Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Cornell football coach: Kent Austin

Posted by billhoward 
New Cornell football coach: Kent Austin
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 10:19PM

Kent Austin is Cornell's 26th football coach. Versus 12 Cornell presidents. He comes from the University of Mississippi, same as his predecessor, only Austin was the offensive coordinator. Announcement Wednesday morning, on Redcast.

While the excitement level on the forum here didn't lead anyone else to start a new thread, it got one Ithaca Journal reader psyched:

[www.theithacajournal.com] "[Reader post] Austin looks like and outstanding Head Coach choice for the Cornell football program, and Andy Noel and the Big Red athletic staff deserve high praise for successfully pursuing this exceptionally qualified candidate. Watch out Ivies, we've got a winner!!!"

The Journal story notes Austin (this is going to be tough remember if it's Kent Austin or Austin Kent) was 7-0 in championship games as a player and coach, which should stand Cornell in good stead should the Ivies ever be allowed to go to the NCAA playoffs. A paper covering Ole Miss notes Austin is probably taking a pay cut from his reported $300K. Maybe Cornell will throw in a snowblower.

I don't live or die Cornell football, but it would be nice once in the next decade (next five years?) to see Cornell win its first undisputed Ivy football champsionship. We have, what, 3 title ties to show for 5-1/2 decades of league play.

There are more important Q's to answer, such as will he sway any wavering recruits, or which assistant coaches will stay. Is anyone curious about the fate of the 5 a.m. toughness drills run by a Cornell ROTC marine pilot?

Re: New Cornell football coach: Kent Austin
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 10:43PM

billhoward
Is anyone curious about the fate of the 5 a.m. toughness drills run by a Cornell ROTC marine pilot?
I just want to know which victory song to sing after the victory bell is rung...that is, if we ever see another victory.

Date: January 27, 2010 09:22AM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Is anyone curious about the fate of the 5 a.m. toughness drills run by a Cornell ROTC marine pilot?
I just want to know which victory song to sing after the victory bell is rung...that is, if we ever see another victory.
If Cornell's motto were in Latin, it could be, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

We're so cynical. Maybe Kent Austin really is a breath of fresh air. Maybe the fickle finger of fate will don a rubber glove and move on to torment some other Ivy team. What if we all chant, "Yes, we can! This is our time."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:29AM

If Cornell's motto were in Latin, it could be, "if I could read this, I'd have gotten into Harvard." whistle

Re: New Cornell football coach: Kent Austin (first impressions)
Date: January 27, 2010 10:42AM

Kent Austin sounds like a great fit for Cornell, based on the tone of the webcast, his demeanor, his comments. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. Cornell since the mid-1990s has brought in more outstanding coaches than ones we've regretted and our overall sports program is better than most in the Ivies. (Being pissed at how Cornell runs the hockey ticket line doesn't count in the scheme of things.) He said the right words about teamwork and commitment. He talked about making Cornell football fun for the players at the same times. He talked about the players being future leaders.

I'm dying to know how much of cut he took from Ole Miss' reported $305K as an assistant (maybe they have a higher cost of living), if his smart HS senior daughter is Cornell-bound, and why Andy Noel talked so much about him being a dedicated recruiter in the wake of Mississippi papers saying it's not his strong suit. For now, a nice start. LGR.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 10:51AM

Trotsky
If Cornell's motto were in Latin, it could be, "if I could read this, I'd have gotten into Harvard." whistle
That's not Latin.

billhoward
... if his smart HS senior daughter is Cornell-bound ...
I hope not. Isn't the point of college to get away from your parents?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 10:53AM by ugarte.

Date: January 27, 2010 11:31AM

ugarte
Trotsky
That's not Latin.

billhoward
... if his smart HS senior daughter is Cornell-bound ...
I hope not. Isn't the point of college to get away from your parents?
My mother taught at the University of Rochester so I crossed that and anywhere in the city of Rochester off my list. It was also to be somewhere different from where I'd spent the first 18 years. (But to your point: For most people, of course it's to get away from your parents. I don't think Andy Iles will be a day commuter.) If Cornell covers the daughter's tuition, maybe Cornell is worth considerng. Lots of people making $200K a year find $52K for college times four years is noticeable.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 04:57PM

billhoward

I'm dying to know . . . why Andy Noel talked so much about him being a dedicated recruiter in the wake of Mississippi papers saying it's not his strong suit.
What else is Andy Noel supposed to say? If he's not a good recruiter, he's not going to say it (it also means he shouldn't have hired him -- but that's another story that only time will tell).
As much as I'd love to see us drop our football program, if we are going to have one, at least let's hope this new coach can make us respectable again. Let's hope Andy is right and the Mississippi sportswriters are wrong.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 05:18PM

dbilmes
billhoward

I'm dying to know . . . why Andy Noel talked so much about him being a dedicated recruiter in the wake of Mississippi papers saying it's not his strong suit.
What else is Andy Noel supposed to say? If he's not a good recruiter, he's not going to say it (it also means he shouldn't have hired him -- but that's another story that only time will tell).
As much as I'd love to see us drop our football program, if we are going to have one, at least let's hope this new coach can make us respectable again. Let's hope Andy is right and the Mississippi sportswriters are wrong.

I have been reading the Mississppi media and blogs, and much of it sounds like sour grapes to me. From the press confernence he sounds like a bright coach who is committed to winning an Ivy championship and without postseason play, that's the ultimate goal in football at Cornell.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 05:25PM

dbilmes
billhoward

Also, I believe that recruiting at Ole Miss & recruiting Ivy League athletes are slightly different beasts.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 27, 2010 05:42PM

RichH
dbilmes
billhoward

Also, I believe that recruiting at Ole Miss & recruiting Ivy League athletes are slightly different beasts.

Coach Austin definitely won't be recruiting against the likes of Urban Meyer, Slick Nick Saban, and Mark Richt.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 05:50PM

RichH
dbilmes
billhoward

SEC recruiting is closer to NFL teams trying to sign undrafted free agents than it is to Ivy League recruiting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 05:51PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 06:02PM

RichH
I'm hoping that as a former Academic All-American Austin will relate to kids who would look to attend an Ivy League school.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 06:07PM

Al DeFlorio
RichH
I'm hoping that as a former Academic All-American Austin will relate to kids who would look to attend an Ivy League school.

I agree Al. Maxie Baughan came to Cornell from the NFL with no college recruiting experience, yet he was able to bring a shared Ivy Championship to Cornell. I'm sure some of the staff he puts together who will be out on the road recruiting will have Ivy coaching/recruiting experience.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 07:58PM

Got to give credit to Noel for this as much as his fish/cursing policies annoy me, this seems like a really good hire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login