Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Some competition on the way?

Posted by gored 
Some competition on the way?
Posted by: gored (---.mia.fl.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 09:32AM

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Re: Some competition on the way?
Posted by: gored (---.mia.fl.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 09:34AM

My fav part is how Harvard lowered their admissions standards to help Amaker. No big surprise there.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 05:04PM

gored
My fav part is how Harvard lowered their admissions standards to help Amaker. No big surprise there.
Who cares, they're all going to get A's anyway.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 17, 2009 05:09PM

"Pe'Shon"?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 11:48PM

According to the Cornell Basketball Blog, most of the good players who have Harvard on their short list are also considering scholarship offers from BCS conference schools with top-notch academics (Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc.). Actually, the CBB appears to have a dual mission statement:

1.Promote Cornell basketball

2. Make sure that any high school basketball player who googles "harvard basketball" will find multiple posts detailing everything wrong with Tommy Amaker as a coach.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 08:35AM

ugarte
According to the Cornell Basketball Blog, most of the good players who have Harvard on their short list are also considering scholarship offers from BCS conference schools with top-notch academics (Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc.). Actually, the CBB appears to have a dual mission statement:

2. Make sure that any high school basketball player who googles "harvard basketball" will find multiple posts detailing everything wrong with Tommy Amaker as a coach.

Excellent points. BRF really has it out for Amaker, who seems to be completely changing the nature of recruiting in Ivy hoops (for better or worse). If Amaker actually brings in some of these blue chippers and still can't win, then we'll really know that he can't coach.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2009 05:49PM

scoop85
ugarte

Excellent points. BRF really has it out for Amaker, who seems to be completely changing the nature of recruiting in Ivy hoops (for better or worse). If Amaker actually brings in some of these blue chippers and still can't win, then we'll really know that he can't coach.

As he should.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: August 19, 2009 02:41PM

ugarte
Seems like a noble goal to me. Does anyone really doubt that Amateur will jump ship when a BCS-conference school (yes, I know the BCS is only for football) comes knocking on his door?

Posted by: Swampy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2009 10:57PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Seems like a noble goal to me. Does anyone really doubt that Amateur will jump ship when a BCS-conference school (yes, I know the BCS is only for football) comes knocking on his door?

Does anyone doubt that Donahue would do likewise?

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: August 24, 2009 12:52PM

Josh '99
ugarte
When? What about his performance record at Michigan and Harvard makes you think this is anything but a colossal if?

Also, as Swampy said, who wouldn't? Dunphy left Penn for TEMPLE.

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2009 09:34PM

Steve would definitely jump for the right situation and he should do what is best for his family. Our site would support him.

And can't blame Amaker for bolting cambridge asap either.

The problem with Amaker and Harvard are some of the behind the scenes stuff they have done (like trying to unprofessionally poach one of our recruits while he was visiting our campus). Unfortunately, much of this stuff is not for public consumption and is kept with closed circles.

But even if you are not keyed in to the insider stuff... there is plenty out there for you to judge.

We all know what they tried to do with (1) Zach Rosen and what they did do with (2) Keith Wright and (3) Max Kenyi.

All of the above were BLATANT recruiting violation.

One of my favorites is having Jay Bilas as a guest speaker at the Harvard Prospect Camp (sort of an invite only camp for top H prospects, Cornell has a similar camp). This was the same Jay Bilas that said in February 2009 that every single current ACC player would be the Ivy Player of the Year if they played in the Ivy....and that he himself could've been Ivy POY. Great choice as a speaker for an Ivy program!

The opinions of our Blog are definitely shared elsewhere in the league... and I'm not talking about alums/fans.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 01:22AM

CornellFan
The problem with Amaker and Harvard are some of the behind the scenes stuff they have done (like trying to unprofessionally poach one of our recruits while he was visiting our campus). Unfortunately, much of this stuff is not for public consumption and is kept with closed circles.

But even if you are not keyed in to the insider stuff... there is plenty out there for you to judge.

Is there someone we can PM for details?

Posted by: CornellFan (---.abnamroprime.com)
Date: August 25, 2009 11:38AM

French Rage
CornellFan

Check this post out and go to the bottom for a bunch of links to relevant articles. I suggest checking out "In a New Era at Harvard, New Questions of Standards."

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 05:41PM

French Rage
CornellFan

This is unfair. CF didn't suggest that he would tell anyone anything.

You can draw a line between what one is willing to publish / link to and other information / rumor that colors opinion but isn't sufficiently sourced to feel judgment-proof if you were to publish.

Self-promotional tendencies aside, CF has shown himself to be someone with more than just a Google alert set up for Ivy-basketball related phrases. If he claims to have heard other nasty stuff, I trust that he has heard other nasty stuff and that he isn't willing to stick his neck out about whether it is sufficiently trustworthy to reveal the specifics. "People are talking," if true, is itself worth noting.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 25, 2009 05:54PM

ugarte
French Rage
CornellFan

This is unfair. CF didn't suggest that he would tell anyone anything.

You can draw a line between what one is willing to publish / link to and other information / rumor that colors opinion but isn't sufficiently sourced to feel judgment-proof if you were to publish.

Self-promotional tendencies aside, CF has shown himself to be someone with more than just a Google alert set up for Ivy-basketball related phrases. If he claims to have heard other nasty stuff, I trust that he has heard other nasty stuff and that he isn't willing to stick his neck out about whether it is sufficiently trustworthy to reveal the specifics. "People are talking," if true, is itself worth noting.

I don't doubt either that he has heard stuff, I just hate the whole "I'm going to tell you info exists but not tell you what it is" mentality, if you know stuff and want people to know, tell them, if you don't think they should know (due for example to untrustworthy sources) then don't dangle it out there, otherwise it looks like you want to seem hip for being in the know but don't want to take the leap for what you are in the know about.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 10:22PM

CornellFan is more open than in the past. If he gets zinged occasionally with a "can we PM him for details," it's like war crimes reparations of cyberspace. And it's a reminder to always provide a sliver of value before the link to the blog.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 27, 2009 03:55PM

billhoward
it's like war crimes reparations of cyberspace

It is?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login