Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - Yale Lax

Posted by scoop85 
Cornell - Yale Lax
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:37PM

I guess this got lost in all the excitement. CU leads 8-1 with 8:00 left in the 2nd quarter. And Redcast has a game clock!

Re: Cornell - Yale Lax
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:39PM

Worried that last week's rout by Virginia in the wake of being pushed to OT by Army meant we were overrated even at 8eth or 10th place in the polls. The Yale game seems to suggest Cornell is in good shape.

Halfway through the second quarter, it's 9-1 Cornell.

OMG! Back to back goals by the Elis. 9-3.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 01:45PM by billhoward.

Date: March 20, 2010 01:42PM

Penn leads Princeton 4-0 halfway through the 2nd period dribble

Date: March 20, 2010 01:45PM

Yale with 2 quickies to make it 9-3 with 4:47 in 2nd quarter

Date: March 20, 2010 01:53PM

10-3 at the half, as Ritchie scores with :24 left.

Re: Cornell - Yale Lax - you be the coach
Date: March 20, 2010 01:55PM

It's 10-3 at halftime. Cornell is en route to a 20-to-something victory. Rather than roll it up beyond, say, 15, should we play the entire roster, or give the starters, many of them new to starting, more game practice? I'd say make the fourth quarter an equal opportunity period.

Date: March 20, 2010 01:56PM

Penn 6, Princeton 1 at the half

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:08PM

Our D is making Gibson look like Seibald.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:24PM

12-5 Cornell late in the 3rd. Penn leads Princeton 7-3 with 2:00 left in the third (it was 7-1)

Date: March 20, 2010 02:26PM

So is Princeton having a bad-helmet day? Is Penn under-rated?

Date: March 20, 2010 02:28PM

Lang loses the ball a lot on his dodges.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:29PM

Hurley scores with :02 left in the 3rd to make it 13-5. Martinez (who started the 2nd half) made a couple of nice saves before Hurley's goal.

Now 7-4 Penn as the 4th begins.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:40PM

16-6, as Austin scores 3 straight. Pannell has been great with his feeds.

Penn up 9-6 with 8:20 left in the 4th

Date: March 20, 2010 02:42PM

17-6, Mock from Lau.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:44PM

Princeton storms back to tie Penn 9-9 with 7:00 left. Gotta think Princeton wins that one now.

Re: Cornell 17 - Yale 6 Lax (4th)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:44PM

This is terrible. Cornell is running it up on the pool Bulldogs.

This is great. At least against Yale, there's no letdown in the fourth, no letdown as Tambroni moves in some of the less-frequent players.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:46PM

billhoward
No, Bill, the "pool" Bulldogs play hockey, not lacrosse.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:46PM

Announcer's contract to stand in for Barry Leonard ends at 2:45 p.m.? Have game sounds but no announcer sounds.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:49PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
No, Bill, the "pool" Bulldogs play hockey, not lacrosse.
Geez, talk about weird - Freudian? - typos.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:50PM

scoop85
Princeton storms back to tie Penn 9-9 with 7:00 left. Gotta think Princeton wins that one now.

Still tied with 1:48 left. Tigers have the ball.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:51PM

billhoward
Announcer's contract to stand in for Barry Leonard ends at 2:45 p.m.? Have game sounds but no announcer sounds.
No great loss, I'd say.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:52PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
No great loss, I'd say.
Maybe he's a Cornellian. Team IC has been great for Cornell sports for more than a decade. Can we just annex their Communications department?

Re: Cornell 18 - Yale 7 Lax final
Date: March 20, 2010 02:54PM

Perfect ending. > 10 goal margin but didn't get to 20 which sounds we're running it up. Nice job.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:54PM

10-9 Princeton, 1:11 left

Date: March 20, 2010 02:55PM

Princeton takes the lead with 1:11 left, but Penn comes back and ties it at 10. Now going to OT.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:55PM

18-7 final. Nice bounce back win. Penn and Princeton now tied 10-10 in last minute of regulation.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:57PM

Yikes, Penn tied it. OT.

Date: March 20, 2010 03:03PM

Tigers win in OT. Oh well.

Date: March 20, 2010 03:03PM

Princeton wins 11-10 in OT

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.newimagent.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:05PM

scoop85
18-7 final. Nice bounce back win. Penn and Princeton now tied 10-10 in last minute of regulation.

Good win. This could have been a major let down.

Date: March 20, 2010 03:25PM

scoop85
This could have been insurance if we lost one and beat Princeton. Of course, the Ivy playoff decides it.

Date: March 20, 2010 05:59PM

billhoward
scoop85
This could have been insurance if we lost one and beat Princeton. Of course, the Ivy playoff decides it.

I believe the Ivy playoff decides nothing.

Date: March 20, 2010 06:50PM

DeltaOne81
billhoward
scoop85

I believe the Ivy playoff decides nothing.
I'm pretty sure it decides who gets the automatic NCAA bid.

[www.columbiaspectator.com]

Date: March 20, 2010 07:10PM

Hmmm, I thought I remembered when they came up with it, that it was just 'for show'. I guess they changed their mind. Or I've lost mine.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:43PM

DeltaOne81
Hmmm, I thought I remembered when they came up with it, that it was just 'for show'. I guess they changed their mind. Or I've lost mine.
No, whoever dreamed this up lost his...or theirs. The regular season winner is the Ivy League champion, but the tournament winner gets the auto-bid to the NCAAs. Lame attempt to get more teams into the NCAAs, I guess, thinking the regular season winner's record would be good enough for an at-large.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 12:13AM

Al DeFlorio
Lame attempt to get more teams into the NCAAs, I guess, thinking the regular season winner's record would be good enough for an at-large.

Seems a pretty obvious way to game the system since the committee uses RPI/SOS as the predominant measure to seed. Let's just say, I don't think we're a 4 seed in 2007 with an Ivy Tourney....

Date: March 21, 2010 07:09AM

semsox
Al DeFlorio
Lame attempt to get more teams into the NCAAs, I guess, thinking the regular season winner's record would be good enough for an at-large.

Seems a pretty obvious way to game the system since the committee uses RPI/SOS as the predominant measure to seed. Let's just say, I don't think we're a 4 seed in 2007 with an Ivy Tourney....
I do. One other Ivy team made the tournament: Princeton. And they were unseeded. I don't recall the fourth place Ivy team, but another game against them and then Princeton--assuming Cornell won both--would likely have changed little. The NCAA committee is getting smarter. They learned from 2007. Last year Hopkins was #4 in RPI and #1 in SOS and was seeded eighth. Loyola was #9 in RPI and #3 in SOS and was left out.

Date: March 21, 2010 10:30AM

Regardless, when the Ivy is having a good year (ie this year), there is pretty much no downside to playing the 2 extra games. Playing another 2 games vs 2 of Princeton/Brown/Harvard will be great for RPI and SOS, and yes while the committee is getting smarter, it's 2 more chances for wins vs very good teams. Then again I'm a young-un so I'm not all too upset about abandoning the Ivy roots, selling out on our elite academics, etc...

Date: March 21, 2010 11:30AM

semsox
Regardless, when the Ivy is having a good year (ie this year), there is pretty much no downside to playing the 2 extra games. Playing another 2 games vs 2 of Princeton/Brown/Harvard will be great for RPI and SOS, and yes while the committee is getting smarter, it's 2 more chances for wins vs very good teams. Then again I'm a young-un so I'm not all too upset about abandoning the Ivy roots, selling out on our elite academics, etc...
I'd rather see us try to schedule another top-tier non-Ivy than play two more games against Ivy teams.

Date: March 21, 2010 11:43AM

Al DeFlorio
semsox
I'd rather see us try to schedule another top-tier non-Ivy than play two more games against Ivy teams.

Agree 100%, but as we both know it takes two to tango. There's not exactly a ton of teams clamoring for a home and home so they can travel up to Ithaca. It's why I have such respect for Virginia doing it.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:49AM

Al DeFlorio
semsox
It isn't entirely our call, unfortunately.

Date: March 21, 2010 11:56AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
semsox
Trying isn't "our call?" What's unfortunate is we've now tied up two more games against Ivies, assuming we finish top four, that is. That makes eight out of fifteen games on our schedule against Ivy teams. Sorry, but I don't like that one bit.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 01:53PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
semsox
Trying isn't "our call?" What's unfortunate is we've now tied up two more games against Ivies, assuming we finish top four, that is. That makes eight out of fifteen games on our schedule against Ivy teams. Sorry, but I don't like that one bit.
That assumes that Cornell isn't trying; I was sure that you didn't mean that.

Date: March 21, 2010 02:01PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
semsox
That assumes that Cornell isn't trying; I was sure that you didn't mean that.
To be clear: I'd rather have kept trying than play Brown, Harvard, and/or Princeton a second time, and possibly have more than half our games against Ivy teams. There are other "northern" teams we could try with: UMass, Hofstra, Albany (not strong this year but certainly have been), Bucknell, Drexel. But we're stuck now with the redundant Ivy playoff. My opinion is it's stupid. Yours may differ.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 02:41PM

semsox
Regardless, when the Ivy is having a good year (ie this year), there is pretty much no downside to playing the 2 extra games.
That's not entirely true, guys could get hurt.

Date: March 21, 2010 06:13PM

Josh '99
semsox
Regardless, when the Ivy is having a good year (ie this year), there is pretty much no downside to playing the 2 extra games.
Or, a Cornell team that finishes first in the regular season, but has no wins over top-ranked non-Ivy teams, could lose in the tournament and miss out on the auto-bid.

Also, I'm not so sure I'd say "the Ivy is having a good year" just yet. Princeton has two good out-of-league wins (Hofstra and Hopkins, although the latter may turn out to be questionable) but the only other ranked team beaten by an Ivy is Harvard--an Ivy--by Brown.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:47PM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
semsox
Or, a Cornell team that finishes first in the regular season, but has no wins over top-ranked non-Ivy teams, could lose in the tournament and miss out on the auto-bid.

Also, I'm not so sure I'd say "the Ivy is having a good year" just yet. Princeton has two good out-of-league wins (Hofstra and Hopkins, although the latter may turn out to be questionable) but the only other ranked team beaten by an Ivy is Harvard--an Ivy--by Brown.
It seems clear to me that the Ivies got frustrated at the wthe southern teams have been gaming the selection criteria with their insular schedules, decided to give up fighting it and game the system themselves. It might work or it might backfire. We'll have to see it would be better if it weren't "necessary" to go that route.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login