Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

FB: Cornell 17 @ Dartmouth 20 (OT final)

Posted by billhoward 
FB: Cornell 17 @ Dartmouth 20 (OT final)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 02:27PM

Lots of total yardage but just one score into the third quarter, Cornell 7-0. Bunch of turnovers, missed FGs.

Bryan Walters sets Ivy league career record for return yardage. Punts attempted you'd think would be likelier odds for an Ivy record.

[add] Ater 3 stright misses dating back to Princeton, Greenway nails a 25 yard FG to make it 10-0 late in third.

After 3 quarters, Cornell is 1x8 on third down conversions.

[add] Third quarter, Cornell recovers a Dartmouth fumbled in their red zone, tosses an interception. Early in fourth, Cornell recovers a Dartmouth flubbed punt, throws an interception deep in D territory two plays later.

[add] Dartmouth runs 52 yards on the next play for a TD. So much for a shutout. Now to protect the win. Or tie. Loooong season.

[add] Dartmouth FG ties the game 10-10 about 2 mins to play.

[add] Last minute Cornell runs not pases into Dartmouth territory including a nice 3rd-and-long draw play, gets down to Dartmouth 17, calls timeout with 0:02 left. 35 yard field goal by Brad Greenway blocked to send game to OT.

[add] Cornell on offense first. Walters catches TD pass, Greenway PAT, 17-10, Dartmouth gets possession now.

[add] Dartmouth possession, Dartmouth scores to make it 17-16, rolls the dice, goes for 2 point conversion, Cornell calls timeout, Dartmouth reconsiders, kicks PAT. At least Buddy Teevens made it exciting.

[add] Dartmouth gets next possession, penalties push back them to 43 yard line. Dartmouth 40-year FG attempt on 4th and 8 good. Dartmouth up 20-17. Cornell needs FG to tie, TD to win.

[add] Cornell second OT possession. Greenway 36 yard FG attempt goes wide. Final, D20-17.
Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 03:39PM by billhoward.

Re: FB: Cornell 17 @ Dartmouth 10 (OT not final)
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 03:24PM

And a Dartmouth TD. Looks like they're going for two and the win.

Saner heads prevail and they kick to tie it.

Ten-point lead blown in the fourth against a terrible team.help

Sorry to say it, but Cornell football just sucks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 03:40PM by Al DeFlorio.

Re: FB: Cornell 17 @ Dartmouth 20 (OT final)
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 03:40PM

I'd say this team has hit rock bottom but it still has to play Columbia.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 03:40PM

Greenway misses another kick in 2nd OT and Dartmouth wins, 20-17. Not to be lost in all this is that Cornell blew a 10-0 4th quarter lead to an awful team (last week we blew a 4th quarter lead to an equally bad Princeton team).

So, I guess it means that we're pretty bad (but we already knew that).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 03:44PM

Maybe this will finally shake up the AD.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 03:50PM

Jim Hyla

6 years sliding in the same direction.

Date: November 07, 2009 04:05PM

This brilliant new idea will, I'm sure, fix everything: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Of course, the new "victory song" and the "victory bell" accomplished a lot, too.pain

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 04:08PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla

6 years sliding in the same direction.

Quaint that Wikipedia in the Jim Knowles season-by-season box has has a highlighter color for a season marked National Championship in addition to League Championship.

Have to feel bad for the players. Some are as skilled as anyone else in the league and everyone is probably working just as hard - harder with those Marine advisor 5:30 a.m. drills - as the other teams but it's all not clicking. They are on the cusp of finishing the season (negative woofing, here) with eight straight losses. And so with five and half decades of Ivy League football play, we have three ties for the title to show for our efforts. I think we are now mathmatically out of the race.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.srmd01.resnet.ubc.ca)
Date: November 07, 2009 04:08PM

Bypassing the obvious "how would we know?" joke... there's a victory bell? demented

Date: November 07, 2009 04:09PM

I didn't realize Knowles was an assistant coach at Cornell for 9 seasons prior to getting his first head coach gig. He's put a huge chunk of his life into the program, and it's good that the AD didn't just kick him to the curb for a losing season or two. But it's hard to find a reason to believe things will turn around. The record is established, now, and we just continue to fall behind the rest of the conference. :-/

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 04:09PM

I've met Jim several times. He's an awfully nice guy and seemed to have some traction turning the program around his first year or two, but all that momentum seems to be lost now...

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 04:33PM

Is Maxie Baughan still alive? We showed some signs of life with him. Although I guess there would still be at least one "No" vote in Andy's office.

Date: November 07, 2009 05:02PM

Lauren '06
Bypassing the obvious "how would we know?" joke... there's a victory bell? demented
From an early puff piece on Knowles by Jeremy Hartigan ( [www.ivyleaguesports.com] ):

Knowles still celebrates the school he loves, and not just in a show for recruits. One of the first things he did upon arriving back on campus was to reinstitute and add some Cornell traditions -- singing a new victory song, establishing a victory bell and creating a team toolbox, where each position set picks a tool that represents them and adds it to the box which makes an appearance on the sidelines.

I had forgotten about the "tool box." Aptly named, though.

I think I read somewhere that the "bell" is retired after every ten "victories." I suppose the school can afford a new one every four or five years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 05:04PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 06:26PM

Al DeFlorio
Knowles still celebrates the school he loves, and not just in a show for recruits. One of the first things he did upon arriving back on campus was to reinstitute and add blasphemously modify some Cornell traditions -- singing a new victory song, establishing a victory bell and creating a team toolbox, where each position set picks a tool that represents them and adds it to the box which makes an appearance on the sidelines.

And I had forgotten how much I hated Knowles for banning "Cornell Victorious."

Once again, not that anyone would notice...

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: November 07, 2009 06:29PM

Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
Knowles still celebrates the school he loves, and not just in a show for recruits. One of the first things he did upon arriving back on campus was to reinstitute and add blasphemously modify some Cornell traditions -- singing a new victory song, establishing a victory bell and creating a team toolbox, where each position set picks a tool that represents them and adds it to the box which makes an appearance on the sidelines.

Too bad he didn't ban "Cornell Defeated"

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 06:37PM

imafrshmn
Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio

Too bad he didn't ban "Cornell Defeated"

AKA "Whoopee, Cornell."

Whoopee, Cornell.
Whoopee, Cornell.
Whoopee for the Red and the White.
Whoopee, whoopee,
Whoopee, whoopee,
Whoopee for the Red and the White.

Date: November 07, 2009 09:44PM

TimV
Is Maxie Baughan still alive? We showed some signs of life with him. Although I guess there would still be at least one "No" vote in Andy's office.
With Maxie there were some, er, other issues.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 12:31AM

Trotsky
With Maxie there were some, er, other issues.

Yuh...That's the one "No" vote I was referring to.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 03:50PM

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 04:25PM

That is probably the first reference to The Born Loser as "relevant" ever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login