to make SU even angrier, we have had enough painful losses to these guys over the past few years that we will always have more of a chip going into the game

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 07:46AM

phillysportsfan
Yeah but the chant did what it was supposed to make SU even angrier, we have had enough painful losses to these guys over the past few years that we will always have more of a chip going into the game

I don't think the SU players cared at all what 20 Cornell students were chanting; they will probably have enough motivation in the NCAA tournament, b/c well, it's the NCAA tournament.

Date: April 14, 2011 08:49AM

Usually I would think they dont care but it is odd that they brought in up or gave it a comment after the game

Date: April 14, 2011 12:14PM

phillysportsfan
Usually I would think they dont care but it is odd that they brought in up or gave it a comment after the game
The story appears to be that the reporter asked the Syracuse player what he thought of the chant and the player offered a response, which was quoted, and then the writer added a closing thought.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 14, 2011 01:42PM

billhoward
phillysportsfan
The story appears to be that the reporter asked the Syracuse player what he thought of the chant and the player offered a response, which was quoted, and then the writer added a closing thought.

The Post-Standard likes starting stories about demoralizing CU lax games with tales of our taunts. I'm pretty sure I was the source of the voice which kicks off this article from 2002.

Date: April 16, 2011 10:22AM

RichH
billhoward
phillysportsfan

The Post-Standard likes starting stories about demoralizing CU lax games with tales of our taunts. I'm pretty sure I was the source of the voice which kicks off this article from 2002.
Warhol. Fifteen minutes. In a different era, of a different gender, you could have been painted on the nose of a B-17 in profile in your swimming suit. Cherish those moments. And sometime in the future you'll get your adoring grandchildren to say "What a great story, Poppi, tell it again." It means they think you're redrawing your estate plans.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2011 01:47AM

billhoward
RichH
billhoward
phillysportsfan

Warhol. Fifteen minutes. In a different era, of a different gender, you could have been painted on the nose of a B-17 in profile in your swimming suit. Cherish those moments. And sometime in the future you'll get your adoring grandchildren to say "What a great story, Poppi, tell it again." It means they think you're redrawing your estate plans.

You're really weird.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login