Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ncaa selection show party 5pm 3/13 at newman arena

Posted by phillysportsfan 
ncaa selection show party 5pm 3/13 at newman arena
Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 04:40PM

for anyone who did not just get the email:

Join Coach Steve Donahue and the 2009-10 Cornell Men's Basketball team this Sunday, March 14th at Newman Arena for an unforgettable NCAA Selection Show. Be there when the team learns its tournament fate for the First Round games, and experience all of the excitement that's been building up all year!

The Cornell Selection Show at Newman Arena will include a LIVE large-screen broadcast of the CBS NCAA Selection Show, Coach Donahue's ceremonial cutting of the nets and words from Coach and this incredible team.

Doors Open: 5:00p.m.
Event Begins: 5:30p.m.
(doors will close at 5:30p.m. - no late admittance)

This is a FREE event, but hard tickets are required for all attendees. A limited number of seats are available, so come by the Athletic Ticket Office in Bartels Hall beginning at 10:00a.m. on Tuesday, March 9th. These tickets will go very quickly, so do not hesitate in getting yours!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 04:41PM by phillysportsfan.

Re: ncaa selection show party 5pm 3/13 at newman arena
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 04:48PM

Speaking of selection, here's one "expert" who puts us in Providencebanana [espn.go.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 07:28PM

Al DeFlorio
Speaking of selection, here's one "expert" who puts us in Providencebanana [espn.go.com]

C'mon San Jose!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 10:24PM

phillysportsfan
for anyone who did not just get the email:

Join Coach Steve Donahue and the 2009-10 Cornell Men's Basketball team this Sunday, March 14th at Newman Arena for an unforgettable NCAA Selection Show. Be there when the team learns its tournament fate for the First Round games, and experience all of the excitement that's been building up all year!

The Cornell Selection Show at Newman Arena will include a LIVE large-screen broadcast of the CBS NCAA Selection Show, Coach Donahue's ceremonial cutting of the nets and words from Coach and this incredible team.

Doors Open: 5:00p.m.
Event Begins: 5:30p.m.
(doors will close at 5:30p.m. - no late admittance)

This is a FREE event, but hard tickets are required for all attendees. A limited number of seats are available, so come by the Athletic Ticket Office in Bartels Hall beginning at 10:00a.m. on Tuesday, March 9th. These tickets will go very quickly, so do not hesitate in getting yours!
Has The Line started to form yet?

Date: March 08, 2010 10:41PM

I would be surprised if there is any more than a few people in line before 10am tomorrow

Posted by: RichH (67.201.121.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 01:39AM

phillysportsfan
I would be surprised if there is any more than a few people in line before 10am tomorrow

Oh boy! TEEVEE TEEVEE TEEVEE TEEVEE TEEVEE TEEVEE!!1!111!!!eleven!!

They're going to file people in and have them sit there for an hour and a half. Then some guy in a headset is going to tell when to cheer and scream and wave when the light above the camera goes on and he'll also point at you because people in some studio somewhere else wants you to show everyone how crazy xtreme and ROWDY SPORTS FANZ we are!!!1 YEAH!!! TEE!!!! VEE!!!!!! After 20 seconds, the light will go off, and you'll get to leave knowing that CBS is pleased with your enthusiasm. Where do I get these precious tickets??!!

I would rather be at the Big Red Freakout.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2010 08:22AM

RichH
phillysportsfan

They're going to file people in and have them sit there for an hour and a half. Then some guy in a headset is going to tell when to cheer and scream and wave when the light above the camera goes on and he'll also point at you because people in some studio somewhere else wants you to show everyone how crazy xtreme and ROWDY SPORTS FANZ we are!!!1 YEAH!!! TEE!!!! VEE!!!!!! After 20 seconds, the light will go off, and you'll get to leave knowing that CBS is pleased with your enthusiasm. Where do I get these precious tickets??!!

What if CBS gives everyone one Thunderstik?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 09, 2010 09:02AM

I dont think CBS is even going to be there

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 09:54AM

RichH
phillysportsfan

Does the announcement even say anything about being on television?

But if we do happen to be shown on the screen, your reaction is spot on. National attention on our program, and enthusiasm from our fans in front of millions of viewers, is a terrible and manipulative waste of time.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 09, 2010 10:22AM

RichH
phillysportsfan

Says our most telegenic ELFer ;-).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 12:36PM

Rita

Oh snap.

Date: March 09, 2010 01:28PM

Jordan 04

You're right, it doesn't. I retract my snark.

faked, prompted enthusiasm from our fans in front of millions of viewers, is a terrible and manipulative waste of time.

FYP. I agree completely.

Date: March 09, 2010 01:32PM

Rita

There's a difference. I'm not the one seeking out a camera. I only know I'm on by the avalanche of txts I get afterwards. You'll never catch me mugging or waving or woo-ing for a camera. Or a t-shirt toss, for that matter.

Date: March 09, 2010 01:43PM

RichH
Jordan 04

You're right, it doesn't. I retract my snark.

faked, prompted enthusiasm from our fans in front of millions of viewers, is a terrible and manipulative waste of time.

FYP. I agree completely.

Ok, aside from the 'ole intertubes "FYP, and I agree" douchiness, we can simply disagree.

I figure if someone isn't enthusiastic about the Cornell basketball team, they're not going to trek up to Newman on a weekend to cheer on the team. And being "prompted" to cheer and show that enthusiasm while on live television is no different from the Faithful being "prompted" by the pep band to do Screw BU, or the team "prompting" the crowd to cheer for sticks-in-the-air, or the stage manager at a television show (e.g. Daily Show) "prompting" the audience to cheer coming back from commercial. It's not as if a disinterested, bored crowd is being tricked to display fake enthusiasm.

But either way, snarks are moot since it doesn't appear that the gathering will be televised.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2010 02:02PM

CBS only usually has a camera at the Selection Sunday events for the big time teams but the fact that there will probably be a camera at Syracuse makes it more likely there could be a camera here but I doubt it

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 09, 2010 02:28PM

RichH
Rita

There's a difference. I'm not the one seeking out a camera. I only know I'm on by the avalanche of txts I get afterwards. You'll never catch me mugging or waving or woo-ing for a camera. Or a t-shirt toss, for that matter.

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you do or would be "mugging for the camera", just that the camera always seems to find you in the stands or walking by during a post-game interviews with coaches.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 02:35PM

It's a thin line between sports fan involvement and wasting-your-life craziness. You drive five hours to see a game and back. Normal? You wait (used to have to wait) overnight or tickets. Normal? I got up a 4 a.m. a couple weeks ago outside San Diego to be in Boston for the Harvard game because someone gave me a $15 ticket some Cantab had no use for (it not being for Yale football). Normal? Hey, I thought so. So you wait an hour with friends to get in and learn our seeding, that's not abnormal in the scheme of deviant sports fan behavior.

Posted by: RichH (208.12.121.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 02:58PM

Jordan 04
I figure if someone isn't enthusiastic about the Cornell basketball team, they're not going to trek up to Newman on a weekend to cheer on the team.

If there are no cameras, I agree. With cameras, you will get more of a "camera whore" contingent. And upon further thought, I'm kinda impressed that Athletics is doing this now in giving students a chance to congregate in one place to watch and do the nets thing. I showed up for the banner-raising thing at Lynah in 2003, and it was really nice. I'm glad they're doing the same for a special moment in the basketball team's history. I apologize for my earlier cynicism & douchebaggery about this.

the team "prompting" the crowd to cheer for sticks-in-the-air,

Do you really think that gesture is the team saying "everybody get up and cheer for us?" It's a mutual salute. The team thanks the fans for their support and the crowd normally responds with a cheer for the team's effort. I think the team would still salute if there were no cheers, and I think the cheers would still happen if there were no stick salute. Before that started, there were still large, spontaneous cheers from the fans as the team skated to the locker room. There still are at road games as well when they can't do a formal salute.

The "townies up!" chant is more along the lines as being contrived, and I dislike that. The townies rarely need prompting to know when something excites them.

the stage manager at a television show (e.g. Daily Show) "prompting" the audience to cheer coming back from commercial. It's not as if a disinterested, bored crowd is being tricked to display fake enthusiasm.

This is similar, and to tell you the truth, I dislike that a great deal as well. I know why they do it: because the audience has been waiting for 3 boring hours just to get in. They try to keep the energy up by using a warm-up comic as well. Look, I'll laugh and clap if the material merits it (and it usually does for TDS), but when the producer tells me before the show to make sure I exaggerate my laughter during the taping, well, I just roll my eyes. I prefer that my own laughter and applause be genuine, and even though this is why they even let in an audience in the first place, I'd rather not be used as a prop for some television marketing hype. (This is where you use your zinger, Rita!) :-)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 03:03PM by RichH.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (150.108.60.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 03:35PM

RichH

the stage manager at a television show (e.g. Daily Show) "prompting" the audience to cheer coming back from commercial. It's not as if a disinterested, bored crowd is being tricked to display fake enthusiasm.

This is similar, and to tell you the truth, I dislike that a great deal as well. I know why they do it: because the audience has been waiting for 3 boring hours just to get in. They try to keep the energy up by using a warm-up comic as well. Look, I'll laugh and clap if the material merits it (and it usually does for TDS), but when the producer tells me before the show to make sure I exaggerate my laughter during the taping, well, I just roll my eyes. I prefer that my own laughter and applause be genuine, and even though this is why they even let in an audience in the first place, I'd rather not be used as a prop for some television marketing hype. (This is where you use your zinger, Rita!) :-)

I've been to Daily Show tapings with RichH. His back-from-commercial cheering rates in the bottom quintile.

He did high-five Colbert once, though.

Posted by: RichH (208.12.121.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 05:16PM

Jacob 03
RichH

I've been to Daily Show tapings with RichH. His back-from-commercial cheering rates in the bottom quintile.

It was more of a quick, but firm post-show handshake.

It should be noted for on-topicness that the first time I was in the Daily Show audience coincided exactly with the Stanford-Cornell NCAA game. I had on a CU sweatshirt, and thought about asking Jon Stewart if he was sticking with his Cornell selection in his pool from a few years prior, but didn't have the nerve or the opportunity. After the taping, we were allowed to turn on our phones, and I had messages from JTW about where to go in Anaheim to drink. I had no idea if that was good or bad news.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 05:28PM

RichH
Jacob 03
RichH

It was more of a quick, but firm post-show handshake.

It should be noted for on-topicness that the first time I was in the Daily Show audience coincided exactly with the Stanford-Cornell NCAA game. I had on a CU sweatshirt, and thought about asking Jon Stewart if he was sticking with his Cornell selection in his pool from a few years prior, but didn't have the nerve or the opportunity. After the taping, we were allowed to turn on our phones, and I had messages from JTW about where to go in Anaheim to drink. I had no idea if that was good or bad news.
It isn't either. Win or lose...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2010 05:32PM

Josh '99
RichH
After the taping, we were allowed to turn on our phones, and I had messages from JTW about where to go in Anaheim to drink. I had no idea if that was good or bad news.
It isn't either. Win or lose...

I was gonna say, that was just an indication that the game was over...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2010 05:59PM

Especially after that year, I think all of us and the team has even admitted they were just happy to be there. Foote did not have the physical strength he has now to even compete with the Lopez twins. He says that game really motivated him to really start building on his physical strength.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2010 09:12PM

billhoward
It's a thin line between sports fan involvement and wasting-your-life craziness. You drive five hours to see a game and back. Normal? You wait (used to have to wait) overnight or tickets. Normal? I got up a 4 a.m. a couple weeks ago outside San Diego to be in Boston for the Harvard game because someone gave me a $15 ticket some Cantab had no use for (it not being for Yale football). Normal? Hey, I thought so. So you wait an hour with friends to get in and learn our seeding, that's not abnormal in the scheme of deviant sports fan behavior.
How'd you know? That's exactly how long it takes to get to Boston.:-}

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:55PM

Guess not too many people grabbed tickets yesterday. You can now get them online.

[cornellbigredtickets.universitytickets.com]

Date: March 10, 2010 04:58PM

ebilmes
Guess not too many people grabbed tickets yesterday. You can now get them online.

[cornellbigredtickets.universitytickets.com]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, it would have been nice to get a good crowd there but since it is probably not on tv having only the true fans there isnt a bad thing

Date: March 11, 2010 02:15PM

Someone posted on the basketball forum that CBS was "considering having Cornell as one of it's live sites for Selection Sunday, depending on how many tickets they give out, or how full they predict the arena to be."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 05:06PM

Brian Delaney reports that CBS is coming to Newman: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 05:19PM

The party will be viewable online on Redcast beginning at 5:45, according to the Athletics website:

[www.cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 05:49PM

Redcast actually picked up about 5:20. Barry Leonard did a nice little player intro.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 05:51PM

RichH
The party will be viewable online on Redcast beginning at 5:45, according to the Athletics website:

[www.cornellbigred.com]

Guess you need a subscription plan that includes basketball. A hockey only plan doesn't let you watch.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 05:55PM

Doesn't seem like there are very many people there.

EDIT: I guess they were just showing a section that is pretty empty, the center of the stands are full.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 05:56PM by Jacob '06.

Posted by: sarahtuba (---.hor.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: March 14, 2010 06:02PM

ncaa.com has live streaming of the selection show, in case you don't feel like paying for Redcast. Also, answering Rita's question on the other thread, so I don't have to post twice... the pep band will NOT be going to Minnesota with the women's hockey team. I'm sure we'd be happy to have alumni at the other events... email Adam Drenkard (afd38@cornell.edu) if you want to know for sure.

Sorry, I was wrong and have been chastised by my superiors. This is what I get for being away for the semester.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 09:03PM by sarahtuba.

Posted by: YankeeLobo (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 06:28PM

OUCHHHHHHHHH

Posted by: jaybert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 08:04PM

pep band will make it to jacksonville though? (sorry if it was posted elsewhere!)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 09:52PM by jaybert.

Posted by: hugel (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2010 08:12PM

jaybert

pep band will make it to jacksonville though? (sorry if it was posted elsewhere!)

band will be in jacksonville. NC$$ pays for the basketball tournament travel, but the band would have to pay its own way to minnesota for the womens frozen four.

Posted by: sarahtuba (---.hor.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: March 14, 2010 09:07PM

Sorry, I screwed up again. If you want to email Adam, please use afd38@cornell.edu. I changed it in my original post, but it didn't change the quoted text in jaybert's post, so I just thought I'd clarify. Again, sorry for being such a mess.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:18AM

YankeeLobo
OUCHHHHHHHHH
You are insane. If I were you I'd be worried more about UNM getting past Marquette - if they can guard Anthony Johnson.

Date: March 15, 2010 10:46AM

jaybert

As great as free chartered travel must be, the band sure has been stuck with some pathetic first round sites the last couple of years. Boise, and now Jacksonville.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login