Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at Penn football pre-game

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell at Penn football pre-game
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 12:17PM

Depressing. I've almost never missed a Cornell football game at Princeton or Penn. The ones I missed, I couldn't go, rather than didn't want to go. If I go this year, I get to see Cornell possibly extend its losing streak to eight and go 1-7 [edit: 1-6] in the Ivy League. Tailgating isn't half as nice as at Yale or Princeton. As with Yale Bowl, the stadium's 50-000-plus seats are a reminder that the Ivies' glory days are long, long past. The weather usually is bitterly cold, except this year the forecast calls for high 50s. Maybe that's enough. The only bright spot: If Penn wins, then Harvard doesn't win the Ivy title - which could also happen if Yale takes down Harvard and we overcome Penn (right). Well, we've still got wrestling, hockey, basketball, and lacrosse. Is anybody going? I made it to 3 football games already although it went downhill after the first one, with the awesome tailgating at Yale and the dramatic victory when our drill instructor-inspired D held off that Yale 2-point conversion at the end. I hope next year turns out better. I feel sorry for the players.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 01:25PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell at Penn football pre-game
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:00PM

billhoward
extend its losing streak to eight and go 1-7 in the Ivy League.

Worst we could do is 1-6 unless you're counting the loss to Colgate who as we all know was invited to join the Ivy League but turned it down.

Date: November 17, 2009 01:24PM

You're right. We can't play ourselves, which would be one way to halt - or extend? - the streak.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2009 02:36PM

billhoward
The only bright spot: If Penn wins, then Harvard doesn't win the Ivy title

You say that like Penn winning the Ivy title is not a horrible thing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 02:39PM

jtwcornell91
billhoward

It is a horrible thing but we can get our revenge through the basketball team especially since that is Penn's sport.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 05:57PM

phillysportsfan
jtwcornell91
billhoward

It is a horrible thing but we can get our revenge through the basketball team especially since that is Penn's sport.
But so is football.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 06:04PM

Josh '99
phillysportsfan
jtwcornell91
billhoward

But so is football.
Penn has an actual reputation in basketball outside of the Ivy League. Not that they are North Carolina or anything, but winning the Ivy football title isn't exactly the same thing as making the Sweet 16.

Date: November 17, 2009 07:06PM

ugarte
Josh '99
phillysportsfan
jtwcornell91
billhoward

But so is football.
Penn has an actual reputation in basketball outside of the Ivy League. Not that they are North Carolina or anything, but winning the Ivy football title isn't exactly the same thing as making the Sweet 16.
True, but irrelevant in that we're talking specifically about winning the Ivy title. Penn has been a powerhouse in Ivy football in the recent past just as much as they have in basketball. (While they haven't won as many football titles as basketball since, say, 1980, they haven't had a foil in football on par with Princeton in basketball either.)

Getting back to the original point, I can see where Bill was coming from, since this is a hockey board and people who are hockey fans first and foremost might tend to de-emphasize the Penn rivalry (which is, perhaps, as much of a one-sport rivalry as the Harvard rivalry or, in the spring, the Princeton rivalry) since the pansies dropped their program rather than take their whippings like adults.

Date: November 19, 2009 05:49AM

If you mean Penn dropping hockey, that must have outraged a bunch of alumni who built the Quakers a pretty nice rink (Class of '23 Rink) in the late sixties only to see Penn drop the sport circa 1972. I believe it had a glassed in booth on steel piers at center ice where those alums and others who cared about hockey could watch without being drowned out by the thousands - hundreds? - of other Penn fans.

Sure, Cornell and Penn have had a great football rivalry but it was ancient and pretty much past history when Ed Marinaro roamed Schoellkopf and Franklin Field and since the majority of Cornellians were born after Marinaro played, even he must seem ancient. The years pass quickly, from stallion on the field to stud on Hill Street Blues to telling urologist jokes at the Ivy football banquet. (Sort of like the Julia Roberts (?) line about women in film: Your roles are babe, assistant D.A., and Driving Miss Daisy.)

When you see an almost empty Yale Bowl in September (and spent the next couple days picking sharp edged paint chips out of your butt) that's a reminder of long-faded glory. Franklin Field is worse because the steel girders and overhang make it look like something out of fright movie, plus it's usually bitterly cold. It's good for Penn that it can win at something.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: November 19, 2009 08:49AM

billhoward
(and spent the next couple days picking sharp edged paint chips out of your butt)

Now that is exactly the mental image I needed to wake me up and get me going this morning...

Date: November 19, 2009 10:53AM

billhoward
The years pass quickly, from stallion on the field to stud on Hill Street Blues to telling urologist jokes at the Ivy football banquet.

You can't leave out perhaps Ed's greatest achievement: portraying Joey Buttafuoco in "Amy Fisher: My Story".

Date: November 19, 2009 01:12PM

nyc94
billhoward
The years pass quickly, from stallion on the field to stud on Hill Street Blues to telling urologist jokes at the Ivy football banquet.

You can't leave out perhaps Ed's greatest achievement: portraying Joey Buttafuoco in "Amy Fisher: My Story".
Was that the one with Alyssa Milano?

Date: November 19, 2009 01:40PM

Josh '99
nyc94
billhoward

Was that the one with Alyssa Milano?

No. And it wasn't the one with Drew Barrymore either. Each of the three major broadcast networks made a movie and thankfully I was out of the country when they aired in late 1992/early 1993. From what I just found in a New York Times piece from 1993, CBS had "Casualties of Love: The 'Long Island Lolita' Story" starring Alyssa Milano which was based on rights bought from the Buttafuocos. NBC had "Amy Fisher: My Story" which starred Marinaro and Noelle Parker (who would go on to appear in Clerks). NBC paid Amy Fisher for her story. ABC had "The Amy Fisher Story" starring Drew Barrymore. If I recall correctly, Saturday Night Live made fun of this with promos for Masterpiece Theater's take on the story as well as BET's.

Posted by: billhoward (65.88.88.---)
Date: November 19, 2009 03:58PM

nyc94
No. And it wasn't the one with Drew Barrymore either. Each of the three major broadcast networks made a movie and thankfully I was out of the country when they aired in late 1992/early 1993. From what I just found in a New York Times piece from 1993, CBS had "Casualties of Love: The 'Long Island Lolita' Story" starring Alyssa Milano which was based on rights bought from the Buttafuocos. NBC had "Amy Fisher: My Story" which starred Marinaro and Noelle Parker (who would go on to appear in Clerks). NBC paid Amy Fisher for her story. ABC had "The Amy Fisher Story" starring Drew Barrymore. If I recall correctly, Saturday Night Live made fun of this with promos for Masterpiece Theater's take on the story as well as BET's.

eLynah - priceless. Who needs Wikipedia or IMDB? Thank you.

Date: November 19, 2009 05:01PM

nyc94
Noelle Parker (who would go on to appear in Clerks).

Sort of.

I have to say, I didn't even know this existed.

Date: November 19, 2009 05:26PM

jtwcornell91
nyc94

Sort of.

I'm not sure I did either. Keri Russell? JIM BREUER as Randal? Wow.

Date: November 19, 2009 05:37PM

jtwcornell91
Sort of.

Neither did I. As the only one of the three Amy Fisher's whose name I did not recognize I just clicked on her name and saw Clerks, I should have caught it right away that the year is wrong and it says "TV". Whoever she is she did appear in some episodes of "Sisters" which also starred Ed Marinaro.

Date: November 19, 2009 07:50PM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
nyc94

Sort of.

I'm not sure I did either. Keri Russell? JIM BREUER as Randal? Wow.

I like how Kevin Smith pointed out he owned the rights to Jay and Silent Bob, so they changed the name to "Ray".

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: November 21, 2009 03:15PM

Cornell is being embarrassed right now at Penn, even with our lowered expectations. Only about 30 offensive yards for the Big Red as of mid 3rd quarter, and only 1 or 2 first downs.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2009 04:39PM

imafrshmn
Cornell is being embarrassed right now at Penn, even with our lowered expectations. Only about 30 offensive yards for the Big Red as of mid 3rd quarter, and only 1 or 2 first downs.

I hate to call for anybody's head, but if you care to have any semblance of a respectable program, you can't keep the staff after such a non-competitive season.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: November 21, 2009 05:01PM

scoop85
imafrshmn

I hate to call for anybody's head, but if you care to have any semblance of a respectable program, you can't keep the staff after such a non-competitive season.

Yeah, I agree with you. The minimum you should expect a coaching staff to do is to make the best team with whatever talent they've got. We know that we have, by a stroke of luck, a few players with near all-ivy skills (Liuzza, Walters, Costello, Fenton, Barbour, Ambrosi come to mind). We know that the team made huge preseason commitments to practice and conditioning and details. We also have heard time after time that the players have brought about a "culture of winning" (whatever that means). I'm not a savvy enough football fan to be able to prove that we've been outcoached in any of our losing efforts, but I don't see any other way to explain the losses to Dartmouth and Princeton. The defensive line was admittedly a key weakness for this team, but then part of the blame goes to the staff for recruiting guys too small for this league. On top of everything, even if a team undergoes a "culture change," there's something to be said for distrust and disrespect of the coaches by the players--deep seated feelings that can undermine the whole operation. Knowles may well be a nice guy, proud Cornellian, etc., but he's got to take some of the blame for this season and consider stepping down soon, if only to let the team start afresh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 05:03PM by imafrshmn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login