Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Odds that Donahue stays?

Posted by YankeeLobo 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Odds that Donahue stays?
Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 08:12AM

Looks like St Johns will hire Lavin, that makes sense because they need a good recruiter although now there is speculation that BC might fire their coach

[thequad.blogs.nytimes.com]
[content.usatoday.com]

Date: March 30, 2010 08:21AM

YankeeLobo
Not sure whether to trust anything the Post or News reports, but at least we now know that Donahue is serious about other jobs but no one is biting. He seems like a helluva coach but maybe he's just a poor interviewer. I don't know how the Iona coach got the job over Donahue. Donahue would've gotten a 5x raise, the ex-Iona guy will be making $1 million per year. Wow.

[www.theithacajournal.com]
You might be right about the inaccuracy of these reports, in the article Donahue flat out denies them

The 10th-year men's basketball coach is as popular as ever after leading the Big Red to a 29-5 record, including two NCAA tournament wins, and a third straight Ivy League championship. But he denied published reports that he was interested in either the St. John's or Siena jobs, and said he's turned down multiple inquiries.

St. John's cut ties recently with Norm Roberts, and former Siena coach Fran McCaffery accepted the head coaching position at Iowa on Monday.

"As I say to you all the time, really it has to be a flat-out home run," Donahue said. "No matter what you read, there's nothing that I've even entertained that I would even consider leaving Cornell for. Nothing. There's just not. I've said no to every single one of the (calls) that have inquired about me leaving here.

"To beat this situation, in terms of the people I work for, the university I represent, the family loving the area as much as they do, all those things, it would have to be an incredible situation for me to leave Cornell.

Donahue said a job opening in one of the country's major conferences (determined by the average athletic budget size of member schools) does not necessarily equate into a "home run" position.

"No, no," he said. "It does not. No. That's not why I coach. So many other reasons go into decision-making professionally."

Donahue has said repeatedly this season that people may not realize "how good I have it" at Cornell.

"All the things I just talked about: people, institution, culture, those things-- they are really important to me," he said.

Posted by: finchphil (---.fenwayhealth.org)
Date: March 30, 2010 09:17AM

According to Boston Globe, BC has fired Al Skinner and Donohue is high on the list there...

Globe

Date: March 30, 2010 09:40AM

That would be a win-win if they hire Amaker

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 11:39AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
It does point out the irrelevance of Penn State basketball that 1) nobody thought you were joking or teasing and 2) Nobody cares that you were joking or teasing.

There's a fanatical Penn State football fan at my job. He said he's met more supporters of the Penn State club hockey team than of their basketball team.

Posted by: srg1 (---.sub-75-194-40.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2010 01:06PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
It does point out the irrelevance of Penn State basketball that 1) nobody thought you were joking or teasing and 2) Nobody cares that you were joking or teasing.

There's a fanatical Penn State football fan at my job. He said he's met more supporters of the Penn State club hockey team than of their basketball team.

The fact that Penn State is keeping DeChellis is a joke. They are keeping him because he is an inexpensive solution and the team has not caused controversy. That program is awful right now.

Would Zach Spiker return to Cornell if Donahue left?

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 01:40PM

I just heard on WFAN in NYC that Donahue is reportedly in the running for the BC job, which has just opened up. That would be an excellent step up for him, going into the ACC.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2010 02:36PM

srg1
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82

The fact that Penn State is keeping DeChellis is a joke. They are keeping him because he is an inexpensive solution and the team has not caused controversy. That program is awful right now.

Would Zach Spiker return to Cornell if Donahue left?

Rutgers keeping Fred Hill is another joke, both Rutgers and Penn St are just pathetic programs.

I dont see Spiker returning, he just took the job at Army 1 year ago.

I dont think BC is really a better job than St Johns or Seton Hall, Big East = ACC and all three of those programs are in bad shape. Plus at least basketball is #1 at Seton Hall or St Johns, basketball is not the #1 sport at BC. Donahue has already denied interest in Seton Hall,St Johns why would he want to go to BC. I think Amaker is their choice, Harvard student papers are already reporting that Amaker would leave Harvard for BC. Amaker has beaten BC the last 2 years, he has recruited at that level, he already lives in Boston.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 02:39PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2010 03:02PM

phillysportsfan
I dont think BC is really a better job than St Johns or Seton Hall, Big East = ACC and all three of those programs are in bad shape. Plus at least basketball is #1 at Seton Hall or St Johns, basketball is not the #1 sport at BC. Donahue has already denied interest in Seton Hall,St Johns why would he want to go to BC. I think Amaker is their choice, Harvard student papers are already reporting that Amaker would leave Harvard for BC. Amaker has beaten BC the last 2 years, he has recruited at that level, he already lives in Boston.
BC is in bad shape after missing the tournament? They were a tournament team 7 times in the aughts and a Sweet 16 team in '06 (and should have been in '05). BC also probably has more to spend on a coach than either SJU or SHU. Unless Amaker is related to Sarah Palin (our next President), I have no idea why his record at Harvard, Michigan or SHU would earn him the BC job.

Date: March 30, 2010 03:59PM

ugarte
phillysportsfan
BC is in bad shape after missing the tournament? They were a tournament team 7 times in the aughts and a Sweet 16 team in '06 (and should have been in '05). BC also probably has more to spend on a coach than either SJU or SHU. Unless Amaker is related to Sarah Palin (our next President), I have no idea why his record at Harvard, Michigan or SHU would earn him the BC job.

Ok, BC is not in bad shape but BC had the worst year of the 3. Seton Hall was only a few wins out of the tournament. All three programs are probably roughly at the same point at this time, they are not Rutgers/Depaul bad but they are not good either. Not sure what BC was paying Skinner but St Johns offered Billy Donovan $3-$3.5 mil. Plus BC is so screwed up being in the ACC, every game is a plane flight away

I am not saying Amaker is a better candidate, I am just guessing that they would rather hire Amaker over Donahue because Amaker has been at that level before. Seton Hall and St Johns were not that interested in Donahue. Seton Hall hired Kevin Willard who turned Iona around in a short time but still never made the tournament. St Johns hired Lavin who was great at UCLA but hasnt coached in 7 years. Donahue is probably comparable in coaching ability at least to Willard but those schools didnt want him because he hasnt recruited at near that level before.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 10:57PM by phillysportsfan.

Date: March 31, 2010 02:09AM

Jeff Goodman is reporting Donahue will interview at BC tomorrow, probably a better source that those NY post articles

Date: April 04, 2010 01:40PM

Donahue is apparently a finalist at BC with two former BC assistants Fairfield's Cooley and Northeastern's Coen

Date: April 05, 2010 02:18PM

Donahue emerging as a possible favorite for the BC job
[www.boston.com]

Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: April 05, 2010 03:49PM

Donahue should just wait it out at Cornell until Boeheim retires at Syracuse.

Date: April 05, 2010 04:08PM

YankeeLobo

That is an interesting thought given all of Boeheim's support for Donahue but I think one of their assistants Hopkins who removed himself from consideration for the Charlotte job is the next guy in line after Boeheim retires
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 04:08PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 05:22PM

phillysportsfan
YankeeLobo

That is an interesting thought given all of Boeheim's support for Donahue but I think one of their assistants Hopkins who removed himself from consideration for the Charlotte job is the next guy in line after Boeheim retires
Yes, he's essentially the coach-in-waiting.

Date: April 05, 2010 06:32PM

[www.boston.com]

Looks like they might announce Donahue as BC's next coach tomorrow, article also mentioned Hofstra offered him 700k for five years, had not seen that anywhere else

I guess if Donahue is not at that Winter Sports honoring thing tomorrow we will know he got the BC job

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 10:43AM

ESPN reporting (Sportscenter, couldn't find an article) that BC will announce Donahue as their coach later today.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 11:04AM

mikek
ESPN reporting (Sportscenter, couldn't find an article) that BC will announce Donahue as their coach later today.

[news.bostonherald.com]

[sports.espn.go.com]
[www.boston.com]

Of interest from the espn story is a statement from a Cornell source and then there's the last paragraph:

Multiple sources said here in Indianapolis that Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 11:10AM by RichH.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 11:07AM

To answer the thread topic:

zero

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 11:13AM

It makes it easy for a "home run" to come your way when you're out there swinging for the fences.

Good luck in the ACC, coach. Thanks for the ride.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 06, 2010 01:27PM

cth95

zero
That's ;ike sayign what are the odds that Duke wins the squeakball tournament. 100% after the fact.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 03:34PM

KeithK
cth95

zero
That's ;ike sayign what are the odds that Duke wins the squeakball tournament. 100% after the fact.

That was my point. The question was still there, and now we know the answer.

I guess I could have added this: :-)

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login