Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Colgate football

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell - Colgate football
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 01:57PM

Apparently, it's horrible, though the CU video links are wrong and LiveStats keeps dying. Last I saw, 31-0 Raiders in the 2nd quarter.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 01:58PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell - Colgate football
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 02:02PM

Trotsky
Apparently, it's horrible, though the CU video links are wrong and LiveStats keeps dying. Last I saw, 31-0 Raiders in the 2nd quarter.

On the iBN page, below the video, find the "upcoming" box and click the Colgate game. When I clicked the link on the REDCAST football home page I got Cornell-Yale, and that was how I got the Colgate-Cornell game up.

I need to remember not to enter into a friendly bet with my boss on the Cornell-Penn game.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 02:04PM

[scores.espn.go.com]
[scores.espn.go.com]
Live stats on espn always stays up to date

31-0 at the half, at least basketball and hockey season is finally here

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 02:10PM

Cornell has given up 4 TDs in the 2d quarter, all on the ground. The shortest one was 25 yards. (26, 66, 53, 25). I assume the fourth TD run would have been longer but the drive started on Cornell's 27.

Re: Cornell 0 - Colgate 31 (halftime) football
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 02:11PM

Colgate gets 21 points within four minutes in the second quarter off big plays and breaks the game open for a 31-0 halftime lead. Time of possession was even (Colgate +10 seconds) and so was number of plays (Colgate+3) but total yardage was 320-61. Tough day for Cornell and it's only halfway over.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 02:12PM by billhoward.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 04:03PM

44-3 was the final score.

Date: October 16, 2010 04:24PM

Colgate 44 @ Princeton 10
    Colgate 44 @ Cornell 3

Should be an evenly matched game when Princeton plays at Cornell in two weeks.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 04:44PM

Did Jeff Mathews finish the game in one piece?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 07:55PM

Colgate with 48 carries for 440 yards, including 25 for 291 for Nate Eachus.

Ouch.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 10:47PM

I drove from Rochester to witness this game, so I felt compelled to see if there was a worse defeat in the modern era of Cornell football (defined as the 50 years since I matriculated in 1960.) Interestingly, we lost to Rutgers by an identical score in 1980. But it gets worse -- we lost to Colgate 7-60 in 1983. Not including this year, 11 Cornell coaches had a record of 218-251-9 over that span.

Date: October 16, 2010 11:43PM

George64
I drove from Rochester to witness this game, so I felt compelled to see if there was a worse defeat in the modern era of Cornell football (defined as the 50 years since I matriculated in 1960.) Interestingly, we lost to Rutgers by an identical score in 1980. But it gets worse -- we lost to Colgate 7-60 in 1983. Not including this year, 11 Cornell coaches had a record of 218-251-9 over that span.
One small piece of good news is that Colgate is off the schedule as of 2012, to be replaced by Monmouth College, who opened this season by losing 27-7 to Wartburg.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 12:06AM

Why is that good, Al? By 2012 this coach will have about three recruiting classes in, and playing Marshmallow College won't help us beat Penn or Harvard. If we can't be competitive with the friggin Patriot League by 2012 we got the wrong coach again.

Posted by: RedDog (---.dhcp.plbg.ny.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 07:40AM

Actually, 2012 will only be Austin's second recruiting class....he has yet to recruit a player, having been hired in late January......

Can't afford any more injuries, but I see us competitive in the last five....with at least a couple wins...

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 07:51AM

RedDog
Actually, 2012 will only be Austin's second recruiting class....he has yet to recruit a player, having been hired in late January......

Can't afford any more injuries, but I see us competitive in the last five....with at least a couple wins...

Hard to agree given yesterday's results. You seriously believe we'll be competitive with Penn this year?

Date: October 17, 2010 08:12AM

TimV
Why is that good, Al? By 2012 this coach will have about three recruiting classes in, and playing Marshmallow College won't help us beat Penn or Harvard. If we can't be competitive with the friggin Patriot League by 2012 we got the wrong coach again.
In fact, Tim, I agree. My posting was a poorly-written, tongue-in-cheek response to George64's expression of long-term frustration, the duration of which is only one year longer than mine. Surely there's a football version of Ned Harkness out there somewhere.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 08:38AM

Meaning no disrespect to Ned, my dad '51 was a friend of his, but I don't thing looking for another Ned Harkness is the answer. Ned recruited heavily in Canada when the rest of the league did not. He was a visionary in that respect but I don't think there is a large pool of untapped football talent that will allow his doppelganger to tap and steal a march on the rest of the Ivy League.

Posted by: RedDog (---.dhcp.plbg.ny.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:06AM

Of the last five, Penn will obviously be the toughest game, especially if we have any more injuries AND if they don't grab a W somewhere along the line.....but I'm not sure Penn is nearly the team they've been in the past.....bottom line, if a team runs the ball well, we're in big trouble....

Date: October 17, 2010 10:20AM

Towerroad
Meaning no disrespect to Ned, my dad '51 was a friend of his, but I don't thing looking for another Ned Harkness is the answer. Ned recruited heavily in Canada when the rest of the league did not. He was a visionary in that respect but I don't think there is a large pool of untapped football talent that will allow his doppelganger to tap and steal a march on the rest of the Ivy League.
Ned took a 4-7 lacrosse team, and without help from any recruiting on his part (freshmen were ineligible) turned them into a 12-0 team the following year. If you think Ned's success came solely from recruiting, you simply don't understand.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:53AM

Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Ned took a 4-7 lacrosse team, and without help from any recruiting on his part (freshmen were ineligible) turned them into a 12-0 team the following year. If you think Ned's success came solely from recruiting, you simply don't understand.
And Ned competed in more than the Ivy League. He was competitive nationally, and aside from the notable exceptions of BC and Minnesota, the NCAA teams accepted Canadians.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 12:01PM

Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Agreed. If you talk to some of the guys who played during that transitional time, they attribute a lot of the turnaround to attitude-bending cultural changes. One small example: A total freak for order, Ned insisted that the equipment staff lay out all the gear and attire in the locker room neatly in front of each locker -- every little thing, down to the socks.

Date: October 17, 2010 03:09PM

Actually, Ned recruited (coerced?) his hockey All-American defenseman, Harry Orr, to play Lacrosse in his Junior year (Ned's first as coach.) Orr had a wicked sidearm shot and scored 16 goals as a midfielder.

Date: October 17, 2010 03:44PM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
And Ned competed in more than the Ivy League. He was competitive nationally, and aside from the notable exceptions of BC and Minnesota, the NCAA teams accepted Canadians.
Right. What's more, Canadian players (e.g., Steve Kijanka, Rudy Mateka, Jerry Kostandoff, Laing Kennedy) were at the core of Cornell's pre-Ned hockey teams. It wasn't like he achieved some kind of revolutionary innovation by recruiting in Canada.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 04:20PM

George64
we lost to Colgate 7-60 in 1983.
This was the only Cornell football game I saw as an undergrad. By the end, the Cornell part of the crowd was cheering for Colgate to score more.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 04:30PM

Trotsky
George64
This was the only Cornell football game I saw as an undergrad. By the end, the Cornell part of the crowd was cheering for Colgate to score more.

That Colgate team had a QB named Steve Calabria who was touted as a pro, but never made it to the NFL as far as I know

Date: October 18, 2010 09:48AM

Al DeFlorio
One small piece of good news is that Colgate is off the schedule as of 2012, to be replaced by Monmouth College, who opened this season by losing 27-7 to Wartburg.
Our luck next year depends on whether it's Division III Monmouth College [www.monm.edu] in Illinois which fell to Wartburg or Monmouth University [www.gomuhawks.com] in NJ which opened with a one-point loss to Colgate. If it's Monmouth U, Cornell trades a potentially lopsided loss to a longstanding opponent with some gate appeal ... to a less-known entitity and the same potential for a bad ending. We've got to hope that the team starts to make its upward climb next year. The Cornell football 2012 schedule does link to Monmouth College: [www.cornellbigred.com]. It says we play Fordham (away), Monmouth, and Bucknell, plus the seven Ivy opponnents.

Meanwhile, we make up for the loss of Colgate in football by scheduling them three times in hockey this year, including Thanksgiving Saturday at the Prudential Center?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:53AM

Trotsky
George64

At the next game, they must have had some stern letters waiting for them from the Anaphoric Society.

Date: October 18, 2010 10:23AM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
Our luck next year depends on whether it's Division III Monmouth College [www.monm.edu] in Illinois which fell to Wartburg or Monmouth University [www.gomuhawks.com] in NJ which opened with a one-point loss to Colgate. If it's Monmouth U, Cornell trades a potentially lopsided loss to a longstanding opponent with some gate appeal ... to a less-known entitity and the same potential for a bad ending. We've got to hope that the team starts to make its upward climb next year. The Cornell football 2012 schedule does link to Monmouth College: [www.cornellbigred.com]. It says we play Fordham (away), Monmouth, and Bucknell, plus the seven Ivy opponnents.

Meanwhile, we make up for the loss of Colgate in football by scheduling them three times in hockey this year, including Thanksgiving Saturday at the Prudential Center?
The logo on the Cornell schedule also says "Fighting Scots." Of course, it is the cornellbigred.com web site, so, who knows?

Date: October 18, 2010 10:49AM

Towerroad - keep your feelthy keyboard away from Ned - or Jim, Al and I will be forced to continue to slap you.:-}

Date: October 18, 2010 10:55AM

I think it was more underhand than sidearm - kinda like a slapshot from the point. He hit a Dartmouth goaltender in the ankle with it and took him out of the game on old Lower Alumni Field. The grass still won't grow along the tracks of his shots there, that building notwithstanding.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 01:28PM

I assume it's Monmouth, NJ, alma mater of one of the Jersey Shore cast, IINM. (Or it might have been the girlfriend in "Clerks." )
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 01:29PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 18, 2010 03:48PM

TimV
I think it was more underhand than sidearm - kinda like a slapshot from the point. He hit a Dartmouth goaltender in the ankle with it and took him out of the game on old Lower Alumni Field. The grass still won't grow along the tracks of his shots there, that building notwithstanding.

Yes, I stand corrected. Orr's underhand shot was like a Larry Fullen slap shot - hard and really low.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 03:55PM

Fighting Scots is okay but not Fighting Sioux, apparently.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 03:56PM

Trotsky
I assume it's Monmouth, NJ, alma mater of one of the Jersey Shore cast, IINM. (Or it might have been the girlfriend in "Clerks." )

They'll score 36 on us; at the same time.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: October 18, 2010 04:08PM

Trotsky

I believe Miles Austin of the Cowboys went to Monmouth as well.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 06:10PM

billhoward
I think 'Fighting Scots' falls into the same category as 'Fighting Irish' - you are referencing the origins of the school, not "honoring" another culture. Elon, formerly the 'Fightin' Christians,' changed their mascot to the Phoenix but not under duress, and I'm not aware of any Dutch organization that wanted to see Hofstra change its name to the Pride. See also, "Quakers" by some school I can't recall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 06:11PM by ugarte.

Date: October 18, 2010 10:00PM

ugarte
billhoward
I think 'Fighting Scots' falls into the same category as 'Fighting Irish' - you are referencing the origins of the school, not "honoring" another culture. Elon, formerly the 'Fightin' Christians,' changed their mascot to the Phoenix but not under duress, and I'm not aware of any Dutch organization that wanted to see Hofstra change its name to the Pride. See also, "Quakers" by some school I can't recall.
I'm all for Penn being the Fighting Quakers. Maybe at least their Ultimate Frisbee team.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 19, 2010 02:40PM

billhoward
I'm all for Penn being the Fighting Quakers. Maybe at least their Ultimate Frisbee team.

One of my favorite oxymorons.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 19, 2010 05:00PM

TimV
billhoward

One of my favorite oxymorons.

I agree. "Ultimate" and "Frisbee" are total opposites. :-D

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 19, 2010 05:08PM

billhoward

I was in New Mexico last week and was thinking exactly the same thing as I passed by one of the Scot reservations and reminisced about playing Cowboys and Scots as a child. deadhorse
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 11:24PM by Roy 82.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login