Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 Mercyhurst 2 final OT

Posted by dag14 
Cornell 3 Mercyhurst 2 final OT
Posted by: dag14 (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:16PM

Shorthanded breakaway!!! Fortino I think. First period
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 08:46PM by dag14.

Re: Cornell 1 Mercyhurst 0
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:31PM

Sorry for the cross-post - is there online video?

Date: March 19, 2010 06:36PM

all access for free. I found it by clicking on the link at the athletics site: [www.ncaa.com]

Still 1-0 at end of first period

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:49PM

13 shots for Cornell to 7 for Mercyhurst

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:25PM

Women down 2-1 after 2 periods.

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:56PM

Cornell ties it at 2 about halfway through the third.

Posted by: scoop85 (206.53.147.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:57PM

2-2 per USCHO

Date: March 19, 2010 08:05PM

OT 2-2

Date: March 19, 2010 08:06PM

Now heading to overtime.

Date: March 19, 2010 08:41PM

White!!! 3-2 C

Re: Cornell 3 Mercyhurst 2 (Final)
Posted by: schoaff (---.endlessloopsoftware.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:42PM

Cornell wins 3-2 in overtime. Going to finals.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 08:42PM by schoaff.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:46PM

schoaff

Fantastic. Way to go ladies....LGR.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:47PM

Whoo-Hooo!!!! My now 2 1/2 week old good luck charm keeps her streak going for us. Maybe we will see her out there in 18 or 19 years.

What a game. The women looked great. They looked much faster than they did against Harvard even though the score looked like a blowout last week.

Go Big Red ladies!

Posted by: RichH (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:48PM

schoaff

CAPS LOCK.

Re: Cornell 3 Mercyhurst 2 final OT
Posted by: mattj711 (---.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:51PM

rock

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:53PM

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:01PM

Very nice capstone to a great day in Cornell Sports. The women have done us proud

Let go Red!!!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:01PM

Is there any chance the women's final is televised anywhere? Can't find it.

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:04PM

It'll be on CBS College Sports at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 09:04PM by Weder.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:07PM

Weder
It'll be on CBS College Sports at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.

Ah, I didn't find it because I looked for "college hockey" but the listing of course is "women's college hockey". Much obliged ;)

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 10:45PM

In the 2nd period, UM-Duluth 2, goofers 0.

2 goals late in the 2nd, one for each team.

Now UMD 3 goofers 1, 5 seconds left in the 2nd period
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 10:57PM by Rita.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 10:52PM

Date: March 19, 2010 11:43PM

54 seconds left in the 3rd, Minnesota scores a goal to pull within a goal. UMD 3 goofers 2

Date: March 19, 2010 11:49PM

Cornell v. UM-Duluth.

Bulldogs beat the goofers 3-2. (Time expired before the puck crossed the line on an ENG attempt)

There was a 1st intermission interview with Bulldog coach Shannon Miller and it sounds like this wasnt' supposed to be UMD's year either. They had several players gone for the year playing in the Olympics, and like Cornell, had a slow start to the season.

Let's Go RED!!!

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 20, 2010 12:06AM

WOW.... this is just sinking in but doesn't this means that our women's hockey team could win the first Cornell NCAA championship for any sport in.... how many years? Anyone know? They really should get more coverage in the Sun because this is really a terrific season for these girls.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 12:07AM by ajh258.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 12:26AM

ajh258
WOW.... this is just sinking in but doesn't this means that our women's hockey team could win the first Cornell NCAA championship for any sport in.... how many years? Anyone know?
Team sport anyway. Wrestling at least had an individual championship just a few years back.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:33AM

Last year - Troy Nickerson was a national champion

Date: March 20, 2010 01:10AM

WOW.... this is just sinking in but doesn't this means that our women's hockey team could win the first Cornell NCAA championship for any sport in.... how many years? Anyone know? They really should get more coverage in the Sun because this is really a terrific season for these girls.

The Sun is reporting that this is the first time a Cornell women's team will ever compete for a title, let alone possibly win it.

Of course, I believe our women's crew and polo teams have won in the past, they are just not NCAA sanctioned.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:28AM

Back in the day, we used to dominate in Ultimate IIRC.

Date: March 20, 2010 08:10AM

ansky629
AND a few years back when Jordan Leen won. It has been a good run for wrestling. If things break right, we could have two more by the end of the night.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:06AM

ugarte
ansky629
AND a few years back when Jordan Leen won. It has been a good run for wrestling. If things break right, we could have two more by the end of the night.
And two for Travis Lee before that, with Tyler Baier a runner-up one of those years.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:38AM

ajh258

The Sun's coverage of women's hockey has been second-rate all season. At least in winter sports, the men's teams always get the back page on Monday. If they are lucky, women's hockey gets to share the back page on Tuesday. I once asked about this and was told that this was perceived as pretty good coverage....Even when they qualified for the Frozen Four the same weekend as basketball's pairing was announced, the Sun went with a full-color, full page splash for the basketball team on the back page on Monday. The hockey teams split Tuesday's back page with the theme being both teams' demolition of Harvard hockey.

So The Sun is very late on the band wagon. Women's hockey has been making history pretty much all season and they are still second-class citizens down at the Sun's sports department. It will be interesting to see how the student media handles this weekend's success.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:24PM

It would also be interesting to compare the coverage of men's and women's basketball the year they both went to the NCAA tournament.

Date: March 20, 2010 01:56PM

David Harding
It would also be interesting to compare the coverage of men's and women's basketball the year they both went to the NCAA tournament.
I am as pro-Title IX as anyone you'll find. I think it is important to give women (and girls) as much opportunity for athletic achievement as possible. I'm the guy who thinks that the football budget and rosters should be counted for the equity calculations until there is some similarly bloated and expensive women-only sport to balance the ledger.BUT...

I can't pretend that guys - who make up the vast majority of non-participants that care about sports, and therefore read sports coverage - care enough about women's sports to think that the newspaper should treat the sports any more "equally" that the readership does.

Date: March 20, 2010 01:57PM

ugarte
David Harding
I am as pro-Title IX as anyone you'll find. I think it is important to give women (and girls) as much opportunity for athletic achievement as possible. I'm the guy who thinks that the football budget and rosters should be counted for the equity calculations until there is some similarly bloated and expensive women-only sport to balance the ledger.BUT...

I can't pretend that guys - who make up the vast majority of non-participants that care about sports, and therefore read sports coverage - care enough about women's sports to think that the newspaper should treat the sports any more "equally" that the readership does.
Agree completely, especially the part about football.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:07PM

I agree that the Sun has come up short on Women's hockey. They are playing for the National Championship for goodness sake. They found time to post a nice article about the Men's Basketball team on Sat. but not the Women. No disrespect to the BBall team or the Wrestlers but not to put too fine a point on it, no Cornell Team has won an NCAA National Championship since the Lax teams of the 70's and the Women look like a team that might end the drought. That should be worth premier placement.

I will be watching and rooting on Sunday

Lets Go Red!

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:12PM

I thought volleyball always got pretty decent coverage, but they're a Fall sport. And the girls wear spandex...

Date: March 20, 2010 02:21PM

The achievements of the women's hockey team this season is NEWS; Isn't the purpose of sports coverage to report sports NEWS as well as cover teams the fans like to follow? Are journalists supposed to report what readers/viewers/listeners' poll say are the most popular topics, or are they supposed to inform the public? I remain disappointed that the training ground for student journalists at Cornell is behind the curve instead of leading the charge.

I am not suggesting that the achievements of all other Cornell athletes this weekend should be ignored, rather that the teams that are actually competing for national titles right now should be covered adequately. And this includes wrestling. Something that guys do. So this isn't about Title IX.

Re: Cornell 3 Mercyhurst 2 final OT - lay off The Sun
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 02:39PM

Let those of us without sin stone the cast of The Cornell Sun. This forum hasn't been overrun with women's hockey discusson. Trotsky started a Women's hockey thread that was pretty much the single point of discussion from Jan. 17 onward until just recently.

Yes, The Sun could have done more but the team's success has come as a surprise to a lot of people.

The Harvard Crimson had so little interest in the Cornell-Harvard men's quarterfinals it handed the story off to a freshman writer and IIRC they didn't get around to posting the game 2 story until later Monday.

Date: March 20, 2010 02:59PM

This is a fan forum so the fact that the progression of the women's hockey program this season was not high-profile among posters isn't necessarily a big deal. However, if there had been more news coverage last fall when the team swept Harvard and Dartmouth [at the time both nationally-ranked in the top 10] and then defeated Clarkson [at the time #2], more fans might have been encouraged to develop an interest in the team earlier than the post-season.

Date: March 20, 2010 03:17PM

dag14
This is a fan forum so the fact that the progression of the women's hockey program this season was not high-profile among posters isn't necessarily a big deal. However, if there had been more news coverage last fall when the team swept Harvard and Dartmouth [at the time both nationally-ranked in the top 10] and then defeated Clarkson [at the time #2], more fans might have been encouraged to develop an interest in the team earlier than the post-season.
Like ugarte, I am very supportive of women's sports. There were none when I was at Cornell, and that was absurd. But look at attendance at men's and women's hockey games to get an idea of relative campus interest. That may change after this year's tournament run, but it was a fact of life throughout this past season.

Should the women's hockey team get a fair share of coverage this weekend at the Frozen Four? You bet. But throughout this past "regular" season? I don't think it was justified by campus interest. Again, with the team a defending national champ or runner-up, campus interest and therefore coverage may change significantly next year.

Date: March 20, 2010 03:24PM

dag14
A website / blog / forum is part of the new media and new media now is really part of media, just as dead-tree operations such as The Sun. This forum is another way of getting the word out. If anybody should lead the charge it should be Cornell's hockey fans. Has anyone here sent a note The Sun's sports editor askng for more coverage, wondering why there isn't more coverage? I'm as bad as anyone else. I've seen one women's hockey game in the past two years which isn't a lot and it may be as much as most of the fans here.

Date: March 20, 2010 03:45PM

I contacted The Sun directly months ago [after the Harvard/Dartmout/Clarkson upsets] and was told that they thought a prominent story on Tuesday [in the paper] was pretty good coverage for this team. I work at Cornell so I read the paper the old fashioned way. But if the story is running in print on Tuesday, it is safe to say it is running on-line on Tuesday as well. I waited throughout this post-season run where every game the women played set a record for the program -- first ECAC play-off game win; first ECAC tournament game win; first ECAC tournament championship; first NCAA quarterfinal appearance and victory. I do not believe that one of these stories ran with a headline on the back page on the Monday following the achievement.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:45PM

Does anybody check the women's ECAC page? I have both up and I can go days before seeing updates on their page. That's mainly because with the men there are many newspaper and other articles to link to, not so with the women. Off to watch the men.:-)

Date: March 20, 2010 04:04PM

Well, you did your job of being a public-minded citizen. You're right that a big story on Tuesday is not quite like a story on Monday for those who read the print edition.

Yes, the ECAC pages are slow to be updated. And this morning the women's triumph was not on the hom epage rotation of cornellbigred.com for some time. It was there if you went to women > hockey.

Either way, LGR! Now it's off to Albany.

Date: March 20, 2010 04:04PM

dag14
The achievements of the women's hockey team this season is NEWS; Isn't the purpose of sports coverage to report sports NEWS as well as cover teams the fans like to follow? Are journalists supposed to report what readers/viewers/listeners' poll say are the most popular topics, or are they supposed to inform the public? I remain disappointed that the training ground for student journalists at Cornell is behind the curve instead of leading the charge.
At the end of the day you don't sell newspapers (or get page hits) writing about things that the readers don't care about. That's what matters. Journalism is a business and you have to cater to your customers.

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 04:08PM

How long has The Sun been holding some weekend sports coverage until Tuesday? In my day, we got all of it in for Monday's paper, dammit.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: March 20, 2010 05:10PM

KeithK
At the end of the day you don't sell newspapers (or get page hits) writing about things that the readers don't care about. That's what matters. Journalism is a business and you have to cater to your customers.

If all news outlets cared about was profits, our democracy would be in terrible shape. Oh wait...

Date: March 20, 2010 05:15PM

imafrshmn
KeithK

If all news outlets cared about was profits, our democracy would be in terrible shape. Oh wait...
When news outlets don't pay attention to revenue/profits they go out of business.

Date: March 20, 2010 05:31PM

KeithK
imafrshmn
KeithK

When news outlets don't pay attention to revenue/profits they go out of business.

The BBC seems to be doing pretty well. Funny how information is a public good.

Date: March 20, 2010 05:32PM

The Cornell Daily Sun, Inc. needs to make a profit to stay in business but with less than 10 paid employees, it doesn't have to make much. And the Business Board doesn't tell the Editorial Board what to publish in the newspaper. Hence my criticism.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:37PM

mnagowski
KeithK
imafrshmn
KeithK

The BBC seems to be doing pretty well. Funny how information is a public good.
Most news outlets don't have the power to tax the public for their upkeep.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 12:38AM

KeithK
imafrshmn
KeithK

Keith, he said "If all news outlets cared about...". I think we all realize that they have to make money, but that doesn't mean they can't do a community good and publish things we ought to know and not just what sells. I'd prefer if the Sun had at least a short article on Monday, so everyone knows what happened, and then more in depth later, assuming they can't do it all on Monday.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 06:44PM

Roy 82
Back in the day, we used to dominate in Ultimate IIRC.

Not NCAA sanctioned, and I'm pretty sure Cornell has never won a UPA title (although they may have won some pre-UPA national tournament). The closest they got was a finals loss to Oregon in the early 90s (I think it was 91). In case anyone's interested, the men's team won the region and advanced to nationals last year. They did well, advancing out of pool play, but I think they lost a tight game in the game to go to quarters in a rematch of the regional final game against Pitt.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:51PM

mnagowski

The Sun is reporting that this is the first time a Cornell women's team will ever compete for a title, let alone possibly win it.

Of course, I believe our women's crew and polo teams have won in the past, they are just not NCAA sanctioned.

Cornell women have won unsanctioned titles in not only polo and rowing, but also fencing and figure skating.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: March 21, 2010 10:45PM

Jacob 03
mnagowski

Cornell women have won unsanctioned titles in not only polo and rowing, but also fencing and figure skating.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks. The more you know. (TM)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login