Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Odds that Donahue stays?

Posted by YankeeLobo 
Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Odds that Donahue stays?
Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: February 05, 2010 07:14PM

It's pretty likely that Donahue is gone after this season - any one feel differently? I heard people starting a "Save Steve" fund in Ithaca, but I'm not sure that will help. He knows his stock will never be higher and the money and stakes are higher most everywhere else. I wonder what jobs will be open that he'd take an interest in?

Re: Odds that Donahue stays?
Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 07:27PM

one thing that might motivate a decision to stay in Ithaca is quality of life. He does have four young children, I believe. Not many leagues where you can have dinner with your kids five nights a week during the season.

Date: February 05, 2010 07:35PM

That's true. Even down here in New Mexico, which is considered a mid-major, Steve Alford is basically workin round the clock dealing with various media and community obligations. In fairness, New Mexico is crazy about the Lobos, but still, imagine what it's like coaching ina Power 6 conference with any semblance of a basketball program.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 08:15PM

Another fair question to ask is how much more the University would be willing to pay to keep Donahue in Ithaca. Wild speculation on my part, but probably no more than $200,000 a year -- $100,000 in salary and another $100,000 for additional travel, recruiting expenses, etc.

The budget for basketball is currently $1.2 MM a year, and I doubt it makes anywhere close to that amount of money. Ticket revenue probably only amounts to $200,000 a year. And even if Cornell makes a run to the Sweet Sixteen this year, how much additional money do you think that would yield in donations?

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2010 09:24PM

I think he would jump to a school closer to the Philly area where his family is from.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 11:05PM

Fran Dunphy and Pete Carrill both stayed put after having more success than Steve Donahue has had. Carrill stayed until he retired (even though the NBA lured him out of retirement) and Dunphy stayed until the Temple job opened up and he could take it without moving.

I'm sure Donahue will get offers, and I'm sure he got them last year also. Until I hear that he is interested in someplace else - rather than that someplace else is interested in him - I'll assume that he's sticking around. Naive, perhaps, but I'm OK with that.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 11:15PM

right now its zero chance he comes back.. but a run in the ncaa might show him you can do it here with a lot less stress.. but we lose enough this year, he may jump ship anyway.

Date: February 05, 2010 11:20PM

I dont know much about Carrill but Dunphy is a Philly guy and always has been, he wasnt going to leave Penn for anywhere but a Big 5 job.

Donahue was interested in the Penn job 3 years ago and was a final candidate with Miller, Penn picked the wrong guy. I dont see Donahue going for Penn now but I would think he would go for a job that was closer to Philly. Besides Fordham and Penn there really arent any current openings close to Philly but I would not be surprised if there are openings at Rutgers, St Johns or Lasalle at the end of the season

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 01:06AM

If John Thompson III can go from Princeton to Georgetown after 2 NCAA appearances in 4 years, there's no reason to think Donahue couldn't go to a BCS conference. Granted JT3 had some nepotism going in his favor, but there is definitely a history that Donahue could end up better than in the Rutgers/Lasalle/St Johns area.

Posted by: fatchance72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 11:12AM

I was wondering when someone would start this thread. . .

I think he's gone. The title asked for odds. . . I'd say %70 chance he walks for a low-end Big10 (Penn St?) or BigEast (St. Johns? Rutgers?) school. I agree that he'd like to go back to Philly, but he's not going to be able to, IMO, if he wants to try his hand at the best place available.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 11:14AM

I'd say about a 5% chance he stays. At best.

Date: February 06, 2010 02:49PM

Assuming Donahue is gone, the next question is who do we replace him with? Do they promote an assistant (Nat Graham has been here for 5 years) or do they look nationally? The problem is Cornell doesnt have much appeal nationally for basketball but since it is a DI job someone will want it

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 02:53PM

phillysportsfan
Assuming Donahue is gone, the next question is who do we replace him with? Do they promote an assistant (Nat Graham has been here for 5 years) or do they look nationally? The problem is Cornell doesnt have much appeal nationally for basketball but since it is a DI job someone will want it
I understand where your coming from. But geez, isn't a little early to speculate about the man's replacement? Can't we wait at least until the day after the season ends?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 03:10PM

KeithK
phillysportsfan
I understand where your coming from. But geez, isn't a little early to speculate about the man's replacement? Can't we wait at least until the day after the season ends?
Or how about the day after he resigns? What are we trying to do, tell him to go?

Date: February 06, 2010 03:51PM

No I definitely dont want him to go, I think it is even too early to discuss if he is leaving. I wish he would stay and make Cornell a force in the conference for many years as Dunphy did at Penn. As discussed in other thread we have to live in the moment with this team as much as possible because it will probably be the best Cornell team in our lifetime unless Donahue stays, then anything is possible

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 01:02AM

Part of this thread might sound like woofing - you start talking about Donahue leaving and those air molecules moving around your fingers as you type affects the air pressure in Donahue's sinuses when he thinks on what he should do. The other thought is, sure, it's grist for conversation. Who doesn't wonder what a great coach is doing in a place like Cornell when #25 in the nation is about the best you can hope to do? He does this the rest of his life in Ithaca, maybe he'll make the Sweet 16 twice and maybe on a fluke make a Final Four. If he's making in the vincinity of $200K, it sounds like a lot until you plan to save for college and think it would be nice to have a retirement nest egg of investments worth $2 million (their equivalent in 35 years expressed in today's dollars) by the time you retire. Whatever you're earning, it never feels like enough. Someplace else it can be $500K including the shoe contracts and summer camps.

I hope Cornell can sweeten the pot for Donahue if that makes a difference in his staying at least for another couple years. "Cornell" would mean friends of Cornell further endowing his position. I don't believe a Cornell "awash in red ink" (David Skorton's words) has the money in-house. (It just told the theater department to plan on cutting $2 million.) Andy Noel also has a delicate balancing act: He can't let the compensation for Mike Schafer and Jeff Tambroni get out of whack. Over the next decade, it's those two who are going to bring Cornell a national championship. And if the money gets too far out of hand for the name coaches, the faculty will be revolting.

I hope Donahue stays. I fear the example of Pete Caril is the exception that proves the rule. And unless the recruiting class of 2014 is boffo, next year we'll cede the league title to Harvard or Princeton. Any HS senior consider multiple Ivies is going to be told by the other seven schools, "C'mon, you really think Donahue will be back?"

Date: February 07, 2010 02:12PM

For all we know, he could be planning to remain here for the rest of his life. Not very likely, but who knows what he's thinking? We haven't heard any speculation, but all over the press you hear about how schools would be foolish to pass up a guy like Steve Donahue if he was available. Except for the Ivy League and some other low D1 conferences, basketball (and football) coaches are the highest paid employees. Providence pays their coach $660K, Holy Cross (TERRIBLE program) pays $450K. For the right job, Donahue could triple his salary. And even if he goes to a St. John's, Rutgers et. al and fails in reviving the program, he knows there will always be a job in Ithaca waiting for him : )

Posted by: MannHermit (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 03:05PM

I know he basically HAS to say stuff like this, but he did tell the Associated Press last month that he knows he has it good at Cornell and that he's not eager to move on. I figure he can't say, "I'll bolt to a bigger school if I get the chance," though.

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 04:56PM

We're all hoping Donohue stays, but all the more reason to enjoy the team for the next 2 months.

Date: February 07, 2010 11:48PM

MannHermit
I know he basically HAS to say stuff like this, but he did tell the Associated Press last month that he knows he has it good at Cornell and that he's not eager to move on. I figure he can't say, "I'll bolt to a bigger school if I get the chance," though.
Unless he has an offer on the table he has to say that. And frankly he does have it pretty good in Ithaca right now.

Random question: are there tampering rules in college sports? Could a school offer him a contract at any time?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 07:53AM

It seems that with College football, they at least wait until the end of the regular season to start poaching coaches from other programs. I think in college basketball it is after a team has been eliminated from post-season play /end of regular season.

ESPN the Magazine did an article about this with college football. It seems that there are companies/agencies that specialize in the discrete negotiations are becoming popular and help determine if the people on a given university's "wish list" are interested in the job and what it will take to get the coach out of his current contract. I believe they also work in the other direction in helping a coach move to a different school. Can't find the link to the specific article, but it came out in the Fall 2009.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 08, 2010 08:02AM

My guess is that both the St. Johns and Rutgers jobs are open after the season, and that Donahue would be an attractive candidate for either school. Whether those are the types of jobs he would consider, who knows? Between the two, you'd think St. Johns would have more cachet.

Date: February 08, 2010 11:48AM

St. John's has slightly more cachet. Been a while since they were good, when Mike Jarvis was their coach.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 09, 2010 02:46PM

Great article on midmajority.com about the decision mid major coaches must make between moving up to get hired to be fired at the BCS schools or in creating a dynasty at their mid major program. Artice does mention Donahue and makes a strong case why someone in his position would be better off to stay at a mid major school.

[www.midmajority.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 03:30PM by phillysportsfan.

Date: February 09, 2010 03:29PM

Also Cornell is starting a new sports show that will interview Cornell coaches and athletes every Tuesday night at 7pm and Donahue will be the first coach interviewed tonight

[cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 12, 2010 07:16AM

From today's Philly paper:

Would he consider taking the Penn job if athletic director Steve Bilsky offers it?

"You know, when I'm in the season, it's hard to [think about going] anywhere," he said. "I'm so wrapped up in what we are trying to do here. It's not something I even feel like commenting on."

Running that through Babel Fish comes up with "my bags are packed and I'll see you on April 1st, or 6th."

[www.philly.com]

Date: February 12, 2010 07:39AM

ithacat
From today's Philly paper:

Would he consider taking the Penn job if athletic director Steve Bilsky offers it?

"You know, when I'm in the season, it's hard to [think about going] anywhere," he said. "I'm so wrapped up in what we are trying to do here. It's not something I even feel like commenting on."

Running that through Babel Fish comes up with "my bags are packed and I'll see you on April 1st, or 6th."

[www.philly.com]
I agree, that's a pretty good yes. Not even the, "I'm happy with where I am and what we're doing.", or "I like my job and these kids.", or some such. Now that doesn't mean he's leaving, but it does say he's certainly considering it.

Date: February 12, 2010 12:41PM

Why would Donahue leave Cornell for the Penn job? So he can be the bitch of the Big 5 for the next 10 years? That's a huge step down for him. I understand that he's from there and all, but why not hold out for a job at a place like LaSalle where you'll get paid more and play in a respected conference. Makes no sense to me. This is the equivalent of Pete Carroll taking a job at Washington because he's from the State.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 12:43PM by YankeeLobo.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 12, 2010 03:37PM

YankeeLobo
Why would Donahue leave Cornell for the Penn job? So he can be the bitch of the Big 5 for the next 10 years? That's a huge step down for him. I understand that he's from there and all, but why not hold out for a job at a place like LaSalle where you'll get paid more and play in a respected conference. Makes no sense to me. This is the equivalent of Pete Carroll taking a job at Washington because he's from the State.

If you are a city guy, you want to live in a city. I like Ithaca but I couldn't live in Ithaca.

Date: February 12, 2010 05:21PM

Donahue may have also said that because he might not be interested in the Penn job but in other jobs such as Rutgers/Penn State so he doesnt want to close any doors by saying I am happy where I am at, I dont want to go anywhere else.

Date: February 12, 2010 05:34PM

phillysportsfan
Donahue may have also said that because he might not be interested in the Penn job but in other jobs such as Rutgers/Penn State so he doesnt want to close any doors by saying I am happy where I am at, I dont want to go anywhere else.
I will state with certainty - while having absolutely no evidence - that if an AD wants to inquire about the availability of a coach, he doesn't take public comments made during the season into account. He just makes a phone call to the guy's agent after the season.

Date: February 12, 2010 06:14PM

Yeah now that I think about you are probably right because most of what coaches say in the media is meaningless

Date: February 12, 2010 10:28PM

I dont think we have to worry about Donahue leaving for Penn now, I bet Penn names Jerome Allen their permanent head coach

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2010 12:19AM

phillysportsfan

It doesn't close any doors; it raises the price. :-)

Date: February 13, 2010 12:24AM

phillysportsfan
I dont think we have to worry about Donahue leaving for Penn now, I bet Penn names Jerome Allen their permanent head coach
He certainly is making a bid for it. A team that was considered a risk to go 0-14 now has 3 league wins including the top scalp.

Date: February 13, 2010 12:53AM

Yeah I hope they do hire Allen because Donahue going to Penn would be unacceptable, I could deal with him going anywhere else even though I wish he would not leave

Posted by: YankeeLobo (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2010 02:45AM

I'd say Donahue is long gone after this season to Penn, especially after what happened last night.

Date: February 13, 2010 10:21AM

YankeeLobo
I'd say Donahue is long gone after this season to Penn, especially after what happened last night.

Wouldnt last night make it less of a chance that Donahue goes to Penn because Allen is starting to prove he can coach and motivate? Last night's game does have much effect on Donahue going anywhere else but I do not think he goes to Penn now. I got to give Allen credit because if Penn played like they did last night they would not be 4-15.

Date: February 13, 2010 06:02PM

phillysportsfan
YankeeLobo

Wouldnt last night make it less of a chance that Donahue goes to Penn because Allen is starting to prove he can coach and motivate? Last night's game does have much effect on Donahue going anywhere else but I do not think he goes to Penn now. I got to give Allen credit because if Penn played like they did last night they would not be 4-15.
All three of Penn's league wins came under Allen. The team has improved a great deal now that they care about playing. Miller was a disaster - though he should get credit for recruiting the team that Allen is winning with.

Date: February 21, 2010 12:14AM

Dont think we have to worry about Donahue going to Penn, here is a quote from Penn's best player Zach Rosen when asked if Allen should be hired full time

"Undoubtedly. I don’t know if I’ve hinted at it or tried to hint at it in different ways without saying he’s our guy, but Jerome Allen is the right person for the job and they should hire him as soon as they possibly can. They should be begging him to stay.

"He demands respect. He knows what it takes to win and he’s gonna do everything that it does take. He’s willing to put in the work. He’s special with people. I could write a list on the top of this stat sheet for you and get it to you next game."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 02:45PM

From the NY Times article quoted on another thread:

“What Steve has already done at Cornell is phenomenal,” Noel said. “I like to focus on what else could be done.”

Some on eLynah think poorly of Noel, as some of you know I've had my run ins with him, but he has done a fantastic job of picking coaches, and I'm sure he's going to do whatever he can to keep Donahue here.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 06:52PM

of course coming up with another 200k in this climate is the biggest issue

Date: February 22, 2010 12:33AM

I am sure Donahue gets a raise at the end of the year but I dont think money will be what keeps him here or makes him leave. Cornell cannot compete on salary with any of the teams Donahue would go to. Even Fordham who fired their coach earlier in the year announced they are stepping up their athletic budget and will pay about 400k to 500k for a new head coach. At the end of the day he will go somewhere that is the right fit where he believes he can build a solid program because it doesnt make a lot of sense to go somewhere only to get fired in a few years and then have to take a step down by being an assistant somewhere. Or he might stay here because he is basically guaranteed a job for life here, maybe some alum steps up and donates a bunch of money to keep him here

Date: March 06, 2010 07:45AM

To get this started again, here's a quote from an article in The Syracuse Post-Standard.

Donahue said this squad has shown it can compete with the top teams in the country in a way none of his clubs has before. This year’s team, he said, is Cornell’s deepest and most talented yet.

“I’m going to try for the rest of my coaching career to get a group like this, and I may never get there,” he said. “I’m pretty sure I won’t.”
Gives some hope that he doesn't want to jump upstream.

Date: March 06, 2010 12:48PM

Jim Hyla
To get this started again, here's a quote from an article in The Syracuse Post-Standard.

Donahue said this squad has shown it can compete with the top teams in the country in a way none of his clubs has before. This year’s team, he said, is Cornell’s deepest and most talented yet.

“I’m going to try for the rest of my coaching career to get a group like this, and I may never get there,” he said. “I’m pretty sure I won’t.”
Or the pessimist might read the quote as "I'm pretty sure I won't at Cornell." Time will tell.

Date: March 06, 2010 02:37PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla

Or the pessimist might read the quote as "I'm pretty sure I won't at Cornell." Time will tell.

That's how I read it.

Date: March 06, 2010 03:14PM

I'm not saying that I know he's staying, but you guys really are pessimists. First he says he may never get this again in the rest of his coaching career, then that he's pretty sure that he won't. You can read into that "at Cornell"? I'm happy that I never saw that.:-P

Date: March 06, 2010 03:55PM

Jim Hyla
I'm not saying that I know he's staying, but you guys really are pessimists. First he says he may never get this again in the rest of his coaching career, then that he's pretty sure that he won't. You can read into that "at Cornell"? I'm happy that I never saw that.:-P
It's easy to play the pessimist when I'm reading the quote in a thread that's speculating on whether the guy will leave. The context sets my mindset in advance. but like I said, time will tell.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 04:44PM

Jordan 04
KeithK
Jim Hyla

Or the pessimist might read the quote as, "I'm pretty sure I won't at Cornell." Time will tell.

That's how I read it.
As an optimist (about him staying), I read that as “I’m going to try for the rest of my coaching career to get a group like this, and I may never get there,” he said. “I’m pretty sure I won’t because I'm staying at Cornell.”

Date: March 06, 2010 04:46PM

I think you guys put more thought in that quote than Donahue did, it is just one quote, he doesnt even know now whether he will leave or not, it will all depend on the offers he gets

Date: March 06, 2010 05:17PM

phillysportsfan
I think you guys put more thought in that quote than Donahue did, it is just one quote, he doesnt even know now whether he will leave or not, it will all depend on the offers he gets
I agree we're reading more into it, but I also agree the quote is more positive than negative. But he may know he wants to stay. Yes I know everyone has their price, but he may feel comfortable here and doesn't realistically feel anyone could offer him enough to leave. Just saying.

Date: March 06, 2010 05:21PM

I'm not a pessimist, nor do I think he's going or staying based on the quote du jour. I just figure the realistic next step for him is to move onward and upward, in both salary and program stature.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 05:31PM

Jim Hyla

I don't really read that quote as having anything to do with whether he plans to stay or go. I think it's just a compliment about the senior class and how much he's enjoyed working with them.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 10:05PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla

I don't really read that quote as having anything to do with whether he plans to stay or go. I think it's just a compliment about the senior class and how much he's enjoyed working with them.

I also think that even if he were to move on, he's been around basketball in general, and the Ivy League in particular, to know how special this group is. If he were to jump to say an A-10 or a Big East schools, he'd probably be able to attract better players but not ones who are as good students as they are athletes, who have no discipline issues, who put team above their own superstar status, etc. Outside of about a few dozen programs, the seedy side of big-time college basketball makes it highly unlikely that a competitive program in a big-time conference will have character, intelligence, etc. of this group. So when he says he's unlikely to get another group like this, it could still mean he's looking to leave but just realizes he won't be likely to recruit kids like this in another environment. The bright spot, if you're a Cornell fan, is that he's too smart not to realize this. So even if he is contemplating moving on, he's unlikely to go just anywhere. He might go to a Notre Dame or a "public Ivy," but I think he'd probably turn down a place like UNLV or Memphis because he knows a competitive teams at places like these involve an entirely different kind of kid.

Date: March 07, 2010 10:31PM

Swampy
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

I also think that even if he were to move on, he's been around basketball in general, and the Ivy League in particular, to know how special this group is. If he were to jump to say an A-10 or a Big East schools, he'd probably be able to attract better players but not ones who are as good students as they are athletes, who have no discipline issues, who put team above their own superstar status, etc. Outside of about a few dozen programs, the seedy side of big-time college basketball makes it highly unlikely that a competitive program in a big-time conference will have character, intelligence, etc. of this group. So when he says he's unlikely to get another group like this, it could still mean he's looking to leave but just realizes he won't be likely to recruit kids like this in another environment. The bright spot, if you're a Cornell fan, is that he's too smart not to realize this. So even if he is contemplating moving on, he's unlikely to go just anywhere. He might go to a Notre Dame or a "public Ivy," but I think he'd probably turn down a place like UNLV or Memphis because he knows a competitive teams at places like these involve an entirely different kind of kid.
You're right. If you watch the video that Al posted (CU on YouTube), he does talk more about just those attributes. None of that was in the newspaper article, however.

Date: March 07, 2010 11:13PM

That is one reason why the bigger conference schools would not want him, recruiting in the Big East or any BCS conference is a lot different than recruiting in the Ivy league where he has recruited his whole life, if he leaves it will probably not be for a BCS school but more likely somewhere in between such as an A10 school such as Fordham

To get to the BCS he would have to prove himself in a quality mid major conference such as the A10
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 11:14PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: March 08, 2010 01:35AM

phillysportsfan
To get to the BCS he would have to prove himself in a quality mid major conference such as the A10

Well, there's always the possibility that a struggling BCS program like Northwestern or Oregon State decides to hire an Ivy coach.

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:35AM

Northwestern already has a former Ivy coach in Bill Carmody, so the thought that a struggling big conference team might hire an Ivy coach is not unreasonable. OTOH, based on the upward trend in performance (including a win over Purdue this year) I'd be surprised if NU will be in the market for a new coach. There are plenty of others, though, that might.

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:53AM

peterg
Northwestern already has a former Ivy coach in Bill Carmody, so the thought that a struggling big conference team might hire an Ivy coach is not unreasonable. OTOH, based on the upward trend in performance (including a win over Purdue this year) I'd be surprised if NU will be in the market for a new coach. There are plenty of others, though, that might.

That's what I was getting at -- that Northwestern hired Carmody and Oregon State hired Craig Robinson.

Date: March 08, 2010 12:11PM

Weder
peterg

That's what I was getting at -- that Northwestern hired Carmody and Oregon State hired Craig Robinson.

And it hasnt worked out well for either of them, Oregon State only hired Robinson because he is Obama's brother in law, after a good first year Oregon State really dropped off this year, and Northwestern after a good start and a lot of hype had a disappointing end of the year

Date: March 08, 2010 02:30PM

phillysportsfan
Oregon State only hired Robinson because he is Obama's brother in law...
Really? Amazing that they tried to hire three other guys - guys that they probably assumed were also related to a candidate for President - before settling for the guy who produced the best season in Brown's admittedly unimpressive history.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 03:34PM

peterg
It bears pointing out here, I think, that despite playing in the Big Ten Northwestern is hardly the archetype of a big sports school (their most successful sport is women's lacrosse; their men's basketball team has never made the NCAA tournament and their football team holds the record for the most DI-A losses) and maybe has more in common with Cornell and Penn than it does with Michigan and Ohio State. I'd be pretty surprised to see a school that fits the jock-school stereotype more closely hire an Ivy coach, though it seems fairly apparent that Donahue has opened some eyes over the past couple of years.

Date: March 08, 2010 04:21PM

ugarte
phillysportsfan
Oregon State only hired Robinson because he is Obama's brother in law...
Really? Amazing that they tried to hire three other guys - guys that they probably assumed were also related to a candidate for President - before settling for the guy who produced the best season in Brown's admittedly unimpressive history.

Exactly the three other coaches turned them down and they were desperate so they figured why not pick a guy closely related to a Presidential candidate. He was at Brown two years and got them to the CBI, that is a good accomplishment for Brown but how can you make a decision on how good a coach is from 2 years. I know Oregon State is not a great basketball school but they are still in the PAC10, no other coach could make the jump from an okay Brown team in 2 years to a PAC10 school

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 12:14PM

New York Post :-| reports St. John's will be looking to replace Norm Roberts, and that Amaker could be on their list: [www.nypost.com]

Date: March 15, 2010 04:21PM

Donahue just interviewed by Francesa on WFAN. Said he and his family really enjoy Cornell, and it would have to be an exceptional situation for him to move on to another program.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 05:19PM

scoop85
Donahue just interviewed by Francesa on WFAN. Said he and his family really enjoy Cornell, and it would have to be an exceptional situation for him to move on to another program.

Sounds like another non-answer answer on which no assumptions should be based.

Date: March 15, 2010 08:15PM

Jordan 04
scoop85

Sounds like another non-answer answer on which no assumptions should be based.
Or like what an agent would tell him to say.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:47PM

Not sure, but seeing coach with his young son yesterday makes me think that he might not be so quick to uproot. I played golf with him this fall at the RTJGC (good luck as a single on the first tee) and he talked quite a bit about how much he and his family liked Ithaca. That's certainly not dispositive, but it doesn't hurt.

Date: March 15, 2010 11:20PM

The good part is if he stays after this year, I think we got him here for the next 20 years

Posted by: YankeeLobo (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 12:24AM

If he wins a game in the tournament, he'll receive offers galore and he'll take off. Steve will always have a job in the Ivy League if things don't work out at another school -- St. John's for instance. That program is about as low as they could possibly go. They haven't been to the tournament since 2002 and haven't been considered a legit contender in more than a decade. There's no downside to taking that job, especially if Steve thinks he really has the stuff to resurrect that program -- which I might add has a proud history as the only legit college basketball team in the NYC area.

My only doubts about Donahue going to SJU is 1) the quality of life and living arrangements in Jamaica, Queens, not the most family friendly environment, especially for a white family. I suppose he could live on Long Island and commute? and 2) his recruiting experience in the NYC area. I can't recall a single player from the NYC area that Donahue has recruited (with the one exception being Jason Canady a few years ago, but he quit after one year). SJU needs to recruit from within the city if they are going to be successful, the teams that were good in the late 90s had guys from Lincoln, Rice, etc., the top basketball schools in the area. Seth Greenberg, Tommy Amaker, etc. have way more cache as recruiters than Donahue.

By the way, I'm just assuming there's going to be a job available at a Big 6 or high mid major school that can double his current salary. Maybe this is just a bad year for vacancies, in which case he won't have anywhere to go. It probably won't be SJU, but someone else will come calling guaranteed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 12:32AM by YankeeLobo.

Date: March 16, 2010 11:19AM

YankeeLobo
My only doubts about Donahue going to SJU is 1) the quality of life and living arrangements in Jamaica, Queens, not the most family friendly environment, especially for a white family.
You dink. Passing by the uncomfortable racial implications of this...

Have you ever been to the St. John's campus? No? I didn't think so. I grew up a mile from the campus and I assure you that it is family friendly. Even for white people! Ignore the town on the mailing address, put away the LL Cool J album and take a look at the actual neighborhood.

Date: March 16, 2010 11:22AM

ugarte
YankeeLobo
My only doubts about Donahue going to SJU is 1) the quality of life and living arrangements in Jamaica, Queens, not the most family friendly environment, especially for a white family.

Have you ever been to the St. John's campus? No? I didn't think so. I grew up a mile from the campus and I assure you that it is family friendly. Even for white people! Ignore the town on the mailing address, put away the LL Cool J album and take a look at the actual neighborhood.

In that case, he might leave for St John's!

Date: March 16, 2010 01:26PM

YankeeLobo
ugarte
YankeeLobo

In that case, he might leave for St John's!
Not necessarily, but you two have a good fight over it.dribble

Date: March 16, 2010 03:27PM

I would bet St Johns would hire Amaker before Donahue because of Donahue's lack of experience recruiting at that level, better chance of him going to Fordham
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 04:24PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 16, 2010 03:35PM

phillysportsfan
I would bet St Johns would fire Amaker before Donahue because of Donahue's lack of experience recruiting at that level, better chance of him going to Fordham

Freudian slip?

Date: March 16, 2010 04:24PM

Oops

Date: March 17, 2010 12:34AM

Wouldnt be surprised to see Seton Hall fire their coach after tonight blown out in the first round of the NIT, you know its gotten bad when the students start chanting We Hate Bobby! and one section yells Fire and then points to the other section to yell Bobby

[setonhall.rivals.com]

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 07:37PM

phillysportsfan
Wouldnt be surprised to see Seton Hall fire their coach after tonight blown out in the first round of the NIT, you know its gotten bad when the students start chanting We Hate Bobby! and one section yells Fire and then points to the other section to yell Bobby

[setonhall.rivals.com]

Done.

[sports.espn.go.com]

Date: March 17, 2010 08:34PM

Yeah that was a lucky prediction, that is going to be a messy situation though with their one player, Robert Mitchell who "was arrested on Tuesday and charged with entering a house in South Orange on Monday and robbing eight people at gunpoint, Essex County prosecutors said. He was charged with robbery, kidnapping and burglary. All three offenses carry 10- to 20-year maximum prison sentences."

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 08:37PM

DePaul is looking for a coach. Daily Herald

As she kicks her coaching search into high gear this week, Ponsetto wields approval from the Board of Trustees and President Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider to offer a package similar to the likes of Louisville's Rick Pitino ($2.25 million per year) and West Virginia's Bob Huggins ($20 million over 10 years).

"The trustees made a commitment that DePaul should go out and get the best coach that it possibly can," Ponsetto said. "It may be that it turns out someone will be very high on the list of paid Big East coaches."

Ponsetto wants a top-notch recruiter as well as someone with the "technical acumen" to match wits with the league's high-profile coaches such as Pitino, Huggins, Connecticut's Jim Calhoun and Syracuse's Jim Boeheim.

"Several of the people that we're looking at are currently head coaches in very successful programs," Ponsetto said. "While everybody understands and appreciates and recognizes our tradition, somebody would have to leave something really good if we get any of our top several choices."

Ponsetto indicated most, if not all, of those top choices have their teams in the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

Date: March 18, 2010 12:08AM

Whether or not they look at Donahue, I would imagine a 10x increase in salary is hard for anyone to turn down

Date: March 18, 2010 12:55AM

phillysportsfan
Whether or not they look at Donahue, I would imagine a 10x increase in salary is hard for anyone to turn down

DePaul and Oregon will be looking to reel in bigger names than Donahue for the amount of money they're willing to spend...Seton Hall or St John's are more up his alley. He'll be sitting in the college coaching poor house with only $500K annual salary.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 12:56AM by YankeeLobo.

Date: March 18, 2010 03:01AM

I dont even think Seton Hall or St Johns will consider him which are probably better jobs. I think the only job he might get consideration for his Fordham and I dont think he takes it so I think he will be here next year.

Date: March 18, 2010 10:57AM

Article from The Syracuse Post-Standard on Coach Donahue's work to bring CU up.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 09:10PM

phillysportsfan
one section yells Fire and then points to the other section to yell Bobby

Really glad nobody was that clever in 1995. :-O

Date: March 19, 2010 10:20AM

Norm Roberts fired today as St. Johns' coach.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-239-37.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 03:22PM

You don't think he's gunning for the Temple job?

Date: March 19, 2010 03:47PM

billhoward
Ha! I think Dunphy is as safe at Temple as Donahue is at Cornell.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 04:16PM

ugarte
billhoward
Ha! I think Dunphy is as safe at Temple as Donahue is at Cornell.

Dunphy has lost in the first round of the NCAA's for three years in a row. He's not going anywhere.

Donahue has done better than that, and is still not done this year. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Right now I'm most worried about the Seton Hall job. uhoh

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.newimagent.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 07:01AM

Dunphy has maintained Chaney's winning ways, and has a great reputation in Philly and the Big Five. And he's a "Philly guy." He's staying.

Date: March 20, 2010 08:13AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Dunphy has maintained Chaney's winning ways, and has a great reputation in Philly and the Big Five. And he's a "Philly guy." He's staying.
Yeah, that was my point. Losing to Cornell does not put Dunphy at risk. He's been great for Temple. He's been better than latter-years Chaney. Man, I loved watching John Chaney.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.newimagent.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 08:16AM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
Yeah, that was my point. Losing to Cornell does not put Dunphy at risk. He's been great for Temple. He's been better than latter-years Chaney. Man, I loved watching John Chaney.

Like watchinga train wreck dribble

Date: March 21, 2010 05:32PM

I think this thread deserves a bump after the win today...

Date: March 21, 2010 05:34PM

YankeeLobo
I think this thread deserves a bump after the win today...
why?

Date: March 21, 2010 05:36PM

So we can be reminded how badly the Lobos got routed?

Date: March 21, 2010 06:01PM

Jordan 04

I already acknowledged that on another thread.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 07:53PM

Jim Hyla
From the NY Times article quoted on another thread:

“What Steve has already done at Cornell is phenomenal,” Noel said. “I like to focus on what else could be done.”

Some on eLynah think poorly of Noel, as some of you know I've had my run ins with him, but he has done a fantastic job of picking coaches, and I'm sure he's going to do whatever he can to keep Donahue here.

From the post game press conference:

(Could you describe the moment afterwards going into the crowd and being with your family? I don't know who the guy was
that you hugged, I assume he was the athletic director at Cornell?)

“Yeah, that's Andy Noel, who stood by our program for the first seven, eight years when we really didn't do much (tearing up)
and had great belief in what we were doing. It doesn't happen a lot in college basketball in particular that someone sticks by a
coach for this long, and I'm very fortunate that I was able to reward him for all of his patience.”

Date: March 21, 2010 09:53PM

YankeeLobo
Jordan 04

Oh, so we shouldn't mention it incessantly for the next 2 months like a loss to Penn?

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 10:29PM

Jordan 04
YankeeLobo
Jordan 04

Oh, so we shouldn't mention it incessantly for the next 2 months like a loss to Penn?

Considering the Lobos' early flameout, maybe they should be looking for a new coach.

Seeing that it would be a step backwards for him, I highly doubt Donahue would be interested though. :-)

Date: March 22, 2010 12:06AM

jeff '84
From the post game press conference:

(Could you describe the moment afterwards going into the crowd and being with your family? I don't know who the guy was
that you hugged, I assume he was the athletic director at Cornell?)

“Yeah, that's Andy Noel, who stood by our program for the first seven, eight years when we really didn't do much (tearing up)
and had great belief in what we were doing. It doesn't happen a lot in college basketball in particular that someone sticks by a
coach for this long, and I'm very fortunate that I was able to reward him for all of his patience.”
Video of the entire post-game Cornell press conference is here: [ivybbn.com]

Worthwhile viewing just to see the emotion with which Donahue spoke the above quote.

Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login