Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell in Top 35 in Both BBall Polls

Posted by CornellFan 
Cornell in Top 35 in Both BBall Polls
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 03:22PM

So which media members votes for Cornell?

Find out at the link...

http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2010/01/cornell-top-35-in-both-national-polls.html

Re: Cornell in Top 35 in Both BBall Polls
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 06:16PM

CornellFan

Find out at the link...

http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2010/01/cornell-top-35-in-both-national-polls.html
Thanks, I never knew all of that was public. I understand John Feinstein, but I wonder why the others.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 03:10PM

Jim Hyla
CornellFan

Find out at the link...

Thanks, I never knew all of that was public. I understand John Feinstein, but I wonder why the others.
The close loss to Kansas.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 05:35PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
CornellFan

Find out at the link...

The close loss to Kansas.
That's true, but do you really think we're a top 25 team? Not I.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 07:28PM

I dont think we are a top 25 team either but I would rather not be ranked, better to stay under the radar for the NCAA tournament. A tournament win would be a much better recruiting boast than squeezing into #25

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 07:42PM

getting a tourney will be as a result of a decent seeding.. getting into the top 25 would ensure that. if CU can get up to the 10-12 seed it has a solid shot at a first round upset..

and it needs that if its gonna be looking for a new coach, which it likely will if it does win a game or 2..

Date: January 20, 2010 08:01PM

Cornell is 15-3... with 2 of its losses coming ON THE ROAD to a pair of teams in the RPI top 5 (Kansas and Syracuse)....

Of those two losses, Cornell gave BOTH Syracuse and Kansas (in their gyms) one of their toughest 2-3 games of the season (numerous quotes from Self and Boeheim say Cornell was among their best 2-3 opponents).

Cornell does not get credit just for close losses. We have good wins too... won games on the road AT St. John's, AT Alabama, AT La Salle, At UMass, and at Drexel, while beating Vermont and Davidson in neutral settings and St. Joe's at home.

The wins were also with key injuries. The win over La Salle was without Dale AND Tyler, while we also beat Drexel and Vermont without Tyler and Groebe.

This Cornell team is definitely deserving (at this point) of Top 25 consideration. And if they run the table in the Ivy (and finish 28-3), they will be Top 25.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Date: January 20, 2010 09:44PM

CornellFan
Cornell is 15-3... with 2 of its losses coming ON THE ROAD to a pair of teams in the RPI top 5 (Kansas and Syracuse)....

Of those two losses, Cornell gave BOTH Syracuse and Kansas (in their gyms) one of their toughest 2-3 games of the season (numerous quotes from Self and Boeheim say Cornell was among their best 2-3 opponents).

Cornell does not get credit just for close losses. We have good wins too... won games on the road AT St. John's, AT Alabama, AT La Salle, At UMass, and at Drexel, while beating Vermont and Davidson in neutral settings and St. Joe's at home.

The wins were also with key injuries. The win over La Salle was without Dale AND Tyler, while we also beat Drexel and Vermont without Tyler and Groebe.

This Cornell team is definitely deserving (at this point) of Top 25 consideration. And if they run the table in the Ivy (and finish 28-3), they will be Top 25.
Of that I can agree. Doing it however?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 10:04PM

Jim Hyla
CornellFan

Maybe I have a terrible sense of the national polls, but I completely disagree. How is Cornell not at it's peak right now in the voters' minds? They've reached where they are from being in the national spotlight during a tough non-conference schedule, some good wins during that part of the schedule, and one awfully impressive close loss. I can't imagine that spending the next two months dismissing the Columbias and Yales of the world in relative obscurity is going to cause them to significantly rise in the polls.

Lastly, with conversations like these about the team, they damn well better win the league!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2010 10:56PM

Jordan 04
Jim Hyla
CornellFan

Maybe I have a terrible sense of the national polls, but I completely disagree. How is Cornell not at it's peak right now in the voters' minds? They've reached where they are from being in the national spotlight during a tough non-conference schedule, some good wins during that part of the schedule, and one awfully impressive close loss. I can't imagine that spending the next two months dismissing the Columbias and Yales of the world in relative obscurity is going to cause them to significantly rise in the polls.

Lastly, with conversations like these about the team, they damn well better win the league!
The teams currently in the 20-25 range could easily lose a few games and some of their luster, making room for Cornell.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 07:36AM

You may be right about Cornell appearing to be at its peak now with all the non-league wins and that near win over then-No. 1 Kansas. Say we lose at Harvard, we're still the same team that almost took down Kansas, but in the voters' eyes, we can't even establish superiority over a bunch of future bankers who'll probably dress like Tommy Amaker, too. OTOH it may take a while for voters to warm to the idea of an Ivy team that isn't Penn 1979 being rated that high.

Moving up the polls means two things: In somebody's mind, we have enough ability to be seeded somewhere at the tail end of the single digits and draw a first round opponent we could beat and then, with luck, win the second of the opening round. (Sure, first we have to make the tournament and second we have to win one game.) And also it means we can talk years from now about that awesome Cornell team that made in into the top 20 or top 25.

Date: January 21, 2010 08:34AM

Jim Hyla
CornellFan

Why not? Cornell did it 07-08 with a younger and less talented roster. Cornell just has to take one game at a time. And should Cornell slip up once and finish 13-1 in the Ivy and 27-4 overall... still a good case would be made for Top 25 consideration.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 21, 2010 09:54AM

CornellFan
Why not? Cornell did it 07-08 with a younger and less talented roster. Cornell just has to take one game at a time. And should Cornell slip up once and finish 13-1 in the Ivy and 27-4 overall... still a good case would be made for Top 25 consideration.
If it's difficult to imagine Cornell running up a 14-0 record, it's no easier to imagine another Ivy squad doing it.

Enjoy the season and let the bracketology fall where it may.

Date: January 21, 2010 01:12PM

CornellFan
Jim Hyla
CornellFan

And leaner competition. This year's Harvard team is probably better than any 07-08 team BUT Cornell - and last year's 'more talented' Cornell team managed to lose 3 Ivy games to a conference that was otherwise pretty across-the-board bleh.

That said, if Cornell runs the table, they will definitely be a top 25 team. Princeton and Penn's top squads in the 90's received enough votes to make the top 25 and I don't think Cornell will be any different. Even though the end of the NC schedule means that there will be a dropoff in the quality of opponent, 20-3 just LOOKS nicer than 14-3. Cornell is already receiving some notice. Those voters will inch Cornell up the rankings and others will get on the bandwagon. In effect, Cornell will climb in the polls at the same time it is getting punished by the computers for the exact same thing: beating Penn.

Posted by: Weder (---.131.54.159.gannett.com)
Date: January 21, 2010 06:21PM

ugarte
CornellFan
Jim Hyla
CornellFan

And leaner competition. This year's Harvard team is probably better than any 07-08 team BUT Cornell - and last year's 'more talented' Cornell team managed to lose 3 Ivy games to a conference that was otherwise pretty across-the-board bleh.

That said, if Cornell runs the table, they will definitely be a top 25 team. Princeton and Penn's top squads in the 90's received enough votes to make the top 25 and I don't think Cornell will be any different. Even though the end of the NC schedule means that there will be a dropoff in the quality of opponent, 20-3 just LOOKS nicer than 14-3. Cornell is already receiving some notice. Those voters will inch Cornell up the rankings and others will get on the bandwagon. In effect, Cornell will climb in the polls at the same time it is getting punished by the computers for the exact same thing: beating Penn.

The '97-'98 Princeton team got a big boost from a couple of big wins at the start of the season, but they managed to keep moving up in the polls during the Ivy schedule. Wound up with a top-10 ranking and a No. 5 seed.

Date: January 21, 2010 07:30PM

Trotsky
CornellFan
If it's difficult to imagine Cornell running up a 14-0 record, it's no easier to imagine another Ivy squad doing it.

Enjoy the season and let the bracketology fall where it may.

Last season's team was killed with injuries... Dale played the entire season on a bad hamstring while Tyler missed considerable time as well. We are still battling the same injuries, but have played better because of added depth--- thanks to the transfers (Coury/Groebe) and the emergence of the underclassmen such as Wrobo, Peck and Wire.

Date: January 21, 2010 07:31PM

They finished No. 8 and played a 7 man rotation. Very little depth, tons of talent in the top 5.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:07AM

For those wondering about RPI and the strength of Cornell's losses, Seton Hall has just beaten Louisville and #11 Pitt back-to-back. Seton Hall, Syracuse, Kansas. There aren't a lot of teams who wouldn't have losses in those three games.

Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: January 25, 2010 01:48PM

Cornell ranked even with New Mexico (a VERY good team) in the latest ESPN/USA Today polls. Quite a ways from #25 in the AP Poll, which is the only legit CBB poll.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 02:52PM

YankeeLobo
Cornell ranked even with New Mexico (a VERY good team) in the latest ESPN/USA Today polls. Quite a ways from #25 in the AP Poll, which is the only legit CBB poll.
Why is the ESPN/USA Today poll not "legit"? I didn't think the committee used polls for basketball, meaning there shouldn't be a question of legitimacy.

Date: January 25, 2010 03:09PM

KeithK
YankeeLobo
Why is the ESPN/USA Today poll not "legit"? I didn't think the committee used polls for basketball, meaning there shouldn't be a question of legitimacy.

By "legit" I mean a poll where the pollsters pay attention to each week's action and fill out their rankings based on that. The AP Poll is done by writers, the ESPN poll is a coaches poll and they rarely put in any effort when they fill out their rankings.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 03:45PM

You may be overestimating the effort the writers put in. whistle

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 03:58PM

Trotsky
You may be overestimating the effort the writers put in. whistle
It's probably very hard for anybody to really have a good handle on every team in Division I basketball, or even the top 25%. I would agree that a writer probably has more time to research other teams than a coach. But much of tha ranking will be superficial in any of the polls.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 04:12PM

The ESPN Bracketology has us as a #10 seed against Northern Iowa, I wouldn't mind that matchup.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: January 25, 2010 05:14PM

If we run the table, getting a #10 seed is a very likely outcome. I wouldn't hope for any seed higher than that because if we win the 8 vs. 9 game, in all likelihood we play the #1 seed in the 2nd round.

Date: January 25, 2010 05:26PM

YankeeLobo
If we run the table, getting a #10 seed is a very likely outcome. I wouldn't hope for any seed higher than that because if we win the 8 vs. 9 game, in all likelihood we play the #1 seed in the 2nd round.
I'll still take the better shot at a first round win since the 2 seed we likely face if we win a 10-7 game is probably to rough us up.

Date: January 26, 2010 08:37AM

YankeeLobo
Did the Carril Princeton teams get as high as a 10 seed?

Date: January 26, 2010 09:04AM

ugarte
YankeeLobo
I'll still take the better shot at a first round win since the 2 seed we likely face if we win a 10-7 game is probably to rough us up.

Princeton got a 5 seed and beat 12 seed UNLV.

Posted by: Robb (---.2-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: January 26, 2010 09:06AM

Trotsky
YankeeLobo
8 seed in 1991 (lost to 9-seed Villanova)

5(!) seed in 1998 (lost to 4-seed Mich State in 2nd round), but that was after Carril left.

Date: January 26, 2010 11:21AM

Robb
Trotsky
YankeeLobo
By one point, and the baseline pick play WORKED and should have gotten them a shot to win the game on the free throw line. And that wasn't nearly as egregious a no-call as the swallowed whistle when Mourning fouled Mueller on a last second three that would have given the 1989 team a shot to beat #1 seed Georgetown.

Date: January 26, 2010 01:49PM

ugarte
Robb
Trotsky
YankeeLobo
By one point, and the baseline pick play WORKED and should have gotten them a shot to win the game on the free throw line. And that wasn't nearly as egregious a no-call as the swallowed whistle when Mourning fouled Mueller on a last second three that would have given the 1989 team a shot to beat #1 seed Georgetown.
And that's one reason why I can't get that interested in basketball. As bad as the no call was on the winning UND goal, basketball has that kind of problem on every close game. Too many chances for a foul to be called or not.

Date: January 26, 2010 03:51PM

Jim Hyla
And that's one reason why I can't get that interested in basketball. As bad as the no call was on the winning UND goal, basketball has that kind of problem on every close game. Too many chances for a foul to be called or not.
College basketball would be fine if in the final 2 minutes foul shots were automatic and there were no timeouts. The NBA turned into music video for crackheads 20 years ago and is beyond any hope.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 01:08PM

Up to 27th in today's AP Poll:

AP Top 25
1. Kansas (54) 20-1 1,605
2. Villanova (4) 19-1 1,534
3. Syracuse (6) 21-1 1,506
4. Kentucky (1) 20-1 1,460
5. Michigan State 19-3 1,367
6. West Virginia 17-3 1,230
7. Georgetown 16-4 1,204
8. Purdue 18-3 1,182
9. Texas 18-3 1,069
10. Kansas State 17-4 1,025
10. Duke 17-4 1,025
12. Brigham Young 21-2 748
13. Ohio State 16-6 677
14. Tennessee 16-4 655
15. New Mexico 20-3 636
16. Wisconsin 16-5 585
17. Gonzaga 17-4 541
18. Vanderbilt 16-4 502
19. Temple 18-4 495
20. Baylor 16-4 461
21. Georgia Tech 16-5 459
22. Pittsburgh 16-5 278
23. Butler 18-4 216
24. Northern Iowa 19-2 193
25. Mississippi 16-5 132

Others Receiving Votes
Florida State 77, Cornell 39, UAB 32, Wake Forest 31, Xavier 31, Siena 19.

Dropped From Rankings
Connecticut 19, UAB 25.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 01:21PM

Killer

Others Receiving Votes

Dropped From Rankings
Connecticut 19, UAB 25.

I need to print this out for my UConn-loving office.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2010 01:34PM

#25 in the USAToday/ESPN poll: [www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 01, 2010 01:44PM

Too bad. Puts a nice big target on your back.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (140.239.101.---)
Date: February 01, 2010 01:49PM

YEA RED!

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 01, 2010 01:58PM

RichH
Killer

Others Receiving Votes

Dropped From Rankings
Connecticut 19, UAB 25.

I need to print this out for my UConn-loving office.

Yeah who would have thought Cornell ever would be ranked higher than UConn and UNC

Date: February 01, 2010 02:03PM

Jordan 04
Unlike back-to-back conference titles and a 36 point beatdown on the presumed top competition.

I think Cornell was the game other Ivies were already circling on their calendars.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 01, 2010 02:35PM

ugarte
Jordan 04
Unlike back-to-back conference titles and a 36 point beatdown on the presumed top competition.

I think Cornell was the game other Ivies were already circling on their calendars.

I'm thinking more about the tournament than the Ivy League schedule. Obviously every is gunning for us in league play.

But come the first round in March, it's a lot easier for a coach to get their team focused on a nationally ranked team that everyone and their mother will be picking as an upset favorite in the first round that it would be for "that team that got the Ivy League autobid."

Date: February 01, 2010 02:56PM

Jordan 04
ugarte
Jordan 04

I'm thinking more about the tournament than the Ivy League schedule. Obviously every is gunning for us in league play.

But come the first round in March, it's a lot easier for a coach to get their team focused on a nationally ranked team that everyone and their mother will be picking as an upset favorite in the first round that it would be for "that team that got the Ivy League autobid."
Everyone is gunning for everyone in the tournament. You lose, you go home. All other motivators are just bullshit to pad out articles about the team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login