Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The (Kentucky) Empire Strikes Back

Posted by billhoward 
The (Kentucky) Empire Strikes Back
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 10:27AM

[www.boston.com] Wednesday: Boston Globe column by Dan Shaughnessy Wednesday twits Kentucky, coach K's (Calipari with a hard C is close enough) two final four appearances and two tournaments vacated, the bundles of cash.

[www.boston.com] Today (Thursday, game day): Boston Globe today recounts the Wildcat empire lashing back. "Your [sic] a racist" is a common taunt. Globe takes time out to remind Kentucky grammarians of proper usage:

Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe
People. It’s “you’re’’ a racist. Not “your.’’
Whoops. There I go, being elitist again.

... A local radio guy named Matt Jones, writing on a website, charged me with racism and elitism, and rallied Lexington. ...

For the record, there are four black players on the Cornell roster. And there are three white players on the Kentucky roster.

[Jones] labeled Boston “the most racist major sports town in America.’’ I assume he has data to support this, since he also claims to have gone to Duke Law School (no elitism there).
Boston sports? Racist? Six words: Dee Brown. House hunting. Wellesley police.

Kentucky fans, players and coaches have gotten tired of the media (not Cornell) portraying Cornell players as bright and Kentucky players as otherwise. The New York Times and the secretary of education (ex-Harvard jock) have this to say:

Katie Thomas, New York Times
Duncan's Swipe at the NCAA
Education Secretary Arne Duncan took another swing at the National Collegiate Athletic Association and top college basketball programs Wednesday, reiterating a call he made in January to ban from postseason play teams that fail to graduate at least 40 percent of their players.

If Duncan’s proposal were to be carried out, 12 teams in the N.C.A.A. men’s tournament would be barred from competing, including Kentucky, a No. 1 seed, which has a graduation rate of 31 percent, according to a study released earlier this week by the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida. Six institutions (Brigham Young, Marquette, Notre Dame, Utah State, Wake Forest and Wofford) achieved a 100 percent graduation rate.

“If a university can’t have two out of five of their student-athletes graduate, I don’t know why they’re rewarded with postseason play,” Duncan said in a telephone conference call. His remarks were nearly identical to ones he made in a speech in January at the N.C.A.A. convention in Atlanta, where he told a crowd of athletic directors and university presidents that leaders in college sports aren’t doing enough to graduate basketball players.

The study also found a disparity between the graduation rates of black and white players at many institutions. At Kentucky, black players had an 18 percent graduation rate, while white players graduated at a rate of 100 percent. Other institutions with large disparities between black and white players included Clemson (31 percent of black players graduated, versus 100 percent of white players) and Missouri (black players had a 25 percent graduation rate, compared with white players, at 100 percent).

The study used N.C.A.A. graduation statistics over a six-year period for students who entered their freshmen year from 1999 to 2002.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 10:34AM by billhoward.

Re: The (Kentucky) Empire Strikes Back
Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 10:53AM

While I obviously don't have data to support this, I wonder whether it is completely fair to vilify UK basketball based on the results of this study.

WHY don't their players graduate? As an example, if you have 10 players in a recruiting class and 2 transfer because of lack of playing time and 3 leave early for the NBA, that reduces your graduation rate to 50%. If 2 out of the 10 recruits drop out/don't graduate because of poor academic performance, the graduation rate is now 30%. But as this example illustrates, the 30% graduation rate doesn't mean that 7 out of 10 recruits in a class are "failures."

I get it that some programs in many major sports are factories designed to win championships and not educate students, but to rely on the NCAA graduation rate data without exploring other factors is oversimplifying the issue.

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 25, 2010 11:56AM

dag14
While I obviously don't have data to support this, I wonder whether it is completely fair to vilify UK basketball based on the results of this study.

WHY don't their players graduate? As an example, if you have 10 players in a recruiting class and 2 transfer because of lack of playing time and 3 leave early for the NBA, that reduces your graduation rate to 50%. If 2 out of the 10 recruits drop out/don't graduate because of poor academic performance, the graduation rate is now 30%. But as this example illustrates, the 30% graduation rate doesn't mean that 7 out of 10 recruits in a class are "failures."

I get it that some programs in many major sports are factories designed to win championships and not educate students, but to rely on the NCAA graduation rate data without exploring other factors is oversimplifying the issue.
I don't have a problem with transfers, but players who leave early for the NBA should definitely be counted against your graduation rate. Why on earth wouldn't they? Those players left without graduating - isn't that what a "graduation rate" is all about?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:16PM

Here's the data you may want:
53%: Average six-year graduation rate, four-year institution (Dept of Ed). That's 6 of a 15-player team.
40%: NCAA suggested minimm for teams.
18%: Kentucky graduation rate for black players.
100: Kentucky graduation rate for white players

Perhaps the college presidents can decide that, yes, 40% is a minimum the coaches will have to live with. It will mean if a team has players who defect early to the pros, the coach has to balance the team with bookworms who know how to dribble at least in practice. They don't have to start or play, just letter at some point and then walk across the stage in June. It's something the coach has to manage, like foul trouble.

I don't recall if a transfer counts as a six-year graduation back at his original school. (Is Jeff Foote hurting St. Bonaventure if he counts as a player there?) If it does, it's something else for the coach to manage.

Out of every 15 players, the coach can afford to lose 2 or 3 to the pros or dropout and still make the 40% rate.

Most likely effect: A coach can't stockpile marginal players.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 12:18PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:20PM

Robb
dag14

I don't have a problem with transfers, but players who leave early for the NBA should definitely be counted against your graduation rate. Why on earth wouldn't they? Those players left without graduating - isn't that what a "graduation rate" is all about?
"Graduation rate" is supposed to be a proxy for "making students employable." If they are voluntarily leaving college to make six/seven-figure salaries in the NBA, it is ridiculous to penalize the school. I'd be willing to compromise and say that players who aren't drafted or otherwise signed to pro contracts should count against the school.

Posted by: sockralex (170.202.22.---)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:33PM

I don't think schools, NC$$, and especially (most) fans of big school teams would want anything to do with that, let alone care how the graduation data is interpreted. They do not care who graduates, who flunks out, and who goes pro - they just care about wins today.

From a reply to article on [rivals.yahoo.com]

35. Posted by Tony Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 pm EDT
I am a student at Kentucky, and I personally know several of the basketball players. The idea that they are dumb is absurd. The ones that I know are all intelligent. So they don't get good grades; big deal. They work just as hard (or harder) than anyone I know, just not on school.

[rant]
'Don't get good grades, what's the big deal?? Just win me basketball games so I have something to smile about.' I think this is a prevalent attitude and Arne Duncan is climbing a very steep hill. One that the NC$$ will gladly push him back down.

The solution is a delineation between students and athletes. It already exists, let's just be honest about it. Start putting their grades next to Free Throw % and FG% or a wink face next to majors like Park Management. I am sure there's plenty of Cornell athletes that wouldn't be supportive of this, but at least it sheds more light on what caliber "student-athletes" (read: athlete-student) these individuals are.

[/rant]

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:36PM

ugarte
Robb
dag14

"Graduation rate" is supposed to be a proxy for "making students employable." If they are voluntarily leaving college to make six/seven-figure salaries in the NBA, it is ridiculous to penalize the school. I'd be willing to compromise and say that players who aren't drafted or otherwise signed to pro contracts should count against the school.

I disagree. Schools' have a traditional classroom education mission with stated criteria at which you are considered to achieve such. I could land a job at the end my third semester; that doesn't mean the school has provided me with a full education and should give me a diploma and a pat on the back. Conversely, if someone completes their degree and then enters a profession completely unrelated to it or simply doesn't work at all (lousy trust fund babies!), the school hasn't failed. The court/rink/athletic field is not a classroom. You might learn valuable skills and acquire other positive attributes while playing your sport, but that isn't what schools reward degrees for. If a college or university wants to stick their neck out and say that athletics is a degree program for which you can receive grades and a diploma after one year and a successful draft by a professional team, well, that would certainly be novel and I'd watch it unfold with great curiosity.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:37PM

The statistics don't count players who leave early for the pros. The Globe prints a column on the topic every year. This year's column (www.boston.com) says:

This is particularly outrageous as the NCAA no longer penalizes schools in graduation-rate reports for players who leave early for the pros, as long as they were in good academic standing.

Posted by: Robb (---.105-92.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: March 25, 2010 12:38PM

ugarte
Robb
dag14

That's not at all what graduation rate means to me. Graduation means you completed the level and quality of work required to indicate that you are a college-educated person. There are plenty of magna cum laude graduates who have trouble finding a job, and loads of dropouts who excel in the working world. Colleges already track job placement rates separately from graduation rates, so there's no reason why either should be a proxy for the other. They each tell a different part of the story, and I think graduation rate is the correct one to use for grading whether the athletic programs are detrimental or helpful to the schools' academic missions.

Date: March 25, 2010 12:41PM

The statistics don't count players who leave early for the pros. The Globe prints a column on the topic every year. This year's column (www.boston.com) says:

This is particularly outrageous as the NCAA no longer penalizes schools in graduation-rate reports for players who leave early for the pros, as long as they were in good academic standing.
This works for me.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 01:11PM

Robb
Graduation means you completed the level and quality of work required to indicate that you are a college-educated person.

There goes all of Engineering. bang

;-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 25, 2010 01:53PM

Trotsky
Robb
Graduation means you completed the level and quality of work required to indicate that you are a college-educated person.

There goes all of Engineering. bang
<insert flame filled rant defending engineering curricula> :-P

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2010 03:21PM

I didn't realize that student-athletes leaving early to turn pro [if in good academic standing at the time] were not part of the NCAA graduation rate mix. That does undercut my argument.

My point was more that what percentage of a recruiting class graduates is less relevant than the quality of the academic experience that a school offers its recruited student-athletes. If athletes are acing bogus courses and hit the real-world with no skills other than those they demonstrate on the ice/field/court, the school should be taken to task. If they are asked to take the same curriculum as other enrolled students but don't do as well academically because of all the various reasons student-athletes are not A+ students, it is hard to blame the institution if it is making a good-faith effort to educate all its students.

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.162.---)
Date: March 25, 2010 03:46PM

The study only counted kids who stayed and didnt graduate.. quiting/leaving/transferring dont count.. can you really stay for 4-6 years andf not graduate unless the school isnt trying or you probably shouldnt have been admitted.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:07PM

dag14
I didn't realize that student-athletes leaving early to turn pro [if in good academic standing at the time] were not part of the NCAA graduation rate mix. That does undercut my argument.

My point was more that what percentage of a recruiting class graduates is less relevant than the quality of the academic experience that a school offers its recruited student-athletes. If athletes are acing bogus courses and hit the real-world with no skills other than those they demonstrate on the ice/field/court, the school should be taken to task. If they are asked to take the same curriculum as other enrolled students but don't do as well academically because of all the various reasons student-athletes are not A+ students, it is hard to blame the institution if it is making a good-faith effort to educate all its students.
Of course you can blame the school if the athletes are not doing well academically. If the reason is because of the many other pressures on student athletes then the school can reduce some of these (fewer mid week games, for instance) or provide support. If it's because athletes are admitted who do not have the academic talent to succeed in the academic environment then the school can stop admitting such "students".

Date: March 25, 2010 05:09PM

upperdeck
The study only counted kids who stayed and didnt graduate.. quiting/leaving/transferring dont count.. can you really stay for 4-6 years andf not graduate unless the school isnt trying or you probably shouldnt have been admitted.
I can think of at least one poster on this board who could comment on this very knowledgeably.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 07:40AM

The real issue is that the elite athletic programs (including CU Hockey) are really the minor leagues for professional sports. These athletes can make a lot of money for their respective programs and the Universities, like any other business want to make as much money as possible while paying as little as possible.

The easiest and most honest solution is to remove the charade of the student/athlete at these elite programs and pay the players what they are worth. At a minimum if a player does not graduate or make it to the pros (the most common outcome in some of the programs mentioned, particularly if you are black) then the player, who was really only there to make money for the program, should get paid.

If you want to see pure student athletes look to women's sports or wrestling, fencing, track, cross country, field hockey etc.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 12:43PM

Towerroad
The easiest and most honest solution is to remove the charade of the student/athlete at these elite programs and pay the players what they are worth. At a minimum if a player does not graduate or make it to the pros (the most common outcome in some of the programs mentioned, particularly if you are black) then the player, who was really only there to make money for the program, should get paid.
I heard this "solution" a lot of times but even after all the repetition it remains a bad idea. Academic institutions shouldn't be running minor league sports teams as a side venture. It's bad enough that this is de facto true right now in some places. Principles aside, it wouldn't work. If Kentucky had to pay their bball players something akin to their market value as basketball players then the sport wouldn't be the cash cow it is now.

The best thing would be for real minor leagues to crop up for football and basketball. Have a development path for the kids who truly don't care about academics and just want to advance athletically. Easier sad than done, especially since the NC$$ is apparently happy filling this role.

Date: March 26, 2010 12:51PM

KeithK
The best thing would be for real minor leagues to crop up for football and basketball. Have a development path for the kids who truly don't care about academics and just want to advance athletically. Easier sad than done, especially since the NC$$ is apparently happy filling this role.
In basketball, this is starting to happen. Elite players who don't want to go to college are either going overseas after high school (Brandon Jennings) and the NBDL is acting as the viable minor league that the CBA used to be.

Football will never have a minor league as a substitute for college because it makes no sense for anyone, NFL or NCAA to develop it. And nobody goes straight to the NFL out of high school because there has never been an 18 year old physically developed and sufficiently drilled in the complexities of the game to play at the NFL level and never will be.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 01:35PM

KeithK
Towerroad
I heard this "solution" a lot of times but even after all the repetition it remains a bad idea. Academic institutions shouldn't be running minor league sports teams as a side venture. It's bad enough that this is de facto true right now in some places. Principles aside, it wouldn't work. If Kentucky had to pay their bball players something akin to their market value as basketball players then the sport wouldn't be the cash cow it is now.

"Principles aside, it wouldn't work." I think it would work quite nicely for the athlete. The fact that some of the Universities in question would no longer be able to exploit the athlete who chooses to attend but has little interest in an education is hardly worth consideration.

As an aside a 40% graduation rate is pretty pitiful threshold.

Posted by: min (---.73-185-111.static.totalbb.net.tw)
Date: March 26, 2010 01:37PM

I don't mean to open a can of worms, but can someone remind me again why Cornell and the other Ivies don't offer athletic scholarships? It can't all be about academics and student standards. Other "smart" schools (Stanford, Cal, Duke, Michigan, you name it) offer them, and I don't believe their academic reputations have suffered one iota (at least in the minds of the general public) as consequence.

To borrow another Star Wars analogy, do athletic scholarships necessarily represent the "dark side"? innocent

Date: March 26, 2010 01:50PM

Towerroad
KeithK
Towerroad

"Principles aside, it wouldn't work." I think it would work quite nicely for the athlete. The fact that some of the Universities in question would no longer be able to exploit the athlete who chooses to attend but has little interest in an education is hardly worth consideration.

If it doesn't work for the school, it doesn't happen. Your principles have to align at least a little with practicalities if you want to talk about what "should" be done. Exploitation is in the eye of the beholder, anyway. They are "officially" given a free education and unofficially receive BMOC status and, for the best of them, under the table payments that we choose to ignore until it becomes egregious.

Date: March 26, 2010 02:05PM

ugarte
Towerroad
KeithK
Towerroad

If it doesn't work for the school, it doesn't happen. Your principles have to align at least a little with practicalities if you want to talk about what "should" be done. Exploitation is in the eye of the beholder, anyway. They are "officially" given a free education and unofficially receive BMOC status and, for the best of them, under the table payments that we choose to ignore until it becomes egregious.
The athletes are certainly "exploited" according to the first definition on m-w.com "To make productive use of". As for the second, "to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage", that's subjective as ugarte says.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 26, 2010 02:09PM

min
I don't mean to open a can of worms, but can someone remind me again why Cornell and the other Ivies don't offer athletic scholarships? It can't all be about academics and student standards. Other "smart" schools (Stanford, Cal, Duke, Michigan, you name it) offer them, and I don't believe their academic reputations have suffered one iota (at least in the minds of the general public) as consequence.

To borrow another Star Wars analogy, do athletic scholarships necessarily represent the "dark side"?

The Ivies and many other schools offer only need-based aid. That means that brilliant scholars, artists, musicians and athletes qualify for aid just like all other admitted students.

Date: March 26, 2010 02:14PM

oops. fixed format in re-post
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 02:19PM by nshapiro.

Date: March 26, 2010 02:18PM

Robb
ugarte
Robb
dag14

That's not at all what graduation rate means to me. Graduation means you completed the level and quality of work required to indicate that you are a college-educated person. There are plenty of magna cum laude graduates who have trouble finding a job, and loads of dropouts who excel in the working world. Colleges already track job placement rates separately from graduation rates, so there's no reason why either should be a proxy for the other. They each tell a different part of the story, and I think graduation rate is the correct one to use for grading whether the athletic programs are detrimental or helpful to the schools' academic missions.

So how would you classify a brilliant student who leaves Cornell after her junior year because she was admitted to Vet School? A dropout?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 02:18PM by nshapiro.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 03:44PM

KeithK
ugarte
Towerroad
KeithK
Towerroad

The athletes are certainly "exploited" according to the first definition on m-w.com "To make productive use of". As for the second, "to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage", that's subjective as ugarte says.
Yes, it does have to work for the institution for it to happen. I admit that the use of the term "exploited" has a subjective component. But lets not hide behind the fiction that some of these would-be NBA/NHL/NFL players are taking courses of study that are comparable to those taken by the rest of the student body or being held to the same standards of conduct and rigor.

I exempted the MLB because they have a tradition of drafting out of High School thus permitting those desiring to pursue an athletic career a clean economic opportunity.

Date: March 26, 2010 04:19PM

nshapiro
Robb
ugarte
Robb
dag14

So how would you classify a brilliant student who leaves Cornell after her junior year because she was admitted to Vet School? A dropout?
Yes, that student would be a dropout if she didn't actually complete her degree. Not sure how she got into Vet School without a degree though (grad school without a bachelors is not unheard of but it is rare AFAIK). Regardless, this is probably a sufficiently unlikely occurrence that it wouldn't skew the stats in any significant way.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 09:23PM

KeithK
nshapiro
Robb
ugarte
Robb
dag14

Yes, that student would be a dropout if she didn't actually complete her degree. Not sure how she got into Vet School without a degree though (grad school without a bachelors is not unheard of but it is rare AFAIK). Regardless, this is probably a sufficiently unlikely occurrence that it wouldn't skew the stats in any significant way.
The Vet School Admissions site discusses an early admission process. You apply and are notified at the end of your sophomore year, spend junior year doing something interesting, then start.

Completion of a baccalaureate degree prior to matriculation is not required.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login