Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Basketball tournament expanding to 68 teams in 2011

Posted by nyc94 
Basketball tournament expanding to 68 teams in 2011
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:03PM

[www.usatoday.com]

The sport's signature event will grow to 68 teams from 65 in conjunction with a new 14-year, nearly $11 billion television agreement with CBS and Turner Sports announced Thursday. That gives the NCAA a 41% hike in annual media and marketing rights connected to the tournament — and "financial stability through the first quarter of this century," interim President Jim Isch said — without the controversy of a more dramatic move to a 96-team bracket.

Re: Basketball tournament expanding to 68 teams in 2011
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:25PM

Dumb.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:28PM

Jim Hyla
Dumb.
Yes, but not as dumb as 96.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:47PM

If you're gonna have 68, you might as well have 69. Heh heh heh.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2010 08:30AM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
Dumb.

I dunno, 68 says "fuck you" to eight minor conference champions instead of two. 96 would at least make the bye/non-bye division a little saner (1/3 with byes, 2/3 without).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 08:35AM

jtwcornell91
I dunno, 68 says "fuck you" to eight minor conference champions instead of two.

I had to read this four times to understand it, but, yes.

Posted by: RichH (12.189.157.---)
Date: April 23, 2010 09:38AM

Oh good, more basketball for me to ignore.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 11:17AM

jtwcornell91
Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla
Dumb.

I dunno, 68 says "fuck you" to eight minor conference champions instead of two. 96 would at least make the bye/non-bye division a little saner (1/3 with byes, 2/3 without).

96 would have watered down the season too much though, practically the whole Big East and ACC would make it every year, these teams would then play even weaker non-conf schedules since it wouldnt matter which would only hurt the mid majors

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:21PM

How about we go to a 33 team tournament. After all there are 33 DI conferences by my count.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:40PM

KeithK
How about we go to a 33 team tournament. After all there are 33 DI conferences by my count.
The traditionalist rises again!

While I don't like the jump to 68 either, MidMajority.com points out that there is a hidden advantage in the move to 68 (as there was in the move to 65). Yes, that means that 8 teams/conferences will be in PIGs instead of 2, but it also means that 4 conferences will get win shares for winning the PIG instead of 1. Counter-intuitively, it will send more money to the bottom-tier conferences, since it is incredibly rare for a 15/16 to bring back any more money than the appearance fee otherwise.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 23, 2010 01:36PM

ugarte
KeithK

While I don't like the jump to 68 either, MidMajority.com points out that there is a hidden advantage in the move to 68 (as there was in the move to 65). Yes, that means that 8 teams/conferences will be in PIGs instead of 2, but it also means that 4 conferences will get win shares for winning the PIG instead of 1. Counter-intuitively, it will send more money to the bottom-tier conferences, since it is incredibly rare for a 15/16 to bring back any more money than the appearance fee otherwise.

I dont think the NCAA has even decided if the 4 play in games will be for the 16 seed spot or will they be the bubble teams playing for a 12/13 spot.

Date: April 23, 2010 02:06PM

phillysportsfan
ugarte
KeithK

I suppose that's possible but highly unlikely. The point of expanding the tournament is to get a higher percentage of big name, big conference teams in the tournament.

I dont think the NCAA has even decided if the 4 play in games will be for the 16 seed spot or will they be the bubble teams playing for a 12/13 spot.
Do you really believe that would happen? I'd be shocked if they didn't have the playin at the bottom (which is how they do it now).

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 23, 2010 02:32PM

KeithK
phillysportsfan
ugarte
KeithK

I suppose that's possible but highly unlikely. The point of expanding the tournament is to get a higher percentage of big name, big conference teams in the tournament.

Do you really believe that would happen? I'd be shocked if they didn't have the playin at the bottom (which is how they do it now).

I dont think it would happen because the NCAA loves to screw the mid majors but I am still shocked they went to 68 instead of 96. The bubble teams playing each other would be better for tv ratings since they would be more name teams

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 05:40PM

I suspect the 68 was so all number one seeds get to play a team that had to play during the week.

Date: April 23, 2010 05:59PM

Jim Hyla
I suspect the 68 was so all number one seeds get to play a team that had to play during the week.
because it's so unfair for Duke or Kansas to have to play a 16 seed that hasn't played the day before. They might have to break a sweat to win!

You're probably right though. 68 does have that (minimal) symmetry.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 09:52PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
because it's so unfair for Duke or Kansas to have to play a 16 seed that hasn't played the day before. They might have to break a sweat to win!

You're probably right though. 68 does have that (minimal) symmetry.
Nah, that's overthinking it. It squeezes in three more 12/13 seeds from the big conferences (and possibly mid-majors). In exchange for giving an extra win share to three small conferences, three appearance shares (probably) go to the big boys.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 10:48PM

Does this make the possibility for a 16 to upset a 1 more or less likely? I could see both sides:

More - #1 seeds will now be playing the equivalent of a 15 seed in today's tournament since 15 plays 16 in the PIGtails. They will all face teams that have had their first tourney appearance jitters out of the way

Less - They will all face teams who have played two days before with more injuries/fatigue.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 10:00AM

Luke 05
Does this make the possibility for a 16 to upset a 1 more or less likely? I could see both sides:

More - #1 seeds will now be playing the equivalent of a 15 seed in today's tournament since 15 plays 16 in the PIGtails. They will all face teams that have had their first tourney appearance jitters out of the way

Less - They will all face teams who have played two days before with more injuries/fatigue.

They're still playing the equivalent of a 16 seed, possibly even a 17.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 02:15PM

why not just let the D2 and D3 tournaments play into the big dance as well? ... that way everyone knows who's the best team in the land.

it would make more money for the NC$$ and we know that's all they really care about these days.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 10:48PM

They won't play a 17 seed because Kansas/Duke/Syracuse/etc will still play Winthrop/MTSU/Morgan St/etc. They will not be adding the 2nd place team from the Socon to the dance so in essence the field is getting stronger at the bottom because the 15/16 seeds will be playing each other for the right to play the 1 seed.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 12:35PM

The field will get stronger in the middle. They'll add one more team from each of the big money conferences, more likely than they'll add a mid-major. All it will do is move the bubble down to more average big-confernce teams.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: April 27, 2010 11:36AM

Other than Alumni and relatives, nobody cares about the 64 vs. 65 game, and I can't believe the ratings are high.

TV spent big bucks, and TV wants ratings. I would not be at all surprised to see Tuesday/Wednesday doubleheaders for the 12 seeds. This way, people will actually watch the play-in games to see which bubble teams survive.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 11:57AM

nshapiro
Other than Alumni and relatives, nobody cares about the 64 vs. 65 game, and I can't believe the ratings are high.

TV spent big bucks, and TV wants ratings. I would not be at all surprised to see Tuesday/Wednesday doubleheaders for the 12 seeds. This way, people will actually watch the play-in games to see which bubble teams survive.

I'm not sure anybody other than alumni and relatives will watch eight majors that went sub-.500 in conference.

Date: April 27, 2010 12:35PM

Trotsky
nshapiro

I'm not sure anybody other than alumni and relatives will watch eight majors that went sub-.500 in conference.
Most years I don't understand why anyone watches most of the first round games. But they do.

Date: April 27, 2010 04:31PM

KeithK
Trotsky
nshapiro

Most years I don't understand why anyone watches most of the first round games. But they do.

I dont know how you can think that, sure the 1-16 games are bad but the rest of them are usually competitive, the first round was great this year with Georgetown losing, Nova getting pushed to OT, etc

Date: April 27, 2010 04:54PM

phillysportsfan
KeithK
Trotsky
nshapiro

I dont know how you can think that, sure the 1-16 games are bad but the rest of them are usually competitive, the first round was great this year with Georgetown losing, Nova getting pushed to OT, etc
It seems to me that 1-16 is never competitive and a number of the others (2-15, 3-14) are rarely in competitive, at least in most years. Maybe I'm wrong or are just using the final scores as a proxy for competitive, which may be misleading.

(And admittedly I'm not a basketball fan.)

Date: April 27, 2010 10:17PM

KeithK
phillysportsfan
KeithK
Trotsky
nshapiro

It seems to me that 1-16 is never competitive and a number of the others (2-15, 3-14) are rarely in competitive, at least in most years. Maybe I'm wrong or are just using the final scores as a proxy for competitive, which may be misleading.

There are always a lot of blowouts but there are always good games and there is always the chance for crazy upsets like this year Ohio U over Georgetown or Morgan St hitting that buzzer beater to beat Vandy. But college basketball is my favorite sport so I would watch it no matter what

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 11:01PM

phillysportsfan
KeithK
phillysportsfan
KeithK
Trotsky
nshapiro

There are always a lot of blowouts but there are always good games and there is always the chance for crazy upsets like this year Ohio U over Georgetown or Morgan St hitting that buzzer beater to beat Vandy. But college basketball is my favorite sport so I would watch it no matter what
I guess my point is that they've marketed the tournament so well that there's a huge and excited audience even for the first round where there are a lot of blowouts. The diehard fans are going to watch it regardless but there are a lot of non-diehards who tune in as well. So in response to Greg's comment (Trotsky), lots of people will tune in to watch mediocre teams from the majot conferences play.

Date: April 27, 2010 11:09PM

KeithK
phillysportsfan
KeithK
phillysportsfan
KeithK
Trotsky
nshapiro

I guess my point is that they've marketed the tournament so well that there's a huge and excited audience even for the first round where there are a lot of blowouts. The diehard fans are going to watch it regardless but there are a lot of non-diehards who tune in as well. So in response to Greg's comment (Trotsky), lots of people will tune in to watch mediocre teams from the majot conferences play.

You are right people will watch because of the office pools. The play in games should be for the bubble teams because the 15/16 seeds made it in the tournament they deserve to be in the real tournament

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 29, 2010 08:48PM

[sports.espn.go.com]

It's only the second time in a quarter-century that the NCAA has increased the number of teams competing for the men's national championship.

From the article on the NCAA officially approving the change, I found this sentence to be an amusing way of saying "It was changed less than 10 years ago."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login