Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

France's Fifth Down

Posted by Jim Hyla 
France's Fifth Down
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2009 06:22PM

Poll
Should France admit wrong and replay?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
42 votes were received.
Yes 29

69%
No 13

31%

All over soccer fans are talking about the way France beat Ireland on a hand pass.

See here. I think it's time for France to pull a fifth down and ask for a replay, otherwise can you imagine the fans at the World Cup?cussorflipd

Re: France's Fifth Down
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 19, 2009 07:21PM

How about a third choice: "Who cares, it's only soccer". :-P

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2009 07:52PM

It sucks that they qualified on a blown call, and I would much rather see Ireland in the World Cup than France, but those are the breaks. It's not like the refs misinterpred the rules.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 19, 2009 08:04PM

jtwcornell91
It sucks that they qualified on a blown call, and I would much rather see Ireland in the World Cup than France, but those are the breaks. It's not like the refs misinterpreted the rules.
FYP
That's true, but neither did the officials with us misinterpret the rules. They forgot to change the down. They missed a play and we admitted it. France could do the same.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:52PM

It's holding the door for the person who is that awkward number of extra strides away: you're not morally obligated, but it reflects well on you if you do it.

(Categorical imperatives are for the birds.)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 10:06PM

I don't know about a replay; they should probably go right to a shootout - give Ireland credit for getting to the crapshoot stage and let the crapshoot begin.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 20, 2009 11:35AM

KeithK
There's a wrestling discussion going on in one of the other threads and you're saying this about the World Cup? wtf

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 20, 2009 11:35AM

Josh '99
KeithK
There's a wrestling discussion going on in one of the other threads and you're saying this about the World Cup? wtf
CORNELL Wrestling, you infidel.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 20, 2009 11:35PM

Josh '99
KeithK

Unfortunately, the answer to your rhetorical question is
"More people than all of the fans that will ever care about Cornell Hockey from the Big Bang until the heat death of the universe."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 02:12AM by Roy 82.

Posted by: Swampy (12.159.136.---)
Date: November 21, 2009 11:22PM

ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK
But in the context of a "fifth down," it is very apropos Cornell. D'ya think France will have as much class as we did?cheer

Date: November 21, 2009 11:40PM

Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK
But in the context of a "fifth down," it is very apropos Cornell. D'ya think France will have as much class as we did?cheer
Well, the player who did the hand touch has already said they should.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 12:08AM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

After they decided they wouldn't of course.

Date: November 22, 2009 12:44AM

Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

Have you heard anything from France? All I've heard was that the governing body said they cannot set aside the game, since refs mistakes can't be overturned. But France could still say they won't except the victory, and won't go on in the World Cup. With that, they Soccer Assoc. might have to give in.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 09:49AM

Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

Have you heard anything from France? All I've heard was that the governing body said they cannot set aside the game, since refs mistakes can't be overturned. But France could still say they won't except the victory, and won't go on in the World Cup. With that, they Soccer Assoc. might have to give in.
I think people are coming down awfully hard on France here simply because it's trendy to bash on France. They're not the first team to benefit from an officiating error and they won't be the last, theirs just happens to have been in a high-importance situation. You can't go back and allow a replay now, when you wouldn't in countless other situations, simply because of in what match, and when in the match, this occurred.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 01:18PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

I think people are coming down awfully hard on France here simply because it's trendy to bash on France. They're not the first team to benefit from an officiating error and they won't be the last, theirs just happens to have been in a high-importance situation. You can't go back and allow a replay now, when you wouldn't in countless other situations, simply because of in what match, and when in the match, this occurred.
And why, perchance, can't you allow a replay. The player who did it thinks they should, if the country said they wouldn't accept the outcome and wouldn't play on, then what. I don't like these, you can't because that's the rule. This is not a court of law, it's a game for heaven's sake, no one's going to jail. If both sides want to replay, I'm sure it could be worked out. Now the French Football Assoc. may not want to, but that's a different idea.

Date: November 23, 2009 02:38PM

Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK
So I saw something to the effect that Henry told the ref it was a handball. Any idea when this was? If he told him after the game, there's nothing they can realistically do, but if he told him immediately, the ref could have reversed the call.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 03:43PM

Josh '99
I think people are coming down awfully hard on France here simply because it's trendy to bash on France. They're not the first team to benefit from an officiating error and they won't be the last, theirs just happens to have been in a high-importance situation.

It's more than just France and the handball(s). There was already the sense the european playoffs were loaded in favor of the big guys. A last minute change, led to the seeding of the top four teams. As a result, the Irish were guaranteed a playoff meeting with France, Russia, Greece, or Portugal instead of having the chance to meet Slovenia, Bosnia, or Ukraine. The teams were already seeded for the group stage, so the double seeding makes it even more difficult for a lesser nation that fails to win its group to advance through the playoffs.

So with the backdrop of "FIFA really wants the big draws like France to qualify for South Africa" the way the Irish were denied is particularly painful. It was also their only loss in all of qualifying. The handball just capped it off and played into the conspiracy theories.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 04:35PM

Chris '03
So with the backdrop of "FIFA really wants the big draws like France to qualify for South Africa" the way the Irish were denied is particularly painful. It was also their only loss in all of qualifying. The handball just capped it off and played into the conspiracy theories.

I thought the handball goal tied the match at 1.

Date: November 23, 2009 04:46PM

RichH
Chris '03

I thought the handball goal tied the match at 1.

Yes, but it gave France the 2-1 advantage in the aggregate. (Two-game total goals series, in hockey terminology. The only reason they were playing OT was that after the end of two games, each team had scored one goal, at the other team's home field.)

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: November 23, 2009 05:24PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

And why, perchance, can't you allow a replay. The player who did it thinks they should, if the country said they wouldn't accept the outcome and wouldn't play on, then what. I don't like these, you can't because that's the rule. This is not a court of law, it's a game for heaven's sake, no one's going to jail. If both sides want to replay, I'm sure it could be worked out. Now the French Football Assoc. may not want to, but that's a different idea.

The issue need not be up to the refs. As hard as it may be to believe, once upon a time Cornell football had a winning streak of eighteen consecutive games and was a sure bet for the national championship if the team remained undefeated. According to the refs, they did beat Dartmouth on Nov. 16, 1940, almost 69 years to the day before France tied Ireland. However, unlike France, after Cornell became aware of the refs' error, Cornell contacted Dartmouth and offered to forfeit the game. Dartmouth accepted, thereby extending our drought without a NC in football indefinitely. See http://cornellsun.com/node/26006 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_%281940%29.

Date: November 23, 2009 05:25PM

jtwcornell91
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK
So I saw something to the effect that Henry told the ref it was a handball. Any idea when this was? If he told him after the game, there's nothing they can realistically do, but if he told him immediately, the ref could have reversed the call.
It was after. I don't blame the refs, they need more officials in soccer. But France could still decline.

Date: November 23, 2009 05:28PM

Swampy
Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

The issue need not be up to the refs. As hard as it may be to believe, once upon a time Cornell football had a winning streak of eighteen consecutive games and was a sure bet for the national championship if the team remained undefeated. According to the refs, they did beat Dartmouth on Nov. 16, 1940, almost 69 years to the day before France tied Ireland. However, unlike France, after Cornell became aware of the refs' error, Cornell contacted Dartmouth and offered to forfeit the game. Dartmouth accepted, thereby extending our drought without a NC in football indefinitely. See http://cornellsun.com/node/26006 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_%281940%29.
Uh, that's why this Thread is called France's Fifth Down.

Date: November 23, 2009 05:59PM

Jim Hyla
Swampy
Uh, that's why this Thread is called France's Fifth Down.
The same thing happened to Colorado back in 1990. The Buffalos did not choose to forfeit and as a result shared the national title that year. Decide for yourself who did the right thing.

Date: November 23, 2009 06:38PM

Chris '03
Josh '99
I think people are coming down awfully hard on France here simply because it's trendy to bash on France. They're not the first team to benefit from an officiating error and they won't be the last, theirs just happens to have been in a high-importance situation.

It's more than just France and the handball(s). There was already the sense the european playoffs were loaded in favor of the big guys. A last minute change, led to the seeding of the top four teams. As a result, the Irish were guaranteed a playoff meeting with France, Russia, Greece, or Portugal instead of having the chance to meet Slovenia, Bosnia, or Ukraine. The teams were already seeded for the group stage, so the double seeding makes it even more difficult for a lesser nation that fails to win its group to advance through the playoffs.

Granted, UEFA's double-seeding (comparable to reseeding in the NHL playoffs, I suppose) does favor the big draws, and personally I'd prefer it if it were a random draw among the 8 teams. But favoring higher-ranked teams is a legitimate seeding policy, and one that's hardly unique to FIFA and UEFA, albeit a non-egalitarian one. I can understand why it plays into conspiracy theories, but I think it's a tenuous connection that people are making because it's what they want to see.

Date: November 23, 2009 06:58PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

Well, right, Henry said they should have a replay *after* FAI's request for a replay was denied. It was lip service, no more.

To clarify, I don't mean that, strictly procedurally speaking, you CAN NOT allow a replay. What I mean is, it sets a precedent that makes it hard to define when you should make some sort of a concession and when you shouldn't.

Here's the example I've been using: The English club team I root for had a match two years ago where they were trailing by a goal late in the match, and apparently scored a tying goal. I say "apparently" because the referee and the linesman ruled that the ball had not gone into the goal, even though it clearly was; as you can see in this picture, the player's foot is about on the goal line, the ball is about a foot past it, and the goalkeeper is just getting to the ball:

It was so clearly an erroneous decision that the official who bungled the call was suspended for a week. The team didn't score a goal that counted, and they lost the match, but because the match took place in August, all the way at the beginning of the season, the lost point was largely forgotten for the time being. However, fast forward eight months, and the team almost gets relegated, eventually barely surviving by the skin of their teeth. (Getting relegated from the top flight in English soccer involves a massive financial hit that is, I think, at least somewhat comparable to missing out on qualifying for the World Cup.) As it turned out, they did stay up, and it was a moot point, but if things had fallen even slightly differently, that point could've made a massive difference, and, therefore, the bungled call could've made a massive difference. But nobody would retroactively suggest that the match should be replayed, because it happened so much earlier. I just don't think it makes sense to treat the France decision differently from this missed goal call because it happened at the end of the qualifying process rather than at the beginning.

I'd also add that the Fifth Down analogy isn't exactly right, because handball is necessarily a judgment call, whereas a fifth down is a mistake of rule. In legal terminology, it's the difference between errors of fact and errors of law, and FIFA's precedent is that errors of fact aren't reversible in this sort of situation, whereas an error in applying the rules can be.

(Sorry for the rambling.)

Date: November 23, 2009 08:19PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

Well, right, Henry said they should have a replay *after* FAI's request for a replay was denied. It was lip service, no more.

To clarify, I don't mean that, strictly procedurally speaking, you CAN NOT allow a replay. What I mean is, it sets a precedent that makes it hard to define when you should make some sort of a concession and when you shouldn't.

(Edited out some.)

I'd also add that the Fifth Down analogy isn't exactly right, because handball is necessarily a judgment call, whereas a fifth down is a mistake of rule. In legal terminology, it's the difference between errors of fact and errors of law, and FIFA's precedent is that errors of fact aren't reversible in this sort of situation, whereas an error in applying the rules can be.

I agree with what you're saying, except:

I've said from the start that it was up to France to say they wanted a replay. I've not asked the officials to change the game. That takes it away from precedent and everything else that people have complained about.

In fact it's exactly like the fifth down game. The officials didn't change the game. The game was over and CU won. We changed it when we realized it was wrong. Likewise France could admit the error, that's where the player comes in, he admitted it and to my point it doesn't matter when he admitted it. We admitted the game was in error after it was over, we then took responsibility and said no. France has exactly the same options, say it was wrong and refuse to accept the victory. It has nothing to do with the officials on or off the field. It's all up to France.

Date: November 23, 2009 09:58PM

Josh '99
Chris '03
Josh '99

Granted, UEFA's double-seeding (comparable to reseeding in the NHL playoffs, I suppose) does favor the big draws, and personally I'd prefer it if it were a random draw among the 8 teams. But favoring higher-ranked teams is a legitimate seeding policy, and one that's hardly unique to FIFA and UEFA, albeit a non-egalitarian one. I can understand why it plays into conspiracy theories, but I think it's a tenuous connection that people are making because it's what they want to see.
The problem is not that the playoff was seeded, but that it was originally not supposed to be, and they changed the rules in the middle of the qualification process.

Date: November 23, 2009 10:03PM

Jim Hyla
I've said from the start that it was up to France to say they wanted a replay. I've not asked the officials to change the game. That takes it away from precedent and everything else that people have complained about.

In fact it's exactly like the fifth down game. The officials didn't change the game. The game was over and CU won. We changed it when we realized it was wrong. Likewise France could admit the error, that's where the player comes in, he admitted it and to my point it doesn't matter when he admitted it. We admitted the game was in error after it was over, we then took responsibility and said no. France has exactly the same options, say it was wrong and refuse to accept the victory. It has nothing to do with the officials on or off the field. It's all up to France.

But France doesn't really have the authority to schedule a replay. The closest they could do would be to host Ireland in a hastily-scheduled friendly, and then based on the outcome of that, withdraw from the World Cup. (And in fact, it would probably be against the rules for them to play extra time if the friendly ended with another 0-1 full time result.)

Date: November 23, 2009 10:07PM

Josh '99

Which is I guess what FIFA did a couple of years ago with Uzbekistan and Bahrain, although that also seemed kind of fishy. I like the baseball approach: if you think the umpire mis-applied the rules, file a protest immediately, and if it's upheld, the game is resumed from that point. (And, obviously, if you win anyway you withdraw the protest.)

Date: November 23, 2009 11:13PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Jacob '06
Jim Hyla
Swampy
ugarte
Josh '99
KeithK

(Edited out some.)

OK, but if France should admit that error and ask for a replay because of it, why shouldn't every team that's ever benefited from an officiating error do the same? If a player on Cornell's hockey team checks an opponent into the boards from behind and the opponent gets hurt and has to come out of the game, but no official saw it and there's no penalty called, should he go to the ref and tell him what happened and volunteer to take a 5+game penalty? What if, instead of a CFB, it's an unseen hook that prevents a 2-on-1? Or, going in another direction, what if the exact same thing had happened in the France-Ireland game, but instead of deep in extra time it happened in the first five minutes of the game? What if it happened in the first leg? What if it happened in an earlier stage of qualifying? All of these errors can have far-reaching effects, and I just don't see why France should have a burden to come forward and ask to (in effect) have the error undone if that burden doesn't apply equally in, literally, countless other situations.

Date: November 23, 2009 11:13PM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99

Which is I guess what FIFA did a couple of years ago with Uzbekistan and Bahrain, although that also seemed kind of fishy. I like the baseball approach: if you think the umpire mis-applied the rules, file a protest immediately, and if it's upheld, the game is resumed from that point. (And, obviously, if you win anyway you withdraw the protest.)
That was the type of error I'm talking about, yes.

Date: November 23, 2009 11:14PM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
Chris '03
Josh '99

The problem is not that the playoff was seeded, but that it was originally not supposed to be, and they changed the rules in the middle of the qualification process.
Well that's shady. You shouldn't change the rules in the middle of the game.

Date: November 24, 2009 02:29AM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla

OK, but if France should admit that error and ask for a replay because of it, why shouldn't every team that's ever benefited from an officiating error do the same? If a player on Cornell's hockey team checks an opponent into the boards from behind and the opponent gets hurt and has to come out of the game, but no official saw it and there's no penalty called, should he go to the ref and tell him what happened and volunteer to take a 5+game penalty? What if, instead of a CFB, it's an unseen hook that prevents a 2-on-1? Or, going in another direction, what if the exact same thing had happened in the France-Ireland game, but instead of deep in extra time it happened in the first five minutes of the game? What if it happened in the first leg? What if it happened in an earlier stage of qualifying? All of these errors can have far-reaching effects, and I just don't see why France should have a burden to come forward and ask to (in effect) have the error undone if that burden doesn't apply equally in, literally, countless other situations.
Of course you can always come up with examples. The CFB and hook are judgment calls, this was not. You cannot touch the ball. And the missed call was directly responsible for the win.

Now you can argue that we should not have turned ourselves in, but cheered the next week about our wonderful win over Dartmouth. However, personally I'm very happy and proud that that they decided to turn themselves in. After all, it has lead to countless discussions like this. And discussions about ethics are useful.

Argue all you want, but I'll still say that we did it because it was the right thing to do.

Posted by: Robb (---.203-62.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 24, 2009 04:13AM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

Of course you can always come up with examples. The CFB and hook are judgment calls, this was not. You cannot touch the ball. And the missed call was directly responsible for the win.

Now you can argue that we should not have turned ourselves in, but cheered the next week about our wonderful win over Dartmouth. However, personally I'm very happy and proud that that they decided to turn themselves in. After all, it has lead to countless discussions like this. And discussions about ethics are useful.

Argue all you want, but I'll still say that we did it because it was the right thing to do.

The bolded part is not true. If the ball touches your hand but it was unintentional, it's not a foul.

From FIFA's Laws of the Game:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact
with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following
into consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards
the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected
ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is
an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,
shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts
as an infringement

So there is a judgement call to be made - it's not a black-and-white rule. Now, in this particular situation, if you had 100 FIFA referees watch the replays from all the angles and in slow motion, probably 99 of them would agree that it was a handball. So there are 3 choices that I see:

1. The ref deliberately let France cheat to win (he saw it, thought it was a hand ball, but chose not to call it).
2. The ref saw it, but was the 1 in 100 refs who didn't think it was a handball.
3. The ref didn't see it.

Occam's razor picks #3 every time and twice on Sundays.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 04:14AM by Robb.

Date: November 24, 2009 07:33AM

Robb
Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

The bolded part is not true. If the ball touches your hand but it was unintentional, it's not a foul.

into consideration:
the hand)
ball)
an infringement
as an infringement

So there is a judgement call to be made - it's not a black-and-white rule. Now, in this particular situation, if you had 100 FIFA referees watch the replays from all the angles and in slow motion, probably 99 of them would agree that it was a handball. So there are 3 choices that I see:

1. The ref deliberately let France cheat to win (he saw it, thought it was a hand ball, but chose not to call it).
2. The ref saw it, but was the 1 in 100 refs who didn't think it was a handball.

Of course you're correct. But he admitted it was a handball and the ref was likely blocked from seeing it well. That however, doesn't change anything about what to do now.

Posted by: Robb (---.203-62.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:37AM

Jim Hyla
Robb
Jim Hyla
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

into consideration:
the hand)
ball)
an infringement
as an infringement

Of course you're correct. But he admitted it was a handball and the ref was likely blocked from seeing it well. That however, doesn't change anything about what to do now.
And of course, you're correct about that.

Date: November 24, 2009 01:26PM

Robb
Jim Hyla
Of course you're correct. ... That however, doesn't change anything about what to do now.
And of course, you're correct about that.
And I suspect we've probably beaten this to deathdeadhorse, but if so, it was fun doing it.drunkSo I think I'm bolt

Date: November 24, 2009 02:50PM

Jim Hyla
Robb already addressed the point about handball, so I won't say any more about it. I'd add, though, that I think my example illustrates that all kinds of things can be "directly responsible" for a given result, not just the ones that occur right at the end of the process leading to the result. What if the CFB occurs when Cornell is on a power play, which would be negated by the penalty if it were to be called, and then Cornell scores a PPG and wins the game, couldn't that be said to be directly responsible? My point is that there are all tons and tons of plays in a game that contribute to the eventual outcome, and there isn't really a cut-and-dried line between errors that are directly responsible for changing a result and errors that aren't, and might therefore be seen to be somehow less significant.

Date: November 24, 2009 03:20PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Robb already addressed the point about handball, so I won't say any more about it. I'd add, though, that I think my example illustrates that all kinds of things can be "directly responsible" for a given result, not just the ones that occur right at the end of the process leading to the result. What if the CFB occurs when Cornell is on a power play, which would be negated by the penalty if it were to be called, and then Cornell scores a PPG and wins the game, couldn't that be said to be directly responsible? My point is that there are all tons and tons of plays in a game that contribute to the eventual outcome, and there isn't really a cut-and-dried line between errors that are directly responsible for changing a result and errors that aren't, and might therefore be seen to be somehow less significant.
The problem with all of your examples can probably be summed up by crudely invoking the butterfly effect. In all of those cases there was enough time, in a sense, for good to triumph over evil. At the very least, it is damn near impossible to say what "would have" happened if the correct call was made.

In this case (and in the two fifth down games) because the bad call happened so close to the end of the game, you can say with some degree of certainly that no matter what other mistakes may have been made earlier in the game (or season or series), THIS mistake was made at a crucial, observable time and was - indisputably both wrong and a turning point.

I don't claim that making an exception for a case like this doesn't present line drawing problems or lead to other kinds of slippery-slope problems but the reason the reaction to this is so visceral for so many is because there isn't any sense of "what if" - it is clear that the missed call resulted in an unjust result.

Date: November 24, 2009 03:21PM

ugarte
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
The problem with all of your examples can probably be summed up by crudely invoking the butterfly effect. In all of those cases there was enough time, in a sense, for good to triumph over evil. At the very least, it is damn near impossible to say what "would have" happened if the correct call was made. The "no-goal" on Hynes against UNH the most personally galling of those blown calls, of course.

In this case (and in the two fifth down games) because the bad call happened so close to the end of the game, you can say with some degree of certainly that no matter what other mistakes may have been made earlier in the game (or season or series), THIS mistake was made at a crucial, observable time and was - indisputably both wrong and a turning point.

I don't claim that making an exception for a case like this doesn't present line drawing problems or lead to other kinds of slippery-slope problems but the reason the reaction to this is so visceral for so many is because there isn't any sense of "what if" - it is clear that the missed call resulted in an unjust result.

Date: November 24, 2009 04:43PM

ugarte
The problem with all of your examples can probably be summed up by crudely invoking the butterfly effect. In all of those cases there was enough time, in a sense, for good to triumph over evil. At the very least, it is damn near impossible to say what "would have" happened if the correct call was made.
But in the Cornell-Dartmouth contest good did triumph over evil because of the mistake. By forfeiting we allowed evil to reign supreme!

(Well, I guess Dartmouth isn't quite as evil as Harvard. But still.)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 04:58PM

The draw for the 2010 World Cup was today. The US ended up in Group C with England, Algeria and Slovenia. France probably got the best draw by ending up in Group A with South Africa, Mexico, and Uruguay.

The 32 teams were split into four groups of eight. One team from each group was then drawn to make eight groups of four. The first pool was made up of the top seven FIFA ranked teams plus host South Africa - currently ranked 86th. The other three pools were organized by geography so as to keep countries from the same region (other than Europe) from playing each other during group play. The Asian and North and Central American countries went into the second pot. The African and South American countries went into the third pot. And the unseeded European countries went into the fourth pot. France was unseeded and thus ducked playing a top seven team during pool play.

Re: France's Fifth Down - USA's decent seeding
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 11:07AM

nyc94
The draw for the 2010 World Cup was today. The US ended up in Group C with England, Algeria and Slovenia. France probably got the best draw by ending up in Group A with South Africa, Mexico, and Uruguay. The 32 teams were split into four groups of eight. One team from each group was then drawn to make eight groups of four. The first pool was made up of the top seven FIFA ranked teams plus host South Africa - currently ranked 86th. The other three pools were organized by geography so as to keep countries from the same region (other than Europe) from playing each other during group play. The Asian and North and Central American countries went into the second pot. The African and South American countries went into the third pot. And the unseeded European countries went into the fourth pot. France was unseeded and thus ducked playing a top seven team during pool play.
... so might get past the first round before the rude awakening.

Re: France's Fifth Down - USA's decent seeding
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 06, 2009 11:33AM

billhoward
... so might get past the first round before the rude awakening.

The Group C winner plays the Group D runner up and vice versa so the likely worst case scenario (other than not advancing) is a meeting with Germany.

Also, during the dress rehearsal for the draw Charlize Theron drew an Ireland ball.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2009 11:37AM by nyc94.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login