Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Odds that Donahue Returns?

Posted by Trotsky 
Odds that Donahue Returns?
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 11:37AM

May as well start the speculation now for a topic that will probably outlive some of us.

Re: Odds that Donahue Returns?
Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: April 06, 2010 11:44AM

3 subpar years in Chestnut Hill and his head will be on the chopping block. I don't expect Cornell to find a coach that is worth keeping in the interim. Donahue will be back in less than 5 years.

Posted by: HeafDog (206.208.181.---)
Date: April 06, 2010 12:40PM

YankeeLobo
3 subpar years in Chestnut Hill and his head will be on the chopping block. I don't expect Cornell to find a coach that is worth keeping in the interim. Donahue will be back in less than 5 years.

Wha?? Are you serious? I hope you're right!!

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 03:11PM

HeafDog
YankeeLobo

There is no chance that this is true. You can't go home again.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 03:14PM

HeafDog
YankeeLobo

For all that he has done for us I dont see how you could wish that on him.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 03:23PM

phillysportsfan
HeafDog
YankeeLobo

Because I hate BC?

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 03:29PM

Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
HeafDog
YankeeLobo

Because I hate BC?

I dont like the ACC or anything related to Boston much either but I think I could tolerate rooting for BC just because Donahue is there

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 03:53PM

phillysportsfan
Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
HeafDog
YankeeLobo

Because I hate BC?

I dont like the ACC or anything related to Boston much either but I think I could tolerate rooting for BC just because Donahue is there
Sorry, not I.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 04:42PM

Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
HeafDog
YankeeLobo

Because I hate BC?

Sorry, not I.

Let's be realistic people. It's basketball. One of the things I confirmed by siting through the first game in Syracuse: if Cornell isn't playing, I really can't stand basketball. So if it ain't Cornell basketball, I find it hard to give a good God damn who wins.

Do I wish coach Donahue ill will? No. But when he moves on to BC, he'll no longer be on my radar, either.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 04:47PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
Jim Hyla
phillysportsfan
HeafDog
YankeeLobo

Because I hate BC?

Sorry, not I.

Let's be realistic people. It's basketball. One of the things I confirmed by siting through the first game in Syracuse: if Cornell isn't playing, I really can't stand basketball. So if it ain't Cornell basketball, I find it hard to give a good God damn who wins.

Do I wish coach Donahue ill will? No. But when he moves on to BC, he'll no longer be on my radar, either.

+3

Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: April 06, 2010 06:28PM

I was really just kidding when I made the comment about Donahue returning within 5 years. That said, I don't see how this is a good situation for Steve in the long run. BC will be a very difficult program to resurrect. Their AD, from everything that I've read and heard from BC alums, is a very difficult person to work for. Andy Noel stuck with Donahue through some pretty bad seasons early in his tenure at Cornell, I wouldn't expect the same mercy for Donahue if he has three subpar seasons in a row at BC, especially with all the coaching turnover. There will surely be names floating out there in the next 2-3 years that BC will lust after if Donahue doesn't turn that ship around quickly. The leash will be a LOT shorter than it was at Cornell.

There are myriad examples of coaches that left successful mid major programs for Big 6 jobs and failed (the guy at Alabama who left VCU comes to mind). I'm going back on things I've said earlier about Donahue leaving for a big time job, but I just don't see how this particular situation sets him up for success.

Good luck Coach!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 06:32PM by YankeeLobo.

Posted by: srg1 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 07:08PM

I will root for him. Whether some of the Cornell players fell into his lap or not, Donahue gave Cornell a Sweet 16 run that will almost certainly never be repeated or surpassed. He built this team and they improved for 3 straight years.

I think he will be successful at BC. He only needs to get one or two strong players to make it happen.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 06, 2010 07:31PM

YankeeLobo
I was really just kidding when I made the comment about Donahue returning within 5 years. That said, I don't see how this is a good situation for Steve in the long run. BC will be a very difficult program to resurrect. Their AD, from everything that I've read and heard from BC alums, is a very difficult person to work for. Andy Noel stuck with Donahue through some pretty bad seasons early in his tenure at Cornell, I wouldn't expect the same mercy for Donahue if he has three subpar seasons in a row at BC, especially with all the coaching turnover. There will surely be names floating out there in the next 2-3 years that BC will lust after if Donahue doesn't turn that ship around quickly. The leash will be a LOT shorter than it was at Cornell.

There are myriad examples of coaches that left successful mid major programs for Big 6 jobs and failed (the guy at Alabama who left VCU comes to mind). I'm going back on things I've said earlier about Donahue leaving for a big time job, but I just don't see how this particular situation sets him up for success.

Good luck Coach!

I agree the problem was BC was the best job left, and this year his stock was as high as ever. I think he should have held out till next year when Rutgers fires Hill, he would be closer to Philly and Rutgers would be much more patient given their years of desperation

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login