Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Nice Tambroni article from Baltimore Sun

Posted by TimV 
Nice Tambroni article from Baltimore Sun
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 11:46PM

Here

Re: Nice Tambroni article from Baltimore Sun
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 08:06AM

TimV
Here
A nice Tambroni article? Why do I want to read a nice Tambroni article!? [/fake rage]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 12:18PM

While the picture of him in a Cornell jacket and hat is nice, he's not ours anymore.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 12:52PM

Yeah while I appreciate everything he did here, I cant root for Penn State to do well at anything. He could compete for national championships here and did, I accepted Donahue leaving because he left for a program where he could have a reasonable shot at national championships

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 03:53PM

I have all the same feelings and I don't want to admit it. In the darkest corners of my heart I hope he sinks like a stone. In spite of the talk about blue collar grinders, hard hat/lunchbox/family blah blah blah the tone is still that he'll create another Syracuse or UVa loaded with blue-chip Baltimore area recruits. He never did that well with Central NY recruits, but maybe the lower academic threshold in Happy Valley will change that. There's a lot of enthusiasm on the Penn State Laxpowerthread, but regardless, I find it hard to believe he'll have the same alumni, university (other than financial ) and "Family" support he had for his program here. It's still all about the Benjamins. Not you, Coach DeLuca.

Hillel- what do you think?

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 03:59PM

[bwi.rivals.com]
All Penn State cares about is football, nothing else. The above link proves it, they kicked their basketball team out of their gym and practice facility to let Bon Jovi practice there. The basketball team then had to go to a volleyball court which they converted to use for basketball by putting up some crooked rims

Yeah I agree it is just another case of the big time school throwing money at sports, Penn State also got that $100 million donation earlier this year to start a DI hockey program, I hope they fail.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 04:03PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 18, 2011 05:25PM

As the son and nephew of Penn State alumni, and a 46 year resident of PA (all but the 4 years spent in Ithaca), I do like to see their teams succeed.

But I do not want to see their teams become better than, or God forbid beat, Cornell. My loyalty only goes so far.

Posted by: srg1 (---.sub-174-252-22.myvzw.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 04:25PM

Penn State made a big time hire with their wrestling coach and they did the same for men's lacrosse. They have yet to ante up for a top men's basketball coach. Football is in a period of transition with Paterno on his way out combined with them jacking up the cost to subscribe to football season tickets.

As for hockey, I think they were short sighted when they built that arena in the 90s without the ability to host a hockey team. They needed the donation to make up for that decision.

Tambroni has to do what is best for him and his family. I wish him the best of luck.

Posted by: Redscore (---.mvcable.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 07:03PM

We all have to do what's best for our family and for ourselves. That goes without saying. Its the way we do it that determines how we are thought of by others and how we think of ourselves. If Tambroni can look in the mirror and feel that he did the right thing, nothing else should matter. However, we are also all within our rights to have an opinion on his decision to leave and to state that opinion. We will never know all the reasons or facts behind the decision, which is the case in most such cases, but we are still entitled to our opinion given the facts as we know them. I readily accept the fact that I don't have all the facts but I also know that given what I know, I won't root for Penn State lacrosse and don't care for Cornell to schedule them or go out of our way to play them. I thought he was a terrific coach and I was proud to have him at Cornell but that's all in the past.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2011 09:25PM

srg1
Penn State made a big time hire with their wrestling coach and they did the same for men's lacrosse. They have yet to ante up for a top men's basketball coach. Football is in a period of transition with Paterno on his way out combined with them jacking up the cost to subscribe to football season tickets.

As for hockey, I think they were short sighted when they built that arena in the 90s without the ability to host a hockey team. They needed the donation to make up for that decision.

Tambroni has to do what is best for him and his family. I wish him the best of luck.
I don't want to give the impression that I wish Tambroni ill (except to the extent that he beats/does better than Cornell). I just don't much care about him either way any more. It's not like the guy is an alum. He came to Cornell, coached, left. I feel differently about Donahue for the same reason philly does; ACC basketball is a step up from the Ivy League. Going from Cornell to Penn State in lax is a raise not a promotion. More power to him - I'd probably make the same decision - but that doesn't mean I'm going to follow his career.

As for Penn State hiring a big time basketball coach... I'd bet they couldn't hire a big-time basketball coach's top assistant for what they are paying Sanderson or Tambroni. The pay scale is much different. Boston College got Donahue for just shy of a million and he wasn't a "big-time" hire.

Posted by: Redscore (---.mvcable.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 10:21AM

A lot of the points mentioned in the article and attributed to Tambroni were actually Cornell Lacrosse differentiators even before Tambroni got here. That whole family atmosphere at games existed in spades under Richie and excuse me, Cornell did not become a power UNDER Tambroni. While it is absolutely true that we reemerged under Tambroni, Coaches such as, do I really need to name them? created a tradition abd culture that was unbelievably powerful. Tambroni was an all star coach, the greatest possible, during the Boiardi tragedy but the roots for the reaction to that tragedy were sowed over many many years. Tambroni, an admittedly terrific coach, was matched up with players, families and a support system that had been carefully nurtured by many terrific people associated with Cornell Lacrosse over the years. I think that's the crap part of the article. It can't be assumed that Tambroni did everything to bring Cornell to the top and can just do it again at Penn State, and that is what the article is all about. Oh well, time for me to move on...

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 22, 2011 05:51PM

Very well said.rock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login