Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Football picked eighth in media poll

Posted by nyc94 
Football picked eighth in media poll
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 14, 2010 03:40PM

Not much to discuss.

School        Points
1. Harvard (10)  128    
2. Penn (6)      124
3. Brown         95    
4. Yale (1)      83    
5. Columbia      61
6. Princeton     55
7. Dartmouth     39
8. Cornell       27
[cornellbigred.com]

Re: Football picked eighth in media poll
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 07:41PM

"We finished last with you and we can finish last without you." (Branch Rickey to Ralph Kiner)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2010 03:43PM

Awesome! The year after the basketball team finishes in the top 20, the football team is going to be top 10!

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 08:32PM

I can't remember Columbia being a preseason pick to finish that high. At least one Ivy football program from New York State is heading in the right direction!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 01:00PM

Well, this may as well be the 2010 football thread. It will help keep things in perspective.

I can't find a depth chart, so here are our skill position players. Anybody with some knowledge care to comment on who will be a key or peripheral performer, and who's on the practice squad? (2009 stats in parens)

QB Chris Amrheim (6 pass)
QB Josh Vick
QB Adam Currie (30 rush, 207 pass)
QB Houston Hawley
QB Michael DiChiara

RB Troy Lewis
RB Dustin Dillard
RB Nick Booker-Tandy
RB Marcus Hendren (232 rush, 6 receive)
RB Grant Gellatly
RB Bobby Murphy
RB Taylor Engstrom
RB Nick Mlady (55 rush, 5 receive)
RB Josh Boyle
RB Brian Murray

TE John Nitti
TE Ryan Houska (132 receive)
TE Kyle Arendsen
TE Jake Allyn
TE J. C. Tretter (18 receive)

WR Tom Randall
WR Alex Johnson
WR Chris Dennis
WR Evan Maclin
WR Ty Siam
WR Luke Tasker
WR John Alexander
WR Shane Savage (9 rush, 37 pass, 371 receive)
WR Walter Simmons
WR Ben Moody (40 rush, 1 receive)
WR Nick Baccile
WR Graham Tenney
WR Kurt Ondash
WR Matt Drumheller
WR Jon Scheidler
WR E. J. Williams
WR Doug Dolan
WR Jesse Heon
WR Davis Austin
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 01:07PM by Trotsky.

Re: Football picked eighth in media poll -LGR
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 04:20PM

I was going to write something snarky about how when you finish the season so badly, graduation losses can't hurt all that much. Or wonder if the ROTC conditioning and positive-attitudes coach is back. But never mind. Good luck to the team. It takes dedication to show up each day for practice the season will have a lot bad days. Maybe Kent Austin can lead us out of the wilderness. Andy Noel has made more good than bad hires or (as someone pointed out to me) good contract-renewals.

Date: September 10, 2010 04:29PM

Think of it as getting in on the ground floor.

The schedule. NYC folks will be glad to see they are coming down twice this year:

09/18 01:00 at Wagner
09/25 12:30 Yale (homecoming)
10/02 03:30 at Bucknell
10/09 12:00 at Harvard
10/16 12:30 Colgate
10/23 12:30 at Brown
10/30 12:30 Princeton
11/06 12:30 Dartmouth
11/13 12:30 at Columbia
11/20 12:30 Penn
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 04:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 05:24PM

Trotsky

The schedule. NYC folks will be glad to see they are coming down twice this year:

Are you under the impression that Staten Island counts?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2010 05:37PM

I don't much care that they're playing on Staten Island while I'll be fasting in shul, but it'll be nice to have another Sy Katz Parade this year on November 13.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 07:27PM

Trotsky
Well, this may as well be the 2010 football thread. It will help keep things in perspective.

I can't find a depth chart, so here are our skill position players. Anybody with some knowledge care to comment on who will be a key or peripheral performer, and who's on the practice squad? (2009 stats in parens)

QB Chris Amrheim (6 pass)
QB Josh Vick
QB Adam Currie (30 rush, 207 pass)
QB Houston Hawley
QB Michael DiChiara
I am hoping that Jeff Mathews, a 6'4", 216 pounder who passed for 3,314 yards and 37 touchdowns last year in California high school football, will turn out to be a first-rate Ivy League quarterback.

Date: September 12, 2010 11:07PM

ugarte
Trotsky

Are you under the impression that Staten Island counts?
Meh. You all talk funny.

Date: September 13, 2010 08:13AM

Wagner, like Stevens in Hoboken, has an awesome view of NYC. The previous Wagner president had grand schemes to turn Wagner into an Amherst-level mecca on NYC pushing proximity to NYC along with a water barrier from the rougher elements of the other boroughs so your sons and daughters remain unaffected. Good idea but it fell through.

I'm going since a) I've got nothing better to do, and b) I want to see an unbeaten Big Red football team play. But for sure it's the Columbia game that Cornell U is gearing up for, for fans / alumni / students. Our class will have a reception Friday as well other classes, there are unspecified but exciting (Cornell tells us) pre-game activities, and there will be a tailgate sponsored by the Cornell Football Assn at Baker - Wien field / complex that may be better to buy into that try to do your own. I read Columbia's tailgating rules and if I got it right, only Columbia boosters in the Kitty Cat Club or whatever they call their upscale fan base, are allowed to park within the complex and only people who park within the complex are allowed to bring in their own liquor.

Statistically, we're due.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 08:37AM

billhoward
Wagner, like Stevens in Hoboken, has an awesome view of NYC. The previous Wagner president had grand schemes to turn Wagner into an Amherst-level mecca on NYC pushing proximity to NYC along with a water barrier from the rougher elements of the other boroughs so your sons and daughters remain unaffected. Good idea but it fell through.

I'm going since a) I've got nothing better to do, and b) I want to see an unbeaten Big Red football team play. But for sure it's the Columbia game that Cornell U is gearing up for, for fans / alumni / students. Our class will have a reception Friday as well other classes, there are unspecified but exciting (Cornell tells us) pre-game activities, and there will be a tailgate sponsored by the Cornell Football Assn at Baker - Wien field / complex that may be better to buy into that try to do your own. I read Columbia's tailgating rules and if I got it right, only Columbia boosters in the Kitty Cat Club or whatever they call their upscale fan base, are allowed to park within the complex and only people who park within the complex are allowed to bring in their own liquor.

Statistically, we're due.
And Wagner was beaten badly by...um...Assumption, when their "late rally [consisting of six points] fell short."

Date: September 13, 2010 11:41AM

billhoward
The previous Wagner president had grand schemes to turn Wagner into an Amherst-level mecca on NYC pushing proximity to NYC along with a water barrier from the rougher elements of the other boroughs so your sons and daughters remain unaffected. Good idea but it fell through.
After Jersey Shore, I think the rest of the boroughs want the water barrier from Angelina, Vinny and the Situation.

Date: September 16, 2010 11:15AM

Beeeej
but it'll be nice to have another Sy Katz Parade this year on November 13.

With special grand marshal, Governor David A. Paterson!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2010 12:46PM

Two articles about CU in the Post-Standard. The first about Kent Austin starting, and the second about the three new high profile coaches.

That last article has an interesting quote about Tambroni's leaving.

“Jeff surprised me,” Noel admitted. “He turned their job down twice. He stated to me clearly that he was going to stay. When the Brown coach (Lars Tiffany) turned them down, they came back to him a third time. He did say no twice.”

Date: October 01, 2010 04:26PM

119th of 124 in I-AA.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 04:38PM

Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.
With hard work and determination we might be able to make it to #124.

Date: October 01, 2010 04:39PM

Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

Cornell at #114 Bucknell tomorrow.

Other fun facts from the game notes: Cornell is on a 10 game losing streak, tied for the longest in the history of the program.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 04:45PM by nyc94.

Date: October 01, 2010 04:41PM

nyc94
Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

I work with a Bucknell alumnus who assures me we can't possibly be worse than they.

Date: October 01, 2010 05:04PM

Trotsky
nyc94
Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

I work with a Bucknell alumnus who assures me we can't possibly be worse than they.

The game is supposed to be on CBS College Sports at 3:30 PM EDT.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 05:40PM

Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

Hard to believe we are not 124th

Date: October 01, 2010 09:44PM

Not many sports where we're currently 48 positions lower than Columbia.

What does Kent Austin need to show he's a miracle worker? Maybe two good recruiting classes that are all his? I don't think the class of 2014 counts as all his. In fact, I'd like to see the Sun ask some of the players, "What made you choose Cornell when it didn't have a coach until late, late, late in the recruiting cycle?"

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 11:37PM

phillysportsfan
Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

How hard is it to believe? We are two games into the season and didn't even lose one of them that badly when we played the team ranked #49. I'm surprised we're ranked so low (already).

Date: October 02, 2010 12:03PM

Bonni and I will be at the game in Lewisburg today. Anybody there stop by; I'll be in the soul-destroyer shirt. banana

Date: October 02, 2010 12:15PM

ugarte
phillysportsfan
Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

How hard is it to believe? We are two games into the season and didn't even lose one of them that badly when we played the team ranked #49. I'm surprised we're ranked so low (already).

True they did play much better against Yale but they lost badly to #99 Wagner who got beat badly by a D2 school

Posted by: munchkin (---.partners.org)
Date: October 03, 2010 02:52PM

Trotsky
Bonni and I will be at the game in Lewisburg today. Anybody there stop by; I'll be in the soul-destroyer shirt. banana
That shirt just makes me SO happy, I've seen it in random pictures and now it's being used as an identifier.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 04, 2010 03:48PM

Jumped to #110! Suck it, Presbyterian, Campbell, and NC A&T!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 04, 2010 04:30PM

phillysportsfan
ugarte
phillysportsfan
Trotsky
119th of 124 in I-AA.

True they did play much better against Yale but they lost badly to #99 Wagner who got beat badly by a D2 school
Two points: First, 99 is not 120; we were beaten by a team that is actually better than us. Second, take a look at who is beneath us - even looking now doesn't mess this up too much - 5 of the bottom 11 schools are in the Pioneer conference. It takes a really awful team to be worse than the worst team in the Pioneer.

Date: October 05, 2010 09:27AM

Well, Harvard is #33 and we are playing in Alston. I guess we are probably looking at about a 14 point betting line.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 05, 2010 03:27PM

Trotsky
Well, Harvard is #33 and we are playing in Alston. I guess we are probably looking at about a 14 point betting line.

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!"

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2010 10:59PM

Trotsky
That close?

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 05, 2010 11:04PM

Towerroad
Trotsky

"I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!"

Folks are getting in the spirt for Atlantic City (that well-known hotbed of college hockey).

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 06, 2010 05:09PM

Trotsky

People bet on Ivy League football? Were these people specifically forbidden to bet on good games? :P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 06, 2010 05:42PM

French Rage
Trotsky

People bet on Ivy League football? Were these people specifically forbidden to bet on good games? :P

[www.nytimes.com]
It might not be a bad game to bet given the lack of knowledge and information about the teams by the people who set the betting lines. There was an article in the ny times a few years ago how a bunch of guys bet ivy league friday basketball games because there is nothing else going on and a lot of times the handicappers dont have great information on the teams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login