Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Greatest Cornell sports day ever?

Posted by French Rage 
Greatest Cornell sports day ever?
Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:12PM

Poll
Well?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
92 votes were received.
Yes 84

91%
No 8

9%

Discuss.

Knowing our insane commitment around here, I'm sure someone will find an obscure day several decades ago, but on the off-chance that doesn't occur, with two teams advancing their farthest ever in the NCAAs and another going to a conference championship, it's hard to beat that.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: Greatest Cornell sports day ever?
Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:34PM

Don't forget NCAA wrestling too.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:44PM

Was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping on Sunday we can say it's the greatest weekend ever.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 10:54PM

I have to imagine that the one person who voted "no" so far is thinking of the day we capped an undefeated season. I understand the sentiment but... FOUR SPORTS!

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 10:58PM

ugarte
I have to imagine that the one person who voted "no" so far is thinking of the day we capped an undefeated season. I understand the sentiment but... FOUR SPORTS!
I guess it all depends on what priority you give to the various sports. Cornell (mens) hockey is so much more important to me than anything else that winning the national championship in that sport trumps everything else.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:17PM

KeithK
ugarte
I guess it all depends on what priority you give to the various sports. Cornell (mens) hockey is so much more important to me than anything else that winning the national championship in that sport trumps everything else.
A very happy day for four Cornell teams, but none of them won a championship. [And, no, I didn't vote.]

Date: March 19, 2010 11:35PM

I suppose I am valuing the all-day euphoria of winning ... and winning ... and winning ... and winning over what was, I am sure, a fucking awesome day.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:41PM

I've been following Cornell sports since 1981, and no day even comes close to today.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:47PM

Whether it was the single greatest ever or not, it's indisputably been an awesome, historic day that we should all savor.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:24AM

Josh '99
Whether it was the single greatest ever or not, it's indisputably been an awesome, historic day that we should all savor.
No argument there.

All around excellence
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:50PM

Yes. I can't think of a way any single day could converge to have so many positive results better than Friday did. It's hard to even imagine another day with the same potential for success. National championships are phenomenal for that specific team. It felt like Friday was tremendous for the entire athletics program. Everywhere you turned, another Cornell athlete was winning something. That's why it was the best "Cornell sports day ever." There have been better Cornell hockey and lacrosse days, no doubt. But Friday was special for Cornell.

Two related thoughts:

-Since 2002 Cornell has sent a team to the NCAA final four of four different sports (M/W Hockey, M/W Lax). Has any other team in the nation done the same? Has any other done so and walked away with no titles? It's pretty damn impressive.

-Tough job for the editors of the Sun to layout the front and back pages for tomorrow too. Too bad the w. hockey team will probably end up with less credit than is due given the other results.

Re: All around excellence
Posted by: amerks127 (65.206.31.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:03PM

Chris '03
-Tough job for the editors of the Sun to layout the front and back pages for tomorrow too. Too bad the w. hockey team will probably end up with less credit than is due given the other results.

We're on spring break right now, so no print coverage until the following Monday. I am glad I'm not an editor who has to decide how to lay everything out.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:48PM

amerks127
Chris '03

We're on spring break right now, so no print coverage until the following Monday. I am glad I'm not an editor who has to decide how to lay everything out.

From a former Assistant Sports Editor: Wrap the paper in a four-page NCAA Championships section. Way too much going on in these two weekends to cover in the regular section, let alone the back page.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:51PM

At least two of the story lines are over (women's hockey and wrestling).

I actually kind of feel pretty bad for the students who need to try to keep up with all of this stuff on their spring break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 09:53PM by mnagowski.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:55PM

mnagowski
At least two of the story lines are over (women's hockey and wrestling).

I actually kind of feel pretty bad for the students who need to try to keep up with all of this stuff on their spring break.

I saw this before the edit and thought you felt bad about runner-up performances by the women and the grapplers. Great performances by both.

I feel bad that I ran out of DVR space after two OTs and had to check the result on USCHO.

Date: March 21, 2010 10:50PM

mnagowski
Huh? with ubiquitous internet it's trivial to keep up with it all.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 10:55PM

Unbelievable Cornell weekend!

As for the latest vote in congress, that is another story. Thanks for raining on my parade Pelosi!!!

Date: March 21, 2010 11:15PM

As for the latest vote in congress, that is another story. Thanks for raining on my parade Pelosi!!!

I vehemently disagree with you. You try waking up one day to realize that something in your body has gone horribly wrong and facing the prospect that if you lose your job you can kiss any semblance of a "normal" life goodbye. Or maybe your kids could experience that. I live that life everyday and wonder why every other first world country has figured out how to eradicate that fear.

And thanks for inserting politics into a completely non-political thread.

Date: March 21, 2010 11:25PM

mnagowski

I vehemently disagree with you. You try waking up one day to realize that something in your body has gone horribly wrong and facing the prospect that if you lose your job you can kiss any semblance of a "normal" life goodbye. Or maybe your kids could experience that. I live that life everyday and wonder why every other first world country has figured out how to eradicate that fear.

Ah, let him have his joke. There's a grain of truth in every joke but take it in the intended spirit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to start smoking because I won't have to be worried about losing this insurance if I change jobs.

Date: March 21, 2010 11:30PM

ugarte
mnagowski

Ah, let him have his joke. There's a grain of truth in every joke but take it in the intended spirit.

Sorry. Not today. Not with what has been accomplished. There was absolutely no place for that on this thread.

Let's Go Red!

Date: March 21, 2010 11:51PM

I know, I shouldn't have gotten political. I meant this as a joke and wasn't expecting any responses. I had just read the news so it was right on my mind. I actually do think we need changes.

The reason I am so frustrated is because they put in so many things that I don't think will help (along with completely unrelated matters like school loans) without doing a lot of things that I think will. With this bill and all of its special deals having passed, it will be much more difficult to make any changes or improvements in the near future.

Now that I temporarily screwed up this thread, back to sports.

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:58PM

I think we have every right to be pissed off.

Cornell is getting some serious national attention, and then Tiger Woods decides to do an interview and a healthcare bill gets passed. Goodbye front page.

:-P

Date: March 22, 2010 12:02AM

Willy '06

Cornell is getting some serious national attention, and then Tiger Woods decides to do an interview and a healthcare bill gets passed. Goodbye front page.

I know you are joking, but I actually did think it was a shame to open up espn.com and see Tiger Woods as the lead instead of a story from one of the great sports tournaments going on.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:41AM

cth95
Willy '06

I know you are joking, but I actually did think it was a shame to open up espn.com and see Tiger Woods as the lead instead of a story from one of the great sports tournaments going on.

Yeah, but ESPN doesn't usually put college hockey on the front page...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:55AM

scoop85
I've been following Cornell sports since 1981, and no day even comes close to today.

Agreed (in all details). This was the most amazing day Cornell has had since they became "mine," and that's probably true of all fans my age and younger unless they have some special ownership in another Cornell sport. What happened in the past belonged to older fans, and that's as incomparable as asking whether the '86 ECAC title was "better" than this past weekend's. A meaningless comparison.

It was a good day, and it came within a couple bounces of being indescribably blissful, but still... it was a good, good day. :-)

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 06:04PM

In the afterglow of the entire amazing weekend, can anybody come up with an appropriate moniker for that? Because we'll be talking about it for years, if not decades. Weekend of Destiny? Best Week Ever? Red Dawn? The quad-sport Cornell Cavalcade of Conquest?

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: March 22, 2010 06:52PM

The Weekend.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 06:59PM

March-gasm.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 07:20PM

Willy '06
The Weekend.
Nice.

Posted by: 75er (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 09:21PM

In my 38 years following Cornell Athletics, nothing has come remotely close to this weekend. Anyone with memories of Tony Coma would never have imagined it.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:31PM

75er
In my 38 years following Cornell Athletics, nothing has come remotely close to this weekend. Anyone with memories of Tony Coma would never have imagined it.
Not to mention Ben Bliss.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: March 23, 2010 01:26AM

This is more a task for someone in the Cornell athletics/admissions department, but shouldn't someone make a video to celebrate this weekend? No one has come up with any other recent stretches of athletic domination. Start with clips from the men's basketball clinching the Ivy League title at Brown, m/w hockey beating Harvard and continue with all the success last weekend? They could play Davey, the Alma Mater, My Old Cornell, etc in the background. Wouldn't this be great for recruiting athletes and also for normal students - Cornell has amazing academics and a great athletic tradition?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:33AM

tretiak
This is more a task for someone in the Cornell athletics/admissions department, but shouldn't someone make a video to celebrate this weekend? No one has come up with any other recent stretches of athletic domination. Start with clips from the men's basketball clinching the Ivy League title at Brown, m/w hockey beating Harvard and continue with all the success last weekend? They could play Davey, the Alma Mater, My Old Cornell, etc in the background. Wouldn't this be great for recruiting athletes and also for normal students - Cornell has amazing academics and a great athletic tradition?
GREAT idea. They'd sell a bunch.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:53AM

Al DeFlorio
tretiak

This is a fantastic idea, although I would be a bit worried that admissions and athletics don't necessarily have the manpower to do it. Would make a great student or alumni project.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:55AM

mnagowski
Al DeFlorio
tretiak

This is a fantastic idea, although I would be a bit worried that admissions and athletics don't necessarily have the manpower to do it. Would make a great student or alumni project.

Not to mention getting the rights to NCAA footage. Good luck with that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login